Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
GUIDANCE IAS Geography(Opt.) @500+ Programme STARTS ON 26th JUNE 9:30 AM.
Venue:   11/5-B, Basement, Param Tower , Pusa Road, Delhi 110005. Call (+91)-9718793363, 011-45586829. Geography(Opt.) Online / Offline Test Series
& Daily Mapwork Program Online
To Enroll Click Here
Top 4 scorers in Geography (Opt.) are Guidance IAS Students: AIR 5 PRATHAM KAUSHIK (327 Marks); AIR 109 DHRUV MISHRA (318 Marks); AIR 411 SAI KIRAN D.N. (316 Marks); AIR 423 DHEERAJ AGARWAL (315 Marks)

GYAN + Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 Entrance Test on June 7 & Jun 11

Dear Friends,

As we promised, we shall be having an Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018.

This program is designed with vital inputs from our ForumIAS Members and our students, especially Sachin Gupta who has secured Rank 3 this year.

This program has been designed with the express purpose of ensuring

1) Adequate answer writing practice
2) Timely completion of syllabus and not wasting time till Prelims Result
3) Getting a compilation of about 150-200 good quality questions relevant for Mains 2018, and having it written down in own handwritten.
4) Inculcating discipline among candidates


To know more click below links

http://blog.forumias.com/answer-writing-focus-group-for-mains-2018-offline-orientation-june-9/

To register for the entrance test, visit http://academy.forumias.com

Note : Due to limited seating capacity and peak MGP cycle, we can only afford one classroom for this , hence intake is limited to 150-200 candidates only
«13456

Comments

  • *****SOME PRACTICAL GYAN BASED ON MEETING OFFLINE STUDENTS ****

    We are aware that a lot of people are getting low scores in Prelims this year. Let us point to you a few facts.

    First, there is no one this year who is claiming a score of 130-140
    Those who used to get 140+ in Prelims till last year are not getting more than 120 this year.
    The candidates who used to get 110-120 till last year, are getting the range of 95-105. Please do not believe us. Ask in your friend circle once. Dont ask Forum friends, ask real friends.

    Old Timers are not getting top scores, and the paper was not such that first timers will get super duper score either. So you can expect the cut off to be in the range of 90-95 subject to how many candidates UPSC takes for Mains.

    Note that UPSC did not increase the seats to 15000 for Mains even when the vacancies were at an all time high.
    We urge all students to start Mains Preparation at the earliest and do not make the annual mistake of waiting for result. You must be aware that anyway a lot of people will be out ( if not actually then at least mentally ) because the nature of paper, and the successful ones will be the ones who are able to capitalise on this opportunity.

    Last year the paper was on the easier side and most people were expecting the cut off to be around 110, but it came to be 105.

    And first timers, please start preparing for Mains. World History and Post Independence itself will eat away all your time – nearly the full month. There are large parts of the syllabus which you are unaware of and are largely untouched.

    Also, god forbid, if you miss the cut off and if you decide to only study for 3 months a year - only - before Prelims, then it will take 4 years to clear the exam.

    People clear Prelims because they clear Prelims – and study all throughout the year as they write Mains, Interview etc. It takes 10-12 months to prepare for UPSC. Please do not make it 3 months/ year before Prelims and extend your preparation to multiple years.You must study all throughout the year.

    Please do not mourne pre-maturely for no reason. No matter how much you score, every year, at least once even people scoring 120+ are scared that they will miss the cut off. There is nothing new.

    **************GYAN ENDS*******************************************
  • ForumIAS said:

    *****SOME PRACTICAL GYAN BASED ON MEETING OFFLINE STUDENTS ****

    We are aware that a lot of people are getting low scores in Prelims this year. Let us point to you a few facts.

    First, there is no one this year who is claiming a score of 130-140
    Those who used to get 140+ in Prelims till last year are not getting more than 120 this year.
    The candidates who used to get 110-120 till last year, are getting the range of 95-105. Please do not believe us. Ask in your friend circle once. Dont ask Forum friends, ask real friends.

    Old Timers are not getting top scores, and the paper was not such that first timers will get super duper score either. So you can expect the cut off to be in the range of 90-95 subject to how many candidates UPSC takes for Mains.

    Note that UPSC did not increase the seats to 15000 for Mains even when the vacancies were at an all time high.
    We urge all students to start Mains Preparation at the earliest and do not make the annual mistake of waiting for result. You must be aware that anyway a lot of people will be out ( if not actually then at least mentally ) because the nature of paper, and the successful ones will be the ones who are able to capitalise on this opportunity.

    Last year the paper was on the easier side and most people were expecting the cut off to be around 110, but it came to be 105.

    And first timers, please start preparing for Mains. World History and Post Independence itself will eat away all your time – nearly the full month. There are large parts of the syllabus which you are unaware of and are largely untouched.

    Also, god forbid, if you miss the cut off and if you decide to only study for 3 months a year - only - before Prelims, then it will take 4 years to clear the exam.

    People clear Prelims because they clear Prelims – and study all throughout the year as they write Mains, Interview etc. It takes 10-12 months to prepare for UPSC. Please do not make it 3 months/ year before Prelims and extend your preparation to multiple years.You must study all throughout the year.

    Please do not mourne pre-maturely for no reason. No matter how much you score, every year, at least once even people scoring 120+ are scared that they will miss the cut off. There is nothing new.

    **************GYAN ENDS*******************************************

    Thanks this was great motivation. Keeping this in mind I have started World History from today, but is there any similar initiative for online students given I can't come to Delhi for preparation now?
  • To add to this gyan, this time there is a good opportunity as many people didnt write the exam, and also, many people will waste time waiting for the result. You only have 1-1.5 months of competitive edge, after that its all gone.

    Everyone studies in last two months. Studying right now matters.

    In Prelims last few months studies matter most. In Mains, it is not the case.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • edited June 6
    Neyawn said:

    To add to this gyan, this time there is a good opportunity as many people didnt write the exam, and also, many people will waste time waiting for the result. You only have 1-1.5 months of competitive edge, after that its all gone.

    Everyone studies in last two months. Studying right now matters.

    In Prelims last few months studies matter most. In Mains, it is not the case.

    Sir can you please reply to my PM when you are free? Wanted to know if it'd be possible to join MGP-2018 online now.
  • Neyawn said:

    To add to this gyan, this time there is a good opportunity as many people didnt write the exam, and also, many people will waste time waiting for the result. You only have 1-1.5 months of competitive edge, after that its all gone.

    Everyone studies in last two months. Studying right now matters.

    In Prelims last few months studies matter most. In Mains, it is not the case.

    Sir can you please reply to my PM when you are free? Wanted to know if it'd be possible to join MGP-2018 online now.

    Sir
    I will not/do not / and cannot answer any MGP queries. I only answer queries with respect to preparation just like other members.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • @Neyawn Sir ji, 89.xx from Shankar key.

    What would you advise? Looking at others scores I think I should have done some tukkabazi.

    I missed the bus this time again.
    I am not among these vibrant group of youth that constitutes the common mass today. I am among those intellect group of youth who will lead the nation tomorrow.
  • So basically this program is to provide 'exam-like condition' at ForumIAS's delhi center?
  • What will be the format of entrance exam? Duration?
  • @Neyawn Please provide a platform so that AWFG can be attempted even by online aspirants.
  • I am myself not scoring 3 digits but it seems impossible that cutoff will be down to 2 digits .
    Anyways yes this is the time to get competetive advantage over others
    I wish i could join the answer writing focus group , but as ots in delhi so many of us wont be able to join .
    Btw @Neyawn what can u suggest to self check the answes as most of us are unable to get such peer group which could be utilised to check answers etc
    time to leave forum,too much bakaar and nothing valueable being discussed : its been a nice journey
  • Sir is it available online
    It's always seems impossible untill it is done
  • I am myself not scoring 3 digits but it seems impossible that cutoff will be down to 2 digits .
    Anyways yes this is the time to get competetive advantage over others
    I wish i could join the answer writing focus group , but as ots in delhi so many of us wont be able to join .
    Btw @Neyawn what can u suggest to self check the answes as most of us are unable to get such peer group which could be utilised to check answers etc

    +1
    We shall overcome.
  • Is there a test on 11th too ? What is the procedure for applying for it?
    इस पार प्रिय मधु है तुम हो,
    उस पार ना जाने क्या होगा ।।
  • Sir, plz make it online too.... i had attended answer writing group last year and it can be replicated online via live lectures..... please consider this...
  • Is there an exam on 11th June... As many can't make it on June 7 @Neyawn @Forumiasdiscuss @Aks
  • My m hall ticket shows it on 11 June
  • Is there an exam on 11th June... As many can't make it on June 7 @Neyawn @Forumiasdiscuss @Aks

    Yes,

    Please dont come today. Come on June 11 at 2PM. You can register till June 10th 5PM.

    Those who could not come today , can come on June 11 at 2PM
  • ForumIAS said:

    Is there an exam on 11th June... As many can't make it on June 7 @Neyawn @Forumiasdiscuss @Aks

    Yes,

    Please dont come today. Come on June 11 at 2PM. You can register till June 10th 5PM.

    Those who could not come today , can come on June 11 at 2PM
    sir fee ka relaxation de do..pitaji pensioner h... last mains mein 630 aae the...admission milne pe jama kra dunga...
    Dar ke jeena bhi kya jeena hai.. aur jee rhe ho agar aese to kya sach mein jee rahe ho...
  • @ForumIAS will you be starting any such initiative after pre result? I have some serious engagements that I can't get out of and hence can't join the one conducted at the moment.
  • How is GS score quality improvement program for mains?
  • ForumIAS said:

    Is there an exam on 11th June... As many can't make it on June 7 @Neyawn @Forumiasdiscuss @Aks

    Yes,

    Please dont come today. Come on June 11 at 2PM. You can register till June 10th 5PM.

    Those who could not come today , can come on June 11 at 2PM
    sir fee ka relaxation de do..pitaji pensioner h... last mains mein 630 aae the...admission milne pe jama kra dunga...
    @Neyawn @ForumIAS there must be some assistance provided to all who cant afford (not just here but in other courses as well , meritiuos should not suffer due to finances)
    time to leave forum,too much bakaar and nothing valueable being discussed : its been a nice journey
  • Hello, does anyone have forum last year mains tests series in soft copy ? Please share .I was a MGP student last year but I did not save all the pdfs and the pdfs are not available in the portal anymore .
    Thanks in Advance. : D
  • ForumIAS said:

    Is there an exam on 11th June... As many can't make it on June 7 @Neyawn @Forumiasdiscuss @Aks

    Yes,

    Please dont come today. Come on June 11 at 2PM. You can register till June 10th 5PM.

    Those who could not come today , can come on June 11 at 2PM
    Can we write for both days, aj ka likh diya. 11 ka allowed hai?
  • Bhai, Aaj forumias pura railway station bana hua tha.. itna log agar sahi mein answer writing practice kar liya toh mains me sala competition kaafi tough ho jayega.
  • Bhai, Aaj forumias pura railway station bana hua tha.. itna log agar sahi mein answer writing practice kar liya toh mains me sala competition kaafi tough ho jayega.

    :mrgreen: :trollface:
  • How was the paper?
    Now or Never
  • aaj wale ka result kab aaegha??
  • @Neyawn ...please check your inbox
    You wouldn't like me when i'm angry Because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources. |Philosophy|
  • thehulk said:

    @Neyawn ...please check your inbox

    I did Sir.

    The thing is , when we make a decision
    1) we have to stick to it
    2) tweak it based on performance
    3) make it work


    We can’t change decisions based on the difficulty ORN of it’s implementation .

    You can’t listen to your mind which will
    Invariably try to conserve energy and tell you the easiest thing to do.

    I literally begged everyone, especially those who have a thing for dropping out midway out of everything they plan to do , showing weak resolve , to not drop out and merely persevere .

    Also, one day you will have to take a call. You do it your way or you listen to someone. If you have some spent three years doing it your way , and it has produced zero result, you can trust someone whose interest lies in your interest and you better listen to that one person, article, or idea.


    You can’t choose to follow something/ someone and switch back to old ways once you think it’s working or not.

    We have to be wary that a lot of people sabotage their own success . It’s forgiven when you are a kid.

    But as you grow up, life will
    Penalise you for mistakes that you make. I mean I get penalised all the time , so this is what I know.

    The thing with Prelims is that when we don’t clear it, it becomes more difficult to clear it later because it shatters ones confidence and you are different person altogether.

    Plus we end up
    Not studying for an entire year.

    Failure ends up making us, usually less risk taking, weak hearted and stops us from investing emotionally, financially - in terms of money, energy, and time into anything we do. We later end up becoming persons who merely want to
    Minimise our losses, not maximise our gains.


    I do not exactly know what to say as of now. But whatever you do, make a plan and believe it’s impossoble to fail, and it will work.

    And don’t drop out of things midway . Things are not perfect and they never will
    Be. You won’t get things offered on a platter. You will have to make plans work for you.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Neyawn said:

    thehulk said:

    @Neyawn ...please check your inbox

    I did Sir.

    The thing is , when we make a decision
    1) we have to stick to it
    2) tweak it based on performance
    3) make it work


    We can’t change decisions based on the difficulty ORN of it’s implementation .

    You can’t listen to your mind which will
    Invariably try to conserve energy and tell you the easiest thing to do.

    I literally begged everyone, especially those who have a thing for dropping out midway out of everything they plan to do , showing weak resolve , to not drop out and merely persevere .

    Also, one day you will have to take a call. You do it your way or you listen to someone. If you have some spent three years doing it your way , and it has produced zero result, you can trust someone whose interest lies in your interest and you better listen to that one person, article, or idea.


    You can’t choose to follow something/ someone and switch back to old ways once you think it’s working or not.

    We have to be wary that a lot of people sabotage their own success . It’s forgiven when you are a kid.

    But as you grow up, life will
    Penalise you for mistakes that you make. I mean I get penalised all the time , so this is what I know.

    The thing with Prelims is that when we don’t clear it, it becomes more difficult to clear it later because it shatters ones confidence and you are different person altogether.

    Plus we end up
    Not studying for an entire year.

    Failure ends up making us, usually less risk taking, weak hearted and stops us from investing emotionally, financially - in terms of money, energy, and time into anything we do. We later end up becoming persons who merely want to
    Minimise our losses, not maximise our gains.


    I do not exactly know what to say as of now. But whatever you do, make a plan and believe it’s impossoble to fail, and it will work.

    And don’t drop out of things midway . Things are not perfect and they never will
    Be. You won’t get things offered on a platter. You will have to make plans work for you.
    Did you / ForumIAS team considered the financial assistance i talked about above as that guy wont be able to finance even fees of tests @Neyawn
    time to leave forum,too much bakaar and nothing valueable being discussed : its been a nice journey
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog