Write the Prelims 7 Times before you write it on June 3
Write Simulator Test 2 at 9AM on April 8. Get Scorecard same day by 9PM. Enroll now ! Do not wait till its too late! Enrollment Links :1) Simulator Tests : 8 GS Tests 2) Simulator Tests : 8 GS + 4 CSAT Tests
Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE Prelim's 18 courses. Click on the below link for details -

(1) Revision of Economy through MCQs and Quizzes           (2) Revision Classes on Indian & World Geography
(3) Fast-Paced Revision Course of Indian Polity                    (4)Most important topics for Modern Indian History
(5) Crash course on Art and Culture                                       (6) Last minute Practice Course to qualify CSAT Paper 2
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now

Why Failed?

Analyze and Share here why you failed in the IAS exam?

Comments

• I wish I could have contributed here but the ordeal started since 2006 and continued in different stages of various exams. From jee to upsc.
    The irony is I m running out of time and with a job in private sector I don't have luxury to sit back and regret, get depressed or infect analyze.
    Yes, when ever a negative result appears it makes me fell insignificant, inefficient in this world of survival for fittest.
    But then time crunch and examination calender keeps me going after at Max 5 days. So, focus shifts from y I failed in this exam to how to crack the next one :smile:
  • Cg_Hawk28 said:

I wish I could have contributed here but the ordeal started since 2006 and continued in different stages of various exams. From jee to upsc.
    The irony is I m running out of time and with a job in private sector I don't have luxury to sit back and regret, get depressed or infect analyze.
    Yes, when ever a negative result appears it makes me fell insignificant, inefficient in this world of survival for fittest.
    But then time crunch and examination calender keeps me going after at Max 5 days. So, focus shifts from y I failed in this exam to how to crack the next one :smile:

yes buddy good to know about your dedication. I am trying to know the reason what is the main cause of failure in UPSC CSE? Is it unseriousness or lack of resources(includes time) or something else?
  • I have seen two types of people cracking it easily one having all resources, senior supports, brilliant education n family background n good peers.
    The other jinke g*nd me aag lagi ho ki jubtak fodenge nahi tabtak chodenge nahi.
    Mediocre like me who keeps other options ready n feel satisfied there will obviously take more time :smile:
  • Cg_Hawk28 said:

I have seen two types of people cracking it easily one having all resources, senior supports, brilliant education n family background n good peers.
    The other jinke g*nd me aag lagi ho ki jubtak fodenge nahi tabtak chodenge nahi.
    Mediocre like me who keeps other options ready n feel satisfied there will obviously take more time :smile:

ok Got It. Point to be noted that back up plan can harm sometimes.
  • Suraj95 said:

Cg_Hawk28 said:

I have seen two types of people cracking it easily one having all resources, senior supports, brilliant education n family background n good peers.

I am not sure what you really meant or understood by "back up plan can harm sometimes" but i felt compelled to respond to this post. Why? Because it reminded me of my mindset when I started this journey. Single-minded focus is the key to success in life is what I believed. And it had helped me previously. But after almost 3 years of single minded focus, I can only say that get a backup after your first serious attempt. At least fill other forms and appear for other exams. I had people telling me this but I did not pay heed. I now realize that if nothing else, clearing some exams here and there can at least give your morale a boost. And some source of income too.
    About the causes of failure: Lack of revision is the most commonly cited reason. But revision is only a necessary condition for success, not sufficient. Every year nearly 50,000 serious aspirants appear for the exam. Finally less than 1000 succeed. So there are definitely many many ways and reasons to fail. Statistically, you will be better off looking at the success stories. They are easily available too :) But remember to take everything with a pinch of salt. Including advice given in this thread :)
  • My reasons of failure

1) excessive daru-party culture while in UPSC.
    2) becoming most active only before 2 months pre and after pre result ( while the key is i believe u should be active for complete year: 12 hrs a day w/o waste even after failure )
    3) inappropriate planning and giving attempt w/o a think ( the point is not that u will waste ur attempt but the nature of the exam will make u psychologically weak )
    4) giving attempt w/o sound preparation of optional.
    5) not making notes.
  • edited March 29
    My failure in 2017...

1) reading newspaper throughout the year, but not kept tab on magazine and rushed to 365 last month( I was working left 3 months b4 prelims)
    2) Not knowing syllabus properly and concentration on most syllabus and neglecting SOME imp topics( expert in world geography, dabba in physical)
    3) Overconfidence
    4) Unexpected unconventional paper destroyed my strategy on spot and few questions left in 2nd round.

tip: do core syllabus properly and 1 magazine religiously, untne me ho jayega... dont forget year book ,ecosurvey and budget..
  • Reason of me having been an extraordinary failure in the journey of UPSC -

" Buri Kismat "
  • Success has many fathers failure is an orphan :smile:
  • My reason-
    Always on border line in prelims. But when result came, more than a month already wasted. Always missed the mains cut off by very narrow margin. Perhaps I should secure pre by good marks and then focus on mains from the very beginning.
  • Was very good with current affairs.. Thanks to daily quiz.
    I hated basics as I felt it is boring. This led to my failure in two prelims.
    Basics rat dalo.. Notes bana ke. Warna exam me 100-102 ajyege but not more than that
  • For me *lack of extensive writing practice*... nothing else
  • I had 140 in prelims last year...my tip for u people is never loose marks in the basics...history,geo,polity,basic environment and basic economics....u people should be bang on here...
  • Bronn said:

Suraj95 said:

Cg_Hawk28 said:

I am not sure what you really meant or understood by "back up plan can harm sometimes" but i felt compelled to respond to this post. Why? Because it reminded me of my mindset when I started this journey. Single-minded focus is the key to success in life is what I believed. And it had helped me previously. But after almost 3 years of single minded focus, I can only say that get a backup after your first serious attempt. At least fill other forms and appear for other exams. I had people telling me this but I did not pay heed. I now realize that if nothing else, clearing some exams here and there can at least give your morale a boost. And some source of income too.
    About the causes of failure: Lack of revision is the most commonly cited reason. But revision is only a necessary condition for success, not sufficient. Every year nearly 50,000 serious aspirants appear for the exam. Finally less than 1000 succeed. So there are definitely many many ways and reasons to fail. Statistically, you will be better off looking at the success stories. They are easily available too :) But remember to take everything with a pinch of salt. Including advice given in this thread :)
    Lack of revision Point taken, Serious focus done but still not succeeded then there must be other reasons too. Analyze friend for sake of all. Thank you and all the best
  • kpg said:

My reasons of failure

1) excessive daru-party culture while in UPSC.
    2) becoming most active only before 2 months pre and after pre result ( while the key is i believe u should be active for complete year: 12 hrs a day w/o waste even after failure )
    3) inappropriate planning and giving attempt w/o a think ( the point is not that u will waste ur attempt but the nature of the exam will make u psychologically weak )
    4) giving attempt w/o sound preparation of optional.
    5) not making notes.

daru party culture does more harm
    but what do you mean by inappropriate planning here what I understood is that you planned, executed but did not succeed thus you consider your plan as unsuccessful. or there is different thing
  • By inappropriate planning I mean focussing excessively on irrelevant topics while at the same time optional is uncovered. I personally believe after failing that the first thing u should cover is your optional everything should be next and if you have not done ur optional atleast 80 % u should not give attempt just for clearing prelims or seeking 'experience' of UPSC.
    #personal views
  • kpg said:

By inappropriate planning I mean focussing excessively on irrelevant topics while at the same time optional is uncovered. I personally believe after failing that the first thing u should cover is your optional everything should be next and if you have not done ur optional atleast 80 % u should not give attempt just for clearing prelims or seeking 'experience' of UPSC.
    #personal views

I have started for UPSC 2019 just one month before. Only thing I fear is whether UPSC will remove optional in 2019 as I am preparing mathematics.
  • Suraj95 said:

kpg said:

By inappropriate planning I mean focussing excessively on irrelevant topics while at the same time optional is uncovered. I personally believe after failing that the first thing u should cover is your optional everything should be next and if you have not done ur optional atleast 80 % u should not give attempt just for clearing prelims or seeking 'experience' of UPSC.
    #personal views

I have started for UPSC 2019 just one month before. Only thing I fear is whether UPSC will remove optional in 2019 as I am preparing mathematics.
    These 'fear' I m hearing from 2014 UPSC is not going to remove optional and don't pay heed to these type of rumours focus on your optional
  • Suraj95 said:

Bronn said:

Suraj95 said:

Cg_Hawk28 said:

Lack of revision Point taken, Serious focus done but still not succeeded then there must be other reasons too. Analyze friend for sake of all. Thank you and all the best
    I can talk about my mistakes from first attempt- I knew those even before the results came. This time I corrected those shortcomings. So am clueless what went wrong. Anyhow, here are my mistakes from previous attempt:
    1. Not WRITING previous year answer for optional. Glancing through the questions and thinking answers in mind does not count.
    2. Lack of revision. Minimum requirement is 3 for GS and 4 for optional. This will help in writing answers quickly.For this, crisp notes are necessary and have to be made, updated and consolidated round the year.
    3. Writing only what is asked in GS. This advice is true for the parts and sub-parts. But that does not mean the content has to be limited in dimensions. I could not understand earlier how can one 'Stick to the point and not bluff' and also 'be creative.' This time I practiced lot of answer writing in mocks by forcing myself to think and link to many dimensions. This sounds easy but is not easy to put in practice for everyone. So, I felt I wrote more diverse answers this time. But even this has not helped me in mains so maybe I went overboard :neutral:

In addition to these, I will add that after my latest attempt I have come to believe that there is something inherent in most successful candidates- good writing skills. At some point in my life I believed I had it but now I am not even sure about what it is.

These are purely personal. One has to do self-analysis and take help from coaching/seniors in evaluation.And play on your strengths. To each his own. And people might agree or disagree but LUCK does play a role in CSE. All the best :)
  • Bronn said:

Suraj95 said:

Bronn said:

Suraj95 said:

Cg_Hawk28 said:

I can talk about my mistakes from first attempt- I knew those even before the results came. This time I corrected those shortcomings. So am clueless what went wrong. Anyhow, here are my mistakes from previous attempt:
    1. Not WRITING previous year answer for optional. Glancing through the questions and thinking answers in mind does not count.
    2. Lack of revision. Minimum requirement is 3 for GS and 4 for optional. This will help in writing answers quickly.For this, crisp notes are necessary and have to be made, updated and consolidated round the year.
    3. Writing only what is asked in GS. This advice is true for the parts and sub-parts. But that does not mean the content has to be limited in dimensions. I could not understand earlier how can one 'Stick to the point and not bluff' and also 'be creative.' This time I practiced lot of answer writing in mocks by forcing myself to think and link to many dimensions. This sounds easy but is not easy to put in practice for everyone. So, I felt I wrote more diverse answers this time. But even this has not helped me in mains so maybe I went overboard :neutral:

In addition to these, I will add that after my latest attempt I have come to believe that there is something inherent in most successful candidates- good writing skills. At some point in my life I believed I had it but now I am not even sure about what it is.

These are purely personal. One has to do self-analysis and take help from coaching/seniors in evaluation.And play on your strengths. To each his own. And people might agree or disagree but LUCK does play a role in CSE. All the best :)
    Can u please elaborate on point 3 with example if possible ?
  • Amazing thread.Extremely helpful articles. This exam is all about figuring out our areas of improvement, and consistently improving.

A humble suggestion @Suraj95

Kindly edit the Subject of this thread to make it more relevant. I am sure more people will pitch in with their inputs!
    Everything UPSC Sociology: https://reliableandvalid.wordpress.com
    Telegram channel (Sociology) : https://t.me/sociology_upsc
  • I request @root @Neyawn Sir to kindly consider pinning this thread!
    Everything UPSC Sociology: https://reliableandvalid.wordpress.com
    Telegram channel (Sociology) : https://t.me/sociology_upsc
  • Bronn said:

Suraj95 said:

Bronn said:

Suraj95 said:

Cg_Hawk28 said:

Have sent you PM. Please reply.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Suraj - There is no perfect road to cracking UPSC. You will make mistakes despite all the advice. Learn from them and move on.

Dont let the exam turn you into an intellectual zombie. Try to manage the world of stress that awaits.
  • i fail because of
    1- not force my self to read atleast basic books (sfg is helping to understand what was needed), recently i have
    discovered how much my mind is aversive of reading hardcopy of book (solving the issue).
    2- no true guidance available till early 2017.
    3-unable to realize and accept the important of : sticking to basics.
    4-making my hands overly full , and distracted me to actually concentrate on one and most imp. stuff.
    5-health issues.
    6-etc.
  • Greenland said:

Suraj - There is no perfect road to cracking UPSC. You will make mistakes despite all the advice. Learn from them and move on.

Dont let the exam turn you into an intellectual zombie. Try to manage the world of stress that awaits.

It will be good to learn from others mistakes than to travel the same road hard way
  • DNA said:

I request @root @Neyawn Sir to kindly consider pinning this thread!

Well It is most required thread
  • DNA said:

Amazing thread.Extremely helpful articles. This exam is all about figuring out our areas of improvement, and consistently improving.

A humble suggestion @Suraj95

Kindly edit the Subject of this thread to make it more relevant. I am sure more people will pitch in with their inputs!

What should be the subject according to you? Please suggest
  • Suraj95 said:

Greenland said:

Suraj - There is no perfect road to cracking UPSC. You will make mistakes despite all the advice. Learn from them and move on.

It will be good to learn from others mistakes than to travel the same road hard way
    +1
    one should avoid reinventing wheel on regular basis.
  • i fail because of
    1- not force my self to read atleast basic books (sfg is helping to understand what was needed), recently i have
    discovered how much my mind is aversive of reading hardcopy of book (solving the issue).
    2- no true guidance available till early 2017.
    3-unable to realize and accept the important of : sticking to basics.
    4-making my hands overly full , and distracted me to actually concentrate on one and most imp. stuff.
    5-health issues.
    6-etc.

Sorry to hear you had health issues, Its good you gazed on your weakness and now moving with good guidelines. All the best
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog