[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

MPPSC Prelims 2014

edited September 2015 in State PSC
Anyone for this years prelims or last year passed candidates, please suggest for preparation
·

Comments

• Anyone for this years prelims or last year passed candidates, please suggest for preparation
    buy, mukesh maheshwari's book on mppsc,
    second, learn everything factually, most question asked in MPPSC are factual in nature. only few concepts. make sure you have covered currents related to MP for past 7 months prior to the exam. and learn everything about MP , eco, geo, history, locations of places, institutes, awards , rewards, If anything happens at the national level related to MP do that, ex. some monetary package or grant in aid given to mp, or railway assigned to mp and so. use books like LUCENT for computer and science GK, and read geography from TMH or Unique's manual for upsc GS that will help a lot, same for HISTORY and economics. you'll be able to cover everything that way.

last, make sure you read laws mentioned in syllabus about SC, ST rights and prevention of atrocities and other mention, as they asked around 15 questions from those act last year.
    I hope that helps.
    ·
  • Hi sanki,I am appearing for the very first time in mppsc.I have heard of one book by some PUNEKAR PUBLICATION,INDORE.Is the book the best beg among the books available in the market?.Also,kindly post your views in respect of mukesh maheshwari's books vs punekar pub.I want a book that covers major portion of mains exam as well and where to buy in Delhi.
    ·
  • Hello Sanki,
    where to get current affairs related to MP. Like u mentioned awards, sports and etc. Is there any books which would help?
    Also I have bought Arihant's MPPSC book, will it help?
    Thanx
    ·
  • Anyone for this years prelims or last year passed candidates, please suggest for preparation
    Appeared for MPPSC 2013 and cleared prelims.

Paper I was Factual with some 15 questions specific to MP ( like name of Speaker of Leg Assembly, site of Jyotirling etc.) . I went through a book Arihant :Know ur State MP). Spent 1 week reading about MP Rest were Okay if you are preparing for UPSC.

Paper II was comparatively easier.
    I think With no negative marking, cut off was 308
    ·
  • Questions on sports and history, am facing problems on those...... Where to prepare this section from?
    ·
  • @nonu761 punekar is as good as maheshwari, its comparable, they almost provide similar data too. but these book punekar and maheshwari both r factual in nature, they provide detailed data on MP and MP related facts and sheets. although they will cover most of your course related to MP but not everything.

YOU have to study basic topics, of history, geography, polity, science etc from other books, that is essential , follow the GS syllabus of CIVIL in general studies, cover all of it from any of the GS manual of TMH, UNIQUE or spectrum, OR Just read NCERTS are most of the seniors recommend. Reason is that not all question relate to MP, and not everything comes from general books either. YES maheshwari will cover most of the syllabus related to MP for both prelims and mains. but remember IT only has syllabus related to MP and not everything in india. read that + read other basic books. good coaching notes will do. MP exams r more theoretical.

MY personal suggestion is to read basic books many times, As most of MPPSC questions are factual in nature , straight forward and bookish(theoretical in nature).

about getting these books in delhi , im not sure, but look for them around chandni chowk main market.
    IF you are not able to get from their, ask your friend of someone u know, from bhopal, gwalior, indore, or any other city in MP, to send you.
    ·
  • edited March 2014
    Hello Sanki,
    where to get current affairs related to MP. Like u mentioned awards, sports and etc. Is there any books which would help?
    Also I have bought Arihant's MPPSC book, will it help?
    Thanx
    first, any book is a good book, arihants MPPSC book is good, i have had seen it in general.
    syllabus was covered nicely. but my personal suggestion is to read basic books too. since sometimes compiled books don't have information found in basic NCERT books, specially for subjects like geography, economics, polity, history and science. so do that too.

KNOW your state:madhya pradesh by arihant was good too but it doesn't cover most of the things , and comparing to Maheshwari and Punekar's book it covered very less. meshwari and punekar have more facts and info about MP then arihants book. i have read both books. the ONLY catch is maheshwari & punekar is only available in HINDI. while arihant is available both in HINDI and English.

cut off was 306 as revealed by MPPSC.
    About preparing for

About current affairs. dude 2 options. either get compiled notes of some coaching which prepare current affairs. like kothari in indore or prepare them from net or from newpapers which is tedious work.
    There are also some magazines which cover MP current but that is only available in local markets in cities of mp , you will have to look for them. but i don't recommend them. some of them carry old info which require scrutiny .

Anything else??
    ·
  • edited March 2014
    THANKX A LOT @sanki
    Just 1 more questions, der r lot of NCERT books available.... Which NCERT books to study like any of any specific standard or any specific subject?....in dis 3 months of time
    ·
  • THANKX A LOT @sanki
    Just 1 more questions, der r lot of NCERT books available.... Which NCERT books to study like any of any specific standard or any specific subject?....in dis 3 months of time
    Bro, study, (new syllabus) class XI & xII geography book(physical, human and geography of india specially), for basic science read 9th and 10th NCERT new syllabus books + read either TMH's manual's Science section or even LUcent's science section (consisting physics, chemistry, biology ) would do. but its essential to have concepts of basic physics, chemistry and bio and specially bio , lots of question are asked.

for economics, best is to study XI economy book + macro and micro economics of xII , both new syllabus books. IF you dno't want to do that for economics just read ramesh singh's book , its good and covers all sorts of basics of most exams.

constitution, read only indian polity class xI book, but best would be to study laxmikant's india polity , it would cover everything without much ado, if you read laxmikant u don't need to read class xi book.

for history : dude go to delhi mukherjee nagar or rajendra nagar , buy old NCERT history books, either photocopy or original, IF You can find old ncerts from your local area then do that.

MODERN INDIA : BIPIN CHANDRA
    ANCIENT INDIA; R S SHARAN
    MEDIEVAL INDIA EITHER BY SATISH CHANDRA OR ROMILLA THAPAR.
    THEY R ESSENTIAL BOOKS .
    DON'T read new syllabus books of HISTORY they don't have they same kind of material as older ones. all these one were in use around year 2000 -20002 . so look for them in local market or central libraries of your city , ask them if you could get photo copy of them.

study environment and ecology either from ICSE X book or class XII biology book. or find some other book, if you can find use National open schools ecology and environment course class XII

i hope it solves your query.
    ·
  • Thanks Sanki for this valuable info.
    ·
  • @sanki really bro your information helped a lot
    ·
  • already MPPCS prelims notification was out in jan-feb. Again they have prelims notification on their site, whats mystery??
    anyone?
    refer here--https://www.mponline.gov.in/Portal/Examinations/MPPSC/Admin/Home.aspx
    ·
  • earlier exam was scheduled on 13th April, now they have postponed it to 27th June....hence new notification
    Delaying everything from exam to result is habit of mppsc so brace yourself before giving exam
    ·
  • edited March 2014
    @rajj and @sahbd91

MPPSC has added more posts to its list , hence they have extended the dates for filling the exam. and the reason for postponing is election and not any other lateness. they wanted to allow more people to participate since more posts are there now. that is why dates shifted to 29 june
    ·
  • @sanki you mentioned about notes from kothari institute indore.... I enquired about it, it costs around 3500 Rs. and they claim to cover 70-80 percent questions in prelims....... ...Plz suggest should i buy it or not, considering the situation that only 2 months is left for prelims and i have only basic knowledge. And do these claim of 70-80 percent questions asked from their notes, right?? :-/
    ·
  • @sahbd91

see, if you are studying from books, no need for notes. books are far better.
    Kothari institute's notes are good, no doubt, specially if you are studying for MPPSC. reason, mppsc question(mains mostly) are theoretical in nature, straight forward, book based, down right blunt questions, who you need to answer straight. unlike UPSC very few dynamic, analytical.
    kothari's notes are good for such exams. specially there coverage of MP based GK and art and culture extra. For prelims, just do any good gk book, LUCENT''s GK is more than enough infact. just take care of current affairs and laws mentioned in syllabus. rest of the questions in prelims are not that hard.

BUT, i would recommend not to buy notes. i prefer books, i prefer suggesting books, and moreover, in my early post i told you about buying current affairs of such a institute not everything.
    try getting only the current affairs from kothari, if they are saying no. send someone you know to rajbada, look for notes from local books stores in khajuri baazar. kothari's office is there only on rajbada. there is a good chance that second book seller's in the khajuri baazar might get you only current affairs from them. there are some nice people in there, they would deal on the phone too. look there good chance of getting the current affairs. or find some student of the coaching , get the notes photo copied.

if you have clear basics on , polity, geography, economics, basic science and history, you don't need any notes. that is more than enough for qualifying prelims.
    for mains though u need to have strong grasp on the subjects , and mp's gk,, you require more bookish /static writing on answers in MPPSC mains. that will allow you to qualify faster.

THE problem with mppsc is that, prelims are too easy, cut off usually goes high. and mains are too difficult owing to rote learning and answering that everybody do in mp. cut of mains remains high too because of that. as those who are good at rote learning and writing they get good marks, and if you write in your own language and dyanamicaly relating them with current affairs etc. you would get less marks. Unforturnate but true. UPSC is totally reverse of this. u need dynamism.

any thing else bro.
    ·
  • thanx s lot for your guidance.....but problem with me is, am in final year of graduation...so there is very less time i get for reading the entire book.....Hence i was searching for notes which would help me to get through prelims within the time, am left after my academic work.
    Won't these notes help ..?? What to do? [-O<
    @sanki
    ·
  • thanx s lot for your guidance.....but problem with me is, am in final year of graduation...so there is very less time i get for reading the entire book.....Hence i was searching for notes which would help me to get through prelims within the time, am left after my academic work.
    Won't these notes help ..?? What to do? [-O<
    @sanki
    if it is just the matter of prelims. don't try to do too much, mppsc prelim is simple, just get your basics clear, specially of polity, geography, economy, history and science.
    study this combo, LUCENT's GK book, + mp current affairs + laws mentioned in syllabus. DO well in the aptitude paper. you'll get through. you don't have to study too much details,

coaching notes are for mains, so are the books, not for prelims. Instead take lucent + punekar or maheswari's gk book and prepare your aptitude, that is more than enough for prelims

maheshwari has 2 books, one has 184 page and other has 312 , the former is for prelims and later one for mains, same writer. if prelims is your aim buy the 184 paged book, and if you want to study MP gk in details buy the later one.

do this, search this forum, you'll find booklets of jagran josh, or some other people sharing study materials. lots of them contain quick revising notes for various subjects , there is a thread for this sharing material is the name search it. you'll get lots of good notes.

rest you will have to make your own plan. as each is to his own. ,,, mark the important chapters or info that u need to study in. only study those. focus on aptitude. you'll get through. 3 months of study for mppsc is enough to qualify.

·
  • @sanki can u tell about mppsc assistant forest conservator exam and do they conduct every year?
    Just in case career backup enquiry ... #:-S
    ·
  • @sanki can u tell about mppsc assistant forest conservator exam and do they conduct every year?
    Just in case career backup enquiry ... #:-S
    they don't conduct this exam every year. it depends on the number of vacancies , as vacancies increase they bring out exam notification.

assistant forest conservator is a good post, almost like with salary around 35000 + , and lots of emoluments.

Its like you get IAS from UPSC , from mppsc you become DEPUTY collector at the highest ranks
    this is similar, u become forest conservator directly from IFS exam, hear you get 1 rank lower to that assistant. all n all its a very nice post.

Syllabus and course remains relatively same. If you study for MPPSC, its the same for AFC . give or take a subject though.

only drawbacks are that you will become jungle man(then you would have to singh, yahooo!! chahe mujhe koi junglee kahe , kehne do ji kehta rahe. ) kher jokes apart. u'll have work in field as well as office. mostly office, which will be at least tehsil level.

·
  • ready to sing even more song for MPPSC if they bring out notification this year... :P :))
    I checked it in a site the last exam they conducted was in 2008.
    For such a long interval of time, they had not been conducting exam? :O
    ·
  • Sry last exam was in 2011
    ·
  • @sahbd91

the last exam notification came in 2011 and it was held 2012 i am aware of it, as one of my friend gave it. but i personally didn't give it that time. in mp exam are conducted if there are vacancies. central UPSC and ssc they usually have some vacancies so , they conduct yearly. that a usual problem with mp . no go. just wait there is a chance of they would put it up this year. let c what happens.
    ·
  • edited April 2014
    Any news, when MPPSC 2012 mains result is coming???
    ·
  • @sanki can you predict cut off for this year prelims
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog