MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Posting of women IAS officers

edited February 2014 in Miscellaneous
hello friends,i am new to this forum. i want to know regarding the posting of women IAS?. i mean when they are married do they get the posting according to their wish where the husband lives?

Comments

• If you are trying to become an IAS officer then shed the mindset that it is the woman's duty to move wherever the husband gets a job.

Only when the husband is himself a bureaucrat will a consideration be made to post the spouses together or close by. If the husband is not in a government job, then he better be ready to follow his wife to a new district every few years or else they can live apart and meet on the weekends.
  • oh.. thanks for information..
  • edited February 2014
    hello friends,i am new to this forum. i want to know regarding the posting of women IAS?. i mean when they are married do they get the posting according to their wish where the husband lives?
    The answer to your question is both yes and no.
    explaining by example...

consider your home cadre as MP
    1. now u are allotted to Karnataka and your husband who also is an IAS officer is allotted to Bihar
    In this case, the govt gives an option either to your husband to change his cadre to Karnataka or u to get changed to bihar.

2. Suppose your husband gets MP cadre, in this case as MP is your home cadre the govt will not give u option to change your cadre to MP, but only gives an option to your husband to change to karnataka.

3. This offer is valid if and only if the couple belongs to the All India services, suppose your husband is in IRS and u are IPS then no changes in the cadre!
    |If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine|| ||Upsc wars veteran|
  • @rookie thanks a lot for answering.. but in case husband do not belong to All India services and wife belongs then in that case she can't get her desired posting?if she gives application and suitable reasons then also?and after how many years place of posting changes?
  • @rookie thanks a lot for answering.. but in case husband do not belong to All India services and wife belongs then in that case she can't get her desired posting?if she gives application and suitable reasons then also?and after how many years place of posting changes?
    You cannot choose where you are posted, otherwise everyone can come up with some suitable reason to stay in a desirable city. The government tells you which district to go to and you have to show up there. Transfers happen every 1.5 to 2 years.
  • edited February 2014
    @rookie thanks a lot for answering.. but in case husband do not belong to All India services and wife belongs then in that case she can't get her desired posting?if she gives application and suitable reasons then also?and after how many years place of posting changes?
    They are quite strict about it like pointed out above marriage is one option to an AIS officer or inter cadre deputation for limited time that too after considerable years in alloted one...state civils will suit you more if you are So concerned about posting to undesirable place
    You may be a king or a little street sweeper,but sooner or later you dance with the reaper!
  • edited February 2014
    @rookie thanks a lot for answering.. but in case husband do not belong to All India services and wife belongs then in that case she can't get her desired posting?if she gives application and suitable reasons then also?and after how many years place of posting changes?
    I am sorry I couldn't understand this question properly.. I think u are getting confused between 2 things here - inter- cadre transfers and posting both of which are different.. If the husband do not belong to All India services ( IAS IPS IFoS) then there is no way you can get a change in the cadre to the state where he is posted in, no matter which capacity he is working. however if he's posted/ working in your state/cadre then u can use some political influence and get a transfer nearer to him!
    |If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine|| ||Upsc wars veteran|
  • @rookie @rav23cbzx @Stardust .. well the prob. is i am already married and i am preparing for IAS and i belong to Uttar Pradesh.. now what should i do?..now in case i get selected than i have to move to some other state.. how will i mange my family?for long run i do not think it will be suitable?
  • @rookie @rav23cbzx @Stardust .. well the prob. is i am already married and i am preparing for IAS and i belong to Uttar Pradesh.. now what should i do?..now in case i get selected than i have to move to some other state.. how will i mange my family?for long run i do not think it will be suitable?
    Thats a very genuine concern! Now the obvious question I have to ask u is :

is your husband an IAS officer ?! If not then when u clear IAS and get allotted to some other cadre politely ask him to shift to the state where u get allotted.. This is the only option with u.. the govt wont allow random inter cadre transfers and if u don't get UP as your home cadre at the beginning then all through your IAS career u will not get it..
  • @rookie no my husband is not an IAS officer.. and its not possible for him to shift to some other state or city because he is having his own business so its not possible for him to shift. o.k tell me if i get i high rank then also i can not demand them to give me posting in UP?
  • @rookie no my husband is not an IAS officer.. and its not possible for him to shift to some other state or city because he is having his own business so its not possible for him to shift. o.k tell me if i get i high rank then also i can not demand them to give me posting in UP?
    If u are general cat then u have to be UP topper and only then u may get UP cadre. If u have reservation then u can easily get your home cadre..
  • @rookie i belong to general cat or if i get good rank then there are chances na that i get my desired state?upto what rank can i get UP posting? and after posting if i wish that i want to stay in same place till retirement is it possible?
    acc max in government services and banks people do consider this marriage problem of women.. so i was thinking that may b UPSC also...
  • edited February 2014
    @rookie i belong to general cat or if i get good rank then there are chances na that i get my desired state?upto what rank can i get UP posting? and after posting if i wish that i want to stay in same place till retirement is it possible?
    acc max in government services and banks people do consider this marriage problem of women.. so i was thinking that may b UPSC also...
    You will probably need to be in the top 25 to get UP cadre in general category. However, even in the UP cadre you will certainly get posted all over UP during your service. There is no way that you can get to settle in just one place as an IAS officer. In the majority of the jobs that you get through the civil services exam, your career will be spent moving from one place to the next.

You should consider UPPSC, if you want more stability in your place of posting.
  • edited February 2014
    @Stardust thanks. ok i will be taking maths as my optional. but in uppsc there are two optional papers so can u tell me which optional paper will be best combination with Maths?
  • @rookie i belong to general cat or if i get good rank then there are chances na that i get my desired state?upto what rank can i get UP posting? and after posting if i wish that i want to stay in same place till retirement is it possible?
    there will be 2 posts in UP for general and u have to grab them if u want to stay in UP. If for example, rank no 1 and 2 have given preference for UP then even if u get 3rd rank u will not get your home cadre. but such scenario is rare and as @stardust said its safe to be within 25 to have any remote chance. Also this IAS job is sort of different than banks and other govt services, so staying at one city throughout your IAS career is impossible. U will be transferred in and out throughout every nook and corner of UP and also u will be sent on Central deputation where u will have to work from Delhi.
  • @Stardust thanks. ok i will be taking maths as my optional. but in uppsc there are two optional papers so can u tell me which optional paper will be best combination with Maths?
    try public administration! B-)
    Its my favorite too :D
  • to which state do u belong @rookie ... n is Pub. Ad. ok? i mean i wont b going for coaching..n i dont like mugging up.. like maths is u know not that easy.. i have to give lot of time to it so i want a subject on which i do not have to work very-2.
  • to which state do u belong @rookie ... n is Pub. Ad. ok? i mean i wont b going for coaching..n i dont like mugging up.. like maths is u know not that easy.. i have to give lot of time to it so i want a subject on which i do not have to work very-2.
    madam, I was just kidding about pub ad! Please consider all options before taking a decision on optionals!
    try asking your friends and go through the uppsc previous year's Q papers to get a fair idea. Optionals can make or break your selection!

I am from the land of sandalwood trees - Karnataka! :D
  • @rookie .. ya u r right.. anyways thanks for giving precious time... :)
  • n @rookie n which optional r u going for n why?

• n @rookie n which optional r u going for n why?

my optionals for kpsc 2012 mains and upsc 2012 mains was public administration and geography. for upsc 2013 mains it was pub ad.
    in 2009 I read a blog about one IRS officer saying pub ad is the best optional for an engineer, so I took it.. :)
  • @smriti110 I dont think a good rank is all that matters. to get your home cadre you need to be really lucky even after getting a good rank. Shena aggarwal was CSE topper 2011 her first prefrence was her home cadre that is haryana but that year there was not even a single seat in haryana for insider and thus even after getting 1st rank shena didn't get home cadre. But UP bein a big state always has insider seats but again lets say UP comes out with 2 genral category insider seats this year and you get 3rd rank but if 1st and 2nd rank are from UP too with home cadre as 1st prefrence then even your 3rd rank wont fetch you your home cadre. Thus if you think that you are going to clear the exam then i advise that you start making some plans and prepare because getting home cadre is a really difficult task and luck matters a lot. Thank you.
  • @RythmKilz_11 so please tell me what should i do?i mean preparing for IAS is not an easy task.After putting so much of effort if i cant get it for this reason it will be really very sad for me.. and its not just the matter of few months or 1 2 years its for lifetime...
  • @smriti110 My advice is that if you are expecting a rank then leave every such thought for some time and just keep your focus on preparing for the interview because clearing civil services is dream few people realise in their life. So dont put unnecessary burden on your mind. Once you get through everything can be managed and a solution will surely emerge. but if you keep yourself engaged right now in such issues then you wont be able to give your best and then may be this question wont even arise. I agree that its a strange situation but but for now just put all your energy in securing a good rank and on your way you'll surely find a solution to this issue for sure. thank you.
  • @smriti110 Frankly, if my wife was an IAS, my whole family would be so happy that postings won't be a issue. ;) Anyhow, a lot of married ladies join the services every year. When in service, you can take advice from them.
    The horde sees the fish. Arjuna sees the eye.
    I see the possibility of fish pakoras ;)
    fledgling IRS (C&CE)
  • thank u soo much guys for answering to my query.. :) :)... All the Best for future.. n May your Dreams come true.. :) :)
  • edited February 2014
    @smriti110 : The concern you have raised is very genuine. I am from Kanpur.

Let me assure you something : No matter whether you are a woman or man and regardless of your rank in Civil services exam , you cannot stay at one place throughout your career.

Please visit this link : http://persmin.gov.in/ersheet/startqryers.asp
    On this link you will find the present and past postings of all IAS officers in india. And you can very well see that ( if selected ) initially you'll be given a cadre( State/UT) and you will stay in that state for 10-15 years. After that you will be promoted and posted as advisor/secretary,etc in ministries in Delhi , that is what people here are calling central deputation. Even if you are discharged from the central deputation still you get back to the same cadre where you were posted initially.

I have seen many women who remained unmarried throught their life because they were in civil services and couldn't marry due to these stupid problems .

The government will not sympathasize with you on this issue that you are a woman and you have to look after your family. An IAS in his youth serves in rural areas. Be prepared to serve in remote districts like Gonda,bahraich,sonebhadra,mirzapur,sultanpur,etc. Getting a posting in lucknow is a dream which won't come true for most of the IAS officers. The ER sheet link ( http://persmin.gov.in/ersheet/startqryers.asp ) will be quite evident. IAS though looks a charming career from above but has some serious drawbacks .

An IITians experience as an IAS officer : http://www.quora.com/Indian-Administrative-Service/Is-civil-services-a-good-option-for-an-IITian

If you want to live in cities and enjoy a good metro life too please go for other service options like : accounting services civil accounts, IA&AS, indian defence estate service,icls,etc.

The best thing for a woman in civil services is : You and your husband both are IFS ( foreign services officers) then till you become ambassadors that is at the end of the career, both of you shall be in the same place, posted to same country together and would enjoy life too. BUT Beware IFS officers do not get lal batti !!

If you have any more doubts please inbox me.
    कह दो इन हसरतों से कहीं और जा बसें, इतनी जगह कहाँ है दिल-ए-दाग़दार में
    उम्र-ए-दराज़ माँग कर लाये थे चार दिन, दो पढ़ने में कट गये दो रिजल्ट के इन्तज़ार में
  • edited February 2014

The best thing for a woman in civil services is : You and your husband both are IFS ( foreign services officers) then till you become ambassadors that is at the end of the career, both of you shall be in the same place, posted to same country together and would enjoy life too. BUT Beware IFS officers do not get lal batti !!

does an ifs couple get to serve together in the same postings throughout their career?

• edited February 2014

does an ifs couple get to serve together in the same postings throughout their career?

I don't think so this is possible throughout their careers.. But for short stint it may be made possible where the couple is serving in a country where India has huge stakes. For example, UK where the couple can be posted as deputy consular generals. Or may be the husband in the Indian embassy, London and wife in the consular office in Ireland etc. It is also a fact that many IFS officers won't wilfully accept foreign postings so that they can work from south block and have a comfortable stay in Delhi.

And what lal battis?? After supreme court order even chief secretaries and commissioners of police aren't using red beacons nowadays. That era when SPs and DMs went around flashing their shiny new red beacons has just passed away!
  • edited February 2014
    कह दो इन हसरतों से कहीं और जा बसें, इतनी जगह कहाँ है दिल-ए-दाग़दार में
    उम्र-ए-दराज़ माँग कर लाये थे चार दिन, दो पढ़ने में कट गये दो रिजल्ट के इन्तज़ार में
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog