10 Days to Prelims – 10 Things to Keep in Mind by Anudeep Durishetty CSE 2017 AIR 1
Online/Offline Batch Enrollment For Focussed Foundation Program 2019 (limited seats available)
Click Here :- Details | Register | Download Brochure

Changing of optional from History to Geography for last attempt in 2019. Need help and advice.

2019 will be my last attempt. I want to put everything into it. As the marks are released i came to know a couple of things.
1.The highest i ever scored in history was 220(although without practicing answer writing)
2. Rarely does someone score 300+ or even 290+ in history, while the percentage is high for geography for this range.
3. I have decided to play on my strengths for this last attempt. I am good with logic and concepts , okay at diagrams, can write creatively(as I have got many such reviews for my essay, which I think I can be able to replicate in Geography). Also although I have lots of interest in History, i find mugging up a lil difficult which is not helping me to convert it into marks.
4. Although I can't draw maps properly, i believe I can learn it in process .
5. Studying for a new optional i.e geography would take a lot time than revising previous one, i.e. history. I can revise whole history in a Month. But am not sure if I can convert it into marks.
6. Most importantly i have a whole year to study , which I plan to use it well. I plan to study for this exam like a beginner , buying new books, reading neeta again and again and all those things that a beginner will do,including choosing an optional. But I fear that if I fail in my final attempt i Might regret this decision of changing optional.

I have all kinds of dilemma, complex and complicated. I just hope that people reading this try to understand my situation.

I know this topic of changing optional has been discussed A LOT here. But I am unable to find clarity over this dilemma. As Swanand Kirkire has rightly said, dil ko samjhana keh do kya aasaan hai.... Dil ki har lagi ka suno dard hi hai ek sila.. kyun naye naye se dard ki firak me talash me udas hai dil .

Comments

• Are you skipping 2018 attempt.?
  • Are you skipping 2018 attempt.?

Yes
  • Are u sure u wanna go with geography ? Geography has preformed poorly , u can look at other options ,i will be sharing result of survey i conducted in evening maybe that will help
    Hustle mode..!!
  • Geo status = burning house
    AIR '000' UPSC Lottery Service :#
  • I'm seriously advising u to never take Geo as optional....it has got a huge syllabus, vague and difficult question with tremendous competition...U'll never be sure of ur performance even after putting a lot of efforts...u've only one shot left and u shudn't make it even more Unpredictable by taking this so called 'scientific','Technical', 'helpful in GS' etc. etc. optional. These all are propaganda of coaching factories of ORN....DON'T TAKE IT
  • Take Anthropology, Geo is very weird !
    Bismillah ar-rahman ar-rahim
  • take anthro

root note: Account suspended for posting obscene images
  • edited May 12
    UPSC makes life miserable for optionals with GS utility (actual or perceived)
    Nothing can be done except putting extra efforts to get close to 300 or 290 in this range and exploit that GS utility if any to maximise GS score.

Everyone speaking about math optional, its inherent nature of the subject, they deserve every marks for the time and effort need they put, also zero utility for GS, so max UPSC won't do that so called butchering even if they do it ll be moderate
    PS: entire optional subject inclusion is illogical, it's totally biased, no one can "scale" math, literature, science.

UPSC scaling system is just like IMD weather forecast, mostly failure, erratic
    AIR '000' UPSC Lottery Service :#
  • edited May 12
    Please don't be swayed by few good marks you see on the forum. Talk to someone with experience.
    Geography is an extremely demanding optional. You need to put in a lot of time and lots of effort to reach base level. From there on to score well is a different journey in itself. You need to really earn each mark in this optional. Every incremental mark above average marks is by a strategy and not by chance.
    Then UPSC has been giving surprises with geography every year.
    Syllabus is huge too.
    This is not to frighten you but given that it's your last attempt, take a considered decision.
    You can talk to Mudit Jain (rank 173) - he's active on quora - he has done in-depth analysis.
    Rank 246, CSE 2017
  • i have missed mains cutoff only because of geography, ( not because geography scores are low, but bcoz my preparation was flawed)..

what i feel about geog is that completing syllabus is just first step...

but next step is to develop geographical way of thinking and writing answers..( which might take time)..

so u can take geography if time is not an issue and u ready to take coaching...
    but still changing optional seems a gamble to me..( utne josh se wapis koi subject padhna is difficult)

ps: after reading pol science for a month and anthropology for a week or so, i m planning to stick with geography.

• Never heard of anyone switching from history to Geography.
    You should try anthro or sociology.

But you know your strengths and weaknesses so you're a better judge of your condition.
    There is no god but God
  • Thanks for the responses guys. I sense unhappiness about geography as optional. ,As you can see, i am desperate to get marks and as I have seen optional is the key . Still, getting decent marks in history is a huge task and rare too. I have checked other optionals too, i found geography worthtaking a shot for. Still will consider your opinions and think about anthropology, sociology , philosophy and others, go through them again. Its my last attempt and am Very confused. Choosing optional really is a huge task. Hush!
  • Hey, I was exactly where you were with history optional back in 2016. Wrote my first mains on the very first attempt with it and fared very poorly. I still love history to bits, but writing an upsc history paper isn't easy with all the map work and rote learning involved, which you have figured too.

You could try psir too if you have the least bit interest, since you mentioned creative license and clarity of concepts and logic, pol sci really allows you to express yourself imo. Plus you have enough time on your hands for 2019, 220+ is almost guaranteed if you have the correct approach for pol. Think it through. Atb
  • Joker01 said:

2019 will be my last attempt. I want to put everything into it. As the marks are released i came to know a couple of things.
    1.The highest i ever scored in history was 220(although without practicing answer writing)
    2. Rarely does someone score 300+ or even 290+ in history, while the percentage is high for geography for this range.
    3. I have decided to play on my strengths for this last attempt. I am good with logic and concepts , okay at diagrams, can write creatively(as I have got many such reviews for my essay, which I think I can be able to replicate in Geography). Also although I have lots of interest in History, i find mugging up a lil difficult which is not helping me to convert it into marks.
    4. Although I can't draw maps properly, i believe I can learn it in process .
    5. Studying for a new optional i.e geography would take a lot time than revising previous one, i.e. history. I can revise whole history in a Month. But am not sure if I can convert it into marks.
    6. Most importantly i have a whole year to study , which I plan to use it well. I plan to study for this exam like a beginner , buying new books, reading neeta again and again and all those things that a beginner will do,including choosing an optional. But I fear that if I fail in my final attempt i Might regret this decision of changing optional.

I have all kinds of dilemma, complex and complicated. I just hope that people reading this try to understand my situation.

I know this topic of changing optional has been discussed A LOT here. But I am unable to find clarity over this dilemma. As Swanand Kirkire has rightly said, dil ko samjhana keh do kya aasaan hai.... Dil ki har lagi ka suno dard hi hai ek sila.. kyun naye naye se dard ki firak me talash me udas hai dil .

Please don't take geography. It has got huge syllabus and takes lot of time to cover it comprehensively (without revisions). For example for the beginner reading Physical Geography by Savindra Singh which is must do book would require at least more than a month to cover. Consider taking PSIR as it's more or less stable performing subject. But if you are absolute beginner in geography and firm on your decision to opt for geography then I would advise you to join the coaching (especially Shabbir sir) so that you can cover the syllabus in time bound manner.
  • Title of the thread looks like a Troll.

Who, in right mind, shifts to Geography for his last attempt?
  • this guy is mad...he is on self destruction mission.
    Saregamapa upsc ke chakkar mein hogayi budhapa..(26 yr old)
  • Don't take geography. Due to it, many good candidates missed chance to be in the list. It needs huge investment and also some guidance. As others have said, it is just not a good option to think of. If you know someone who has scored well in geography, then you can give it a thought. Otherwise, not.
  • last attempt and geography !!! r u a troll ??
    composite things decay strive diligently ..
  • not against geography .. but its a 2 yr optional.. read geographical thought dnt fall for people who say its a technical sub
    composite things decay strive diligently ..
  • Joker01 said:
    wait a day , @Neyawn sir was kind enough to make it announcement , i think better analysis will be available after a day , check after 1 day , will get more consolidated view
    Hustle mode..!!
  • Considering various opinions and views, and checking out all past years papers, am strongly inclined towards not changing my optional. But lack of good scores in history related to other optionals makes me doubtful about History. Anyway, thanks for the discussion. Will let you know my decision.
  • I have decided to continue with history as optional for my last attempt and as @nandini has pointed out will work hard to earn each mark through strategy . Thank you all for the help and advice . @mods the discussion here has been fruitfully concluded.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog