"I really don't think there is anything that is better structured and more interactive in regard to Mains than the ForumIAS Mains Guidance Program." - Mitali Sethi (IAS-2016, AIR-56)
MGP Schedule C - Admissions Open Now!
Click here to read more
*Limited Seats. First Come, First Serve basis only.
Mains 2017 : The Only Course you will need to Score 400+ in GS
Mains Foundation 2017 by Ravi R Chokkalingam – to cover GS Paper 2, Paper 3, Paper 1 (Social Issues), Ethics & Essay – with 4 Full Length Mock Tests.
Classes (Online | Offline) commence from 27th June for Mains Foundation, Mains Current Affairs, GS Paper III, Ethics & Essay

Call : 9555923039 for early bird discounts

Football as a hobby.Expected questions?

edited January 2016 in Interview Preparation
Guys...i had given playing footballin the sports column of DAF. i cannot think of any questions other than recent club matches, state of football infrastructure in india and such typical questions asked and nothing unique....any other thoughts in your minds can contribute to this discussion.
·

Comments

• 1. FIFA U-17 WC is to be held in India soon, you could prepare on that.

2. Whether genetics, lifestyle and food habits contribute to the dire strait of football in SE Asia. Compare that to warn torn countries like Iraq and Afghanistan who are still better than us, even with minimal infra.

3. Hiring of foreign/domestic coaches.

4. Sportspersons as administrators - feasibility, pros and cons.

These are just few off the top of my head, you could think on similar lines.

All the best! :)
    A republic without a pub is a relic | Criticize the post, not the poster |
    ·
  • Differences in European and south american playing style...
    Still FIFA is very reluctant to use technology in football....reason for their resistance??
    What you can do to improve India's image in football on the world map given that you have budget constraint??
    ·
  • If you are from engg background, then prepare for Goal line technology/Hawk eye also. Also, why football is not as popular as cricket in India?
    CSE-2015 | "Har kisi ko yahan muquammal jahan nahi milta,kisi ko zameen toh kisi ko aasman nahi milta"
    ·
  • could u suggest for basketball also??
    ·
  • @liverpool @PoliceWala thx for ur inputs....i have a specific question in mind...Y s there so much frequent violence associated with fans of football clubs?any specific reason for this?
    ·
  • I don't know whether this is relevant or not from UPSC point of view but there is a ban imposed on barcelona in transfer market due to Neymar's transfer saga...it is very much in news in football fraternity(could be totally irrelevant, but you never know if there is a football enthusiast among the panel members...:> )...
    Also, people should read about FIFA and world cup this year... :)>-
    CSE-2015 | "Har kisi ko yahan muquammal jahan nahi milta,kisi ko zameen toh kisi ko aasman nahi milta"
    ·
  • @Ashish_Electrical

Barca ban has nothing to do with Neymar transfer issue. I am not trying to find fault but sometimes it is better to read the full report. It can help you.

The ban has got to do with recruitment of kids aged 11-15 etc. for their La Masia academy. UEFA found violations in their policy of recruitment of kids which was also hampering their growth other than that of footballing genius in them.

Neymar scandal - was more to do with entitlements to 3rd party ownership and endorsements - 57mn became 86mn as said by Rossell and he resigned there after.

Mankind was corrupt from the time of Adam & eve, why complain now :) || कांथर हुनु भन्दा मर्नु राम्रो || वीर भोग्या वसुंधरा
    ·
  • thx for ur inputs....i have a specific question in mind...Y s there so much frequent violence associated with fans of football clubs?any specific reason for this?
    They are called Ultras, It is passion for the club and they associate with it.

Liverpool - Manchester rivalry is more to do with Liverpool salt and Manchester Cloth, how Merseyside lost jobs to greater Manchester during industrialization etc.
    Madrid - Barcelona - Catalan Vs Castilian issue and Franco acerbated it. It is more chauvinism there.

Each rivalry has some historical backing and these ultras show it on field.

Egypt - the biggest rivalry where every year 100s lose lives is more to do with Islamic politicization.

We cannot generalize the reason but can say given the game is most popular, people associate with their social associations and make it a ground to fight it out.

Green Street - It is a set of 3 movies that talk about hooliganism in London, London itself has 8-10 clubs that play in top divisions and it depicts the rivalry among them. Try watching it.
    Mankind was corrupt from the time of Adam & eve, why complain now :) || कांथर हुनु भन्दा मर्नु राम्रो || वीर भोग्या वसुंधरा
    ·
  • @Thor
    Thanks for the info. I didn't read the full report as I am not interested in Barca.
    Forever Blue... \m/
    ·
  • edited April 2014
    Some clubs such as Lazio, have had fascist backgrounds dating back to Mussolini's time. Violence in football has a distinct historical context attached to it.
    ·
  • yea italians have too much passion for calcio and the lazioale are famous for being pro far right.Still remember that di canio style nazi salute!Questions on football?I don't think they will be knowing more than any of us football buffs but yea if there's a bengali there in the panel who loves footy more than cricket then u may expect questions on the good Old days of pele,maradona,or brazil of the late 50s,argentina,italy,german teams of the 70s and 80s etc.Yea rivalries can be a good question especially since mohun bagan vs east bengal is a special derby in India itself,also with the former being the oldest asian club.Btw Forza MEELAN ;-)
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
    ·
  • edited April 2014
    @sakthya I think you got the answer...Some thing more I would like to add...
    Jharkhand tribal girl getting third position in under 14 tournament in spain...It was a controversial issue as their achievement was not recognised by AIFF..
    Important leagues in India...
    management issues...etc

All The Best!!!!
    ·
  • bhai log ek question ye bhi ho skta hai na....ki India me Football ki kyu lagi padi hai itni zyaada ?
    Imagination and Ruthlessness rules the world
    ·
  • edited April 2014
    @Ashish_Electrical

Barca ban has nothing to do with Neymar transfer issue. I am not trying to find fault but sometimes it is better to read the full report. It can help you.

The ban has got to do with recruitment of kids aged 11-15 etc. for their La Masia academy. UEFA found violations in their policy of recruitment of kids which was also hampering their growth other than that of footballing genius in them.

Neymar scandal - was more to do with entitlements to 3rd party ownership and endorsements - 57mn became 86mn as said by Rossell and he resigned there after.

Barcelona ban is about their recruitment of players in the age group of 15-18 and the ban has been imposed for the transfer of Hallilovic.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26873708
    ·
  • edited April 2014

Barcelona ban is about their recruitment of players in the age group of 15-18 and the ban has been imposed for the transfer of Hallilovic.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26873708
    1. Ban was not for 15-18 but all players below 18 but Barca usually recruits very early, Messi came to Barca when he had HGH issue around 12-13 but 15-18 is where the major tussle is as that is when talent shows out and few countries cannot give professional contracts prior to 18 like Italy and England can give to 17 year olds
    2. Hallilovic transfer is not the only one on which the ban is applicable, even prior deals with Ter Stegen - suppose to replace Valdes as GK is also off.
    3. The ban was for Barca's nonchalant attitude over the years involving transfer of kids and not in regard to any specific transfer

We have to look at the perspective of commoditization of human skill and the way players are sold/bought and moved across.
    How Clubs spend money they don't have and the amount of debt they have - All of Spain has to sell players every year to keep themselves afloat - Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla, Malaga to name a few.
    ·
  • edited April 2014
    While discussing about Spanish football, I'd like to bring few things to notice -

1. Till 2010, they had what was previously known as the Beckham Tax Law, wherein Non Spanish players would have to pay less taxes if they played for a club in La Liga. This was primarily to facilitate transfers of stars from EPL such as Becks, Van Nistelrooy, Henry, Forlan, Ronaldo etc.

2. To finance such high value transfers, The Big Two Of La Liga have TV rights of their own which they use as a direct source of revenue over and above what other clubs get. Galacticos was a product of this skewed TV deal. The rest of the clubs were not considered lucrative enough and consequently have suffered.

3. Spanish laws allow easier work permits for Non-EU players, hence a huge influx of players from South America. Just because XYZ players says it was his 'dream' to play for PQR club may not always be true - such dreams are often fuelled by cold realities of the country they plan to migrate in.

4. What has primarily happened in Neymar saga or what Man United avoided by not re-signing Tevez is the question of 3rd party ownership of a player. Without going much into the details, it is almost like a benami payoff one has to secure if the said players is to play for his new club. This fee is again, over and above the fee agreed between the two clubs - hence, a lot of scope for irregularities.

In response to @Thor 's point about Spanish players being sold - many Liga clubs are on the bring of administration or have already gone bust. Primarily IMO, can be attributed to the following -

1. EPL marketed itself better when satellite TV became a reality. Better marketing ensured better investments. Which is why a mid table club in EPL makes as much revenue as a top 4 in Liga. This has resulted in EPL having 5-6 competitive teams while Liga has 2. ( 3 if you consider Atleti's recent resurgence)

2. Foreign ownership has been handled better in EPL than in Liga. When you compare what happened at Malaga to say clubs like Chelsea, City, Liverpool, United - the latter four have had much more stability and success.

·
  • wow thread
    ·
  • Anyone with playing football as a hobby here? what could be some expected questions?

for that matter anything related to sports would be a good discussion topic...

I'd like to pitch in with a few questions to start with..

India at football world cup...can it be a reality?

Are Sports & Games important? How do you compare them with studies?

Young kids look up to sportsmen as good role models...what are the reasons?
    ·
  • Few more questions can be
    1. Difference between American football and soccer.
    2. Recently held ISL football tournament. - Different teams involved, winners, major foreign players, performance of Indian players in the league.
    3. Major football tournaments at global level
    4. Your favourite team, club, players.
    5. What position do you play? Different formations of teams.
    6. How to promote football in India?
    7. Some basic information about Indian football team- major players, recent achievements, etc.
    Musafir hu yaaron.... na ghar hai na thikana... mujhe chalate jaana hai, bas chalte hi jaana hai......
    ·
  • I will also suggest to read very basic things like size of field(as per international standard), distance from penalty spot etc. There may be questions like who is your favorite player,who do you think is better-ronaldo or messi and why?
    i am just guessing here.. :) :)
    ·
  • @sima123 you covered many facets of the beautiful game....

@Ashish_Electrical true...one can't miss those!

Some others which come to mind...

1.What are the takeaways from playing football...or any other sport for that matter?

2.Padhoge likhoge banoge 'Nawab', kheloge kudoge banoge 'Kharab'...what is your take on the matter?

3.Some points on sports administration and policy in the country.

·
  • Why Africa even though being a tropical country and lack of resources has produced some great players and football compared to India ?
    Keep Your Friends Close , But enemies closer..
    ·
  • Why Africa even though being a tropical country and lack of resources has produced some great players and football compared to India ?
    In India cricket is given preference over football. Very few Football competitions are held in India. In many African countries, football is a major sport. Further there are differences in physical abilities due to genetic variations. Our culture doesn't give much preference to sport.
    Musafir hu yaaron... na ghar hai na thikana... mujhe chalate jana hai, bas chalate hi jana hai.........
    ·
    Most of the African countries were French or Italian colonies,while India was a British colony. They brought to India cricket,hockey and football. But French n Italians took the game of football to Africa. Another thing is that football requires only a ball to start a game and can be played in any almost any terrain which increases its suitability.

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google