Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
GUIDANCE IAS Geography(Opt.) @500+ Programme STARTS ON 26th JUNE 9:30 AM.
Venue:   11/5-B, Basement, Param Tower , Pusa Road, Delhi 110005. Call (+91)-9718793363, 011-45586829. Geography(Opt.) Online / Offline Test Series
& Daily Mapwork Program Online
To Enroll Click Here
Top 4 scorers in Geography (Opt.) are Guidance IAS Students: AIR 5 PRATHAM KAUSHIK (327 Marks); AIR 109 DHRUV MISHRA (318 Marks); AIR 411 SAI KIRAN D.N. (316 Marks); AIR 423 DHEERAJ AGARWAL (315 Marks)

How can I use Editorials and Opinions from newspapers in PSIR optional preparation

Hello,
I wanted to understand that how should I make notes out of Editorials and Opinions from PSIR optional point of view.Everyone keeps saying that one should quote scholars in our PSIR optional answers.I am confused that how can I collected views of these scholars and whom should I follow in the newspapers like "The Hindu" and "Indian Express".
Should I collect views of scholars on particular issues (like 4 judges case happened in recent times,karnataka governor's decision case etc) or should I focus on terms mentioned in syllabus (like federalism,marzism)?
Please help me.

Comments

• Hello,
    I wanted to understand that how should I make notes out of Editorials and Opinions from PSIR optional point of view.Everyone keeps saying that one should quote scholars in our PSIR optional answers.I am confused that how can I collected views of these scholars and whom should I follow in the newspapers like "The Hindu" and "Indian Express".
    Should I collect views of scholars on particular issues (like 4 judges case happened in recent times,karnataka governor's decision case etc) or should I focus on terms mentioned in syllabus (like federalism,marzism)?
    Please help me.

Please contribute, similar query.
    We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.
  • Yes please, someone tell and advise . It will be really helpful
  • Not a PSIR Student. My two cents-

Better to focus as per syllabus first and link with ongoing issues in the news.

Get into looking for more scholars when you actually finish a major chunk of the syllabus or start solving past papers. There is no substitute for standard books/sources/PYQ in optional paper. Add-ons can be found in sites like IDSA, PRS and magazines like EPW, The Diplomat.
    Nature & Solitude lover.....
  • @leakycauldron mam may help. AIR39 2017 with psir. Self study.
    सबसे खतरनाक होता है मुर्दा शांति से भर जाना, हमारे सपनों का मर जाना
    -पाश
  • Zigong said:

@leakycauldron mam may help. AIR39 2017 with psir. Self study.

+106
    We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.
  • edited June 5
    Hi. My score in PSIR is not all that good but I'll share with you whatever I did. For paper 1, I think SR mam's notes can be referred to. You will find several quotes from scholars on most topics in the syllabus. From panchayati raj to federalism, those notes have a few scholars on each topic. Second, we all have a rough idea of who are well respected academics in this field. So if there is an article by Yogendra Yadav you must note down points you find good. If an ex CEC writes an article on electoral reforms, you must note down the important points. Here again, it is important to stick to the syllabus and make your notes as compact as possible.
    For IR, I would watch RSTV's India's world where they invite diplomats and experts, and would jot down any good points they would make. Since this show proceeds issue-wise, it is helpful when questions are more specific on latest developments.Also, I would suggest following experts like Brahma chellany, C. Rajmohan etc, you can check their blogs once every week and quickly note down stuff you think might help. Finally, SR provides a google drive access to her online test series students where she provides compilations on IR country wise, so there are views by scholars also included. You can arrange for those compilations and check them out for important countries like China, Pak, US.

That's all I know about it. Hope it helps.
  • Zigong said:

@leakycauldron mam may help. AIR39 2017 with psir. Self study.

• edited June 18

Hi. My score in PSIR is not all that good but I'll share with you whatever I did. For paper 1, I think SR mam's notes can be referred to. You will find several quotes from scholars on most topics in the syllabus. From panchayati raj to federalism, those notes have a few scholars on each topic. Second, we all have a rough idea of who are well respected academics in this field. So if there is an article by Yogendra Yadav you must note down points you find good. If an ex CEC writes an article on electoral reforms, you must note down the important points. Here again, it is important to stick to the syllabus and make your notes as compact as possible.
    For IR, I would watch RSTV's India's world where they invite diplomats and experts, and would jot down any good points they would make. Since this show proceeds issue-wise, it is helpful when questions are more specific on latest developments.Also, I would suggest following experts like Brahma chellany, C. Rajmohan etc, you can check their blogs once every week and quickly note down stuff you think might help. Finally, SR provides a google drive access to her online test series students where she provides compilations on IR country wise, so there are views by scholars also included. You can arrange for those compilations and check them out for important countries like China, Pak, US.

That's all I know about it. Hope it helps.

Apoorva ji,Congrats. You mentioned in one of your interviews that you had taken online test series from SR Mam. Did you take the test series once you clear the prelims, or was it before the Prelims? Do you have any idea about the Crash Course that she is taking now in the Cycle between Prelims and Mains? Please do share a few of your answers as well. I wish, I had Essay writing skills like yours. I have taken your Essay's Print Outs, and I motivate myself by reading them. "Boht Bhal Likh re tumal to, Pe Ajkal ke Cheli to bhaute hoshiyar honi bal".
  • Paper1Part1
    Brian Nelson & Heywood Ideology will suffice. (Refer this book for more https://www.amazon.in/Fifty-Political-Thinkers-Routledge-Guides/dp/0415400996/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529323900&sr=8-1&keywords=routledge+50+thinkers )
    Paper1Part2
    The Indian Express columnists & Law Commission of India reports (can refer to Oxford book by Pratap Bhanu Mehta but it is too thick)

Paper2Part1
    Baylis Smith book OR Global Politics anyone ( for more https://www.amazon.in/Thinkers-International-Relations-Routledge-Guides/dp/041577571X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529323900&sr=8-2&keywords=routledge+50+thinkers )
    Paper2Part2
    RSTV on Youtube. For Asian countries refer The Diplomat.

(Also search on quora for Evernote files on PSIR by Tusar Gupta - his notes will cover the all thinkers)
  • For PSIR OPTIONAL writing practice WHATSAPP group 2018_19 .. Join(*ONLY for MAINS Appearing, or atleast who read all material)

https://chat.whatsapp.com/9qSf64Zk8fVKLPFSf8yJmI
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog