[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Prelims 2014 | Important Environment and biodiversity topics.

Environment and ecology has gained big importance in Prelims since the new syllabus. Analyzing last 3 to 4 year question papers there have been nothing less than 10 to 15 or more questions on EnB. This year also we can expect good number of questions in prelims. So here we go-

1. Important protocols/conventions such as Minamata, Kyoto, Whaling, Ramsar etc.
2. Constitutional provisions for Environmental Protection.
3. List of birds/animal species recently in news, for example Houbara Bustard, Bornean Orangutans, Olive ridley etc.
4. Mercury pollution
5. National solar mission
6. National Green Tribunal
7. El Nino/La nina
8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_environmental_issues
9. enhanced energy efficiency
10. Space garbage

Feel free to list the topics which according to you should not be missed/are most improtant.
Chunnu, Munnu De Papa di Gaddi
“जगह मिलने पर साइड देंगे”
·

Comments

• Chunnu, Munnu De Papa di Gaddi
    ·
  • 11. UNEP
    12.Ozone hole
    13.Global warming(co2,co,ch4 etc.)
    14.Acid rain(so2,no2)
    15. carbon trading
    16.ipcc-hot spot of global warming
    17.Green GNP
    18.Food chain vs Food web
    ·
  • 19. Global warming and the Indian coast-line (Predictions for Eastern India :( )
    20. Water conservation + Rainwater harvesting
    21. Green building
    22. Impact of interconnectivity of Indian rivers
    23. Marine pollution + new marine energy sources + impact
    24. Impact of a nuclear power plant on it's surroundings
    25. Ozone hole mending
    26. 3rd Van Allen belt
    27. Changes in the Monsoon
    28. Impact of urbanization on environment
    29. India recently beat China in levels of air pollution
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
    ·
  • 30.Green bond
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
    ·
  • 31. IUCN release every year its red book... any species related to india in that list could be important for exam...
    ·
  • I feel pd Sharma covers all these topics exhaustively,acc to mrunal 45 questions were asked in totality from last 2 prelim papers,so imo EnB as imp as the big 4(polity,eco,hist,geog)if not more!
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
    ·
  • 32. Vulture Conservation (SAVE)
    33. Dugarajapatnam port at pulicat
    34. Siang River In Arunachal
    35. Phailin cyclone
    36. freshwater shrimps in Kerala
    37. Bar coding of trees in western and eastern ghats
    38. Polar vortex
    39. Green rain
    40. Forest rights
    ·
  • 41. Also red rain and raining fish (seriously)
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
    ·
  • hey..what sources are to be followed for ecology? is shankar's ias printed notes enough?
    ·
  • hey..what sources are to be followed for ecology? is shankar's ias printed notes enough?
    i have never read Shankar's ias printed notes so cnt comment but IMO for static topics you can refer any standard book or NIOS material and dynamic topics can be covered through newspapers, internet and magazines.
    ·
  • edited May 2014
    I dont pick topic wise , instead I learned basic NCERT books like Physics[i'm loving this subject] , Chemistry[still cant impress me :( ] and Biology .

Then went for basic Physical Geography with the same source books [certain NIOS too there]

Finally to get everything gel properly had read Lucent GK with solving previous questions [Disha publishers previous 19 years GS ].

Never did this type of 'elaborate' prep during my previous attempts . This time want to make no stones unturned. @Evil_Empire
    2017--> 8th attempt
    ·
  • I dont pick topic wise , instead I learned basic NCERT books like Physics[i'm loving this subject] , Chemistry[still cant impress me :( ] and Biology .

Then went for basic Physical Geography with the same source books [certain NIOS too there]

Finally to get everything gel properly had read Lucent GK with solving previous questions [Disha publishers previous 19 years GS ].

Never did this type of 'elaborate' prep during my previous attempts . This time want to make no stones unturned. @Evil_Empire
    Even i follow the same strategy of reading ncerts and some standard books but for EnB i am most confused because no book can cover this topic exhaustively. Topic wise preparation for EnB can be helpul i guess. For subjects like Geo, History, polity, culture, economy i do multiple revisions from recommended books that helps me to retain things for longer time. For S&T dynamic portion we can do topic wise preparation. Will form separate thread for S&T in june first week.
    And this is your year Vibin bhai, you will make it. All the best!!!!!!
    \m/
    ·
  • edited May 2014
    these are more related to current aff and seem imp in the coming times.

42. assessment of napcc programs
    43. topics related to forests cover (% distri overall, specific inc or dec in hills/plains/othr areas, how to increase overall, cause of decrease, etc)

Appeared - Prelims: 4 ; Mains: 2 ; opt: Law

Nature thrives on patience; Man on impatience
    ·
  • I am sharing my dropbox link of a pdf .Its a compilation of major events & happenings related to Environment & Ecology for the entire year of 2013.

https://db.tt/nbXjY14c

I hope it helps :)
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
    ·
  • @LuV Your pdf looks gud. Can u post the other sections of the current affairs material also?
    ·
  • @Sam_CB
    I only purchased the above ebook from jagranjosh website .I have S& T compilation by them too.I'll post it soon.
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
    ·
  • Please post S&T compilation. Will be grateful.
    ·
  • Pdf worth reading from mrunal bhai.
    pdf
    pdf
    EnB.pdf
    1M
    EnB.pdf 1.3M
    ·
  • Here is the dropbox link to S&T compilation for 2013 as promised by me ,

https://db.tt/8yyb24vM
    ·
  • General science
    pdf
    pdf
    Gen Sci.pdf
    1M
    ·
  • @LuV Thanks man
    ·
  • anyone please suggest some good mcq book for general science and environment studies .
    ·
  • I am sharing my dropbox link of a pdf .Its a compilation of major events & happenings related to Environment & Ecology for the entire year of 2013.

https://db.tt/nbXjY14c

I hope it helps :)
    When is it released? Is it just before mains?
    I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.
    ·
  • These had stories ( motivators ) in the newspaper

44) Critically endangered species/birds
    45) Adaptation measures of the latest IPCC report
    46) Draft notification on western ghats
    47) Shah and Babu reports on iron ore extraction
    48) Great himalayan national park
    Pehle vey aap par dhyan nahi denge, Fir aap par hasenge, Fir aapse ladenge, Aur tab aapki jeet hogi.
    ·
  • edited May 2014
    Erach Bharucha Environmental studies for undergraduate course
    pdf
    pdf
    erach bharucha env.pdf
    4M
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog