10 Days to Mains: Don’t Be Intimidated. Be Inspired. By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 CGP 2019 Admission Test | Details Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty
CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
Current Affairs 2019   We are commencing with the second batch of Current Affairs + Answer Writing from 16th September. Attend the first class free on Sunday, 16th September at 11AM, New Delhi. Click here to know more and register. Click here for details.

Best monthly compilation for Mains -Vision , Vajiram or any other

Hi,
I need to make notes from main perspective. Many people just say to follow Vision. Could anyone who have referred to other sources suggest me, or should I just follow Vision for Mains.

PS: I have studied Insights daily CA for Prelims only. Haven't made notes till now :(

Comments

• Vision and insights almost same.

Vision is less organized but insights is well organized up to an extent. Insights has extra information which may or may not be beneficial.

For topics which are available in vision, the content is of very good quality.

I may humbly suggest vision CA + insights into editorials
  • pizzza said:

Vision and insights almost same.

Vision is less organized but insights is well organized up to an extent. Insights has extra information which may or may not be beneficial.

I concur. Vision monthly+insightsonindia editorials
    CSE'17 Rank 10 | CSE'16 Rank 250 and IFoS'16 Rank 2 | Blog
  • edited June 13
    try this editorial compilations ..i find it to be useful....u can get this compilation even in ORN book stalls if u want in hard copy format...volume 1 is available....volume 2 wil b available at a later date

http://chromeias.com/2018/05/18/compilation-editorial-simplified-august-2017/

Many reasons to still remain happy.
  • edited June 13
    kabira said:

pizzza said:

@pizzza @kabira sir, what should be the strategy for current affairs( mains and prelims) for 2019 attempt?
  • Hey some current affairs only also post editorial analysis na!!! How is it
    उम्र ए दराज मांग कर लाए थे चार दिन,
    दो आरजू में कट गए दो इन्तेजार में..
  • kabira said:

pizzza said:

How's the vision mains marathon compared to insights secure

I am planning forum mains marathon + 7pm + insights editorials + vision papers

Would this be a decent combo in your opinion?

Last year I had done only insights secure + insighta mains series + vision mains test series and got around 100 marks in all 3 ( gs 1, 2,3 ) which was obviously below average
  • how is monthly compilation by ias baba? is it good?
    or vision ?
  • Thanks all for your valuable advice
  • kabira said:

pizzza said:

@pizzza @kabira sir, what should be the strategy for current affairs( mains and prelims) for 2019 attempt?
    Read one daily newspaper and try to go through 2 current affairs magazine - vision and insights or any other combo.
  • sc said:

kabira said:

pizzza said:

Last year I had done only insights secure + insighta mains series + vision mains test series and got around 100 marks in all 3 ( gs 1, 2,3 ) which was obviously below average
    In my humble opinion (and experience of last 4 years), it is always better to stick to monthly magazines instead of daily articles. The daily initiative can be followed only for few months religiously - for example - insights secure is good for answer writing practice for a beginner. But once one has a good idea of how to write one, they should join a test series. Moreover, the daily initiatives creates distraction as you have to browse the portal daily at particular time. Instead a newspaper in morning should become a must read followed up with monthly magazine.

My two cents.
  • kabira said:

sc said:

kabira said:

pizzza said:

In my humble opinion (and experience of last 4 years), it is always better to stick to monthly magazines instead of daily articles. The daily initiative can be followed only for few months religiously - for example - insights secure is good for answer writing practice for a beginner. But once one has a good idea of how to write one, they should join a test series. Moreover, the daily initiatives creates distraction as you have to browse the portal daily at particular time. Instead a newspaper in morning should become a must read followed up with monthly magazine.

My two cents.
    Thanks sir for the valuable inputs. I have tried couple of times in past but following daily initiatives indeed becomes difficult in the long run. :)
    Reshami si maaya thi,
    Aur main takata jaata tha.
  • kabira said:

kabira said:

pizzza said:

Read one daily newspaper and try to go through 2 current affairs magazine - vision and insights or any other combo.
    Thank You, Sir :)
  • kabira said:

sc said:

kabira said:

pizzza said:

My two cents.
    Thanks a lot for your inputs
  • The Hindu+ indian express explained & editorials in morning.

Selected RSTV and AIR news analysis (very much selected ones) before the day ends.

Vision IAS magazine and insights secure synopsis compilation at month end.

I feel insights editorials lack maturity most of the time in their content. Same goes for insights ethics answers in their secure initiative.

Personal views. This is what I am sticking to apart from doing optional before result comes.
  • Newspaper reading (without notes making) + Vision current affairs magazine. Will this combination work ?
  • edited June 14
    Dead Man said:

Newspaper reading (without notes making) + Vision current affairs magazine. Will this combination work ?

Exact same doubt. Being in a job, can't devote more than 3-4 hours daily. In that time I need to cover other subjects too.

I had sorted out my plan for 2019.. Studying std books like laxmikanth, spectrum, ncert etc and revising them multiple times. And for CA, hindu reading (without notes making) alongwith vision magazine, coupled with one or two test series.

But after seeing 2018's paper, I'm in dilemma whether, I should continue doing the same or should I make any changes.
    Slow and steady ain't enough. You gotta be Fast & Furious.
  • Dead Man said:

Newspaper reading (without notes making) + Vision current affairs magazine. Will this combination work ?

Exact same doubt. Being in a job, can't devote more than 3-4 hours daily. In that time I need to cover other subjects too.

I had sorted out my plan for 2019.. Studying std books like laxmikanth, spectrum, ncert etc and revising them multiple times. And for CA, hindu reading (without notes making) alongwith vision magazine, coupled with one or two test series.

But after seeing 2018's paper, I'm in dilemma whether, I should continue doing the same or should I make any changes.
    That's enough considering even this year's paper :)

• kabira said:

kabira said:

pizzza said:

Sir ideally for how much months we should read the newspapers? I’m trying to follow only Hindu and it seems it would be fine with the preparation but then I couldn’t get a hold on my previous months newspapers. How to cope with that?
  • kabira said:

kabira said:

pizzza said:

Sir ideally for how much months we should read the newspapers? I’m trying to follow only Hindu and it seems it would be fine with the preparation but then I couldn’t get a hold on my previous months newspapers. How to cope with that?
    You've to make Notes out of the newspaper that you read.
  • edited June 14
    Thank you sir
  • Dead Man said:

That's enough considering even this year's paper :)

Thank you.
    Let's hope so. :smile:
    Slow and steady ain't enough. You gotta be Fast & Furious.
  • I daily read Hindu and make notes of it online.i will read monthly magazine like vision IAS & yojana. Should I make notes out of these magazines to compile everything at one place. And if yes I have to make notes how should I I should make comprehensive notes of these magazines or just for mains leaving prelims data aside & revising from the Same. @kabira ji can u please advise..
    IAS-2019 Single digit Rank.

• Many reasons to still remain happy.
  • kpg said:

I daily read Hindu and make notes of it online.i will read monthly magazine like vision IAS & yojana. Should I make notes out of these magazines to compile everything at one place. And if yes I have to make notes how should I I should make comprehensive notes of these magazines or just for mains leaving prelims data aside & revising from the Same. @kabira ji can u please advise..

kpg ji, yes if you can compile everything at one place, that will benefit you in long term. Usually I had mains in mind while making notes. But if i was reading anything on laptop (which was the case most of the time), I just use to copy important things for prelims into notes - the difference was these notes were not so organized as mains. For example - there was just one note for History for prelims but on the other hand there was an entire notebook for History in Mains.
  • @kabira ji thanku for answering aap vision se notes bnate the & if yes how much time(day/days) it take you to complete one month magazine of vision
    IAS-2019 Single digit Rank.
  • @kabira sir you made self-notes out of newspaper + vision etc, still, you took current affairs classes at forumias, any particular reason?
    Any particular good reason for making self notes from the hindu instead of depending upon reading The Hindu + monthly Magazines? being a beginner i find it very time consuming as there is already so much static and optional to cover.
  • kabira said:

pizzza said:

You can choose two sources as mentioned by people above . However , I would also advise you to go for compilations instead of daily stuff as it creates lots of distractions and leads to wastage of time. I personally take a print out to study daily stuff to weed out distraction.

If you are just beginning , it is best to read the newspaper ( Hindu ) so that you develop an understanding for what is important and what is not.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • @kabira sir you made self-notes out of newspaper + vision etc, still, you took current affairs classes at forumias, any particular reason?
    Any particular good reason for making self notes from the hindu instead of depending upon reading The Hindu + monthly Magazines? being a beginner i find it very time consuming as there is already so much static and optional to cover.

I would suggest don’t make Hindu notes in the first year. Just read the newspaper. Make notes from compilations at best. If you are for 2019, it is best not to immediately make notes as

1) you have no idea about what to note down and what not to note down
    2) nearly everything may seem important to you
    3) you may end up doing only newspaper all day long. After 2-3 months you will realise that all you have done is made notes of newspaper of which a better compilation is available.

The newspaper repeats the news as it develops. Trust me even if you read it daily , even without making notes , within 15 days you will be very well updated .

In the first attempt generally people make bulky notes which they realise is of little use. If you are beginning , cover the static first . Newspaper, not more than 40-90 minutes depending on your reading speed.

Make sure that at the end of the day your only achievement is not reading the newspaper. And making notes out of it.

You can refer to must read news articles to base your choice of which articles to read and which to miss from the Hindu . You will get a fair idea after a few weeks / months.

( Even MRNA is exhaustive , I feel , trying to include too much to cover Prelims anecdotal questions )
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Neyawn said:

@kabira sir you made self-notes out of newspaper + vision etc, still, you took current affairs classes at forumias, any particular reason?

I would suggest don’t make Hindu notes in the first year. Just read the newspaper. Make notes from compilations at best. If you are for 2019, it is best not to immediately make notes as

3) you may end up doing only newspaper all day long. After 2-3 months you will realise that all you have done is made notes of newspaper of which a better compilation is available.

The newspaper repeats the news as it develops. Trust me even if you read it daily , even without making notes , within 15 days you will be very well updated .

In the first attempt generally people make bulky notes which they realise is of little use. If you are beginning , cover the static first . Newspaper, not more than 40-90 minutes depending on your reading speed.

Make sure that at the end of the day your only achievement is not reading the newspaper. And making notes out of it.

You can refer to must read news articles to base your choice of which articles to read and which to miss from the Hindu . You will get a fair idea after a few weeks / months.

( Even MRNA is exhaustive , I feel , trying to include too much to cover Prelims anecdotal questions )
    Thanks brother for such detailed guidance. On it.
    Time I take to read newspaper except editorials is around 30-40 minutes but the problem comes in editorials, when I try to align my views with editor's, sometimes editorials seems to be totally biased and unnecessary, it is like something mixture of his/her story + my story and it takes around 1 hr to just read 2 pages of editorial.

Once again thank you brother :)
  • Neyawn said:

@kabira sir you made self-notes out of newspaper + vision etc, still, you took current affairs classes at forumias, any particular reason?

Thanks brother for such detailed guidance. On it.
    Time I take to read newspaper except editorials is around 30-40 minutes but the problem comes in editorials, when I try to align my views with editor's, sometimes editorials seems to be totally biased and unnecessary, it is like something mixture of his/her story + my story and it takes around 1 hr to just read 2 pages of editorial.

Once again thank you brother :)
    Read the Editorials written by a politician with extra care.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog