Write the Prelims 7 Times before you write it on June 3
Write Simulator Test 2 at 9AM on April 8. Get Scorecard same day by 9PM. Enroll now ! Do not wait till its too late! Enrollment Links :1) Simulator Tests : 8 GS Tests 2) Simulator Tests : 8 GS + 4 CSAT Tests
Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE Prelim's 18 courses. Click on the below link for details -

(1) Revision of Economy through MCQs and Quizzes           (2) Revision Classes on Indian & World Geography
(3) Fast-Paced Revision Course of Indian Polity                    (4)Most important topics for Modern Indian History
(5) Crash course on Art and Culture                                       (6) Last minute Practice Course to qualify CSAT Paper 2
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now

Advise needed: Prudent to give attempt or not

Hey everyone, I need bit of advise from veterans and experienced people here.

I have been selected in one Bank as a bank probabtionary officer through ibps. Previously I was engaged in manufacturing industry working like a donkey for 14-15 hours in average. I know banks are time demanding stressful job but I have mentally prepared myself to work for long hours and in extreme rural areas. Previous job has also made me to work hard. Also, I come from rural area so living there isn’t an issue. So I am ready to take on India’s most hated job in aspirants circles face on, it is anyday better than being unemployed and continuing in that private.

Here I have opened this thread to need advise wrt civil services attempt as I have no one to guide me through this. I have only 2 attempts left as a general category. I have given mains two times and failed pre two times. My prep is okay wrt static subjects and I need to work on current affairs mostly. But prelims failure and job has kept me away from studies. My question is:

1) Should I give this attempt? I have lost confidence in me due to failures and I am confused. I know it will demand extra efforts. What bothers me is -that training part and probabtion going to effect preparation significantly? Will it be waste of precious attempt only? Or is it possible to prepare while being in probationary job?

2) Suppose I park this attempt until I settle down in job, how much impact does late entry at age 27-28 is there on progression? I always think of reaching till secretary level or top positions and so fear from late entry. Presently i am 26 and will turn 27 soon.

These two things have made me terribly confused. Please guide me.

Comments

• Only give, if your think you can crack or have high probablity of cracking.. Other wise pshycologically 1 extra attempt will add to your failure...

If you can achieve considerable achievement, like writing mains or giving Interview, go for it
  • Only give, if your think you can crack or have high probablity of cracking.. Other wise pshycologically 1 extra attempt will add to your failure...

If you can achieve considerable achievement, like writing mains or giving Interview, go for it

:disappointed: ... idk if i can clear. Though i have been working very hard in job and studies. And this age attempt reduction is also looming near now.

:disappointed: ... idk if i can clear. Though i have been working very hard in job and studies. And this age attempt reduction is also looming near now.
    Then attempt, dont look back.. of course you have life to enjoy and get settle. dont sacrifice for long and work hard, give this two serious consecutive attempts irrespective of result.... and leave this rat race.. I hope u will get positve result this very attempt. 50 days hai kr lo jam k
  • Hey everyone, I need bit of advise from veterans and experienced people here.

I have been selected in one Bank as a bank probabtionary officer through ibps. Previously I was engaged in manufacturing industry working like a donkey for 14-15 hours in average. I know banks are time demanding stressful job but I have mentally prepared myself to work for long hours and in extreme rural areas. Previous job has also made me to work hard. Also, I come from rural area so living there isn’t an issue. So I am ready to take on India’s most hated job in aspirants circles face on, it is anyday better than being unemployed and continuing in that private.

Here I have opened this thread to need advise wrt civil services attempt as I have no one to guide me through this. I have only 2 attempts left as a general category. I have given mains two times and failed pre two times. My prep is okay wrt static subjects and I need to work on current affairs mostly. But prelims failure and job has kept me away from studies. My question is:

1) Should I give this attempt? I have lost confidence in me due to failures and I am confused. I know it will demand extra efforts. What bothers me is -that training part and probabtion going to effect preparation significantly? Will it be waste of precious attempt only? Or is it possible to prepare while being in probationary job?

2) Suppose I park this attempt until I settle down in job, how much impact does late entry at age 27-28 is there on progression? I always think of reaching till secretary level or top positions and so fear from late entry. Presently i am 26 and will turn 27 soon.

1) Abhi zyaada time nahi bacha hai. Aur is saal there is a very tough competition ( actually har saal hi hoti hai woh toh, lekin is saal Vacancies are very few, so much more harder competition this year) . You said you are Done with Static portion and only need to Mug up the Current section. Lekin this will take sometime. And after that you also need to do Revision and that too atleast 4-5 times...... And Frankly speaking, 54 din mein itna sab kuch Ho Nahi payega achhe se.... So choose wisely.

2) Don't worry about reaching the Higher echelons of Administrative services, as 90% of this depends on officer's Political connection and only 10% depends on Officer's Age on entry in Civil services..... So after getting selected in UPSC, try to establish Some Political connections with your Political bosses. DO NOT even think of becoming " Singham Or Khemka Or any other " Idealistic officer, otherwise you will be kicked out.

MP / Minister ki haan mein haan milana....wo jo Bole woh Kar dena.. Aaram se aapko Lucrative and higher posting mil jayegi.
  • Hey everyone, I need bit of advise from veterans and experienced people here.

Forget about late entry, secretary and all those irrelevant things. Irrelevant because no one knows what the policy of promotion and retirement will be in next 20 years. So it's just a waste of time thinking about those things.

Focus on your present, there is a mess, try to solve it.
    Without a doubt, This exam is one of toughest in the country and if not, the most toughest because of the consistency it demands throughout the year.

Static, Current affairs is just the icing on the cake, there's much more required than that to pass this exam and it involves thorough understanding of concepts with ability to analyze things in a dynamic matter + revision, ability to remember lot of things for a long time, patience, consistency, and the list is long.

Please do not give your ears to all the talks about the vacancies being reduced. It's not in your hand, focus on what's in your hand and that's your preparation. 2 attempts will get exhausted in the blink of an eye. Do not waste your attempts they are precious. Instead, solve your present issue. First, settle your life. Complete your probation for two years(Assuming). Along with that, try to give 2 to 3 hours everyday and 5 to 6 hours on weekends for the next two years. Prepare nicely and then take a decision to attempt this exam.

Please do not think about quitting or preparing full time during your probation. You will only worsen your situation. You'll become na ghar ka na ghat ka. You have a good job, enjoy it and also prepare peacefully for this exam.

Take CSE as a long term mission, it's irrelevant at what age you get into services, what matters is that you get into services for sure. Sow consistency, dedication, determination and patience, You will reap great rewards during harvest.

Respect this exam, prepare like a warrior and you'll one day earn respect from everyone.

All the best!!
  • I am actually ashamed of myself for even thinking this: "let's talk this fellow into not taking the exam so that I do not have to fight one more candidate"!

• 1) Should I give this attempt? I have lost confidence in me due to failures and I am confused. I know it will demand extra efforts. What bothers me is -that training part and probabtion going to effect preparation significantly? Will it be waste of precious attempt only? Or is it possible to prepare while being in probationary job?

Hi, I'm an ex SBI PO, and I fairly can understand your situation. Yes, probation period will definitely affect your preparation. There's in fact no time to devote during probation. There would be classroom learning, boring seminars, even more boring movie screenings (for motivation, I dont know why :-o) presentations, multiple branch postings and yada yada. At the end of the training, you'd have this confirmation examinations.

My suggestion would be: Forget UPSC for the time being. Get along with your PO job, enjoy it and once training is done,try to get a non-hectic profile like 'personal management' which mainly deals with account opening, debit/credit cards etc. Advances section (read Loan Section) looks less crowded but this section will eat up most of your brain. Account opening etc looks crowded but once that crowd is gone, you are peace for rest of the 24 hours. Do this drama for few days and disappear from the scene. Dont you worry about your job. It would be there. And dont even think that bank would come in search of you. They dont care, so should you? :-D Erm, also make sure that you appear less smart to your boss so that you can escape his attention.

Most of the things in bank can be managed, and for the unmanageable parts, there's medical certificate. (~_^)
  • pizzza said:

Please do not give your ears to all the talks about the vacancies being reduced. It's not in your hand, focus on what's in your hand and that's your preparation. 2 attempts will get exhausted in the blink of an eye. Do not waste your attempts they are precious. Instead, solve your present issue. First, settle your life. Complete your probation for two years(Assuming). Along with that, try to give 2 to 3 hours everyday and 5 to 6 hours on weekends for the next two years. Prepare nicely and then take a decision to attempt this exam.

Please do not think about quitting or preparing full time during your probation. You will only worsen your situation. You'll become na ghar ka na ghat ka. You have a good job, enjoy it and also prepare peacefully for this exam.

Take CSE as a long term mission, it's irrelevant at what age you get into services, what matters is that you get into services for sure. Sow consistency, dedication, determination and patience, You will reap great rewards during harvest.

Respect this exam, prepare like a warrior and you'll one day earn respect from everyone.

All the best!!

+1. Pearls of wisdom there. @4Ginternet.
  • On the contrary i will advise you to get out of bank job during orobation only. Once confirmed all new lide starts. It will be very difficult to study after confirmation. 3 yrs of exp and struggling along with others
  • I am actually ashamed of myself for even thinking this: "let's talk this fellow into not taking the exam so that I do not have to fight one more candidate"!

Don’t think anyone is trying to do that here.

Don’t think anyone is trying to do that here.
    I was talking about myself dear! :)
  • Ultimately its up to you. However I say stick to option 2 for now. You are mentally exhausted. There is no point trying to do everything at once. Dont worry regarding the reduced age thing. That is quite unlikely and will be done with some flexible window. Focus on settling ino 1 thing now. If you still feel keen on civils by the end of this year, start again with full energy rather than half-hearted effort now with only 2 attempts left. In the process of trying to do both, you will make a hotch potch instead.
  • Thank you all of you for your valuable advises. This is true I am exhausted mentally due to lot of exams and job together. My parents are also saying not to give and take a break.

To qualify, only one attempt is sufficient. I think, i will skip it and meanwhile will keep revising after job hours. I only need revision now. May be i will give state pcs to remain in continuity. It has no attempt issues and i have huge margin wrt age limit.

It’s better one year late then to be never.
  • dpagarwal said:

On the contrary i will advise you to get out of bank job during orobation only. Once confirmed all new lide starts. It will be very difficult to study after confirmation. 3 yrs of exp and struggling along with others

Were you in bank too?
  • Wakaao said:

Hi, I'm an ex SBI PO, and I fairly can understand your situation. Yes, probation period will definitely affect your preparation. There's in fact no time to devote during probation. There would be classroom learning, boring seminars, even more boring movie screenings (for motivation, I dont know why :-o) presentations, multiple branch postings and yada yada. At the end of the training, you'd have this confirmation examinations.

My suggestion would be: Forget UPSC for the time being. Get along with your PO job, enjoy it and once training is done,try to get a non-hectic profile like 'personal management' which mainly deals with account opening, debit/credit cards etc. Advances section (read Loan Section) looks less crowded but this section will eat up most of your brain. Account opening etc looks crowded but once that crowd is gone, you are peace for rest of the 24 hours. Do this drama for few days and disappear from the scene. Dont you worry about your job. It would be there. And dont even think that bank would come in search of you. They dont care, so should you? :-D Erm, also make sure that you appear less smart to your boss so that you can escape his attention.

Most of the things in bank can be managed, and for the unmanageable parts, there's medical certificate. (~_^)
    Is it possible to get profile as per choice?
  • @pizzaa @Wakaao sir, why there is so much negativity around this job ? initially i thought it will be good but then started feeling low after reading on internet about it. I really cannot understand why 2+ millions people sit for it and do coaching and all when after getting they abuse it. I felt happy that someone in forum called it good. I have worked in most gruesome and horrible industrial places where temp inside is 50 degrees due to steam processes and you have to walk around for whole days coupled with weekly change in shifts disrupting my circadian rhythm. And with huge pressure of meeting production targets else face salary cut. Will it be challenging more than this?
  • @pizzaa @Wakaao sir, why there is so much negativity around this job ? initially i thought it will be good but then started feeling low after reading on internet about it. I really cannot understand why 2+ millions people sit for it and do coaching and all when after getting they abuse it. I felt happy that someone in forum called it good. I have worked in most gruesome and horrible industrial places where temp inside is 50 degrees due to steam processes and you have to walk around for whole days coupled with weekly change in shifts disrupting my circadian rhythm. And with huge pressure of meeting production targets else face salary cut. Will it be challenging more than this?

The negativity associated with this job is mostly because most people consider sbi or any other banking job as an intermediate / temporary job until they secure a better job or career like civil services etc. They do not find much time to prepare for other things and hence the whole process in the job seems frustrating.

The job is actually good for those who like a decent stable salary, the work will be a little hectic but it's definitely not as hectic as some of the engineering jobs. There will be some target pressures but then such pressures exist in every good job. You'll be in a A/C cabin with your own workspace and most employees in the office will respect you. It's a good job honestly.

This is precisely why i suggested you to enjoy your probation period and to give your cse attempt later. It will not make you feel frustrated and you'll feel life at ease.

1. There's negativity in this job because, well, honestly I dont know. But please be warned, the job is not going to be all easy. The job profile would be hectic, but then not as pathetic as the one where you have been before. :-) There wont be salary cuts for not meeting the targets, atleast not in SBI and I believe not in other banks too. Else, there's Officers' Union to deal with that kind of situation. Communism is alive. (~_^)

When I'd joined newly, there was this assistant (clerical cadre) who would open 5/6 accounts per week whereas the boss wanted him to open atleast 10 per day because of the demand. He was an old man and was not used to computer (CBS). There were backlogs. I opened 113 account the first day itself. It's not tough. You got to make entries a bit fast. That old man never had any salary cuts for not meeting the targets, you see. :-)

2. In your situation, I'd never advise you to leave the job. You are 26 and well, just slog in the bank for maybe 2 or 2&1/2 years, take leave like I have said and then, give your best shot at the UPSC [In bank, you will get lots of innovative ideas to bunk :-D]. I left SBI not because of any of the negativity around it. I had other job offer, which too for some reasons I had to leave, to settle with a less paying job at home. :-)

3. Many POs, including your to-be-colleagues, would be a frustrated lot because most consider bank as a stepping stone to higher goals. And being in bank, it would be tough. Just too tough to realise one's goal. And, that's when this disappearing act comes handy. Confirm your position in the bank first, and then disappear.

A 2-batch senior to mine did the same. He was on leave without pay for most period in the bank. He did not get those IAS/IFS/IPS but is an IAAS now. He was out of sight for most time of the year. Even while in bank, I had never seen him coming out from his chamber (He was manning net banking section) and used to carry mostly grumpy face. Maybe, that was his strategy. :-D

4. Just join the bank without any expectations, treat it as another job for your security. Leave it only if you have an alternative, else please dont. :-)

• Wakaao said:

No, but you can always pitch, right? :-)
  • Wakaao said:

@pizzaa @Wakaao sir, why there is so much negativity around this job ? initially i thought it will be good but then started feeling low after reading on internet about it. I really cannot understand why 2+ millions people sit for it and do coaching and all when after getting they abuse it. I felt happy that someone in forum called it good. I have worked in most gruesome and horrible industrial places where temp inside is 50 degrees due to steam processes and you have to walk around for whole days coupled with weekly change in shifts disrupting my circadian rhythm. And with huge pressure of meeting production targets else face salary cut. Will it be challenging more than this?

1. There's negativity in this job because, well, honestly I dont know. But please be warned, the job is not going to be all easy. The job profile would be hectic, but then not as pathetic as the one where you have been before. :-) There wont be salary cuts for not meeting the targets, atleast not in SBI and I believe not in other banks too. Else, there's Officers' Union to deal with that kind of situation. Communism is alive. (~_^)

When I'd joined newly, there was this assistant (clerical cadre) who would open 5/6 accounts per week whereas the boss wanted him to open atleast 10 per day because of the demand. He was an old man and was not used to computer (CBS). There were backlogs. I opened 113 account the first day itself. It's not tough. You got to make entries a bit fast. That old man never had any salary cuts for not meeting the targets, you see. :-)

2. In your situation, I'd never advise you to leave the job. You are 26 and well, just slog in the bank for maybe 2 or 2&1/2 years, take leave like I have said and then, give your best shot at the UPSC [In bank, you will get lots of innovative ideas to bunk :-D]. I left SBI not because of any of the negativity around it. I had other job offer, which too for some reasons I had to leave, to settle with a less paying job at home. :-)

3. Many POs, including your to-be-colleagues, would be a frustrated lot because most consider bank as a stepping stone to higher goals. And being in bank, it would be tough. Just too tough to realise one's goal. And, that's when this disappearing act comes handy. Confirm your position in the bank first, and then disappear.

A 2-batch senior to mine did the same. He was on leave without pay for most period in the bank. He did not get those IAS/IFS/IPS but is an IAAS now. He was out of sight for most time of the year. Even while in bank, I had never seen him coming out from his chamber (He was manning net banking section) and used to carry mostly grumpy face. Maybe, that was his strategy. :-D

4. Just join the bank without any expectations, treat it as another job for your security. Leave it only if you have an alternative, else please dont. :-)

Thank you Wakaao for this clear picture in such nice words. I am very much relieved now. It was very scary before on back of my mind. Point 2 is extremely true. In whats app group of joinee bank people have given ibps exam 3-4 times and then have got the job but still crying and saying job is worst job, shitty etc. I wonder why to give exam when you have to cry! Mostly people have not civil services as goal rather Rbi assistant or grade B or cgl or Lic AO as they provide vicinity to home, no rural postings and relaxed working hours. They call them as best job of India but then choices differs for everyone.
    As you and @pizzaa sir said, I am not going to leave this job come what may. It is very easy to leave job but extremely tough to get back in today’s time when unemployment has reached sky high and vacancies everywhere are shrinking fast. I have seen a brief stint of unemployment and it is very painful. With 4-5 hours of sleep, I can take out 3-4 hours every day and that is sufficient wrt reading newspaper, revising optional/gs. Tests can be taken on Sundays. Biggest leverage is I have to revise things mostly and not study anything new.
  • Wakaao said:

Wakaao said:

No, but you can always pitch, right? :-)
    Yes always ;)
  • pizzza said:

@pizzaa @Wakaao sir, why there is so much negativity around this job ? initially i thought it will be good but then started feeling low after reading on internet about it. I really cannot understand why 2+ millions people sit for it and do coaching and all when after getting they abuse it. I felt happy that someone in forum called it good. I have worked in most gruesome and horrible industrial places where temp inside is 50 degrees due to steam processes and you have to walk around for whole days coupled with weekly change in shifts disrupting my circadian rhythm. And with huge pressure of meeting production targets else face salary cut. Will it be challenging more than this?

The negativity associated with this job is mostly because most people consider sbi or any other banking job as an intermediate / temporary job until they secure a better job or career like civil services etc. They do not find much time to prepare for other things and hence the whole process in the job seems frustrating.

The job is actually good for those who like a decent stable salary, the work will be a little hectic but it's definitely not as hectic as some of the engineering jobs. There will be some target pressures but then such pressures exist in every good job. You'll be in a A/C cabin with your own workspace and most employees in the office will respect you. It's a good job honestly.

This is precisely why i suggested you to enjoy your probation period and to give your cse attempt later. It will not make you feel frustrated and you'll feel life at ease.
    Thank you @pizzaa sir :smile:
  • Wakaao said:

Thank you Wakaao for this clear picture in such nice words. I am very much relieved now. It was very scary before on back of my mind. Point 2 is extremely true. In whats app group of joinee bank people have given ibps exam 3-4 times and then have got the job but still crying and saying job is worst job, shitty etc. I wonder why to give exam when you have to cry! Mostly people have not civil services as goal rather Rbi assistant or grade B or cgl or Lic AO as they provide vicinity to home, no rural postings and relaxed working hours. They call them as best job of India but then choices differs for everyone.
    As you and @pizzaa sir said, I am not going to leave this job come what may. It is very easy to leave job but extremely tough to get back in today’s time when unemployment has reached sky high and vacancies everywhere are shrinking fast. I have seen a brief stint of unemployment and it is very painful. With 4-5 hours of sleep, I can take out 3-4 hours every day and that is sufficient wrt reading newspaper, revising optional/gs. Tests can be taken on Sundays. Biggest leverage is I have to revise things mostly and not study anything new.
    Holidays are only on paper in bank. You are required to come even on Sundays if there is pending work and even on week days, job timings will be 9 to 10 PM normally. Of course if you are lucky you may get a branch which has less pressure and your BM is also supportive. But that will be rare. This is a reality in banking sector. Stress is so much that time and again you'll hear news of officers taking their lives. It depends upon how you take stress.

Be wise and try to stay below radar and never show off of your skills. More skills=more work=more pressure.
  • edited April 8
    Have you prepared full time for cSe for about 2 years.If yes you can qualify this exam in near future,provided u give 3-4 daily during lean period n 8-12 hrs during exam season. Or else it's difficult particularly for ur category :smile:
  • edited April 8
    Which bank have you been selected for? I have been allotted Allahabad bank through IBPS this year. Still in a dilemma about appearing for CSE. This would be my 4th attempt at CSE. Maybe I should take a break and focus on RBI Grade B this year. And I am planning to join because the frustration of studying along with a full time job is definitely lesser than the frustration of being unemployed till 26.
  • dpagarwal said:

On the contrary i will advise you to get out of bank job during orobation only. Once confirmed all new lide starts. It will be very difficult to study after confirmation. 3 yrs of exp and struggling along with others

Were you in bank too?
    Bhai i am in bank at present
  • Ciesco said:

Have you prepared full time for cSe for about 2 years.If yes you can qualify this exam in near future,provided u give 3-4 daily during lean period n 8-12 hrs during exam season. Or else it's difficult particularly for ur category :smile:

I have prepared full time for 18 months. I have my notes of all subjects in gs and optional. There is nothing new as such that I have to read for exam except CA. Dekhte hai kya hota hai.
  • viktor said:

Wakaao said:

Holidays are only on paper in bank. You are required to come even on Sundays if there is pending work and even on week days, job timings will be 9 to 10 PM normally. Of course if you are lucky you may get a branch which has less pressure and your BM is also supportive. But that will be rare. This is a reality in banking sector. Stress is so much that time and again you'll hear news of officers taking their lives. It depends upon how you take stress.

Be wise and try to stay below radar and never show off of your skills. More skills=more work=more pressure.
    Yeh toh extreme case bata diya apne. Sad that condition has become such in banks. Govt must do some thing. As far I am concerned, ab bhai itna kamjor toh nhi hai ki tyari nahi kar pa rha ya pressure nahi cope up kar paa rha toh suicide kar lun job pressure se. Jyada se jyada fail ho jaunga or civil servant nhi ban paunga. Life is precious than any exam or job. Nahi ban paaya toh Uske bad bhi options hai mere pass kuch acha karne ka life mein.

I will keep your advise of not showing off skils. Bewakoof ban ke rahunga poora.
  • dpagarwal said:

dpagarwal said:

Were you in bank too?
    Bhai i am in bank at present
    :tired_face:
  • Which bank have you been selected for? I have been allotted Allahabad bank through IBPS this year. Still in a dilemma about appearing for CSE. This would be my 4th attempt at CSE. Maybe I should take a break and focus on RBI Grade B this year. And I am planning to join because the frustration of studying along with a full time job is definitely lesser than the frustration of being unemployed till 26.

Bro join it. Having a platform is always better than having nothing.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog