MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening) & 29th June (Morning) ; Registration open
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website :- www.mitrasias.com

Geography Doubts

edited December 2013 in Geography & Geology
Can anybody explain how cold core cyclone is developed ... As the center of cyclone has low pressure how can it be cold ? Plz help ..
composite things decay strive diligently ..
·

Comments

• i think it must b extra tropical/temperate cyclone which does not have eye and fronts often creates cold core....
    ·
  • Snow line is lower in eastern or western himalyas??anybody please clear the doubt
    ·
  • Snowline is lower in western himalayas
    Coz of latitude altitude precipitation and other reasons
    Yunan-o-Misr-o-Roma Sab Mit Gaye Jahan Se
    Ab Tak Magar Hai Baki Naam-o-Nishan Hamara
    Kuchh Baat Hai Ke Hasti Mit’ti Nahin Hamari
    Sadiyon Raha Hai Dushman Daur-e-Zaman Hamara...jai hind
    ·
  • That is what is written in khullar that due to latitude snowline should be lower in western himalyas. But according to alok ranjan sir and majid hussain's book on geography of india: snowline is lower in eastern himalyas,as more the moisture in the atmosphere lower the snowline.So which one to go with?
    ·
  • What khullar has written is true only in principle . At or near the equator, the snowline is is typically situated at approximately 4,500 meters (or about 15,000 feet) above sea level. Beyond the Tropics the snow line becomes progressively lower as the latitude increases and the western Himalayas is at a higher latitude than the eastern Himalayas and both are beyond the tropics , but their is a catch here the relative location to the nearest coastline can influence the altitude of the snow line and the amount of precipitation. The western Himalayas is comparatively farther away from the coast and there is much less precipitation in the western Himalayas than eastern Himalayas so a lower snowline in Eastern Himalayas is a higher possibility than the western part .
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." Søren Aabye Kierkegaard
    ·
  • @sidharth575 Thanks a lot. That clears the doubt.
    ·
  • North East trade winds flow towards equator then how can it help in turning north equator current away from equator in form of florida/gulf stream?
    ·
  • Whats the first stage of dtt....at places it is called high fluctuating(shabbir notes,random webpages) and sometimes referred to as high stationary(majid hussain)
    ·
  • @munchun The Gulf Stream, located along the eastern coast of the United States, beginning in the Caribbean and upto the northern North Atlantic is an important current plays an important role in the poleward transfer of heat and salt and serves to warm the Europe and North American land masses . The Gulf Stream begins upstream from Cape Hatteras but it actually starts from the mexican gulf where it is joined by the florida current which can be considered the "official" beginning of the Gulf Stream . The origin of the florida current is due to amassing of huge volumes of water in Gulf of Mexico due to the trade winds.

The above reason is the secondary cause the primary cause is due to North Atlantic Gyre located in the Atlantic Ocean I'm assuming you know about the five major gyres operating in our oceans and other smaller ones , anyhow the Gulf Stream , the North Atlantic Current , Canary Current and North Equatorial Current form the four arms of the gyre , now this gyre under the effect of NE trade winds and the westerlies above 30 N latitude rotate this gyre in clockwise direction which helps the Gulf stream move in that particular direction and obviously the shape of the coast . Always remember the western arm of any gyre is stronger than the eastern arm.

@azrimbilahg First stage of dtt is high Stationary Stage anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." Søren Aabye Kierkegaard
    ·
  • 1) Why himalaya is in sword like shape i mean it shoud have been reversed coz indian plate is pushing it towards north?
    2) why himalaya does nt have volcano though its highly EARTHQUAKE sensetive zone, it is a big exception why is it so?
    3)what is double equitrial trough(low pressure zone both sides of equator) why its get created which is prerequisite for monsoon burst?
    मैं खड़ा हूँ उसी दोराहे पे, आज भी इंतज़ार में तेरे !
    या तो ज़िन्दगी आये तेरे लिबास में! या मैं चलूँ फिरदौस की तलाश में !!
    ·
  • shabbir sir ki test series me jo questions likh kar laate h students wo kahan se mil sakte h ?
    ·
  • Misra's stages of rural urban growth???(2013 mains)

I know that he moddified perroux's growth pole by adding agriculture and services..but how is it linked to R-U growth....a weblink would be helpful too??

·
  • he
    Misra's stages of rural urban growth???(2013 mains)

I know that he moddified perroux's growth pole by adding agriculture and services..but how is it linked to R-U growth....a weblink would be helpful too??

he agreed with bodvile but add one more point tht at lowest level apart frm service centr there will be village centre too n the diff wud be the services. as service centre will provide some services related to city too but vllage cntre will be essentially related to village services only.
    itna hi pata hai bhai muje
    मैं खड़ा हूँ उसी दोराहे पे, आज भी इंतज़ार में तेरे !
    या तो ज़िन्दगी आये तेरे लिबास में! या मैं चलूँ फिरदौस की तलाश में !!
    ·
  • Could you help me understand the following isotherms' diagrams and the related text?
    It has been copied from the ncert. I am attaching the file. I know about the factors that affects the degree of temperature at different places on the earth's surface. What I don't get is
    1) how these lines are bending towards north and towards south in January and July?
    2) What exactly bending towards north and south mean?
    Kindly explain citing examples of different ocean currents, land places etc.

docx
    docx
    distribution of temperature.docx
    ·
  • @munchun The Gulf Stream, located along the eastern coast of the United States, beginning in the Caribbean and upto the northern North Atlantic is an important current plays an important role in the poleward transfer of heat and salt and serves to warm the Europe and North American land masses . The Gulf Stream begins upstream from Cape Hatteras but it actually starts from the mexican gulf where it is joined by the florida current which can be considered the "official" beginning of the Gulf Stream . The origin of the florida current is due to amassing of huge volumes of water in Gulf of Mexico due to the trade winds.

The above reason is the secondary cause the primary cause is due to North Atlantic Gyre located in the Atlantic Ocean I'm assuming you know about the five major gyres operating in our oceans and other smaller ones , anyhow the Gulf Stream , the North Atlantic Current , Canary Current and North Equatorial Current form the four arms of the gyre , now this gyre under the effect of NE trade winds and the westerlies above 30 N latitude rotate this gyre in clockwise direction which helps the Gulf stream move in that particular direction and obviously the shape of the coast . Always remember the western arm of any gyre is stronger than the eastern arm.

@azrimbilahg First stage of dtt is high Stationary Stage anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

nice explaination. can these be explained with Ekman spiral also ?
    ·
  • @The_Imp The phenomena i explained about is mostly related with ocean surface current and surface wind system but yes Ekman spiral and other factors such as the configuration of the ocean basin also have their effects on the direction and wind speed and do influence the movement of the gyres so yes you can also use the phenomenon of ekman spiral in addition to the NA gyre and the surface geometry of the ocean floor but it will be tough explaining it as it is highly technical in the scientific literature which uses advanced order differential equations to explain it which is beyond the scope of this exam.
    ·
  • edited November 2014
    Don Goshti Majhyasamor aalya na.. Ki mala kay karaycha te kalat nahi .. Vanilla Ice cream ani tu..
    ·
  • One doubt. Savindra singh says the process of south west monsoon is carried out by Equatorial Westerlies, confined within the ITCZ, which actually becomes SW monsoon winds because of shift of pressure belts. So far my understanding is that doldrum is a calm zone deprived of horizontal movement of air(so no such equatorial Westerlies) and so the monsoonal mechanism takes place due to south east trade winds getting converted to SW monsoon winds after crossing equator.
    I want to know whether savindra Singh is correct ? If so how this equatorial Westerlies originates? Someone throw light on this plz.
    ·
  • @baaluks savindra singh is correct.

this is dynamic concept of monsoon
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google