10 Days to Mains: Don’t Be Intimidated. Be Inspired. By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 CGP 2019 Admission Test | Details Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty
CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
Current Affairs 2019   We are commencing with the second batch of Current Affairs + Answer Writing from 16th September. Attend the first class free on Sunday, 16th September at 11AM, New Delhi. Click here to know more and register. Click here for details.

Strategy Discussion 2019

Hi all...
Pre 2018 was a proof that a pre fixed mindset, coachingwalas wont work. How have you planned to prepare for 2019? How to prepare in such a way that you are sure of atleast 60 questions no matter what the circumstance turns out to be?

What I plan to change is:
Replace readymade current affairs by daily Hindu reading.
Focus on standard textbooks after revising NCERT once. Bipin Chandra instead of Spectrum, Ramesh Singh instead of coachingwalas and so on.

How are you planning to prepare?
@dkv mam, @pizzza @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh @Neyawn @shubh36 @Cremator @truthteller @plain_dosa01 and others, Can you please share your views on what backfired and what is the ideal (NOT Shortcut) way to prepare?
Thank you so much!

Please restrain from bakaar in this thread. Lets do it somewhere else. :trollface:
We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.

Comments

• How can daily hindu reading replace readymade current affairs? What's the basis of propagating such argument?Because anyway we will not be able to memorize entire newspaper.
    Reshami si maaya thi,
    Aur main takata jaata tha.
  • How can daily hindu reading replace readymade current affairs? What's the basis of propagating such argument?Because anyway we will not be able to memorize entire newspaper.

You are mistaken here , if only one could recall that 6th mas extension had pic of monkey in the hindu article , thats all u needed in the question .
    What upsc is doing (acc to me) is one should be aware not taught , understand the diffrence .
    OP's statergy is sound if he couples it with revisions
    once again HUSTLE
  • Calendar 2019

• Truthfully last year I met a senior aspirant who had warned me that UPSC was always like this, that 2015-2017 were anomalies. He had told me to prepare directly from Hindu and PIB. I was too overconfident and underserious and didn't listen.
    If you pick up Laxmikant and see the PYQs at the back, there are some tricky questions from 2005,2006 that are like this year's polity.
    So it's safe to say that it always was like this.

Anyway so my hard learnt lesson is study yourself from original sources. Whatever comes in Hindu go to it's original site and learn. Use Vision/Insights only to check what you have missed at month end.

But most vitally, what I felt reading it was that my last two months wala current affairs magazine prep was insufficient. Unless you revise regularly, you will not remember.

So I suggest to follow spaced repetition techniques for revision.

And seriously solve last 20 years Question papers if you are newcomer. It's much much better than any test series you'll ever find
    . We are what we do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.
  • 1. Take care of my health. I have to get healthy in 3 months from now. I will !
    2. Complete my optional subject in the following 2 months.
    3. Never skip newspaper, it's revision, it's discussion.
    4. Start reading Bipin Chandra like novel everyday before going to bed.
    5. Daily answer-writing practice.
    6. Will start taking mock tests early this year, and stick to schedule.
    7. Be more realistic and systematic in my approach.
    8. I have to start looking at maps regularly.

^too generalized.. idk how else to state my strategy :tongue:

I have no specific plan for prelims, because, IDK if it's even possible to have a plan.. other than reading widely, revising whatever is humanly possible, praying.

I have to learn to trust myself and put in those questions that I am unsure of, but have an intuition about.. I didn't put in 20+ questions that way, but marked them on my question paper, and they are correct..

You are mistaken here , if only one could recall that 6th mas extension had pic of monkey in the hindu article , thats all u needed in the question .
    What upsc is doing (acc to me) is one should be aware not taught , understand the diffrence .
    Thank you! :)
    Are you making any changes to your strategy as well? Been following your posts on forum! Any inputs are welcome!

@AnnikaGiannini I am planning to ditch insights (Hell, I was their offline student too) and start with Disha publications PYQ! :) Btw what is the original source for environment? :)

@Elusive True true! I have anxiety and planning to meditate :) Mental health has to be the priority! :D Btw, sincere suggestion, dont read BC before bed.. We tend to believe we will remember/study/note this particular point during next revision and we tend to not find time! :) So atleast keep a highlighter with you if you are following this approach! :)
    We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.

Your point somehow seems legit. So perhaps Hindu can be supplimented with current affairs booklets but not replaced.

What is OP's strategy?
    Reshami si maaya thi,
  • edited June 4
    @Neyawn @nandini @pizzza I am really waiting for your suggestions!! Please show us path if time permits! :) Thank you!
  • Elusive said:

1. Take care of my health. I have to get healthy in 3 months from now. I will !
    2. Complete my optional subject in the following 2 months.
    3. Never skip newspaper, it's revision, it's discussion.
    4. Start reading Bipin Chandra like novel everyday before going to bed.
    5. Daily answer-writing practice.
    6. Will start taking mock tests early this year, and stick to schedule.
    7. Be more realistic and systematic in my approach.
    8. I have to start looking at maps regularly.

^too generalized.. idk how else to state my strategy :tongue:

I have no specific plan for prelims, because, IDK if it's even possible to have a plan.. other than reading widely, revising whatever is humanly possible, praying.

I have to learn to trust myself and put in those questions that I am unsure of, but have an intuition about.. I didn't put in 20+ questions that way, but marked them on my question paper, and they are correct..

We shall overcome.
    Reshami si maaya thi,

Your point somehow seems legit. So perhaps Hindu can be supplimented with current affairs booklets but not replaced.

What is OP's strategy?
    Actually I followed insights daily CA this year.. It didnt help plus too much info to digest.. PT 365 backfired, maybe because I didnt follow them monthly.. So Im planning to read Hindu daily by going old school way and supplement it with vision monthly CA.
  • edited June 4
    Even I'm thinking to kickstart same. Also planning to make my own notes from Hindu. Not sure if it is sustainable in the long run.
    Reshami si maaya thi,
  • @Neyawn @nandini @pizzza I am really waiting for your suggestions!! Please show us path if time permits! :) Thank you!

Will definitely put in my 2 cents here, just want the dust to settle in. Also have to analyze what will be upsc's next trick and what really went into making this paper. Thode din ke baad i will pitch in for sure :)

What is OP's strategy?
    (Op means Original poster, i.e who started this discussion)
    All i can advise is not to study text/ material but to be aware . Ab mujhe smjhana ni aa ra but my point is ki aisi prep rkho ki u r not a aspirant jo lga hua hai 10 hour bs rattne me , be a aware citizen and hindu roz . Good luck
    once again HUSTLE

Thank you! :)
    Are you making any changes to your strategy as well? Been following your posts on forum! Any inputs are welcome!

@AnnikaGiannini I am planning to ditch insights (Hell, I was their offline student too) and start with Disha publications PYQ! :) Btw what is the original source for environment? :)

@Elusive True true! I have anxiety and planning to meditate :) Mental health has to be the priority! :D Btw, sincere suggestion, dont read BC before bed.. We tend to believe we will remember/study/note this particular point during next revision and we tend to not find time! :) So atleast keep a highlighter with you if you are following this approach! :)
    I had followed Shankar but now I remember Mrunal saying that NIOS notes are good, so I will check that out.
    I think any decent basic ecology book should help but it seems to me that there's a bit if environment application happening this year. They asked how plant diseases spread.
    Keep eyes open for any global warming type thing- carbon fertilization.

In general, I'd say again newspapers are your prime source for environment. Any body is mentioned go directly to it's site.
    When I went to UN maritime organisation page I saw some two conventions I'd not seen anywhere else. Not that it was asked though.
    Environmental organisations will be a major pain and I guess not too much can be done there if we miss them.

I distinctly remember there being a lot of talk and complaining about monoculture in general in the state pages of Hindu. There was some articles about coffee monoculture destroying biodiversity and something about tree planting in the field being very helpful. Of course by then I was too reliant on these online current affairs.

Anyway many have told in the last to establish link between geo and environ when studying but clearly we haven't been doing it enough if we even tried
  • edited June 5
    Preparing for 2019.
    Plan is to do Mains and Optional till Feb and later for prelims.
    what is better option- to do optional and GS daily or continuous Optional for 3-4 months and then GS ?
    Optional-> Anthropology
    PS: Have read some basic books in the last 6-7 months

• Thank you! :)

Truueee.. got to work on bringing mind to a calmness. I was so tensed about time management during Paper 2, that I went blank while reading some lengthy comprehension passages.. shows my mental strength, got to work on it.. hope we succeed :smiley:

Ahh yes thankyou, will do(highlight) :)

What about you, how do you plan to study Indian National Movement and India after Independence?
  • Hey, I am a new aspirant, starting my preparation from next week. I haven't started with NCERT books yet or with optional preparation. Please do give me a basic timeline to finish off books one by one. I have a good enough grasping ability, so speed reading is not a problem.
    Thanks in advance.
  • alpha321 said:

Hey, I am a new aspirant, starting my preparation from next week. I haven't started with NCERT books yet or with optional preparation. Please do give me a basic timeline to finish off books one by one. I have a good enough grasping ability, so speed reading is not a problem.
    Thanks in advance.

Check out DesireIAS YouTube videos
  • Has anyone among you ever tried collaborating for Current Affairs? Dividing topics/sources among 3-4 serious aspirants who share their concise to the points from those particular sources?

I was thinking of following this strategy? Can anyone share their experience on this?
  • ^^ concise, to the point notes*
  • Has anyone among you ever tried collaborating for Current Affairs? Dividing topics/sources among 3-4 serious aspirants who share their concise to the points from those particular sources?

I was thinking of following this strategy? Can anyone share their experience on this?

Many people have tried this over years and failed. It may work if you have an offline group you know is reliable. Always fails online.

This may work for few topics but done on long term you'll not gain an understanding of the topics you're getting from the others.

• Preparing for 2019.
    what is better option- to do optional and GS daily or continuous Optional for 3-4 months and then GS ?
    Optional-> Anthropology

Anyone ??
  • Preparing for 2019.
    Optional-> Anthropology

Anyone ??
    That depends on your persona. Can you do optional alone for months without getting bored?
    Your revision is far more important than anything else. Where in your plan do you fit that in?
    People have done both and cleared, so it's upto you
  • Hindu reading is not useful unless supplied by Monthly magazine. Just UPSC changed everything this time does not mean we will stop reading vision monthly or for say anyother coaching institute material. Yes monthly magazine can be neglected but only when we are researching the news we study in the newspaper, noting keywords from friday review, when we are going to websites of ministries, environment related websites and science related ,defence related websites and then making detailed notes which not only helps us in prelims but also in mains.

Now moving to static section have you researched well from where those history questions were asked. You are choosing bipan chandra ok. ramesh singh ok.

• pizzza said:

@Neyawn @nandini @pizzza I am really waiting for your suggestions!! Please show us path if time permits! :) Thank you!

Will definitely put in my 2 cents here, just want the dust to settle in. Also have to analyze what will be upsc's next trick and what really went into making this paper. Thode din ke baad i will pitch in for sure :)
    Thank You! :)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog