How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class

Calling out Toppers and Selected Candidates of CSE 2017 for Mentoring Students of 2018 and 2019

Dear Friends,

We are calling out those of you who have secured a rank this year and have benefited from ForumIAS Community or Academy in any way to join us between June - July - August before leaving for the academy - and help other candidates in Mentoring candidates for 2018 Mains and 2019.

This will be a three month internship, and will also have a stipend too :)

Plus, we have a pizza party every week :-) to add some joy to an otherwise challenging and tiresome work profile.

This will be an enriching experience for you too, as ForumIAS, until now , attracts the best candidates , and you will get to meet young people , in shaping whose career , you will play an instrumental role.

So the next Rank 1 could be your student :)

Attaching a Thank you note for your reference

Please email us with your bio at ravi@forumias.com
mentorship.png
400 x 531 - 46K

Comments

• I am interested. A good interaction will benefit all.
  • Why not the toppers bring their knowledge to everyone through blogs? That way all would be helped equally. This only benefits the students of Forumias Academy, not to those who can't be part of it. We have many toppers who helped other like Gaurav Sir, Anudeep Sir, Ira Maam, Mitali Maam through blogs. Why not inspire them all to write something which would benefit everyone?
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

• One more thing I would like to mention here: The toppers who are here on forumias, they have been benefited by many people, specially old members of forumias, when everyone participated freely and when all were members of forumias website. So, in a way forum gained knowledge through all of them. We all learned from them. Even the mentors at forumias can't deny that. Now, just asking them to be part of academy, that does sound like horse trading, isn't it?

I mean their knowledge is for all the aspirants, not to be restricted to members of some "academy".

I mean no ill will. People are free to do whatever they want.

Some days back people were saying forum has lost its heydays, now its filled with noise and all. I may be wrong here, but I think one of the reasons is Forumias ceased to be egalitarian platform as commercial interests has come up.

Anyway, thanks.

• edited May 17
    ForumIAS said:

Dear Friends,

We are calling out those of you who have secured a rank this year and have benefited from ForumIAS Community or Academy in any way to join us between June - July - August before leaving for the academy - and help other candidates in Mentoring candidates for 2018 Mains and 2019.

Plus, we have a pizza party every week :-) to add some joy to an otherwise challenging and tiresome work profile.

This will be an enriching experience for you too, as ForumIAS, until now , attracts the best candidates , and you will get to meet young people , in shaping whose career , you will play an instrumental role.

Attaching a Thank you note for your reference :)

@Neyawn
    I'm yet to get the pizza party. :neutral:
  • Why not the toppers bring their knowledge to everyone through blogs? That way all would be helped equally. This only benefits the students of Forumias Academy, not to those who can't be part of it. We have many toppers who helped other like Gaurav Sir, Anudeep Sir, Ira Maam, Mitali Maam through blogs. Why not inspire them all to write something which would benefit everyone?

They should . They all will have to compulsorily write blog posts.

However , please realise that mentor ship is an excruciatingly tiresome task which is not sustainable in the long run unless there is a commitment from the mentor.

It calls for sitting 8 hours a day 7 days a week.

Besides , the best people to guide aspirants are the ones who have just written the examination.

*No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • edited May 17
    BLOOD, SWEAT, COURAGE, GLORY.
  • One more thing I would like to mention here: The toppers who are here on forumias, they have been benefited by many people, specially old members of forumias, when everyone participated freely and when all were members of forumias website. So, in a way forum gained knowledge through all of them. We all learned from them. Even the mentors at forumias can't deny that. Now, just asking them to be part of academy, that does sound like horse trading, isn't it?

I mean their knowledge is for all the aspirants, not to be restricted to members of some "academy".

Some days back people were saying forum has lost its heydays, now its filled with noise and all. I may be wrong here, but I think one of the reasons is Forumias ceased to be egalitarian platform as commercial interests has come up.

Anyway, thanks.

In my opinion you do not understand horse trading .

It would be horse trading if someone said do not work , just put your face and endorse .

There are so many people who were working behind the scenes last year who are in final list.

It would be wrong if forum claims people working as students in my opinion, but it does not.

People are being asked to work . And I think it’s very dignified to work.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • louislitt said:

ForumIAS said:

Dear Friends,

@Neyawn
    @leomessi10 will give you the pizza party . He said he gained a lot from your strategy article and answer booklets :)
  • Neyawn said:

louislitt said:

ForumIAS said:

Dear Friends,

@Neyawn
    @leomessi10 will give you the pizza party . He said he gained a lot from your strategy article and answer booklets :)
    I read his blog. So sweet of him to write about it in his blog.
    I would love to give him a pizza party for that.
  • Neyawn said:

louislitt said:

ForumIAS said:

Dear Friends,

@Neyawn
    A pizza frm me as well, but only if @louislitt can tell who I am :wink:
    Rank 109, CSE 2017. Geo.
  • Your bio tells me who you are. Congrats man. Incredibly happy to hear that you cleared. And I'm glad to know that I was of help. :smile:
  • louislitt said:

Your bio tells me who you are. Congrats man. Incredibly happy to hear that you cleared. And I'm glad to know that I was of help. :smile:

+Breadsticks
    Rank 109, CSE 2017. Geo.
  • louislitt said:

Your bio tells me who you are. Congrats man. Incredibly happy to hear that you cleared. And I'm glad to know that I was of help. :smile:

+Breadsticks
    Hahahaha
  • Looks like i'm in demand :mrgreen:
  • pizzza said:

Looks like i'm in demand :mrgreen:

Ina cheese burst base.

Anyway, thanks.

+1001
    U have hit d nerve.
  • Neyawn said:

pizzza said:

Looks like i'm in demand :mrgreen:

Ina cheese burst base.
    Never have it. It's not cheese, it's emulsified mayo. Not a gram of dairy.
    Deputy Collector and Sub-Divisional Magistrate - Government of Gujarat.
    Prelims - 5; Mains - 3*; Interview - 1; Rank - NA.
  • Neyawn said:

One more thing I would like to mention here: The toppers who are here on forumias, they have been benefited by many people, specially old members of forumias, when everyone participated freely and when all were members of forumias website. So, in a way forum gained knowledge through all of them. We all learned from them. Even the mentors at forumias can't deny that. Now, just asking them to be part of academy, that does sound like horse trading, isn't it?

Anyway, thanks.

It would be horse trading if someone said do not work , just put your face and endorse .

There are so many people who were working behind the scenes last year who are in final list.

It would be wrong if forum claims people working as students in my opinion, but it does not.

Hi Sir,

Sir because I genuinely respect you. Your one Mains video helped scores of students like me who can't join coaching programs or be at Delhi for one reason or another. I am grateful for that.

I may not have been clear earlier.

I am not against work by selected candidates. Any work is dignified.

What my point is that please encourage toppers to put out blogs, or video posts. This announcement was made to ask them to come to Delhi and guide regular students of paid courses of forumias.academy. Now, will they have enough time or energy left to address queries that people like us would post them online?? I guess not. Also, they might not even put up blogs or anything of that sort since they would be already helping some students associated with forumias programs and they would be satisfied. Meanwhile, Forumias will have all the intellectual capital and they can even use that in next year's advertisements.

I am against this. I may seem selfish. It's true. Why? Because I also want to clear. But I don't have opportunity to be there in Delhi, or enroll in programs to get personal guidance from mentors. So why not ask them to write something that can be reached by lots of students from various parts of country? And that would help not only me, but also many other who would come after me.

Just like Gaurav Aggarwal sir did, Ira maam did, and Mitali maam did, why not you people encourage them to write open blogs so that we all can benefit? Now, what's in it for you? Well, forumias would grow even bigger, it will be even more popular, aspirants would love it.

And regarding horse trading, I may be wrong, I may not know its meaning. But what I meant is toppers are here only after guidance from many which includes even old forumias members, and also of their extreme hard work. Now, to lure them away for teaching students at exclusive programs, I think that is bit unethical and unfair towards all other people who visit this site to gain direction for this exam. That's what I meant by horse trading.

I am sorry if anyone is hurt by reading my comments.

Thanks.

• Neyawn said:

One more thing I would like to mention here: The toppers who are here on forumias, they have been benefited by many people, specially old members of forumias, when everyone participated freely and when all were members of forumias website. So, in a way forum gained knowledge through all of them. We all learned from them. Even the mentors at forumias can't deny that. Now, just asking them to be part of academy, that does sound like horse trading, isn't it?

Anyway, thanks.

Hi Sir,

Sir because I genuinely respect you. Your one Mains video helped scores of students like me who can't join coaching programs or be at Delhi for one reason or another. I am grateful for that.

What my point is that please encourage toppers to put out blogs, or video posts. This announcement was made to ask them to come to Delhi and guide regular students of paid courses of forumias.academy. Now, will they have enough time or energy left to address queries that people like us would post them online?? I guess not. Also, they might not even put up blogs or anything of that sort since they would be already helping some students associated with forumias programs and they would be satisfied. Meanwhile, Forumias will have all the intellectual capital and they can even use that in next year's advertisements.

I am against this. I may seem selfish. It's true. Why? Because I also want to clear. But I don't have opportunity to be there in Delhi, or enroll in programs to get personal guidance from mentors. So why not ask them to write something that can be reached by lots of students from various parts of country? And that would help not only me, but also many other who would come after me.

Just like Gaurav Aggarwal sir did, Ira maam did, and Mitali maam did, why not you people encourage them to write open blogs so that we all can benefit? Now, what's in it for you? Well, forumias would grow even bigger, it will be even more popular, aspirants would love it.

And regarding horse trading, I may be wrong, I may not know its meaning. But what I meant is toppers are here only after guidance from many which includes even old forumias members, and also of their extreme hard work. Now, to lure them away for teaching students at exclusive programs, I think that is bit unethical and unfair towards all other people who visit this site to gain direction for this exam. That's what I meant by horse trading.

Thanks.

No no ,not at all. You have made some valid points.

My apologies if I crossed the line , which I think I did.

A lot of thinking goes into whatever we do. We do not have a lifetime to achieve what we want to. All of us want to do something meaningful.

First, you will never know if a selected candidate is mentoring you. It is usually kept private unless there is a personal bonding which happens with time. Most of the times people don’t know who is helping them out with things. A JNU scholar and an allied officer select was evaluating Anudeep’s copy and he was very happy when he found out that his student is Rank 1.

Secondly, people who get selected come from different backgrounds . A lot of people are already working somewhere. A lot of people come from rural backgrounds. A lot of people t of people are those who never have visited this community either . They didn’t go online at all. They are brimming with knowledge , and we can tell if they help someone, they can make officers.

Thirdly, whatever we can do well, we must do best. If we are doing academy , we should do it best or not do it at all.

This year almost every second candidate is from forum academy,not community. It was a silent movement, while some people were criticising forum programs asking to go for VJRM , VSN, INSTS etc, a major part of serious crowd quietly shifted to forum . I used to be surprised at the huge dichotomy where people on forum are talking xyz.com and at the offline Center we have the best people choosing us.

Fourthly , yes there’s was less focus on the blog last year. That, and more focus on older candidates . From this year we will focus on younger candidates and the blog too.

If you see, back in 2012 there were no blogs like insights and others. And forum was not doing content, it was only a discussion forum. But because we had a couple of blogs , pushing content day in and day out , a major crowd shifted and we became a chatterbox.

Earlier we used to accumulate content here, but that was already being done by new websites , so people migrated .

We had to do content , and we know we are not doing our best - and that ended up with academy.

Plus , the first wave of people who joined us were not from forum alone . They knew us individually and personally and we worked on them. Even last year I can tell that half the people at academy are not on forum.

Will write more, but as of now , this is all I have to say .

Tired.
  • edited May 17
    That point in life, when you don't know whether you should be mentoring, or be mentored.

Just another day in the life of a veteran candidate. :smiley:
    Na mai padheya, Na mai likheya
    Par mai duniya, toh badha sikheya
  • edited May 17
  • edited May 17
    Mentoring specific candidates and writing blogs/articles - both are not mutually exclusive. There's a world of difference between the two and both can be harmoniously balanced.

I've been sharing my inputs on the forum for the past 1 year now, and they are all in the nature of the learnings from various stages of the examination. But I can honestly tell that (even before the result) I get around 1-2 direct messages everyday asking a specific query or addressing a specific concern. So, general guidance is very different from specific mentoring.

Nothing should stop the mentors from sharing their experiences and tips on blogs and articles. General guidance cannot be substituted by mentoring of a select few, and the one's lucky enough to be mentoring do realise this, I'm sure. :)
  • nandini said:

Mentoring specific candidates and writing blogs/articles - both are not mutually exclusive. There's a world of difference between the two and both can be harmoniously balanced.

I've been sharing my inputs on the forum for the past 1 year now, and they are all in the nature of the learnings from various stages of the examination. But I can honestly tell that (even before the result) I get around 1-2 direct messages everyday asking a specific query or addressing a specific concern. So, general guidance is very different from specific mentoring.

Nothing should stop the mentors from sharing their experiences and tips on blogs and articles. General guidance cannot be substituted by mentoring of a select few, and the one's lucky enough to be mentoring do realise this, I'm sure. :)

Congratulations, ma'am!

Sorry for the delay.

• Neyawn said:

Anyway, thanks.

Hi Sir,

Thanks.

And I think I was innocent.

• Neyawn said:

Anyway, thanks.

Hi Sir,

Thanks.

And I think I was innocent.
    *thought

• Neyawn said:

Neyawn said:

Anyway, thanks.

Hi Sir,

Thanks.

A lot of thinking goes into whatever we do. We do not have a lifetime to achieve what we want to. All of us want to do something meaningful.

First, you will never know if a selected candidate is mentoring you. It is usually kept private unless there is a personal bonding which happens with time. Most of the times people don’t know who is helping them out with things. A JNU scholar and an allied officer select was evaluating Anudeep’s copy and he was very happy when he found out that his student is Rank 1.

Secondly, people who get selected come from different backgrounds . A lot of people are already working somewhere. A lot of people come from rural backgrounds. A lot of people t of people are those who never have visited this community either . They didn’t go online at all. They are brimming with knowledge , and we can tell if they help someone, they can make officers.

Thirdly, whatever we can do well, we must do best. If we are doing academy , we should do it best or not do it at all.

This year almost every second candidate is from forum academy,not community. It was a silent movement, while some people were criticising forum programs asking to go for VJRM , VSN, INSTS etc, a major part of serious crowd quietly shifted to forum . I used to be surprised at the huge dichotomy where people on forum are talking xyz.com and at the offline Center we have the best people choosing us.

Fourthly , yes there’s was less focus on the blog last year. That, and more focus on older candidates . From this year we will focus on younger candidates and the blog too.

If you see, back in 2012 there were no blogs like insights and others. And forum was not doing content, it was only a discussion forum. But because we had a couple of blogs , pushing content day in and day out , a major crowd shifted and we became a chatterbox.

Earlier we used to accumulate content here, but that was already being done by new websites , so people migrated .

We had to do content , and we know we are not doing our best - and that ended up with academy.

Plus , the first wave of people who joined us were not from forum alone . They knew us individually and personally and we worked on them. Even last year I can tell that half the people at academy are not on forum.

Tired.
    The way u r saying u will focus on younger candidates......i think older candidate should skip this attempt :p >:)
  • kamena said:

Neyawn said:

Neyawn said:

Anyway, thanks.

Hi Sir,

Thanks.

Tired.
    The way u r saying u will focus on younger candidates......i think older candidate should skip this attempt :p >:)
    My apologies.

What I meant was, even the whole site is beginner unfriendly.
    There was a time when you could ask what is GDP VS GNP and someone would type in a beautiful reply.

That’s a beginner question. Today, I think someone will nearly discourage him and ask him to Google it.

I don’t think that a beginner would feel very comfortable here as in a question like this, no one would really reply and secondly with interview discussions and all that happening here , it would also be intimidating for him / her to do so.
  • RasAlGhul said:

That point in life, when you don't know whether you should be mentoring, or be mentored.

Just another day in the life of a veteran candidate. :smiley:

That unknown vacuum between adolescence and adulthood.

They are mutually exclusive . You don’t do both.
  • Neyawn said:

Neyawn said:

Anyway, thanks.

Hi Sir,

Thanks.

Tired.
    Yes sir, please encourage more toppers to put out blogs and please post videos like on mains writing and other aspects of exam. That way it can reach greater audience. I mean, you do start mentorship program with those who are interested. I have nothing against that.

And also the aspect where one doesn't know his mentors is good.

And for toppers who are not members of this online community, please upload some videos of them here or on website of forumias. I mean forumias can at least do that. Not necessarily all, but some of the basics like answer writing, how to deal with stress and all. I only have that request.

• nandini said:

Yes mam, you have correctly pointed out that both are not mutually exclusive. But the thing is few can balance it as beautifully as you. Most would get tired and they already would have some satisfaction of helping out some specific students under mentorship. So, greater community wouldn't get help in that process.

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog