43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!
MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening) & 29th June (Morning) ; Registration open
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website :- www.mitrasias.com

Public Administration - Paper II : Preparation from Current Affairs

Hello Friends,
2014 will be my first attempt and I will be taking up Public Administration as an optional. Regarding Paper-II, I have read on some blogs that our answers needs to be supplemented by taking examples from current affairs. Right now I am reading The Hindu and IE for current affairs but experience difficulty in identifying which news can be potentially used in Paper II.

What I suggest is that we can crowdsource news that is relevant for Paper II of Public Administration along with topics in the syllabus where it could be applicable. I request seniors to please guide us in this regard so that we can learn to identify which news is important and can be used as an example in Paper II.

·

Comments

• thats a good idea. I would like to contribute in this regard. I think we can also supplement paper 1 also with the same
    ·
  • Until and unless u are thorough with studying full paper 2 syllabus and understand the nuances u won't be able to identify examples in newspapers. Even if u are not thorough just read the full syllabus (not just the skeleton, but actual content )
    |If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine|| ||Upsc wars veteran|
    ·
  • I'm also in. I think @andy133 @Shivam @pura_sanki @rookie can initially guide us in selection of news. We, the first timers can also try and share the news articles which we think is appropriate.
    The creative adult is the child who has survived.
    ·
  • edited May 2014
    can be resume this thread in a serious-tone ? (for both papers )
    please do share links of various news related to public administration topics .
    same time we can frame question which may be answered with less of technical knowledge and high contemporary knowledge
    Example :on Financial Administration .
    last year they asked questions on "economic reforms'' stating it a work in progress or a continuous process .
    please do share your views .
    CAPF AC 2015
    ·
  • edited May 2014
    *we :P
    CAPF AC 2015
    ·
  • can be resume this thread in a serious-tone ? (for both papers )
    please do share links of various news related to public administration topics .
    same time we can frame question which may be answered with less of technical knowledge and high contemporary knowledge
    Example :on Financial Administration .
    last year they asked questions on "economic reforms'' stating it a work in progress or a continuous process .
    please do share your views .

I m in . This can be really fruitful . Others please join
    ·
  • After lot of thinking i found that making relevant questions based on current developments is very difficult in Public Administration ,it is a very vague idea .
    so we can use another strategies .
    Currently , i am going through Financial Administration and we know CAG was in news due to many reasons , let us make list of news making works done by CAG , we can use such data in exam .
    I found this relevant (source : wikipedia )::
    Reforms suggested by Vinod Rai
    In November 2009, the CAG requested the government to amend the 1971 Audit Act to bring all private-public partnerships (PPPs), Panchayti Raj Institutions and societies getting government funds within the ambit of the CAG.The amendment further proposes to enhance CAG’s powers to access information under the Audit Act. In the past, almost 30% of the documents demanded by CAG officials have been denied to them. The PPP model has become a favourite mode of executing big infrastructure projects worth millions of rupees and these projects may or may not come under the audit purview of the CAG, depending on sources of funds and the nature of revenue sharing agreements between the government and the private entities. Currently, it is estimated that 65 percent of government spending does not come under the scrutiny of the CAG.

Following are some of the most debated CAG reports:
    2G Spectrum allocation.

Coal Mine Allocation:
    The CAG report criticised the Government by saying it had the authority to allocate coal blocks by a process of competitive bidding, but chose not to. As a result, both public sector enterprises (PSEs) and private firms paid less than they might have otherwise.

Fodder scam:
    The scandal was first exposed due to the CAG report in the matter in December 1995.
    CAPF AC 2015
    ·
  • I believe there are two aspects to writing an answer in pubad. One is that you certainly need to write quite a few examples and the other is that you can have multidimensional examples. Also, there are many sources of examples. India year book is one source, wherein I remember "project arrow". I googled the awards given in different years for excellence in public administration and from there found a lot of different examples, which I even wrote in the exam. So, as @rookie said, you need to be thorough with paper2 syllabus first, keep in mind various topics and then you would be able to work on the examples thing.
    I make progress by having people around me who are smarter than I am & listening to them. And I assume that everyone is smarter about something than I am.
    ·
  • from yesterday's Business standard
    ·
  • Supreme court was in lime-light , there can be a question over "Role of Judiciary in Public Policy making ".
    Here is an important article over the same topic (Judicial Activism).

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/disturbing-trends-in-judicial-activism/article3731471.ece
    specially under heading : THE NEW INTERVENTION directly related to policy making interventions by court
    CAPF AC 2015
    ·
  • BTW article is in negative sense but there are many examples at one place .
    CAPF AC 2015
    ·
  • Can we analyze Kejriwal's odd-even scheme through Kingdon's Policy streams approach?

Problem stream, political stream and policy stream meet together to provide a window and Kejri hit the nail.

Problem stream: Growing pollution problem in Delhi, PM2.5 and PM10 consistently high, media reports highlighting pollution deaths, Delhi being given one of the worst polluted city tag. "Problem stream" getting stronger.

Political stream: Change of power, a new inexperienced, but bold and enthusiastic political party came to power.With lots of promises to deliver.

Policy stream: SC supporting such schemes, removing diesel driven vehicles, old vehicles from the roads, consensus building, COP-21 and Paris climate conference and India's declaration of INDCs with intention to reduce green house gases. An environment where green policies were getting more support, at national level, international level and from judiciary.

Three merge and the the window opens. :smile:
    One day, perhaps, love may die of disuse, left to rust in wind and weather.
    ·
  • @IWRA said:

Can we analyze Kejriwal's odd-even scheme through Kingdon's Policy streams approach?

Problem stream, political stream and policy stream meet together to provide a window and Kejri hit the nail.

Problem stream: Growing pollution problem in Delhi, PM2.5 and PM10 consistently high, media reports highlighting pollution deaths, Delhi being given one of the worst polluted city tag. "Problem stream" getting stronger.

Political stream: Change of power, a new inexperienced, but bold and enthusiastic political party came to power.With lots of promises to deliver.

Policy stream: SC supporting such schemes, removing diesel driven vehicles, old vehicles from the roads, consensus building, COP-21 and Paris climate conference and India's declaration of INDCs with intention to reduce green house gases. An environment where green policies were getting more support, at national level, international level and from judiciary.

:D shi pkde ho sir g :)
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)
    ·
  • IWRA said:

Can we analyze Kejriwal's odd-even scheme through Kingdon's Policy streams approach?

do we need to analyse failed schemes implemented without foolproof planning???
    ·
  • IWRA said:

do we need to analyse failed schemes implemented without foolproof planning???
    What criteria is that?
    One day, perhaps, love may die of disuse, left to rust in wind and weather.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google