ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Discussion for Physics Optional for Mains 2014

edited September 2015 in Physics & Chemistry
Use this thread to post your queries.
·

Comments

• How many people here have physics as optional ?
    All good things are wild and free
    ·
  • Are vajpayee's notes available online?
    ·
  • abhijeet agrawal' s blog has good compilation of notes plus problems : http://abhijeetagrawal.blogspot.in/2012/03/new-addition-of-notes-books-of-physics.html

ps : though the humongous amount of references mentioned by him not for weak hearts . :P
    jungle jungle baat chali hai pata chala hai .......
    Hakuna Matata , What a wonderful phrase
    Hakuna Matata , Ain't no passing craze
    ·
  • Hope all have dias tutorial sheets. Can directly quote question no. from there, in case of doubts.
    ·
  • People, where are you doing superconductors from, and in how much detail? I havent done this topic before, so its giving me some trouble. A wide range of questions have been asked. My take, it should be done superficially from a 10 marker point of view. Can someone please enlist the topics to be covered, and possibly the source?
    ·
  • People, where are you doing superconductors from, and in how much detail? I havent done this topic before, so its giving me some trouble. A wide range of questions have been asked. My take, it should be done superficially from a 10 marker point of view. Can someone please enlist the topics to be covered, and possibly the source?
    Most people leave it. I have done basic Boolean part, gates and K-maps etc.
    I don't find it worth doing as ROI is very low. Also I had tough time last year to revise everything in one day.
    So I would recommend to do only those topics which you are already familiar with. Leave the rest and use the options available in the paper.
    ·
    i am enlisting topics to be done in superconductivity . Most of them are straight forward and no need to refer any book , just search for ' introductory superconductivity ' on net and go through topics. As @image_1 said this is bad roi if you spend more than three- four days on it . After searching and going through the topics just solve previous year questions which are mostly formula substitution or qualitative explanation like 'what is the difference between " etc ( seven- eight questions in 15 years ,though in recent times expect at least one question)

1. properties of superonductor:
    a. Critical temp
    b.persistent current
    c. thermoelectric properties
    d. magnetic properties (perfect diamagnetism) ( little bit of qualitative detail) Meissener efffect
    e Specific heat

2. difference between type 1 and type 2 SC and examples

3.some theoretical models explaining above properties
    a. London equation
    b.qualitative BCS theory (not mathematical model,just approach and consequence)

4. Other observed properties
    a. Supercurrent tunneling : Josephson tunneling and applications (SQUID )
    b.Flux quantization (extra, may skip it)

5.high temp superconductors : just examples and a bit of idea about how it is different from normal (this is new topic so theory aspect will not come) :-B
    ·
  • If someone has DIAS tutorial sheets for practice. or any other alternative for topic wise questions kindly share. Also are topic/chapter wise prev. years questions available ?
    ·
  • If someone has DIAS tutorial sheets for practice. or any other alternative for topic wise questions kindly share. Also are topic/chapter wise prev. years questions available ?
    dude you can download it from abhijit's blog . he has put up topic wise except for current (2011,12,13). :-B
    ·

dude you can download it from abhijit's blog . he has put up topic wise except for current (2011,12,13). :-B
    Thanks ! I already downloaded from there. I was looking for an updated list or else we can update that list ?
    ·
  • sure. i am presently solving optics part will try to put up questions relating to them . you can do the same for other parts. @image_1
    ·
  • edited August 2014
    sure. i am presently solving optics part will try to put up questions relating to them . you can do the same for other parts. @image_1
    @scoobydoo Ok then, I will start with mechanics. will upload them soon.
    ·
  • https://www.evernote.com/shard/s429/sh/fc317acf-c3a7-4719-81a5-59eed0629f18/835c19cb750ab62f3887dd8660424f2c

Try this for optics and mechanics. Only because i did these a while ago, so managed this silly business. I dont have for other units.
    ·
  • Sorry em and optics.
    ·
  • Caltech has made all three volumes of The Feynman Lectures On Physics available for free online reading.

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Sorry to gatecrash, but just read this in the news and thought it might be useful to you guys for your optional. :)
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
    ·
  • Caltech has made all three volumes of The Feynman Lectures On Physics available for free online reading.

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Sorry to gatecrash, but just read this in the news and thought it might be useful to you guys for your optional. :)
    already have the pir*ted version like most of the physics lovers /students :D But guess now will have one less guilt . :P
    Thanks though.
    ·
  • Has anyone joined Vajpayee Sir's Physics test series, which has started from 31 August 2014? If so, kindly inform me about the topic and venue for the next week's test.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google