How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class

Unable to sleep at night. Please give some suggestions.

Hello guys. From last one month I am facing issues while sleeping. I usually lay on bed at around 11.30 and continue to lay and force myself to sleep till 1-1.30 am. I have to go to gym in the morning and have classes from 10 am so can't take rest in morning.. this results to fatigue in the evening.. but still despite of tiredness I'm unable to sleep at night . I'm having headaches due to lack of sleep. What should I do. Please help.

Comments

• Gym in morning ?
    once again HUSTLE
  • Hello guys. From last one month I am facing issues while sleeping. I usually lay on bed at around 11.30 and continue to lay and force myself to sleep till 1-1.30 am. I have to go to gym in the morning and have classes from 10 am so can't take rest in morning.. this results to fatigue in the evening.. but still despite of tiredness I'm unable to sleep at night . I'm having headaches due to lack of sleep. What should I do. Please help.

Since we lost the Edgbaston Test, I've suffering from the same!
  • You can do a couple of things:
    1. Don't force yourself to go to bed early if you cant sleep. Your body is probably not ready to rest though tired. Study or do something productive instead and you will fall asleep sooner eventually.
    2. If the above doesnt work try taking Meloset 3 mg tablet an hour before going to bed. Its an OTC drug which is just melatonin- the chemical that induces sleep in the human body. You may consult a doctor if you wish, I am not one.
    Also avoid light contact via phones or laptop an hour before you sleep.

All the best.

1. Don't force yourself to go to bed early if you cant sleep. Your body is probably not ready to rest though tired. Study or do something productive instead and you will fall asleep sooner eventually.
    2. If the above doesnt work try taking Meloset 3 mg tablet an hour before going to bed. Its an OTC drug which is just melatonin- the chemical that induces sleep in the human body. You may consult a doctor if you wish, I am not one.

All the best.

Thanks . I'll try following (1) .
  • Bhai ek baar subah 5 baje uth and daud laga ke 1 km...fir din bhar naa sona ...chahe sutta coffe chay ya kahin ghum jaa ya movie jab bhi neend aaye din mein...maa kasam raat ke 10 baje se neend aana suru ho jaayega...
  • I myself is going through the exact same situation.
    I read somewhere about the 4-7-8 technique(although haven't tried it yet).
    I also think that the trick is in resting the brain. I sometimes find myself super-active while reading and then it's difficult to sleep.

By the way, I am on a 2 day break and have been sleeping well. So, try getting a one day break from the schedule :)
  • Kaatil said:

Bhai ek baar subah 5 baje uth and daud laga ke 1 km...fir din bhar naa sona ...chahe sutta coffe chay ya kahin ghum jaa ya movie jab bhi neend aaye din mein...maa kasam raat ke 10 baje se neend aana suru ho jaayega...

Theek hai bhai. Bas dikkat ye Hoti hai dopeher main rest lene par kabhi kabhi 2 ghante so leta Hun.. 30 mins nap nahi hota ... Ho Gaya to Shaam bhar drowsy feel hota hai...
  • LuVLuV
    edited August 7
    Try these steps. They might help.

1) Do not look at your phone screen after 8 or 9 pm. If you have to install a bluelight filter.
    2) Try pranayama or meditation or both. They will help take care of any stress issues that you might be having
    3) Chart out a "before going to bed routine" and stick to it no matter what. It can be any activity like reading a light book, taking a walk or listening to calm and soothing music. This will signal your brain that it is time to wind up for the day
    4) Invest in a quality mattress. Ignore this point if you do not have the requisite money as of now.
    5) Invest in some good quality blackout curtains. Complete darkness can really help you fall asleep.
    6) Stick to your daily routine once you are able to develop one.

Hope it helps :smile:
  • Ek boring dost banaw or phone p baat karo/suno lete lete ya ma will do fine
    Ya boring books like wonder that was india ya apne engineering ki books v try kar sakte .

Waise meri problem bharpur neend ane ki hain bistar p latete hi within 10 mins
    Infect maine to bus ka handle pakarkae v soya hain thnx to congress vs bjp talks :trollface:

All the best.

this drug is not available over the counter nearby
    stars cant shine without darkness :)
  • Kaatil said:

Bhai ek baar subah 5 baje uth and daud laga ke 1 km...fir din bhar naa sona ...chahe sutta coffe chay ya kahin ghum jaa ya movie jab bhi neend aaye din mein...maa kasam raat ke 10 baje se neend aana suru ho jaayega...

Theek hai bhai. Bas dikkat ye Hoti hai dopeher main rest lene par kabhi kabhi 2 ghante so leta Hun.. 30 mins nap nahi hota ... Ho Gaya to Shaam bhar drowsy feel hota hai...
    Bhai vi 2 ghante ki neend , 6 ghante ke barabar hoti hai...ek din mat sona ...fir dekh tu 10 vaje tak gir jaayega apne aap...sutta maar liya kar yar kab bhi neend aaye
  • wave said:

You can do a couple of things:

All the best.

this drug is not available over the counter nearby
    Never thought to see u here..
  • edited August 7
    stars cant shine without darkness :)
  • रात को जब आप सोने के लिए जाए , तो दो काम करे

1 ) तकिया ज़्यादा ऊंचा न हो । सम्भव हो तो तकिया लगाए ही नहीं । लेकिन अगर बहुत ज़रूरत हो तो बिल्कुल छोटा सा तकिया लगाए

2 ) बिस्तर पर सीधे पीठ के बल लेटे। कोई करवट नहीं । और सीधे पीठ के बल लेटे लेटे 15 मिनट तक गहरी और जल्दी जल्दी साँस ले ।

सोलहवें मिनट आपको एकदम गहरी नींद आ जायेगी
  • Aaj dopeher v rest nai Kiya.. fir v neend gayab hai. Wtf is happening. :smile:
  • Aaj dopeher v rest nai Kiya.. fir v neend gayab hai. Wtf is happening. :smile:

Ek din me sleep schedule change nahi hota h :/
    Danke Schoen
  • रात को जब आप सोने के लिए जाए , तो दो काम करे

1 ) तकिया ज़्यादा ऊंचा न हो । सम्भव हो तो तकिया लगाए ही नहीं । लेकिन अगर बहुत ज़रूरत हो तो बिल्कुल छोटा सा तकिया लगाए

2 ) बिस्तर पर सीधे पीठ के बल लेटे। कोई करवट नहीं । और सीधे पीठ के बल लेटे लेटे 15 मिनट तक गहरी और जल्दी जल्दी साँस ले ।

Bhai ye itna concentration wala process hai ki raat concentrate hone me gukar jayegi :mrgreen:
  • edited August 7
    uda_dunga said:

रात को जब आप सोने के लिए जाए , तो दो काम करे

Bhai ye itna concentration wala process hai ki raat concentrate hone me gukar jayegi :mrgreen:
    मैं भी यही कहना चाहता था । मन को एकाग्रचित्त कीजिये उसके बाद आप जैसा चाहेगे , मन उसी तरह से नाचेगा । हम पढ़ाई करने के लिए भी तो मन को एकाग्रचित्त करते हैं न। बिना एकाग्रता के हम कुछ भी याद नहीं कर सकते । या यूँ कहु कि बिना एकाग्र हुए जीवन में न कोई सफलता मिलती है न कोई उपलब्धि मिलती है । ये एक बहुत ही सीधी समझ मे आ जाने वाली बात है, जो हम लोग सब अच्छी तरह से जानते हैं ।

पर यहाँ मुद्दा पढाई का नहीं था , यहाँ मुद्दा था सोने का । मैं कोई ध्यानस्थ अवस्था में जाने के लिए नहीं कह रहा हूँ । मैने सिर्फ इतना कहा कि सोने से पहले 15 मिनट तक बिस्तर पर सीधे पीठ के बल लेटकर पूरी गहरी साँस लेना है पर जल्दी जल्दी । इसमें न कोई ज़्यादा समय लगेगा और न कोई अन्य परेशानी होगी ।
  • Inability to sleep at night may be a sign of stress.
    Few years back for a long period of time I would also find sleeping at night difficult . Even on finding sleep after 1:30/ 2:00 hrs of wakefulness in bed the quality of sleep was poor and I would invariably wake up in the morning with signs of fatigue no matter how long I had been in bed
    Now I don't wake up fatigued and the quality of sleep had also been quite good during last year or so.
    What helped me was medication as I was having signs of clinical depression. As soon as some common medicines started sleep satisfaction and energy level in the morning improved. But even then there wasn't much improvement in the time spent in bed to catch sleep.

But as time passed i realized that whenever I was not alone and was either at home with family members or at some friends' place i would catch sleep in less time. I have this issue even now. In my case it might be mainly due to loneliness. But mind you someone's company helped only in getting sleep quickly not in improving the quality of sleep. That sleep quality improvement came due to medications.
    My suggestions to you.
    1. If you are doing good, in general in daily chores of your life with no other signs of depression- difficulty concentrating,body ache,anxiety etc- you would probably not require medication.
    2. If the other signs of mild depression exist then you would not be able to recover on your own,no matter how many self improvement books you read or motivational videos you watch. In that case you must get in touch with a psychiatrist and follow his/her advice.
    3. Try finding a roommate if you live alone or if possible even go and visit your home. You must not feel lonely.That might help allot as in my case.
    4. Meanwhile you also need to understand that this is normal which won't resolve on its own and the only person who can resolve it is you yourself, of course with help from Doctor and medicines -if required; and it may also take some time. For that to happen the last thing which you should have is desperation to recover. Desperation won't help .That will make you even more anxious and leave you comparing and evaluating your sleep at all times. Remember what ever time you spend comparing your existing state with your earlier healthy state will make you more miserable. You need to accept this phase in its entirety and then work towards resolution which again may take time. But once you accept the situation and keep desperation aside time won't be an issue . You will get well soon.
    5. Good bed,physical exercise, less screen time at night,peer group are things which you must be already knowing. All these help so you must also get them in your daily lifestyle. But again keep in mind that if the symptoms of depression are also there then you must visit a doctor. No amount of online gyan like this would help.
    6. Meditation is what everyone would suggest too ,but you know many doctors don't suggest it at the very start of treatment and rather prefer yoga and physical exercises because it is not easy for someone who has never done meditation before to start on his own and continue. It's always good to learn it through some teacher and then continue on your own.

For that you must visit any Vipassana meditation centre for an introductory 10, days course. 10days might seem too long but it's worth spending .
    You won't lose anything and would certainly learn how to meditate

Best wishes

Pocketwa me se jab paisa girta h sab kahta h humra h humra h
    Lekin jab condomwa girta h sab kahta humra nahi humra nahi.
  • Unable to sleep, even in sleep state :tongue:
    Few years back for a long period of time I would also find sleeping at night difficult . Even on finding sleep after 1:30/ 2:00 hrs of wakefulness in bed the quality of sleep was poor and I would invariably wake up in the morning with signs of fatigue no matter how long I had been in bed
    Now I don't wake up fatigued and the quality of sleep had also been quite good during last year or so.
    What helped me was medication as I was having signs of clinical depression. As soon as some common medicines started sleep satisfaction and energy level in the morning improved. But even then there wasn't much improvement in the time spent in bed to catch sleep.

But as time passed i realized that whenever I was not alone and was either at home with family members or at some friends' place i would catch sleep in less time. I have this issue even now. In my case it might be mainly due to loneliness. But mind you someone's company helped only in getting sleep quickly not in improving the quality of sleep. That sleep quality improvement came due to medications.
    My suggestions to you.
    1. If you are doing good, in general in daily chores of your life with no other signs of depression- difficulty concentrating,body ache,anxiety etc- you would probably not require medication.
    2. If the other signs of mild depression exist then you would not be able to recover on your own,no matter how many self improvement books you read or motivational videos you watch. In that case you must get in touch with a psychiatrist and follow his/her advice.
    3. Try finding a roommate if you live alone or if possible even go and visit your home. You must not feel lonely.That might help allot as in my case.
    4. Meanwhile you also need to understand that this is normal which won't resolve on its own and the only person who can resolve it is you yourself, of course with help from Doctor and medicines -if required; and it may also take some time. For that to happen the last thing which you should have is desperation to recover. Desperation won't help .That will make you even more anxious and leave you comparing and evaluating your sleep at all times. Remember what ever time you spend comparing your existing state with your earlier healthy state will make you more miserable. You need to accept this phase in its entirety and then work towards resolution which again may take time. But once you accept the situation and keep desperation aside time won't be an issue . You will get well soon.
    5. Good bed,physical exercise, less screen time at night,peer group are things which you must be already knowing. All these help so you must also get them in your daily lifestyle. But again keep in mind that if the symptoms of depression are also there then you must visit a doctor. No amount of online gyan like this would help.
    6. Meditation is what everyone would suggest too ,but you know many doctors don't suggest it at the very start of treatment and rather prefer yoga and physical exercises because it is not easy for someone who has never done meditation before to start on his own and continue. It's always good to learn it through some teacher and then continue on your own.

For that you must visit any Vipassana meditation centre for an introductory 10, days course. 10days might seem too long but it's worth spending .

Best wishes

Very good writeup....thanks !
  • Read - "the monk who sold his Ferrari"

Under the Spreading Chestnut tree,
    You sold me & I sold you!!

My suggestions to you.

Best wishes

Thankyou bro. I figured out it was my odd habit of taking afternoon naps that were troubling me. Thanks
  • I am sharing my experience.

Maintaining proper routine is the key and for that start exercising regularly. I started exercising in the evening and I saw the difference within a week. You get a goodnight sleep after completing the exercise in the evening. Workout is necessary. Running, Swimming anything in which you are comfortable.

Sleep early. Try for it at least. Wake up early. Eat healthy before going to bed.

Try reading your least favourite subject before sleeping. Read it until you sleep. Ek week baad woh particular book dekhte hi neend aane lagegi.

That’s my experience. Please share yours in the future whichever would work for you.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog