Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
GUIDANCE IAS Geography(Opt.) @500+ Programme STARTS ON 26th JUNE 9:30 AM.
Venue:   11/5-B, Basement, Param Tower , Pusa Road, Delhi 110005. Call (+91)-9718793363, 011-45586829. Geography(Opt.) Online / Offline Test Series
& Daily Mapwork Program Online
To Enroll Click Here
Top 4 scorers in Geography (Opt.) are Guidance IAS Students: AIR 5 PRATHAM KAUSHIK (327 Marks); AIR 109 DHRUV MISHRA (318 Marks); AIR 411 SAI KIRAN D.N. (316 Marks); AIR 423 DHEERAJ AGARWAL (315 Marks)

PSIR optional

Anybody having pol sci background or even want to form a serious group of not more than 3 people can reply here.

Only serious and sincere students.
If you appearing for NET, then also please comment here.

Comments

• Hi, I am having PSIR optional. I am consistently scoring 148 in paper 1 , but loosing second paper at 110 in last two attempts. if any one is there please guide me in paper 2.
  • Suyodhana said:

Hi, I am having PSIR optional. I am consistently scoring 148 in paper 1 , but loosing second paper at 110 in last two attempts. if any one is there please guide me in paper 2.

Piyush sir once said: If you are preparing for paper 2 thinking you are preparing for GS, then you are losing the game! :smile: I might not be the right person to 'guide' you, but this is what he said.You need to write 'Polsci' answer for 'polsci' NOT GS. This is why people lose at paper 2!
    We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.
  • Here we can discuss books and stratergies for PSIR.
  • Hey.. My optional is psir too.. I plan to join psir test series by a faculty Dr Tyagi. Heard he's an author of IR book too
  • Which one is better?
    PSIR Crash Course and Test Series of Shubhra Ranjan Mam or Test Series of Piyush Sir?
  • Commenting just in case something concrete comes out of this thread. Finished my MA with spec in IR from JNU, not that I was too sincere at it though, mind. Gonna be serious for this mains attempt though
  • pinkyy said:

Hey.. My optional is psir too.. I plan to join psir test series by a faculty Dr Tyagi. Heard he's an author of IR book too

Do you know any reviews about Tyagi? Writing book is not a sole criteria, i feel !!! What you say?
  • Suyodhana said:

Hi, I am having PSIR optional. I am consistently scoring 148 in paper 1 , but loosing second paper at 110 in last two attempts. if any one is there please guide me in paper 2.

Piyush sir once said: If you are preparing for paper 2 thinking you are preparing for GS, then you are losing the game! :smile: I might not be the right person to 'guide' you, but this is what he said.You need to write 'Polsci' answer for 'polsci' NOT GS. This is why people lose at paper 2!
    One mistake i was doing, i am unconsciously going to point format instead of paragraphs in paper 2. that might one issue, but i feel content i am writing is not like GS, i am taking care. Any how thank you. Need to focus ... This time same mistake should not happen....
  • Hi, I have a decent 5 year background in Pol sci and hopeful of writing maina this year .
    I think paper 2 is consistently going to go up in terms of difficulty level because paper 1 leaves little room for the same. Simple and short strategy of gaining in paper 2 is to utilize part 1 knowledge in part 2 answers so that the answer comes with a theoretical touch . Shubhra ma'am notes would not suffice but a simple wiki add on is enough to complement the same .
  • goldenguy said:

Hi, I have a decent 5 year background in Pol sci and hopeful of writing maina this year .
    I think paper 2 is consistently going to go up in terms of difficulty level because paper 1 leaves little room for the same. Simple and short strategy of gaining in paper 2 is to utilize part 1 knowledge in part 2 answers so that the answer comes with a theoretical touch . Shubhra ma'am notes would not suffice but a simple wiki add on is enough to complement the same .

I conquer your view. Shubra mam notes for paper 1 is like a diamond but for paper 2 it is not enough for 50%. we need to put great effort.
  • edited June 10

Here we can discuss books and stratergies for PSIR.

yes, Books also , important. we can share test series or notes of different institutes.
  • Count me in!!
  • Suyodhana said:

I got low score in paper 1(97). I have only read shubra mam notes for paper 1. Can u suggest some other source also....especially for thinkers part
  • appukhote said:

Suyodhana said:

I got low score in paper 1(97). I have only read shubra mam notes for paper 1. Can u suggest some other source also....especially for thinkers part
    I referred shubra mam's notes and IGNOU for thinkers part. Nothing much.
  • Hi guys. I am planning to prepare PSIR on my own. Can u all please suggest which material to use ?
  • Suyodhana said:

appukhote said:

Suyodhana said:

Do I need to refer IGNOU if I am confident with SR mam class notes, Sir's lectures and other recommended standard books of PSIR? Should I still go for IGNOU notes after that, sir?
    Thanks! :)
    We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.
  • Hi guys. I am planning to prepare PSIR on my own. Can u all please suggest which material to use ?

You can go through SR mam's notes and then refer standard books to use as add on's. :smile: But first go through mam's notes.

http://www.insightsonindia.com/2017/06/29/political-science-international-relations-strategy-ias-topper-mirant-parikh-rank-67-psir-marks-307-first-attempt/
    This is a good read! :)
  • Suyodhana said:

appukhote said:

Suyodhana said:

Do I need to refer IGNOU if I am confident with SR mam class notes, Sir's lectures and other recommended standard books of PSIR? Should I still go for IGNOU notes after that, sir?
    Thanks! :)
    I never heard a suggestion from any one about IGNOU for thinkers, but i felt comfortable while reading them and understood well. I feel i have not reached into a position to guide :( :(

But I suggest you to go through once like a casual reading. If you feel that ease then rock it.
  • If possible, u may add me to the telegram group

You can go through SR mam's notes and then refer standard books to use as add on's. :smile: But first go through mam's notes.

http://www.insightsonindia.com/2017/06/29/political-science-international-relations-strategy-ias-topper-mirant-parikh-rank-67-psir-marks-307-first-attempt/
    Love

Hi guys. I am planning to prepare PSIR on my own. Can u all please suggest which material to use ?

Thanks a lot...
  • I got 286 this year in PSIR, 140 and 146 in first and second paper respectively. Would be happy to help if anybody does require it
  • edited June 10
    Rashiv said:

I got 286 this year in PSIR, 140 and 146 in first and second paper respectively. Would be happy to help if anybody does require it

yes. Let us know paper 2 reference books and strategy for preparation and answer writing.
  • Suyodhana said:

Rashiv said:

I got 286 this year in PSIR, 140 and 146 in first and second paper respectively. Would be happy to help if anybody does require it

yes. Let us know paper 2 reference books and strategy for preparation and answer writing.
    +1
    "Is it surprising that prisons resemble factories, schools, barracks, hospitals, which all resemble prisons?"
  • Lt_Mamiya said:

Suyodhana said:

Rashiv said:

+1
    Do drop a pm to me with your doubt/Issue and I’ll help you out with it
  • @Rashiv share some insight as to how to proceed with psir as a first
    timer
    Hasta al Amanecer
  • Pls add me if any telegram group has been unveiled.
    Rashiv..pls help how to divide the time available..and did u take any test series..pls share it answers..so that we can get a grip on how to note it down
  • I have started preparing for psir. Would like to form a group of not more than 10-15 aspirants who are dedicatedly going to finish the optional before October end. @Rashiv would be better for us if you join too and keep addressing our doubts.

https://t.me/joinchat/HlA3GkX848AFPLQRHN5Oww
  • Hi everyone.
    I have gone through SR mam’s notes twice before prelims and found Comparitive Politics part of paper 2 insufficiently covered,so any idea how to go about paper 2 part A?
  • Hi.
    I have switched my optional from pub ad to psir this time. Taking classes at sr. Can you guys please suggest me if any serious tg group is there for the same.
    @Chitra1234567 I'm appearing for net also. From where you did you complete your pg?
    उम्र ए दराज मांग कर लाए थे चार दिन,
    दो आरजू में कट गए दो इन्तेजार में..
  • @Rashiv share some insight as to how to proceed with psir as a first
    timer

Do PM me, and I’ll surely address all your concern
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog