Write the Prelims 7 Times before you write it on June 3
Write Simulator Test 2 at 9AM on April 8. Get Scorecard same day by 9PM. Enroll now ! Do not wait till its too late! Enrollment Links :1) Simulator Tests : 8 GS Tests 2) Simulator Tests : 8 GS + 4 CSAT Tests
Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE Prelim's 18 courses. Click on the below link for details -

(1) Modern Indian History                                         (2) Environment & Ecology
(3) Polity, Current Affairs & Govt. Schemes            (4)Budget & Economic survey
(5) Geography with MCQ's                                        (6) Important Current Affairs
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now

Hobby | The 3 books you will read before Interview/ Mains Result?

edited December 2013 in Social, Tips & Support
Hello,

What would be the three books you plan to read before the Interview or Mains Result? Why?

My diet chart is:-

1. The Men who ruled India by Philip Mason.

-British Historians are awesome. They really have a thing for story telling. This books begins with recording the ascent of British rule in India. But wait, its not about the dates and wars. It is about the individual personalities of the people who rules. This book beautifully records how the British were required to even crawl and kneel before Moghul Emperors when they exceeded their limits. It draws a fair comparison bewteen the difference between the East & the West. While the West has come up with a rule based governance, India still was ruled by Kings who would say something one day, and get pissed and say completely another thing the other day. The book presents an unbiased story of how we got enslaved under foreign yoke.

Why? Dr Shaleen aka @ valkyrie gifted it to me. Goodreads says it justifies British rule in India because Mason was what we all want to be - ICS.

2. Sophie's World

Contains entire Western Philosophy in a nutshell, not written like a textbook though. Why? Because Dev- a friend, poet, lawyer, teacher @Vajiram and Vision, IRS and a tabla maestro says its the next best thing after Madhushala

3. I am waiting for @Partho or @Woodpecker to recommend me one. Please do!
*No good deed goes unpunished*

Comments

• :D @Neyawn sir is back on the forum.. :D (*)

i am not a qualified person to comment about interview, but, if you want to take off your mind from upsc then i will suggest

1. Interesting Times by Eric hobsbawm - this books is a beauty(an autobiography). it paints a very realistic picture of the cold war and russia after stalin.

2. State of the Nation by Fali S Nariman. - fali nariman is well known expert of indian constitution. the books deals with working of constitution and supreme court in a very lucid manner, it explains how the democratic ideas were trampled over time by different people.

3. Burden of Democracy- by pratap bhanu mehta. why..!! read it then you will find out why..!! it is a small book. a petite one. will take roughly 2-3 days to finish it(3-4hrs a day). bhanu mehta as usual is brilliant in his commentary. give it a try i am sure you will not regret it. :)
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • edited December 2013
    @woodpecker for the prompt reply :-)

Will go with No. 3 first . Sounds like an easy read. Anyone has any idea [off topic] when the new episodes of Game of Thrones is coming up? (Was thinking of reading the book instead)
  • @woodpecker for the prompt reply :-)

Will go with No. 3 first . Sounds like an easy read. Anyone has any idea [off topic] when the new episodes of Game of Thrones is coming up? (Was thinking of reading the book instead)
    Game of thrones should be out by mar/apr next year.. :)
    [ CSE-2013 ]
  • The three on my list right now:
    1. The Siege: The Attack on the Taj by Adrian Levy & Cathy Scott-Clark (Recommend their earlier work - The Meadow)
    2. The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton (Booker Prize winner this year)
    3. उदय प्रकाश लिखित 'पीली छतरी वाली लड़की' (मुझे यह किताब दिल्ली में मिल नहीं रही है| अगर किसी को हिंदी किताबों के विक्रेताओं के बारे में पता हो, तो कृपया बताएं| मैं कृतज्ञ रहूँगा|)
    Sharpen your axe, before cutting down the tree...
    1. The Siege: The Attack on the Taj by Adrian Levy & Cathy Scott-Clark (Recommend their earlier work - The Meadow)
    3. उदय प्रकाश लिखित 'पीली छतरी वाली लड़की' (मुझे यह किताब दिल्ली में मिल नहीं रही है| अगर किसी को हिंदी किताबों के विक्रेताओं के बारे में पता हो, तो कृपया बताएं| मैं कृतज्ञ रहूँगा|)
    You can buy the book here http://www.landmarkonthenet.com/peeli-chatari-wali-ladki-by-uday-prakash-books-9788170557548-3764133/
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know." - Sucker Punch
    *********************************************************************************************
    You can buy the book here http://www.landmarkonthenet.com/peeli-chatari-wali-ladki-by-uday-prakash-books-9788170557548-3764133/
    Thanks Daniel, I had already found this. The book is not available with the landmark store in Ambience mall in Gurgaon. Although, I have not been there after the mains.
    Thanks for the help anyways!
  • Oh teri! The thread is for 'interview preparation'... so sorry guys, these are not for interview purpose just to quench my thirst of literature and ideas.
  • @Arpit kashmere gate metro station k pass hindi bookstore hai. you have to have walk for 5-6 min from kashmere gate metro station towards the main market to GGIPU. wahan hindi books ka bhaut bada bookshop hai, wahan mmil jana chahiye. :)
  • @Arpit kashmere gate metro station k pass hindi bookstore hai. you have to have walk for 5-6 min from kashmere gate metro station towards the main market to GGIPU. wahan hindi books ka bhaut bada bookshop hai, wahan mmil jana chahiye. :)
    Thanks man! I was targeting yellow line only today... :)
  • edited December 2013
    @Neyawn @Woodpecker
    i will add two more books...
    1st - wings of fire
    2nd- mean kemf ...
    ( for inspirational purpose..)
    :-))
  • i am new to the forum and already get to know many a popular names in the forum in this last 40 days. can you SURVIVORS please enlight me what is the utility i get from reading these novels or autobiography.
    mera matlab we should concentrate on enhancing the knowledge though on different fields.

is there anything related to personality. please i like to know.

aise bhi i think results will be out sooner comparing with IFS results.
  • @theone Most of us have liked reading books and novels before entering into UPSC fray. Then , because we have to do it with a purpose, we lose interest in reading books.

The good think with reading books here is that whatever you read therein, you remember some of it, because you were not doing it with the purpose of reading for exam purpose.

Any knowledge or information that you have is an extra. All of what you have ever read, and I am sure everyone will agree, comes to use in UPSC, in essay or elsewhere. For example I read a book on Cyber Security, and now I really don't have to ever prepare that topic because I have so many insights on it. I don't remember everything, but I have a pretty good opinion about the status of Cyber security in India and elsewhere.

If you read Philip Mason's book, you will probably never have to worry about Later Moghuls and the advent of British Rule.

Of course, you can only read books when you have time, like now, and not 2 months before the exam. Remember Slyth? He was an avid documentary watcher and told me that it singularly helped him cover a lot of things in GS paper. He had under 60 rank last year. Now into IFS.

I totally understand your point of view too, that during the prep, unless one does not waste a single moment on idle chatter,(or whatever consumes one's time the most) one wouldn't be able to find the time for reading books.
  • edited December 2013
    could someone tell me the top 3 books from this list : 5 books for serious aspirants & bureaucrats
  • 1. The Argumentative Indian, because I read it in a hurry and want to go back to it; 2. Pax Indica,because everyone else seems to have read it ; and some really interesting book on World War 2,if I can find one.
    The horde sees the fish. Arjuna sees the eye.
    I see the possibility of fish pakoras ;)
    fledgling IRS (C&CE)
  • 1. Premchand's Godan- that too in hindi! The book's been lying with me for quite some time now but never had the courage/patience to give a hindi novel a shot. But after preparing for the hindi language paper i'm feeling all pumped up so might as well get to it while th rush lasts. But it's going painfully slow and at this rate it seems book no. 2 and 3 are going to just remain on the list.

2. Machiavelli's The Prince- Another one that's been lying on th bookshelf for quite some time now. Finally time to read it!

3. Pax Indica- because I think Shashi Tharoor's a great novelist/writer :) Or might even go for India After Gandhi.
  • Th
    @theone Most of us have liked reading books and novels before entering into UPSC fray. Then , because we have to do it with a purpose, we lose interest in reading books.

The good think with reading books here is that whatever you read therein, you remember some of it, because you were not doing it with the purpose of reading for exam purpose.

Any knowledge or information that you have is an extra. All of what you have ever read, and I am sure everyone will agree, comes to use in UPSC, in essay or elsewhere. For example I read a book on Cyber Security, and now I really don't have to ever prepare that topic because I have so many insights on it. I don't remember everything, but I have a pretty good opinion about the status of Cyber security in India and elsewhere.

If you read Philip Mason's book, you will probably never have to worry about Later Moghuls and the advent of British Rule.

Of course, you can only read books when you have time, like now, and not 2 months before the exam. Remember Slyth? He was an avid documentary watcher and told me that it singularly helped him cover a lot of things in GS paper. He had under 60 rank last year. Now into IFS.

I totally understand your point of view too, that during the prep, unless one does not waste a single moment on idle chatter,(or whatever consumes one's time the most) one wouldn't be able to find the time for reading books.
    Thankyou dear. Lekin aj tk mein sirf COMICS hi padha hu. . but i like to play COMPUTER HIGH GRAPHICS GAME. THAT TOO HELPED ME IN WORLD HISTORY.
    I GOT YOUR POINT.BUT COULD YOU PLEASE SUGGEST ME A GOOD PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT NOVEL. Ye sab novel wageyra to sayad mein khatam na kr sakun.
    Thanks once again
  • Here are some good books to improve yourself with, over the next few months:
    The Power of Now - Eckart Tolle
    Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else
    What Every Body is Saying - Joe Navarro
    Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman
    7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey
    Thank You, Just had a look at what these books are about, and each one of these seems a gem.
    There is so much beauty scattered in the world only to be just go there and pick up! and World of books has always been amazing.

and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
  • edited December 2013

Thank You, Just had a look at what these books are about, and each one of these seems a gem.
    There is so much beauty scattered in the world only to be just go there and pick up! and World of books has always been amazing.
    No problem. I am endorsing these books because I have read them in the last few months and found them interesting and helpful. You will not be disappointed.
  • edited December 2013
    could someone tell me the top 3 books from this list : 5 books for serious aspirants & bureaucrats

@Stardust @Neyawn @Pink_Floyd and others .. Any suggestions?
  • edited December 2013

2. State of the Nation by Fali S Nariman. - fali nariman is well known expert of indian constitution. the books deals with working of constitution and supreme court in a very lucid manner, it explains how the democratic ideas were trampled over time by different people.
    Have you read this book? If yes, how did you find it? Thanks
    One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
  • edited December 2013
    @pratikh

Dude, I haven't read any of those. So, can't recommend.
  • edited December 2013

Have you read this book? If yes, how did you find it? Thanks

yes sir i have read this book. give it a shot you will not regret it. if a person has slight interest in polity then he/she would love this book.

i love reading different types of books both fiction and non fiction. found it in om book shop delhi(saket)
    found it interesting so ordered from amazon the very same day.

http://www.amazon.in/The-State-Nation-Context-Constitution/dp/9381431868/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386699056&sr=8-1&keywords=state+of+the+nation :D

what type of book are you looking for..??

• what type of book are you looking for..??
    I was looking for a book about judicial overreach. Guess this serves the purpose :) Thanks for the review.

• edited December 2013
    Quite often we come across the 'realpolitic' or so-called real nature of civil services as a job replete with sycophancy, hypocricy, red-tape, doublespeak etc.
    I came across this small book while wandering in Delhi Book Fair alleys.
    'Human in Khaki'/'Khaki me Insan'
    http://www.humaninkhaki.com/
    http://www.flipkart.com/human-in-khaki/p/itmdytphrnh5kyph

In it, an IITian-turned-IPS officer-in-UP recounts few of the cases he worked on in his career. He tries to demonstrate that even in so-called corrupt environment, how a good professionally and personally satisfactory career can be achieved without compromising on one's humanist stand. Though he merely recounts the events and doesn't offer any so-called self-help insights. Still, it would be a great light read.

PS: It would be better to read in its original version in Hindi if one is comfortable with language.
    and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"

• PS: It would be better to read in its original version in Hindi if one is comfortable with language.
    I've ordered the Hindi version on your recommendation (read 'over-zealously' :D). Hope I am able to comprehend it \m/
  • edited December 2013
    I need real good books on film history, criticism and analysis. I wrote watching and analyzing movies as one of my interest.

I have David thomson, Ebert. Any other good writer in the field.

@Woodpecker @Neyawn @Stardust thode books recommend karo
    Mankind was corrupt from the time of Adam & eve, why complain now :) || कांथर हुनु भन्दा मर्नु राम्रो || वीर भोग्या वसुंधरा
  • edited December 2013
    @Thor movies..!! not my genre... :O) sorry sir. can't help anyone in this field. :P
  • I need real good books on film history, criticism and analysis. I wrote watching and analyzing movies as one of my interest.

I have David thomson, Ebert. Any other good writer in the field.

@Woodpecker @Neyawn @Stardust thode books recommend karo
    Go to any oxford book store! They have plenty of those which you can enjoy over a hot coffee!!!
    Ahhh... books and coffe, talk of bliss ~O)
  • Have anyone read any book on atheism?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog