How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class

Doubt clearing thread for prelims: All subjects/issues

Hello, since I had a couple of doubts and didn't find any dedicated thread for discussion, thought of creating this one. Fire away your queries and get some answers from the peer network :)

Comments

• " Cabinet approves proposal to introduce the Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill 2017! "

I might be missing something very basic here and am being too lazy to reopen Laxmi, but is cabinet approval really needed for first drafts to be introduced? All i remember is how in some cases president's permission is required while that of the speaker is needed for private member's bill?
  • good thread. surprising, it was not there before
  • fcckfk said:

good thread. surprising, it was not there before

Yeah, I remember there being some good discussions every other year, but not this time. Not too far away from prelims again now, can't afford a mess up
  • Hello, since I had a couple of doubts and didn't find any dedicated thread for discussion, thought of creating this one. Fire away your queries and get some answers from the peer network :)

GREAT !! one dedicated thread for one subject will be better... prelims has broadly 7 subjects/sections.
  • edited March 14
    Some Issues here in Forum
    First of all mostly you won't get ur doubts cleared or someone without adequate knowledge may ans that u cannot rely.

But many people interested with different subjects are there.

Try to get subject specific volunteers who are willing to ans doubts and confident of giving fairly accurate information.
    Subjects may be their own interest or optional background or graduation etc.

Anyone posting doubt can tag the persons who are interested in that subject. Otherwise it ll go unanswered mostly or get random thoughts!

Eg art and culture.
    Not everyone can clear concepts etc.
    Someone who are well versed with that can do it convincingly.
    Hunt alone
  • " Cabinet approves proposal to introduce the Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill 2017! "

I might be missing something very basic here and am being too lazy to reopen Laxmi, but is cabinet approval really needed for first drafts to be introduced? All i remember is how in some cases president's permission is required while that of the speaker is needed for private member's bill?

http://www.mpa.gov.in/mpa/Manual/Manual_English/Chapter/chapter-09.htm

Refer 9.5 and 9.6.
    The End Is the Beginning Is the End

Refer 9.5 and 9.6.
    Thanks man! This is good stuff. Take a cookie!

Refer 9.5 and 9.6.
    Thanks man! This is good stuff. Take a cookie!
    +1
  • Lone Wolf said:

Some Issues here in Forum
    First of all mostly you won't get ur doubts cleared or someone without adequate knowledge may ans that u cannot rely.

But many people interested with different subjects are there.

Try to get subject specific volunteers who are willing to ans doubts and confident of giving fairly accurate information.
    Subjects may be their own interest or optional background or graduation etc.

Anyone posting doubt can tag the persons who are interested in that subject. Otherwise it ll go unanswered mostly or get random thoughts!

Eg art and culture.
    Not everyone can clear concepts etc.
    Someone who are well versed with that can do it convincingly.

One can always ask for sources of answer/ cross question the given line of reasoning.

Refer 9.5 and 9.6.
    Thanks for this. Is this procedure applicable for private members bill too? Do private members bill get cabinet nod before introduced in legislation?
  • Naveen_BT said:

" Cabinet approves proposal to introduce the Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill 2017! "

Refer 9.5 and 9.6.
    Thanks for this. Is this procedure applicable for private members bill too? Do private members bill get cabinet nod before introduced in legislation?
    http://rajyasabha.nic.in/rsnew/publication_electronic/pm_legislation2013.pdf

Hope it helps
  • you can also refer here for easy explanation of legislation process in parliament:https://www.ndfacademy.com/indian-polity
  • Naveen_BT said:

" Cabinet approves proposal to introduce the Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill 2017! "

Refer 9.5 and 9.6.

Hope it helps
    Thanks again.

Just for others,

"...but there is a Committee on Private Members' Bills
    and Resolutions which inter-alia allots time to Private Members' Bills,
    examines Private Member’s Bill seeking to amend the Constitution before
    their introduction; and examines all Private Members' Bills after they are
    introduced and before they are taken up for consideration in the House and
    classifies them according to their nature, urgency and importance.."
  • what is the type of unemployment due to low skill ?
  • lalalash said:

what is the type of unemployment due to low skill ?

becoz open employment has educated unemployment ( where the unemployment is from his side ..since he thinks that job is lower than his std ) + laborer unemployment ( rural to urban migration )
  • lalalash said:

lalalash said:

that shud be part of structural unemployment acc. to me since workers are not skilled enough according to the need to the structure of the economy......

• edited March 16

I think you are taking cabinet as an entity separate from government. Thats what is confusing you. Cabinet is composed of all ministers representing their ministers and a legislation on an issue represents the policy-view and stand of the government over it and their has to be a consensus within it since it's a boat in which everyone swims and sinks together. Anyone dissenting can either resign or be removed by the PM.

that permission of president and speaker is of latter case when the bill has to be introduced in the parliament depending upon the case as it might be.

This is what i know, feel free to correct me.

@DonQuixote

• kouta said:

lalalash said:

lalalash said:

that shud be part of structural unemployment acc. to me since workers are not skilled enough according to the need to the structure of the economy......
    But structural definition says if change in technology .... Here I am talking about poor supply side of unskilled labour that is occurring becoz of education etc ..... Where technology did not change much.
  • Naveen_BT said:

Naveen_BT said:

Refer 9.5 and 9.6.

Hope it helps
    Thanks again.

Just for others,

"...but there is a Committee on Private Members' Bills
    and Resolutions which inter-alia allots time to Private Members' Bills,
    examines Private Member’s Bill seeking to amend the Constitution before
    their introduction; and examines all Private Members' Bills after they are
    introduced and before they are taken up for consideration in the House and
    classifies them according to their nature, urgency and importance.."
    Thanks to you for quoting the relevant part. Caught up with some things ,hence could not.

• Chief Economic Advisor, Niti Ayog and Economic Advisory Council.

What's the difference? They all sound same.
  • Wakaao said:

Chief Economic Advisor, Niti Ayog and Economic Advisory Council.

What's the difference? They all sound same.

CEA works under FinMin and advises govt on purely economic matters.
    Niti Ayog advises on economic as well as other policy matters too.
    From vision magazines I understood, EAC collates information received from all the other sources and gives one best solution to the PM. It can suggest its own solutions too.
  • CEA- under FM, advices on financial matters, Eco Survey - basically just an advisor- a post to write and enjoy.
    Niti aayog- main work - strengthening federalism- also decides future policies ( such things are not decided by other 2 agencies) gives guidelines for better governance. It has become backbone of governance policy making. Also makes long term policies.
    EAC- its latest- work under PMO - ears n eyes on PM in financial matters. Since there were lot of issues where PMO needed its own body who has knowledge of Economy and PM can also hav independent thinking different from FM.

Ye thoda maine mannn se hi bola hai
    Kuch galat ho to shamaa karna
  • EAC jo nai bani hai wahi na ?? Baki theek ye nayi body bas ad hoc body hai PM ko suggest krne ke liye...

2nd tym this was constituted after one under MMS.
  • CEA- under FM, advices on financial matters, Eco Survey - basically just an advisor- a post to write and enjoy.
    Niti aayog- main work - strengthening federalism- also decides future policies ( such things are not decided by other 2 agencies) gives guidelines for better governance. It has become backbone of governance policy making. Also makes long term policies.
    EAC- its latest- work under PMO - ears n eyes on PM in financial matters. Since there were lot of issues where PMO needed its own body who has knowledge of Economy and PM can also hav independent thinking different from FM.

Ye thoda maine mannn se hi bola hai
    Kuch galat ho to shamaa karna

sahi hai. no issues in this.
  • in case of money bills, does it say anywhere that president has to assent with a time limit? I am trying to find if President can put pocket veto on money bills.
  • lalalash said:

Structural happens when the economy transititions from one type to another. Eg from agricultural to industrial. It may happen due to technology change. Skills are not upgraded with the same pace as economic change.
  • in case of money bills, does it say anywhere that president has to assent with a time limit? I am trying to find if President can put pocket veto on money bills.

AFAIK There is no time frame mentioned. Nothing is mentioned- seems like a grey area. But since it was introduced in house by his prior assent- he has to sign it as a convention, also country would come to a stand still if Prez decides to sit on appropriation bill ( budget).
    There have been fews cases in past where Prez decided to sit on the bill BUT they were not money bill.

Power of pocket veto also comes from a very carefully crafted sentence in constitution - "as soon as possible" - this sentence enables door for pocket veto.

No kind of veto for money bill. He has to assent and will assent. There is no time limit. But this delay cannot be equated to pocket veto. Nature of pocket veto is different n applicable only for ordinary Bill. A mere delay cannot qualify for veto
  • Naveen_BT said:

in case of money bills, does it say anywhere that president has to assent with a time limit? I am trying to find if President can put pocket veto on money bills.

No kind of veto for money bill. He has to assent and will assent. There is no time limit. But this delay cannot be equated to pocket veto. Nature of pocket veto is different n applicable only for ordinary Bill. A mere delay cannot qualify for veto
    No disagree here... In class while discussion faculty pointed that until constitution say no, prez is very much allowed to exploit grey area... Money bill can be vetoed... It doesn't happen generally bc he had aprroved earlier... But nothing binding on him... U cab very well research..

AFAIK There is no time frame mentioned. Nothing is mentioned- seems like a grey area. But since it was introduced in house by his prior assent- he has to sign it as a convention, also country would come to a stand still if Prez decides to sit on appropriation bill ( budget).
    There have been fews cases in past where Prez decided to sit on the bill BUT they were not money bill.

Power of pocket veto also comes from a very carefully crafted sentence in constitution - "as soon as possible" - this sentence enables door for pocket veto.
    I forgot to mention
    The pocket veto power is derived from " As soon As Possible" usage in suspension veto hence though Pocket Veto is not something explicitly mentioned BUT it is derived from Suspensive Veto.

Now the last part of question- - Money Billl- No pocket veto since No suspensive veto.

Absolute Veto can be technically used by Prez but he doesnt since he himself gives his prior consent.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog