MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening)-5:15PM - 7:15PM & 29th June (Morning)-11AM-1PM ; FREE SEMINAR ON 25TH JUNE, 5.15PM Subject To Availability Of Seats
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal(Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar(Rank-200, 2016) (3) Athar Aamir 1st booklet and 2nd booklet(Rank-2)
ForumIAS Community Meet 2017 on 25th June at 11 AM - You are invited

Dear Friends, ForumIAS Annual Community Meet will be held on June 25th at 11AM in Old Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi. The Chief Guest for the event will be Suharsh Bhagat, IAS Rank 5, CSE 2014. Come join us , and meet ForumIAS members who have secured ranks this year. Click here to register

What are the external state and non-state actors that are affecting India's internal security

Firstly please explain the meaning of the term "external state and non-state actors"

I have searched it on internet . . . but didn't find a suitable answer.
Can anyone please explain it in detail and also how they are affecting India's internal security.
·

Comments

• External state actors are those who are not positioned inside the country or belong somewhere else and act inside the country. Eg. LeT They are outside the state and launch terrorist attacks which threaten the security of india.
    Non- state actors are those who are inside the country but they are not synonymous with the state. They try to do something which the state does not acknowledge. Eg. Naxalites - They may set up people courts and punish someone but such behaviour is not even recognized by the state

They both threaten the security of the state because they challenge its authority. For example terrorists challenge the authority of the state in maintaining law and order.

There are many non-state actors in the North east, J&K and even in other parts of India of whom you may be knowing.
    Ifos 2013- Interview || CSM 2013- Geography
    ·
  • Thanks for the explanation . . . . it's really helpful.
    ·
  • I differ a bit with the explanation. I think the word external qualifies both 'state' and 'non state' actors.

So external state actors which pose a risk to internal security would be countries/ their official machinery. These risks may be direct or indirect. Maybe Pakistan's or China's army? Or Sponsoring terrorism by Pak's official investigating agency ISI.

External non state actors would be the terrorists operating from the territories of other countries.

·
  • edited November 2013
    Non-state actors : Actors/institutions which are not recognised and institutionalized by the Govt of State/Country

External means not from that country....

External state : Means the govt (and/or its organisation ) of the other country or state...

Now u can put this in your situation
    ·
  • I differ a bit with the explanation. I think the word external qualifies both 'state' and 'non state' actors.

So external state actors which pose a risk to internal security would be countries/ their official machinery. These risks may be direct or indirect. Maybe Pakistan's or China's army? Or Sponsoring terrorism by Pak's official investigating agency ISI.

External non state actors would be the terrorists operating from the territories of other countries.

I never said external actors don't refer to state actors. So why do you have to differ? I didn't talk about state actors in particular because after the cold war era such a term does not exist practically. Eg. Pakistan or china may act so but it is not diplomatically viable to talk or write about it. And in war you don't call the party an external state actor.
    ·
  • I seem to agree with Jojo here. I think LeT cannot be considered as an external "state" actor. And I haven't found any rational basis for linking cold war with such a term not being in existence till now. India's MEA has repeatedly pointed out to ISI's involvement in Mumbai attacks. It's not a taboo.

Infact, after Willy's extradition from Thailand to India, a link to Chinese govt.'s involvement in North-East insurgency in the past, could be looked into.

But that's my interpretation. I may be wrong.
    ·
  • Even materials from IDSA didn't place any allegation directly on any country. Politicians and media have that extraordinary freedom I believe. Anyways its your personal choice! Good luck :)
    ·
  • Good luck to you too buddy :)

Well, I'll have to share this with you so that you don't remain misinformed that only politicians and media have a role to play in this.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/isi-behind-26-11-from-start-to-end-home-secy/646108/

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-07-21/india/28293270_1_orf-heritage-foundation-dialogue-headley-clearer-picture-today
    ·
  • Is the term external linked to.only state or both state and non state? Depending on that, one of the answers from @vivekanand and @jojo12 is correct.
    ·
  • It is linked to both state and non state. You just have to make a choice whether you are going to accuse any country in particular in your answer paper. That is where there is difference between me and others. But external actor refers to both state and non- state. @bharat141
    ·
  • Good luck to you too buddy :)

Well, I'll have to share this with you so that you don't remain misinformed that only politicians and media have a role to play in this.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/isi-behind-26-11-from-start-to-end-home-secy/646108/

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-07-21/india/28293270_1_orf-heritage-foundation-dialogue-headley-clearer-picture-today
    I can see your level of understanding about what I said is very very less that you give the above links and call me misinformed. :P
    ·
  • @Vivekanand In that case, how can you call LeT a state actor and internal state actors as external? Its self contradicting the very meanings of state and external. IMO @jojo12 's explanation is more realistic.
    ·
  • Lol. I never called LeT a state actor. What has happened to people? I gave a general example of LeT as an external actor. Did you even read my reply? :P I think the person who asked the questioned got it. Since this argument is nowhere constructive you can take it for granted!
    ·
  • I think we need to clarify it properly

This term " actors " are the organisation or people affecting the foreign policy or dealing with foreign countries.

External means the outside the country or geographical boundaries of the country.

External actors can external non-state actor and external state actors

External non-state actors : they can be terrorist organisation, businessmen, media of the another country.

External state actors: govt organisation of the foreign country e.g. its military, commerce, MoEA, etc

Also it is not necessary that these actors always provides threats...they can also help in building relationship.

Internal non-state actors : are the actors which not govt organisation and affects the foreign policy..it can be positively and negatively.
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google