Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

Home State - Karnataka (Discussion for Interview)

In a recent interview session , I encountered a serious blow on my confidence due to lack of solid knowledge on my state.

Ex: Why coorg has lot of fascination for army?Due to only general cariyappa or any historical reason..

I lacked here to give a convincing answer..

The discussion here will enlighten our thoughts and will make you aware of the unknown facts about your state--Karnataka..
·

Comments

• @rookie and all kannadigas are invited..

Jai Kannada Mathe..
    ·
  • Who asked u that question about coorg ?
    |If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine|| ||Upsc wars veteran|
    ·
  • Some probable Qs:-

1. Depending from you are in Karnataka - Should Hyd-Kar also ask for a separate state on the lines of telangana?

2. Is karnataka justified in claiming belgaum even after minority kannadiga population over there?

3. Krishna River Tribunal? (there's a tribunal setup in between goa, mh & kar after karnataka tried to divert its water to malprabha which is a tributary of krishna and flows in between dharwad & belgaum).
    ·
  • Dont forget abour kaveri dispute. Thats something interviewers remember first about karnataka.
    ·
  • For some basic knowledge, you can go through Handbook of Karnataka, if I remember right, it is published by 'Varta/Prasaara Ilaakhe'.
    CSE2013=cleared 590s. Political Science
    ·
  • I have been asked about imp historical personalities from Karnataka. Eg. M Visveswaraiah (even though he was Telagu), Kempegowda, Tipu Sultan, Mirza Ismail.

Make sure you have a good hold of any names and places that you have mentioned in your DAF, including names and locations of schools and colleges.
    ·
  • Yettinahole project is another issue in limelight now. Then, Funding by govt to maths, anti - superstition, communally sensitive coastal belt even though is the most advanced region in state etc
    ·
  • Who asked u that question about coorg ?
    @rookie Question was posed by a institute director in chennai(during interview discussion)..
    ·
  • Dubbing issue , Illegal mining , Solar/wing energy potential in KA , IT development and its effect, Why hardware did not grow as much as IT ? Naxal problem in WG , Mumbai Bangalore corridor, Compulsory Kannada language in primary education,
    ·
  • Coorg produces a lot of army personnel because of the long martial tradition of the Coorgis.There is a particular community (Kodavas, maybe) who prize physical prowess.There was an article in the Hindu supplement some time ago.
    The horde sees the fish. Arjuna sees the eye.
    I see the possibility of fish pakoras ;)
    fledgling IRS (C&CE)
    ·
  • edited March 2014
    Kodavas were one of the designated martial races during British India and sent a disproportionately large number into the army, with stalwarts like Gen Thimaiyya and FM Cariappa rising to the top. To this day, it is the only group in India that is allowed to carry a gun without a license for ceremonial purposes
    ·
  • edited March 2014
    Many questions depend on which region you belong -
    for example :
    coastal karnataka - candidates would be asked about religion chauvinism ? how to address the same ? do you support such attitudes ? about organised crime ?

Bombay-karnataka- belgavi territorial dispute ,i didnt come across any candidate who was asked this question. but yet Suvarna soudha, Western ghats , rivers took importance. issues related to arabian sea.
    Difference between arabian sea and bay of bengal.

Hy-Ka ( consider it as all 6 districts not just 3) - definitely, Article 371 J and Telangana hangover, Najundappa committee must be mentioned , krishna water dispute, mining issues ,

old-mysore and bengaluru: too many questions to check the caliber of the candidate.

current issue :
    Disaster- hail storms and crop destruction.
    politics of "welfare schemes" can be asked
    Politics itself can be asked

-- it would be to assess whether your views are based on objectivity or some primordial affiliations.
    cse2014 || Anthropology

adapt and evolve
    ·
  • try reading spectrum supplementary of deccan herald.they usually write articles related to karnataka. this supplementary is only on tuesday
    ·
  • How many of u got a call?
    ·
  • How many of u got a call?
    Bro yelrugu call bandidhe... Yella interview ge vodtidaare ansutte! Naanu vodok shuru maadbeku! Neenu ?
    |If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine|| ||Upsc wars veteran|
    ·
  • Navobbru idivi. Interviewge ready agbekide but still in the same hangover of results( innu enu kudidilla). @rookie I will pm you once I start my preparation.
    ·
  • State news baggey gamana ney kottilla.. need to do something asap!
    ·
  • samdarshanakke aayke aada ella aakankshigaligu hardika shubhashayagalu!!
    antima pattiyalli kooda nimma hesaru irali embudu samsta kannadigara shubha haraike!! :)>-
    Indian Forest Service 2016
    pre= 2, mains= 0, interview= 0.
    ·
  • BTW for those who do not know, you can get 10 days of free stay during your interview at the karnataka bhavan in delhi. Also helps everyone from the state to interact and help in interview prep
    ·
  • BTW for those who do not know, you can get 10 days of free stay during your interview at the karnataka bhavan in delhi. Also helps everyone from the state to interact and help in interview prep
    Thanks I didnt know that..
    ·
  • @terminator your optional is anthropology ?!? @-)

Dude don't tell me u selected it by rolling a dice !
    Except reading the word "anthropology" in newspapers I'm unable to even imagine what might be its syllabus composition!! :-??
    ·
    Do we need to inform them in advance/book? Or is it automatically given?

·
  • @Ging7 : You need to fax a letter to them, along with a copy of your interview call letter. They will give a room subject to availability[generally available]. PM me if you need their number etc.
    ·
  • The above offer is only for guys from karnataka and those who can speak Kannada, not everyone I guess!!
    ·
  • edited March 2014
    The above offer is only for guys from karnataka and those who can speak Kannada, not everyone I guess!!
    Yes!!

The accommodation at Karnataka Bhawan is only for candidates from Karnataka. I think other states such as Kerala[for eg] candidates have Kerala Bhawan and so on...

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog