NEW REVISION CLASSES PRE'17 History+ Environment+Govt Schemes

Thank you for your tremendous response, to the revision classes for Prelims 2017being conducted in New Delhi. Based on your requests and suggestions, we have come up with new classes as per below schedule
(1)Art & Culture Revision ( REPEAT ) - May 27th & 28th, (2) Modern History ( REPEAT ) - May 30th (3) Govt Schemes + Allied Issues - May 31st (4) Environment & Ecology - Friday, June 2

Seats fill up in a few hours, and we don't plan any more repeat classes, so register early. Click Here to get more details and register early to avoid inconvenience. All revision classes will be held from 5PM to 8PM.

Which coaching class to join for essay writing: Vaji or Ramaswamy?

edited August 2014 in Essay
please suggest which of two will be better to join. havent written any essay after 12 th class.
can we prepare on our own or there is some value addition done by these classes?
·

Comments

• s k manocha teaches in vajiram for essay?
    ·
  • Today in paper i have seen his ad for essay
    ·
  • @daljett
    Probably what u need is to give essay tests followed by good discussions. Classes won't help much, and if u have a good command over GS, an optimum writing practice may do wonders for u.
    One fairly decent option is to join Mains Test Series at GS Score, in case u haven't joint any other. Here essay tests are included.
    Psst.. Avoid Ramaswamy.
    ·
  • Join ANY essay class. Write just a few essays before your first one. Thats it. As far as Rama is concerned, he is difficult to tolerate. His classes are too early in the morning and you wont be allowed in late. Its a big pain.

But yes his pointers are very useful. A friend's sister who cracked IAS had recommended me Rama, and I joined it. Whatever gyan he gave me , helped my score rise from 81/200 (awesome essay by my style ) to 105+/ 200 and 125/ 250 (Rama style, but crappy by my standards)

Manocha is also also good, and if you join GS Score, don't take any additional one, just write the free essay tests with GS Score.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • What about Shabbir Ahmed of Vajiram... ?
    ·
  • thanks @Neyawn @takla_makaaan
    As this my first attempt so i have joined vajiram essay module
    here are things i got from the classes:

use normal language with short sentences, so less grammatical errors

one idea one paragraph ; start paragraph with idea that paragraph is to convey

short and crisp intro that catches eye of examiner, a quote or ante code or a general statement

show your love for country , mahatama gandhi, vivekanand

dont rebel against established ideas like democracy , values enshrined in preamble

show optimism about country's future
    empathy, commitment for social development

read topic and understand the topic completely before attempting, like if topic is woman empowerment in indian homes .write in relation of homes only

dont show religious , regional , school of thought biases

write a structured and organized essay

never digress from topic , be repetitive or beat around the bush

choose topic which you have clear idea not one you only have vague ideas

intro and conclusion shouldnt go against the title

conclusion should be natural in flow, not forced or abrupt

always revise for spelling , grammar

if topic is science is panacea , say it is panacea . don't give anti arguments. if topic is 'is science a panacea?'then give both sides

dont use technical jargon

good quotations and data enriches one's essay

various ideas have to fused together

number of words dont matter content is what matters.

@Neyawn can you please some extra points you got from rama? cant join both now. thanks
    ·
  • @daljett Yes, these are precisely the things, but people tend to follow more sincerely when a teacher tells them to do so, and they have paid money for it, rather than reading it as free advice here. Hence i suggest Ramaswamy. (I heard about his accident, not sure if he himself is going to take the classes, and I am no more located in delhi)

One more thing, which worked in my favour was he clearly told not to take up subjective topics, or philosophical ones, (despite my Philo optional). I followed his advice and did not choose Gandhi or colonial mentality because that would have been risky. I chose S & T, and it paid off with a decent 125. I did not seek any more or any less than that.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • Join ANY essay class. Write just a few essays before your first one. Thats it. As far as Rama is concerned, he is difficult to tolerate. His classes are too early in the morning and you wont be allowed in late. Its a big pain.

But yes his pointers are very useful. A friend's sister who cracked IAS had recommended me Rama, and I joined it. Whatever gyan he gave me , helped my score rise from 81/200 (awesome essay by my style ) to 105+/ 200 and 125/ 250 (Rama style, but crappy by my standards)

Manocha is also also good, and if you join GS Score, don't take any additional one, just write the free essay tests with GS Score.
    @Neyawn @daljett
    Hi pls tell me that is it a good idea to explicitly or implicitly explain the KEY TERMS of the Topic at the start, say in intro??

Also is it good to lucidly explain the "Meaning of Topic" so that the examiner is assured that the candidatd has understood the topic??

@Neyawn

I will be thankful if u cud tell me how did u start ur intro of S&T this yr. How long it was?

If possible do tell me something abt ur "style" which did no good to u (81marks in 2011??). I am frm IIM n i guess upsc has some different (basic/low level) expectation in essay??

Thanks
    ·
  • Called ramaswamy and he said that classes will start from 19th and there will be 8 classess and 10 tests!
    Will he check the copy for those 10 tests or are they just filler to sell his classroom programme.
    @neyawn as you have done classes can you tell how is copy checking in his institute. Will he provide specific feedback on pages or just a few general comments in the beginning
    ·
  • @woorang I had the same qs. Was a bit unsure about how the feedback would be. Also is there a only test series option? @Neyawn kindly share your thoughts.
    1st attempt - 2014: written Mains. Could not clear.
    Optional: Pol Sc
    ·
  • He said only test series is open for his old students only. I asked why? he said you dont know how to write an essay how can i allow you in test series only. First i will teach you how to write./ :-/
    ·
  • He said only test series is open for his old students only. I asked why? he said you dont know how to write an essay how can i allow you in test series only. First i will teach you how to write./ :-/
    So the world according to him is divided into 2 - those you have been guided by him and those who have no idea about essays!
    1st attempt - 2014: written Mains. Could not clear.
    Optional: Pol Sc
    ·
  • @RahulBalakrishnan LolMax

He is a huge pain to tolerate I admit. He will check in front of you. He will write comments that you won't be able to understand at all. He will give you 2-3 minutes each.

He is arrogant and all that. See basically essay isn't rocket science. He will tell you precisely the points daljeet has mentioned. But he will make you implement those points. Thats the benefit. If you can do that on your own and have enough self discipline do it on your own.

Else join anyone guys. You will never have wrong guidance for essay anywhere (usually). Just do write a few essays before you write it there
    ·
  • @rahulbalakrishnan =))
    @Neyawn will he really evaluate 10 essays. I really doubt that.
    ·
  • edited September 2014
    @daljett
    dude, i missed my 11th sep essay class in vajiram .. could you brief what did he taught ? i dont know anyone else who has joined the program .
    thanks
    Optional Mathematics
    ·

He is a huge pain to tolerate I admit. He will check in front of you. He will write comments that you won't be able to understand at all. He will give you 2-3 minutes each.

He is arrogant and all that. See basically essay isn't rocket science. He will tell you precisely the points daljeet has mentioned. But he will make you implement those points. Thats the benefit. If you can do that on your own and have enough self discipline do it on your own.

Else join anyone guys. You will never have wrong guidance for essay anywhere (usually). Just do write a few essays before you write it there
    Rama will speak so fast while giving feedback that you won't understand a thing. He is idiosyncratic, finicky, thinks you are a fool. You can't stand outside his class to discuss, you can't leave early even if you have a really serious issue to attend. In first 2 classes he tells what @daljett has told above. You can't move your head in his class. He usually comes late to class and over shoots timw sometimes by 2 hours :P
    ·

Rama will speak so fast while giving feedback that you won't understand a thing. He is idiosyncratic, finicky, thinks you are a fool. You can't stand outside his class to discuss, you can't leave early even if you have a really serious issue to attend. In first 2 classes he tells what @daljett has told above. You can't move your head in his class. He usually comes late to class and over shoots timw sometimes by 2 hours :P
    Strange...
    ·
  • hey guys how did you find the essay checking at vajiram ... i wrote on "democracy at crossroads " .. it was my first essay and to my surprise he gave 140 (was expecting it to be a blunder )
    has he been this generous to everyone? or just encouragement because of first test?
    in the remarks section too he just praised it.. no critical remarks nothing ... now i dont know what to improve upon ...
    Optional Mathematics
    ·
  • @mp_ias great score i think you must have written a good essay to score good marks. i wrote on have our leaders failed us one. got 125 with paragraph wise critical comments and even an overall perspective where i went wrong and improvements to be made.
    ·
  • @daljett dude how many words did you write ... i.wrote around 1200 words but as upsc limit is 2400 words ... are you sticking to shabbir's idea of writing short essays ? if yes , were you able to do justice to all the relevant ideas in 1200 words . some of my friends have contrary opinion of writing long essays as we are writing for 250 marks.

as in my essay i talked only about indian democracy while the topic was a generic one .. .. in conclusion too i wanted to write more but ended it abruptly as i started half an hour late.

Optional Mathematics
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google