The Only Test Series you will ever need to crack Prelims 2017
Join ForumIAS Prelims 2017 Test Series – 31 Tests to cover the full syllabus – with 10 Sectional Tests6 Subjectwise Tests and 8 Simulator Tests ™ to cover the full syllabus. This will be supplemented by 2 Full Length Current Affairs Tests and 1 Test on Economic Survey and India Year Book. On your request, we have also included discussion classes/videos for each Test.

Posting of women IAS officers

edited February 2014 in Miscellaneous
hello friends,i am new to this forum. i want to know regarding the posting of women IAS?. i mean when they are married do they get the posting according to their wish where the husband lives?
·

Comments

• If you are trying to become an IAS officer then shed the mindset that it is the woman's duty to move wherever the husband gets a job.

Only when the husband is himself a bureaucrat will a consideration be made to post the spouses together or close by. If the husband is not in a government job, then he better be ready to follow his wife to a new district every few years or else they can live apart and meet on the weekends.
    ·
  • oh.. thanks for information..
    ·
  • edited February 2014
    hello friends,i am new to this forum. i want to know regarding the posting of women IAS?. i mean when they are married do they get the posting according to their wish where the husband lives?
    The answer to your question is both yes and no.
    explaining by example...

consider your home cadre as MP
    1. now u are allotted to Karnataka and your husband who also is an IAS officer is allotted to Bihar
    In this case, the govt gives an option either to your husband to change his cadre to Karnataka or u to get changed to bihar.

2. Suppose your husband gets MP cadre, in this case as MP is your home cadre the govt will not give u option to change your cadre to MP, but only gives an option to your husband to change to karnataka.

3. This offer is valid if and only if the couple belongs to the All India services, suppose your husband is in IRS and u are IPS then no changes in the cadre!
    |If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine|| ||Upsc wars veteran|
    ·
  • @rookie thanks a lot for answering.. but in case husband do not belong to All India services and wife belongs then in that case she can't get her desired posting?if she gives application and suitable reasons then also?and after how many years place of posting changes?
    ·
  • @rookie thanks a lot for answering.. but in case husband do not belong to All India services and wife belongs then in that case she can't get her desired posting?if she gives application and suitable reasons then also?and after how many years place of posting changes?
    You cannot choose where you are posted, otherwise everyone can come up with some suitable reason to stay in a desirable city. The government tells you which district to go to and you have to show up there. Transfers happen every 1.5 to 2 years.
    ·
  • edited February 2014
    @rookie thanks a lot for answering.. but in case husband do not belong to All India services and wife belongs then in that case she can't get her desired posting?if she gives application and suitable reasons then also?and after how many years place of posting changes?
    They are quite strict about it like pointed out above marriage is one option to an AIS officer or inter cadre deputation for limited time that too after considerable years in alloted one...state civils will suit you more if you are So concerned about posting to undesirable place
    You may be a king or a little street sweeper,but sooner or later you dance with the reaper!
    ·
  • edited February 2014
    @rookie thanks a lot for answering.. but in case husband do not belong to All India services and wife belongs then in that case she can't get her desired posting?if she gives application and suitable reasons then also?and after how many years place of posting changes?
    I am sorry I couldn't understand this question properly.. I think u are getting confused between 2 things here - inter- cadre transfers and posting both of which are different.. If the husband do not belong to All India services ( IAS IPS IFoS) then there is no way you can get a change in the cadre to the state where he is posted in, no matter which capacity he is working. however if he's posted/ working in your state/cadre then u can use some political influence and get a transfer nearer to him!
    |If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine|| ||Upsc wars veteran|
    ·
  • @rookie @rav23cbzx @Stardust .. well the prob. is i am already married and i am preparing for IAS and i belong to Uttar Pradesh.. now what should i do?..now in case i get selected than i have to move to some other state.. how will i mange my family?for long run i do not think it will be suitable?
    ·
  • @rookie @rav23cbzx @Stardust .. well the prob. is i am already married and i am preparing for IAS and i belong to Uttar Pradesh.. now what should i do?..now in case i get selected than i have to move to some other state.. how will i mange my family?for long run i do not think it will be suitable?
    Thats a very genuine concern! Now the obvious question I have to ask u is :

is your husband an IAS officer ?! If not then when u clear IAS and get allotted to some other cadre politely ask him to shift to the state where u get allotted.. This is the only option with u.. the govt wont allow random inter cadre transfers and if u don't get UP as your home cadre at the beginning then all through your IAS career u will not get it..
    ·
  • @rookie no my husband is not an IAS officer.. and its not possible for him to shift to some other state or city because he is having his own business so its not possible for him to shift. o.k tell me if i get i high rank then also i can not demand them to give me posting in UP?
    ·
  • @rookie no my husband is not an IAS officer.. and its not possible for him to shift to some other state or city because he is having his own business so its not possible for him to shift. o.k tell me if i get i high rank then also i can not demand them to give me posting in UP?
    If u are general cat then u have to be UP topper and only then u may get UP cadre. If u have reservation then u can easily get your home cadre..
    ·
  • @rookie i belong to general cat or if i get good rank then there are chances na that i get my desired state?upto what rank can i get UP posting? and after posting if i wish that i want to stay in same place till retirement is it possible?
    acc max in government services and banks people do consider this marriage problem of women.. so i was thinking that may b UPSC also...
    ·
  • edited February 2014
    @rookie i belong to general cat or if i get good rank then there are chances na that i get my desired state?upto what rank can i get UP posting? and after posting if i wish that i want to stay in same place till retirement is it possible?
    acc max in government services and banks people do consider this marriage problem of women.. so i was thinking that may b UPSC also...
    You will probably need to be in the top 25 to get UP cadre in general category. However, even in the UP cadre you will certainly get posted all over UP during your service. There is no way that you can get to settle in just one place as an IAS officer. In the majority of the jobs that you get through the civil services exam, your career will be spent moving from one place to the next.

You should consider UPPSC, if you want more stability in your place of posting.
    ·
  • edited February 2014
    @Stardust thanks. ok i will be taking maths as my optional. but in uppsc there are two optional papers so can u tell me which optional paper will be best combination with Maths?
    ·
  • @rookie i belong to general cat or if i get good rank then there are chances na that i get my desired state?upto what rank can i get UP posting? and after posting if i wish that i want to stay in same place till retirement is it possible?
    there will be 2 posts in UP for general and u have to grab them if u want to stay in UP. If for example, rank no 1 and 2 have given preference for UP then even if u get 3rd rank u will not get your home cadre. but such scenario is rare and as @stardust said its safe to be within 25 to have any remote chance. Also this IAS job is sort of different than banks and other govt services, so staying at one city throughout your IAS career is impossible. U will be transferred in and out throughout every nook and corner of UP and also u will be sent on Central deputation where u will have to work from Delhi.
    ·
  • @Stardust thanks. ok i will be taking maths as my optional. but in uppsc there are two optional papers so can u tell me which optional paper will be best combination with Maths?
    try public administration! B-)
    Its my favorite too :D
    ·
  • to which state do u belong @rookie ... n is Pub. Ad. ok? i mean i wont b going for coaching..n i dont like mugging up.. like maths is u know not that easy.. i have to give lot of time to it so i want a subject on which i do not have to work very-2.
    ·
  • to which state do u belong @rookie ... n is Pub. Ad. ok? i mean i wont b going for coaching..n i dont like mugging up.. like maths is u know not that easy.. i have to give lot of time to it so i want a subject on which i do not have to work very-2.
    madam, I was just kidding about pub ad! Please consider all options before taking a decision on optionals!
    try asking your friends and go through the uppsc previous year's Q papers to get a fair idea. Optionals can make or break your selection!

I am from the land of sandalwood trees - Karnataka! :D
    ·
  • @rookie .. ya u r right.. anyways thanks for giving precious time... :)
    ·
  • n @rookie n which optional r u going for n why?

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google