10 Days to Mains: Don’t Be Intimidated. Be Inspired. By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 CGP 2019 Admission Test | Details Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty
CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
Current Affairs 2019   We are commencing with the second batch of Current Affairs + Answer Writing from 16th September. Attend the first class free on Sunday, 16th September at 11AM, New Delhi. Click here to know more and register. Click here for details.

Preparation for Essay Paper

edited July 2012 in Essay
Preparation for Essay Paper

Essay paper had been the most neglected paper in one’s exam preparation schedule. It is considered a bit less important and casual attitude makes one to land up with casual marks in this paper.

Average marks scored in this paper linger around 80-90. But it is advisable to score above under and close to 120 to secure a position in IAS.

Let me bring you its importance— with little preparation one can have quantum jump in their final total. Do take it as one question of 200 marks.

Writing an essay is both an art as well as science. Bit of practice can bring wonders. As a science it would require one to focus on certain guidelines that are to be taken care of and as an art one has to practice it repeatedly to develop it cumulatively.

Rationale of Essay Paper

It reflects one’s thoughts about a particular subject; approach that one carries and his/hers analytical ability.
It is the paper to highlight one’s ability of horizontal, vertical and lateral thinking.
One can display his/her ability to come out with out of box solutions for complex problems that our society faces.
It is a paper to display comprehending capabilities and communication skills. As an IAS officer one has to interact with people and this is the nodal point that differentiates various officers among themselves.

Type of topics asked in UPSC essay paper are Reflective essays. They are mostly current oriented with national and international relevance. These topics demand one to opine and justify how he/she has arrived to such conclusion.

What makes as IAS different from others is his/her capabilities to find solutions despite many roadblocks and bottlenecks.

Demands of UPSC—(Quoting Employment News)

Candidates will be expected to—

Keep close to the subject of essay.
To arrange their ideas in orderly fashion.
Write concisely.
Credit will be given for effective and exact expression.

Basic Groundwork

It is not required from one to write represent more of facts rather it is the analysis that matters the most. As a crude ratio distribution b/w analysis: facts it is to be kept close to 80:20. Analysis supported by facts is always more palatable.

to continue reading log on to-
http://valkyrie724.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/preparation-for-essay-paper-4/
UPSC 2011 | AIR 81 | भारतीय प्रशासनिक सेवा | "Success is never ending, failure is never final" | My Blog

Comments

• @valkyrie724
    Sir thanks once again for bringing out the needs for practicing essay in an imposing way...yes we neglect this area often & directly write an essay in the exam
    One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
  • @khajoor...
    U can also check few essays that i have given link for... Hope u will find them as good one.
    #drShaleen
    UPSC 2011 | AIR 81 | भारतीय प्रशासनिक सेवा | "Success is never ending, failure is never final" | My Blog
  • @khajoor...
    U can also check few essays that i have given link for... Hope u will find them as good one.
    #drShaleen
    Sir did you mean the ones you've written on education & economy? i'll go through them for sure. thanks for sample essays

One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
  • Yes that ones....
    @khajoor
  • sir quotes kha sa arrange karu essay ka lia
    i m reading newspaper n noted down quotes from editorials also . do u prepare quotes from any specific source ??
    thaxxxx
    vavrin vivi
  • @vstoljockey...
    U r already doing enough job. If u can muster from here and there then it is even better.
    See it is not mandatory for one to write quotes in essay.. It is a free field to play. Only that one is to be written which fits with the flow of essay.
    Even without quote in ur essay u will not be penalised by he examiner.
  • @vstoljockey...
    Regarding sources for quotes... There are few essay books which are available in market that two i have already mentioned in blog.. Go to the end pages of those books.
    U will find a lot if quotes there.
    Additionally i have some quotes with me... Will upload them to the blog very soon.
    Keep checking valkyrie724.wordpress.com
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog