Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open! Community Meet 3 – June 10th | 2PM | Meet Anudeep, Abhishek, Sachin, Apurva and Ankita Mishra & the Toppers of CSE 2017

Aftermath of prelims 2018........Which is better vision 365 factly or insights

edited June 4 in Current Affairs
now that the dust has settled on one of the toughest prelims paper, time to discuss where to prepare current affairs from
seniors as well as new comers suggest????

Comments

• wolfpack said:

now that the dust has settled on one of the toughest prelims paper, time to discuss where to prepare current affairs from

Neither 1 nor 2 nor 3
  • Yr is baar koi nahi chala.
  • @dpagarwal any other way
  • My request to all please contribute this thread so that it will be fruitful for next time

Time people spend on speculation can be better spent here
  • Nothing worked perhaps Insights , Vision or IAS baba compilation this time .
  • The Hindu only worked!!
    That too just reading and blindly making notes also won't help you.

Well this wanted lot of analysis and self discussion!!

Creamy info gathering just by reading is futile!!
  • wolfpack said:

@dpagarwal any other way

Bhai reading newspaper, surfing govt websites and pdf. The old school way worked this time.
    Revising pt 365 at least 3 times suggested by toppers didnt worked.
  • @dpagarwal old school way means scan the whole newspaper for relevant bits? and can indian express suffice
  • Vision monthly. But cover more than one year. Kindly don't put vision in same category as insights.

Ngt cpcb
    Leader of opp
    Mdr
    Nsg
    Frbm
    capital adequacy
    Thang ta
    Nfsa
    Gi tag
    Bhim
    Child labour
    IAEA
    ASEAN
    THAAD
    Saving in economy
    Wanna cry
    Sixth mass
    Irnss
    Gm mustard
    Belle and block chain
    Internet of things
    Pmkvy
    Catalonia
    Gslv pslv
    Banking reform
    Gst not applicable on some things
    Npop apeda

• wolfpack said:

@dpagarwal old school way means scan the whole newspaper for relevant bits? and can indian express suffice

Before 2013 when vision ca was not in vogue people used to read newspaper , note down imloratant points. Then search relevant articles on internet. Write more points.
    Eg. If there is some news on monsoon striking kerala coast earlier than its normal time.
    People used to visit IMD website. Visit relevant links. Some pdf are there. Read them .make notes out of them.
    If ebola occured. Visit WHO website. This people used to do befre 2014 . Very few people relied on chronicle , wizard and other magazines. But then vision came and new class of toppers emerged.
    . People stopped searching background and extra information themseleves . Reading monthly compilation of vision. Many stopped reading newspaper altogether. This strategy worked in 2015-2017. But now it seems UPSC changed its ways. More will be clear after this year mains paper.

• wolfpack said:

Last year I prepared from vision. Got 125. This year again vision helped me in at least 25-26 questions. But I lost on my static which I had not revised at all due to some time constraints.

People have to understand that vision is certainly good and will help you a lot in eliminating options. It's best and there is no doubt about that.

But nothing can replace daily reading of newspaper. These monthly compilations are supplements, not the core source.

One newspaper, rstv (all india radio has lost its quality), vision monthly (not 365), only ias daily news and practice of mcqs will help. Though nothing guarantees best performance but this is one of the best combination one can follow.
  • Many people are in shock and cursing UPSC asking about motives behind such paper etc etc. I think it's a fruitless debate. Many will still clear and make it in.

The only reasonable reform we can ask is to have question papers delivered with seal.

Truthfully last year I met a senior aspirant who had warned me that UPSC was always like this, that 2015-2017 were anomalies. He had told me to prepare directly from Hindu and PIB. I was too overconfident and underserious and didn't listen.
    If you pick up Laxmikant and see the PYQs at the back, there are some tricky questions from 2005,2006 that are like this year's polity.
    So it's safe to say that it always was like this.

Anyway so my hard learnt lesson is study yourself from original sources. Whatever comes in Hindu go to it's original site and learn. Use Vision/Insights only to check what you have missed at month end.

But most vitally, what I felt reading it was that my last two months wala current affairs magazine prep was insufficient. Unless you revise regularly, you will not remember.

So I suggest to follow spaced repetition techniques for revision.

And seriously solve last 20 years Question papers if you are newcomer. It's much much better than any test series you'll ever find
    . We are what we do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.
  • None of the above. No need to read those magazines
  • shivajii said:

None of the above. No need to read those magazines

Don't be blunt and naive
  • do vision monthly magazines. avoid pt365 at anycost. why??

1.pt 365 is released at the nth hour.
    2.pt365 is basically 1 years complete news.

avoid insights altogether.
    Sabka maalik domino
  • domino said:

do vision monthly magazines. avoid pt365 at anycost. why??

1.pt 365 is released at the nth hour.
    2.pt365 is basically 1 years complete news.

avoid insights altogether.

That's the right approach. Vision again has helped indirectly or directly in 23-24 questions. If one does not do month wise and does not revise everything twice or more then again he or she will end up derogating its significance. 23-24 is a big number. Don't fantasize 2016 paper again.
  • Vision for me.
  • @AnnikaGiannini @Toota Hua Dil @domino thanks for the insight

But vision magazine will suffice or insights also has to be referred
  • Don't demean vision. It does help you in elimination. People expect questions to be directly lifted from vision that's unlikely to happen.
  • Yes its more of vision monthly than vision 365 ....
  • wolfpack said:

@AnnikaGiannini @Toota Hua Dil @domino thanks for the insight

But vision magazine will suffice or insights also has to be referred

Trust me. Insights is bulky and quality has also deteriorated. You won't be able to revise it. Cost to benefit is very very low. Watch onlyias videos instead. Insights will be covered there. Newspaper is must.
  • Prelims is exactly what syllabus says.. "general awareness" "general observation".

Be alert of whats going around you. Watch news, read news, mags, have a curiosity about whats going on in the world. There is no syllabus. But as an educated person, we need to be aware. Thats why questions seems so general yet tough.

Insights, vision, etc..etc.are useless.
    Cycle of prelims and Mains continues into the 8th and Final Year ---> 2018.

3rd Account

One of the Earliest Forum Member!
  • Prelims is exactly what syllabus says.. "general awareness" "general observation".

Be alert of whats going around you. Watch news, read news, mags, have a curiosity about whats going on in the world. There is no syllabus. But as an educated person, we need to be aware. Thats why questions seems so general yet tough.

Insights, vision, etc..etc.are useless.

Elimination only way out practically. I mean great elimination skills.
    Astrology ,stand up comedy
    Love to make memes,
  • vision ias >>>>>all other shit
    NPOP, thaad, light bending, child labor, thangta and so on
    many things they had cvered in their material, but people are expecting ki qsn seedha vision se aa jaye toh wo nhi hoga...dig deeper into the issues that you find in vision, thats more than enough
    agr qsn solve hona he toh vision se ho jayega nhi toh tukka maarne me help krega vision...insights ka ts, ca sb bakwass he , last year hi thread pr bola tha dont go after insights, itna detail wo bhi faltu ke topics me kon pdta he , optional or mains k liye bhi toh time nikalne he bnde ko
    "Is it surprising that prisons resemble factories, schools, barracks, hospitals, which all resemble prisons?"
  • Vision monthly/ PT 365 is definitely better as compared to others. But don't read it at the last moment.
    Attempt # 4 | 1st attempt with PSIR optional | Previous attempts with statistics optional | RBI Grade B Officer
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog