"I really don't think there is anything that is better structured and more interactive in regard to Mains than the ForumIAS Mains Guidance Program." - Mitali Sethi (IAS-2016, AIR-56)
MGP Schedule C - Admissions Open Now!
Click here to read more
*Limited Seats. First Come, First Serve basis only.
ForumIAS Mains Orientation Session on June 24 at 11 AM

ForumIAS will be conducting an Orientation Session for Mains 2017 on June 24 at 11AM. The agenda of the session will be to discuss (1) Mains Guidance Plan along with sources and time management techniques (2) Toppers Talk with Prajit Nair ( AIR 87 ) who will discuss his detailed strategy for Mains Preparation. The event is specially for MGP Students / MGP interested students / Mains Marathon Followers but can be attended by all. Click here to register ( Mandatory)

Note : A second Open to All Session will be conducted soon with MGP Student Mittali Sethi in the coming days.
MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening)-5:15PM - 7:15PM & 29th June (Morning)-11AM-1PM ; FREE SEMINAR ON 25TH JUNE, 5.15PM Subject To Availability Of Seats
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal(Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar(Rank-200, 2016) (3) Athar Aamir 1st booklet and 2nd booklet(Rank-2)

Anyone here with Statistics as optional subject?

edited September 2015 in Mathematics & Statistics
Hoping against hope to find at least one person who has written/going to write CSE with stats as optional subject.
Attempt # 3 | Statistics optional | RBI Grade B Officer
·

Comments

• edited June 2014
    bro i have finalised my optional as statistics.

have juggled among a no of options. recentl pol sci was on my list. i have filled the form this year also with pol sci. changed it to stats yesterday itself.

i am a bba grad with 3.5 yrs work ex in finance sector. currently student actuarial society india.
    Character has to be established through a thousand stumbles...
    ·
  • great! how much syllabus have u covered?
    guide me something about ur strategy... i wud be taking exam in 2015
    ·
  • anyone giving mains 2014 with statistics?
    ·
  • Hii guys.. Can you suggest the book list for statistics. I am too an actuarial student. Hey woodpecker, we think alike I guess ;) We can prepare statistics. Though I shall be preparing for 2015 as I failed in prelims 2014.(Yes, my score is that bad- No hope at all)
    ·
  • @Woodpecker yaar, I have taken statistics as my optional for ifs...pls provide me a booklist...I had done few courses in probability and hypothesis testing etc...but the syllabus demands many other stuff...pls guide
    ·
  • @JKN and @Woodpecker we can be in contact via gtalk. It seems that very few people over here have stats as optional.

BTW i have covered some 50% of the syllabus. I plan to finish the syllabus by december.

post your strategies too.... its important that we discuss our strategies on open forum so that future aspirants have some sort of an idea about stats optional.
    ·
  • JKNJKN
    edited September 2014
    I am just starting my prep for ifs statistics...as I searched through the net, I found out this website...http://www.civilserviceindia.com/subject/Statistics/strategy.html ...check out the booklist
    @naveenkr12 pls share ur booklist and any pdfs which u may have
    ·
  • @JKN - i have seen this list but it looks pretty simplistic to me

till now i have covered the part-A of paper 1 and topics under optimization technique in paper-2

regarding sources - in strictest sense i have referred to a lot of books and academic papers of prestigious foreign universities for note making but i'll list my primary sources for a first hand reference.

1. for core probability (like PIE and baye's theorem) part i am practicing previous year's IITJEE Mains (subjective) questions... didn't need to refer any theory here

2. for the topics before convergence I have primarily relied on V K Rohatgi and sometimes Nitis Mukhopadhyay too

3. from convergence onwards i started from some general academic papers of different universities available on internet and after I got hold of the concept I read Casella (only some portions are good) and VK Rohatgi. But I feel that Rohatgi alone will not suffice for this topic as some topics like characteristic function and some proofs are missing here.

4. for the statistical inference part I am primarily relying on my institute's professor's notes (Prof somesh kumar) whose lecture you can access on NPTEL too. But just to fill the vacuum of theory I refer to Casella Berger too which also have dealt with the concept part quite nicely. I haven't read Rohatgi for this portion, yet so can't comment on them.

The optimization technique part is lengthy and bulky. I'll write down my booklist on this some time later.

You too should write about your sources and strategies.
    ·
  • my booklist @JKN and @naveenkr12

1. Rohatgi and saleh intro to probability and statistics
    2. Casella - Inference
    3. Mathematical statistics - Gupta kapoor
    4. Prob, RV and RV Process- Schaum's outline
    5. CT3 book SoA
    4. Applied Statistics- gupta kapoor
    5. Linear Statistical Inference and its Applications by Rao
    6. Stochastic process by SM Ross
    7. Sampling techniques by Corchan

i refer youtube videos and nptel videos for the other parts.
    ·
  • How much have you people covered? anyone taking CSM 2014?
    @JKN @IAS2014 @Woodpecker
    ·
  • edited November 2014
    How much have you people covered? anyone taking CSM 2014?
    @JKN @IAS2014 @Woodpecker
    nope. failed in prelims. done with 75% of the syllabus. need practice though. also facing some problems solving previous years questions. some questions are really tough. :-/ :((

after solving past year papers i know one thing working on proofs is very very important. .

@naveenkr12 bro can you share some of the pdf's (academic papers) i don't have access to them, also have lost many of the books and articles gathered over time in an unfortunate incident. :P
    ·
  • how was the statistics paper?
    can anyone upload it please?
    @Woodpecker @JKN @ias_2014
    ·
  • does anyone of you know from where to do psychometry, demography, price index and data collection topics?
    ·
  • @naveenkr12 @Woodpecker I wrote the mains last week with Pub Ad, got totally screwed. For next year, I am considering switching to Statistics. I have worked for over 2 years as a Data Analyst and have basic understanding of Probability, Hypotheses Testing, Significance Testing and Linear Models. Can you please guide me on whether it would be a good idea to choose this subject, and if yes then how time will be needed to cover the syllabus? Thanks for the booklist.
    Neither here nor there, yet.
    ·
  • yahan koi isi ya dse ka student nahi hai? any iitian? du? with stats?
    ·
  • edited December 2014
    @Vikoh Stats is a good subject (not much syllabus plus scoring, at least I like to believe so :P ) but you won't find many taking it so no scope for guidance like other science subjects.
    @VIP I am from IIT Kharagpur. What abt you? Is stats your optional?
    ·
  • @naveenkr12 you mentioned covering 50% of the syllabus. Can you please let me know how much time that took (number of days and number of hours/day)?
    ·
  • @Vikoh its hard to estimate that as I studied GS side by side too though I can confidently say that 1 year is more than sufficient for stats if you know what to study and from where.

·
  • @naveenkr12 thanks for that. If I can press you further, on an average how many hours a day you devoted to studying Statistics? The reason I ask is that I'll soon take up a job (hopefully) and on an average, would be able to study 4 hours everyday. I can manage GS in 2 hours, will studying Statistics say 1-2 hours everyday from Jan - Oct suffice?
    ·
  • @naveenkr12 I am Computer Engineer from DCE nd read stats for fun ( actually one of my friend is doing PG from DU in stats,so read stats in leisure time).
    Thinking of taking stats as it would help both in CSE and IFos.was trying to find guys/gals from ISI or IIT who have done majors as it helps in prepration be in track. :-*
    ·
  • edited December 2014
    @Vikoh yaar i think it depends from person to person. If you have done enough courses in stats then I think this routine is more than sufficient. 500 hrs is needed for stats, if I can quantify it for you. But again it depends from person to person.

@VIP Though I am not majoring in stats/maths but I have taken many additional courses on it. Why not let us form a study group at forum IAS itself and help each other out. Btw whats your second optional in IFS?
    ·
  • @naveenkr12 ya thats a fantastic idea,lets form a group and discuss important topics and concepts for stats.My second optional is forestry.
    ·
  • @naveenkr12 @VIP yup, forming a group is a good idea, we can keep each other honest apart from sharing stuff and lending a helping hand. Hopefully, we'll find other CSE-2015 aspirants with Statistics optional too.
    I can start a new thread, or we can hijack this one only :D
    ·
  • @Vikoh @VIP let us continue with this thread only... future aspirants will find it easier to go through one thread for all info on stats. Are you ppl just starting with the prep or have given one attempt with stats?
    ·
  • @Vikoh @VIP it would be great if we could make this thread as doubt solving forum... where we can solve both previous yr's ques as well as ques from std texts which we read.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google