MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening)-5:15PM - 7:15PM & 29th June (Morning)-11AM-1PM ; FREE SEMINAR ON 25TH JUNE, 5.15PM Subject To Availability Of Seats
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal(Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar(Rank-200, 2016) (3) Athar Aamir 1st booklet and 2nd booklet(Rank-2)
ForumIAS Community Meet 2017 on 25th June at 11 AM - You are invited

Dear Friends, ForumIAS Annual Community Meet will be held on June 25th at 11AM in Old Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi. The Chief Guest for the event will be Suharsh Bhagat, IAS Rank 5, CSE 2014. Come join us , and meet ForumIAS members who have secured ranks this year. Click here to register

Sociology as an optional.

Hi everyone,

I have taken Sociology as one of my optional subjects and even started the coaching for the same recently.
Wanted to know the references and resources and the approach to study this subject from the experienced people in this forum with this subject as their optional.

It will be really helpful if you guys can share your views for the same.

:-)
·

Comments

• @Apoorva
    have you gone through the sociology discussions in this forum? if not please do
    http://forumias.com/categories/sociology
    One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
    ·
  • @khajoor thanks, I missed that :)
    ·
  • Even I have sociology as one of my option. After all RnD i have zeroed down on Ignou notes and feel they are comprehensive and cover all most the entire syllabus.

any one 1 knows good source for chapter 3 of paper 1 . Kindy mention here .
    Thanks in advance!!!
    "All is Well"
    ·
  • @Vikram12345 IGNOU BA and MA notes ??
    ·
  • Ignou BA + patla wala haralambos ... sufficient for entire syllabus
    "All is Well"
    ·
  • Though I have no knowledge of socio, but that won't shy me away from sharing my gyan with the janta :P

One of my awesome friends just made small notes of that "patla wala" haralambos , and score 189. When I met him after the interview, he was pretty elated, and said that he was riding on socio.

When the marks came, 189 he scored in one paper. The other paper he got only 106, (from an earlier score of 154), which pulled him down. I'll see if I can get him to share some gyan here :P
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • hehe, his gyan will be a lot helpful.

as it is of I have heard, ask not those who have done it, but those who could not ! :D
    ·
  • Though I have no knowledge of socio, but that won't shy me away from sharing my gyan with the janta :P

One of my awesome friends just made small notes of that "patla wala" haralambos , and score 189. When I met him after the interview, he was pretty elated, and said that he was riding on socio.

When the marks came, 189 he scored in one paper. The other paper he got only 106, (from an earlier score of 154), which pulled him down. I'll see if I can get him to share some gyan here :P
    saar you told to have his views about paper 1 to be shared here. if its possible , kindly arrange it plz. It will of great help as only one book for paper 1 is very much convenient then juggling between 3-4 books. plz.
    ·
  • Hi everyone,

I have taken Sociology as one of my optional subjects and even started the coaching for the same recently.
    Wanted to know the references and resources and the approach to study this subject from the experienced people in this forum with this subject as their optional.

It will be really helpful if you guys can share your views for the same.

:-)
    bhai/ miss B-)

i just knw abt socio in hindi
    but can still say that notes of Ramaswamy are good enough.
    ·
  • refer to this link to know the book list
    http://www.nice-ias.com/recommend_books_sociology.html

and follow the strategy from the link
    http://www.nice-ias.com/study_material_sociology.pdf
    ·
  • For paper 1, ignou (BA), I took mohapatra sir's classes so I rely on his notes n horlombos (though I'd suggest reading it selectively, focussing on those concepts where other material is insufficient or where u feel the need to get some clarity).

In my experience, reading too many things in socio doesn't ensure marks, but practicing writing answers with a sociological approach makes a hell lot of difference. That sets your socio answer apart from a gs answer especially in paper 2 where there's no dearth of material and all of it pretty much overlaps with gs stuff. So try practicing answer writing and get them evaluated by someone experienced.
    ·
  • edited March 2013
    class notes of any teacher can only help in knowing the parameters of study and attending classes can help in building concepts and minimizing the time in understanding, but to have a grip on the subject which is must to score good, you need to read some standard books and prepare your own synopsis.
    ·
  • Hi everyone,
    Please help me regarding optional Sociology.I am interested in it.But does it require excellent vocab.To write answer required in mains,can we study from the books and write or we should analyse and think to create something out of world.

For subjects like geography,anthropology everything will come from books.Is it a case with sociology also.Please reply .Thank you
    ·
  • @sai you will need to get creative for sociology unlike the more scientific subjects like geography, anthropology etc. Writing skill and style will come into play here.
    ·
  • saisai
    edited May 2013
    Thank you very much for the reply . I have about 2 years time and can work hard to spend 3 hours study for a subject .Which subject is best for me among Geography,Sociology and Anthropology.

Does Anthropology required biology background,as i don't know good biology.But i am interested in Sociology. But i am thinking again because in geography,anthropology candidates got even 400 plus marks,highly scoring and don't know whether any one got 400plus in Sociology.

I am from B.tech C.S.E background .Can't we secure good score of above 300/500 in Sociology with hard work , study and practice tests vigorously . If not , with which subject among these three. I want to know the subject among these 3, which guarantees good score with hard work .I am going to join coaching for optional this week, Please reply as early as possible.Thank you.

·
  • Any one please help me about my question on optional as early as possible
    ·
  • Guys what about scores in socio mains this year? What's been the general level?
    ·
  • @sai... have u finalized ur optional?
    ·
  • Which postal test series is better vision ias or Praveen kishore for sociology?
    ·
  • [Download] Sociology Mains: IGNOU BA, MA (No registration), Topper Notes, Last 34 years Question papers (1979-2012), NCERT, NIOS
    http://mrunal.org/2013/06/download-sociology-ignou-ba-ma-no-registration-ncert-nios-topper-notes-last-34-years-question-papers-1979-2012.html
    You may be a king or a little street sweeper,but sooner or later you dance with the reaper!
    ·
  • edited April 2016
    did anyone here attend Praveen Kishore's Regular classroom for Sociology?...please give review of his classes!
    ·
  • edited June 2013
    sociology ignou lecture series..

·
  • edited April 2016
    hi
    anyone joined praveen kishore -nice ias classroom program or test series? Please review the same.
    thanks
    ·
  • edited April 2016
    this will help a bit

sociology resource from net

·
  • Today I went to Old Rajendra Nagar, kumar book store to buy sociology notes by Mahapatra sir. But they showed hand written notes in a set of 4 books at Rs.700. I didn't get it if people refer these notes or there is something like printed ones which might be distributed by vaji ram institute. Though I bought these notes, but still want to know whether I did the right thing. If someone is aware of such notes, please suggest.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google