How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class

MBA @ 29: Is It too late ?

Hi all, I am an old member here and a failed upsc aspirant so couldn't gather enough courage to come from my profile directly. Wrote only a single mains in 5 attempts and just turned 29.

I wanted to ask you all; is starting doing MBA @29 would be worth it since I will be completing it probably by 31 and half ?

Comments

• Mitthu said:

Hi all, I am an old member here and a failed upsc aspirant so couldn't gather enough courage to come from my profile directly. Wrote only a single mains in 5 attempts and just turned 29.

I wanted to ask you all; is starting doing MBA @29 would be worth it since I will be completing it probably by 31 and half ?

Better go with job and enroll in cost accountancy or company secretary course plus mba from distance.
  • Mitthu said:

Too late? No.

Worth it? Depends on your aspirations.

• Definitely worth it if you can break into tier 1 colleges. Make the most of two years there. Try to maintain a top-notch GPA, fortify your resume, bid adieu to your past pitfalls, and move ahead. The first few years can be tough, but if you stick in there, it'll pay you off.
  • gandu said:

Definitely worth it if you can break into tier 1 colleges. Make the most of two years there. Try to maintain a top-notch GPA, fortify your resume, bid adieu to your past pitfalls, and move ahead. The first few years can be tough, but if you stick in there, it'll pay you off.

+1
    once again HUSTLE
  • Why not worth? At worst you will get comparatively low ctc job and treated as a fresher. At 29 age normally people with work ex go for executive program or mba from ISB and get placed at medium management. Bit by defining your skills you can escalate high within 10 years. That’s the advantage with private jobs.
  • Mitthu said:

Yes..its too late if u dnt hav any job experienc..
    But its definitely worth it evn at 35 yrs if u hav job experienc..
    Try to get a job 1st or start any small business..thn try for MBA in tier-1 colleges
    T ↑ [0→1] = T ↓ [1→infinity]
  • Mitthu said:

Yes..its too late if u dnt hav any job experienc..
    But its definitely worth it evn at 35 yrs if u hav job experienc..
    Try to get a job 1st or start any small business..thn try for MBA in tier-1 colleges
    business experience counted in workex??
    we have a small business that deals with laser engraving on footwear products, what documents would i need to show for workex.
    "A bird on wing finds something , while those who sit still only find death "
  • gandu said:

Definitely worth it if you can break into tier 1 colleges. Make the most of two years there. Try to maintain a top-notch GPA, fortify your resume, bid adieu to your past pitfalls, and move ahead. The first few years can be tough, but if you stick in there, it'll pay you off.

How to do this? @gandu

• edited May 13

gandu said:

How to do this? @gandu
    participate and win in intra-and-inter-college festivals.
    participate and try to win in idea competitions at country or world level....
    learn new skills... which one to learn?? u will find out in college... by participating in activities...
    improve your articulation skills....

IIM-A routine is extremely rigorous, till faccha period... just survive such schedule with batchmates...
    etc....
  • edited May 13
    Lots of 28 year olds in TISS HR, after being disillusioned with the upsc rat race. Mind you, CAT is another huge rat race, so keep all your options open, it doesn't necessarily have to be tier 1 or 2 but more of what you do in your course and outside the classroom. Just be confident and don't give in to fatalism post your failed attempts, you will nail the GD interview phase easily than those 21-22 year old punks who get their debates and pointers off facebook or other social media.

If I were you, I would write TISS entrance seriously, the placement scene is godly there
  • edited May 13
    Mitthu said:

Can't really comment on what to do or not to do, but yes.. Happy Birthday. :mrgreen:
  • Lots of 28 year olds in TISS HR, after being disillusioned with the upsc rat race. Mind you, CAT is another huge rat race, so keep all your options open, it doesn't necessarily have to be tier 1 or 2 but more of what you do in your course and outside the classroom. Just be confident and don't give in to fatalism post your failed attempts, you will nail the GD interview phase easily than those 21-22 year old punks who get their debates and pointers off facebook or other social media.

If I were you, I would write TISS entrance seriously, the placement scene is godly there

JNU ~ TISS bhai bhai. Just kidding. Don't mind. :mrgreen:
  • edited May 13
    Mitthu said:

@Mitthu Play smart buddy!!! ;)

Contact one of your friend to get work experience certificate (fake) of his/her firm. I am assuming you have good contacts in corporate world. India me ho itna to kar hi sakte ho. Thoda sa smart work karke acting karo ki tumne woh sab kiya hai. Koi bhi top B school work exp. Ko pahle variyata(preference) deta hai.

Koi nahi Sunna chahta hai UPSC ki bojhil dastan. CAT me lag jaao thoda dhang se hi. Play smart. Kisi IIT ya NIT pass-out ko pakdo bahut saari tricks Bata dega Aptitude ki. English to kar hi loge Mankar chal raha hun.

UPSC ki prep kiye ho katna to seekh hi gaye hoge. ;)
    You better be careful kid
  • Mulberry said:

Lots of 28 year olds in TISS HR, after being disillusioned with the upsc rat race. Mind you, CAT is another huge rat race, so keep all your options open, it doesn't necessarily have to be tier 1 or 2 but more of what you do in your course and outside the classroom. Just be confident and don't give in to fatalism post your failed attempts, you will nail the GD interview phase easily than those 21-22 year old punks who get their debates and pointers off facebook or other social media.

JNU ~ TISS bhai bhai. Just kidding. Don't mind. :mrgreen:
    Lol, in reality TISS has a bigger radical crowd than JNU, just not in HR. They are anti- everything, from anti-nuclear energy to anti- Hinduism to being members of the Afzal Guru fan club, these punks have killed what it means to be a leftist.
  • thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I will consider working in meanwhile till i get some fair college for mba and then try to perform well.

I cudnt think of any other opportunity in short run to get settle so thought of mba.

@DonQuixote which branches are good for MA from TISS both in work profile and pay placements. Can u plz tell me here or in inbox if u have any idea and have some free tym anytime ? i liked its climate change program but i heard currently tiss dont provide placements for it and the programme is yet to take off at good level to attract people.
  • edited May 13
    Mitthu said:

thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I will consider working in meanwhile till i get some fair college for mba and then try to perform well.

I cudnt think of any other opportunity in short run to get settle so thought of mba.

@DonQuixote which branches are good for MA from TISS both in work profile and pay placements. Can u plz tell me here or in inbox if u have any idea and have some free tym anytime ? i liked its climate change program but i heard currently tiss dont provide placements for it and the programme is yet to take off at good level to attract people.

MBA is the best way to find a well paying job in this country, like you have already figured out. I have cousins and a couple of friends who were from TISS Mumbai campus, but they don't speak highly of the placements other than HR. Infact, they are all stuck in NGO jobs in their fields which they had to seek off campus, that pay them max 40k even after 3-4 years of exp. So, even though the idea of a masters in climate change or say labour studies lure you, stick to the safer option, given your age concern.

HR MBA= Gold standard for TISS. Try for XL or Simbi too, don't know about the finances in these instis though. Then there are a couple of good instis in Gujarat, like MUDRA or NIRMA or even IRMA, that are known for their niche placements.

Just don't lose hope, being positive in your mind is the first thing you need at this point. You are much better equiped in knowledge than your competitors who are kids, just make sure you crack the first level with a lot of maths and english practice. Tiss also has current affairs section, you will do well with a little effort. Life doesn't stop at 29-30 or with UPSC, remember that :)
  • Mitthu said:

thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I will consider working in meanwhile till i get some fair college for mba and then try to perform well.

MBA is the best way to find a well paying job in this country, like you have already figured out. I have cousins and a couple of friends who were from TISS Mumbai campus, but they don't speak highly of the placements other than HR. Infact, they are all stuck in NGO jobs in their fields which they had to seek off campus, that pay them max 40k even after 3-4 years of exp. So, even though the idea of a masters in climate change or say labour studies lure you, stick to the safer option, given your age concern.

HR MBA= Gold standard for TISS. Try for XL or Simbi too, don't know about the finances in these instis though. Then there are a couple of good instis in Gujarat, like MUDRA or NIRMA, that are known for their niche placements.
    Where ll u place TISS in HR in comparison to other tier 1 institutes
  • edited May 13
    I have missed tissnet, cat, xat.. is there anything I can do at this very moment to save myself?? Is there any good college i can go.. fees not an issue.

3 years work ex in good company, can i show it as 4-5??
    Friends in same situation, koi gunjaish hai?
    IPS in making
  • Mitthu said:

HR MBA= Gold standard for TISS. Try for XL or Simbi too, don't know about the finances in these instis though. Then there are a couple of good instis in Gujarat, like MUDRA or NIRMA or even IRMA, that are known for their niche placements.

Just don't lose hope, being positive in your mind is the first thing you need at this point. You are much better equiped in knowledge than your competitors who are kids, just make sure you crack the first level with a lot of maths and english practice. Tiss also has current affairs section, you will do well with a little effort. Life doesn't stop at 29-30 or with UPSC, remember that :)
    How is Labour studies course from jnu? Can u shed some light on it?
  • you have to decide for yourself no one will decide for you here. As harsh as I may sound but you are the sole decision maker for the way you want to live. rather than asking forumites ,quorians, ask your inner self. listen to that inner instinct and after you get answer believe yourself and move on

• Mitthu said:

HR MBA= Gold standard for TISS. Try for XL or Simbi too, don't know about the finances in these instis though. Then there are a couple of good instis in Gujarat, like MUDRA or NIRMA, that are known for their niche placements.
    Where ll u place TISS in HR in comparison to other tier 1 institutes
    I don't have the stats or the time to compare, but you would make atleast 10-12 lakhs out of it for sure, if you don't fuck up there.
  • I have missed tissnet, cat, xat.. is there anything I can do at this very moment to save myself?? Is there any good college i can go.. fees not an issue.

Please help
    IPS in making
  • karpov said:

Mitthu said:

Brilliant profs, great seminars, but very less interest, hence less cut offs. Prospects are also on the lower side, if you can't make it to academia then you are left scouring for jobs in the think tank scene, given the almost non-existence of trade unionism in our neoliberal times. If you are interested in eco( Lab studies need a lot of eco), go for Dev Studies, better opportunities and uprising field imo.
  • karpov said:

Mitthu said:

Brilliant profs, great seminars, but very less interest, hence less cut offs. Prospects are also on the lower side, if you can't make it to academia then you are left scouring for jobs in the think tank scene, given the almost non-existence of trade unionism in our neoliberal times. If you are interested in eco( Lab studies need a lot of eco), go for Dev Studies, better opportunities and uprising field imo.
    The course is called development and labour studies,so both are combined. Isn't it?
  • gandu said:

How to do this? @gandu
    learn new skills... which one to learn?? u will find out in college... by participating in activities...

IIM-A routine is extremely rigorous, till faccha period... just survive such schedule with batchmates...
    etc....
    Thanks!

But I'm not the same person as OP.

No MBA for me.

• I have missed tissnet, cat, xat.. is there anything I can do at this very moment to save myself?? Is there any good college i can go.. fees not an issue.

Please help
    why would you want to show 5 year workex, the optimum workex is around 3 years , if more than that then companies are hesitant to pick you up as they think you might have become too rigid or gained domain specialization
  • karpov said:

karpov said:

Mitthu said:

The course is called development and labour studies,so both are combined. Isn't it?
    The emphasis on JNU is more on labour, with a few papers scattered here and there that is common to both fields. That said, I don't know the nitty gritty of School of Lab studies, cause I didn't have friends in it. What I meant was to pursue Dev studies independtly, not in JNU, like in those IITs. Or go the PM rural fellowship route and then the almost guaranteed Sussex Univ scholarship, which is the best in the world for Dev Sector and a route for disillusioned upsc aspirants who go the PM way
  • Lt_Mamiya said:

I have missed tissnet, cat, xat.. is there anything I can do at this very moment to save myself?? Is there any good college i can go.. fees not an issue.

Please help
    why would you want to show 5 year workex, the optimum workex is around 3 years , if more than that then companies are hesitant to pick you up as they think you might have become too rigid or gained domain specialization

ex.PNG
    555 x 321 - 10K
    Capture.PNG
    982 x 348 - 24K
  • wtf!!! iim Calcutta not taking grad marks into account :love:
  • gandu said:

How to do this? @gandu

etc....
    Thanks!

But I'm not the same person as OP.

No MBA for me.
    only your precise query looked answerable to me on this thread... so was provided probable solutions... no prefix or suffixing thought !! my man / lady !! :mrgreen:
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog