ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

How do i convince?

My family or anyone in society would say ki kya kr rahe the?? Result dikhana chyie next year. Result nhi dikha toh they would say mehnat nhi ki.. !!! why is it so?
How do i convince my family atleast?
* Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our greatest fear is we are powerful beyond measure*

Comments

• You need not to. Work hard.
  • Result in any exam. Not just UPSC . Close ones seek result in any damn small exam..
    * Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our greatest fear is we are powerful beyond measure*
  • Workhard said:

Result in any exam. Not just UPSC . Close ones seek result in any damn small exam..

Padh lo beta/bitiya...bar bar har cheez pe thread kholne se solution nahi milta, apne Ander jhaankna hota hai. Aatm-manthan karo.
    ये वक़्त ना ठहरा है, ये वक़्त ना ठहरेगा |
    यूही गुज़र जाएगा घबराना कैसा |
    हिम्मत से काम लेंगे, घबराना कैसा |
  • People who get selected every year are not aliens, if they can do it so can you. Prepare honestly, you will get result sooner or later. Making new threads very frequently and asking suggestions for every problem on public forum will lead you nowhere. Everyone has a story of troubles. You shouldn't give it a damn what others think of you. Once you get selected, these very people will come and say i knew you will do it.........So work hard..dnt overthink..Prelims is coming...ATB.
  • Unko ravish dikhao ndtv pe. naukari series.

Take your parents in confidence by talking to them and keep working forward.
    Relatives(close or far) and neighbours should not matter to you. And they wont if your parents agree to your long term goals because they will have to listen to most of the "talks/advices/comparisons".
    Once your parents are with you(tell them worst case scenarios as well, & ask for 2 years minimum) you would be at peace!

However, If it is the parents who want something quick to materialise, i would say try to get a job before entering upsc. Banks finish process very quickly, you may try that job.
  • The only thing I would say is make a timeline till when you would give exams I mean the age or the year say 2019 or 2020.. and tell the Same to your parents. they are worried because of uncertainty. By doing this you would take your parents in confidence and create a deadline for you as well.. and forget about the society, they would criticise and say things at your back even if you get into service. I know a senior of mine got selected in 5th attempt.. so called society congratulated him but at his back they used to say 5 6 saal padhane k Baad koi bhi select ho jaata hai.. bottomline don't think much about them, you are not accountable to them..
  • The situation is complicated.

Age, Relatives, Marriage, Financial Issues, Friends and Siblings

1. Don't look for support. The more you look for support the more vulnerable you will feel.The more vulnerable you will feel, the more shitty our prep will be. So act.

2. Make a mental roadmap. Explain to your parents what you covered, why you failed and how you'll do better next time. Its like making a deal. Maintain seriousness while you do it. Lets say they disagree, ask for an attempt and study hard.

3. Do not teach your parents about life and society but tell them your situation clearly. Dont tell them exam clear nahi hua. Tell them, ye books padhi thi, ye current affairs padhi thi, ye notes banaye par kahina kahi reh gaya/gayi toh ab mai aur mehnat karung/gi, kya aap saath doge?I personally make my mom see the books, notes and make her realise the quantum of prep.You have to sell yourself rather than assume your parents will have your back.If they emphasize on your failures, explain to them how competition will improve your abilities, make you a stronger, smarter person and how you'll work hard to acheive this.

4. If youre family is business oriented, prepare while working. Its tough to explain to business oriented people the quality of this exam because
    a) its a service
    b) youre working for other people instead of yourself
    c) there are no short term/medium term gains
    D) youre a net consumer of energy, resources until you clear this exam, so a net consumer over a long time period is not a socially profitable asset( this sounds weird but what I have felt is that Indians do think like that, even if the object is a person)

5.Relatives- Best strategy: Minimal contact. If they mould your parents opinion, play victim. Explain to them how they are negatively affecting your abilities thus wasting time and resources while they could support you all the way to power.
    6. Friends- Rationalize. Have one to two.If they keep highlighting your negativities, delete them from your life. Sounds cruel and harsh? Yes. It;ll take it for you to win.

But the best advise is to think long term. Cover Optional, basic books well and look for other jobs, prepare while working.

One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • advice* it'll*
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • Bhai let me say something. I too have faced similar issues.
    Let me assume: Parents yaha chintit hai for u..and unhe bharosa nhi ki ye ladka nikal payega upsc kuki bachpan se track record kuch khas nhi, aur unhe ye v lagta h ki Sab delhi jate h ek se ek coaching join krte h etc etc tab ja kr nikalta h..in short unka only chinta yah hai ki yah settle kaise hoga... About relatives..inka bas ek hi tension h ki galti se v kahi qualify na kr le yah ladka..aur ye wo relatives honge jinke khud k bachhe ssc,po,tcs etc m job kr rhe honge..baki relatives jinke bachhe avi school etc m h unhe koi mtlb nhi hoga tumse...aur ek assumption tumhare dad awesome gvt job nhi krte par unhe pata h in sab competition m failures k bare m..but mom house wife h..to utna idea nhi hai.
    Now solution: Ignore your relatives..means bhad mein jaye sab..mere sath hua tha ek uncle mukhse bole ..to beta kya kr rhe ho..mai bola kuch nhi uncle taiyari kr rha hun..par pass hi nhi ho rha..aap to "samajhdar" ho..jante hi ho ki in sab m time lagta hi h..aj tak khud ko wo samajhdar hi samajh rhe aur fir kavi aisa sawal nhi kiye(3 saal beet chuka h).
    Parents ko samjhao ki kosis kr rha pr pass nhi ho pa rha..fir wo apna chinta jahir karenge..ab bas ek kaam krna..ibps clerk, ssc ya koi v state gvt ka jab kahi exam ho rha ho to unko le jana centre mein..khas kr exam jab khtm ho chuka ho..sabke chehre dikhana..99% mayus chehre unme se kuch overaged uncles v honge unhe to jarur dikhana..fir batana dekho is centre m itne students h pr fact yah h ki pure cntr se max2-3 hi pass honge.. Sab mehnat kiye the tab hi exam dene aye the..means samjhana jaise v ho sake ki..tough h..mai v laga hua hun.. Mujhe jyada taklif hoti h har ek baar fail hone se..par fir se lagna padta h agle hi din se taiyari mein.. Tumlog ko mera result sun kr takleef hota h..to samjho batane m mera kya haal hota hoga.. Result to mai jis din nikalta h usi din dekh letq hun..pr batata tb hun jab tum log kq mood thoda positive dikhta h..itna din bharosha kiye ho thoda aur kr lo.. Bharosa nhi v kiye ho to bas thoda sah lo aur..
    In short badhiya se baat karo unse, ma baap hai..know u better then anyone else. Mahaul kharab h is liye jyada tension lete h.
    Relatives hi h jo mahaul kharab kiye hue h, ignore kro unko..ek baar to mere shadi ka v tension ho gya tha unhe to meri mummy ko bole..chinta ho rha h iska kab karega shadi.. Mai bol dya.. Mummy bol do unko ki ek aur shadi khud kr le mere badle..mind busy rahega.
    U have 2 options mere bhai.1) Convince then work hard or 2)Work hard to convince.
    Koi convince ho ya na ho 3rd june to ayega hi..so option 2 follow karo
    P.S:Kuch jyada ya galat kah dya to maaf krna
    Limited period offer-U can laugh at me till the 1st half of 2018
  • Workhard said:

Result in any exam. Not just UPSC . Close ones seek result in any damn small exam..

Padh lo beta/bitiya...bar bar har cheez pe thread kholne se solution nahi milta, apne Ander jhaankna hota hai. Aatm-manthan karo.
    + 1

I feel the same @Workhard
    Enough of your threads..Aarm manthan is the best way out
    I shall bomb the world one day !!
  • Idhar hameeda udhar hameeda....next baar aap threadmaan k naam seeat :smiley:
  • my experience is that one- two year struggle is there anyway. Results will come soon. If you are consistent. But you will find some job after that. SO keep working.
  • edited February 13
    Hahaha!! Ketni boli hai tu, ketni naddan hai..

Anyways dekh bahan. Itni abaadi wale desh mein tum Ketno ko Jawab dene ke sochi ho? .. Yaha logo ne sita ma se le kar Nehru, gandhi tak Jawab manga hai.. Trump ki daily bajate hai, papu too national joker bana dea gaya ..sabko sunti jaogi... Tumari life sirf tumari hai, jab tak maa baap hai sath, chill ho ke kero paap (UPSC wala paap) :wink:

P. S. rahi baat convince Kerne ke wo power sirf tumare pass hai
  • People who get selected every year are not aliens, if they can do it so can you. Prepare honestly, you will get result sooner or later. Making new threads very frequently and asking suggestions for every problem on public forum will lead you nowhere. Everyone has a story of troubles. You shouldn't give it a damn what others think of you. Once you get selected, these very people will come and say i knew you will do it.........So work hard..dnt overthink..Prelims is coming...ATB.

"if they can do it, so can you" this is the most misleading line ever. Abe yaaron, Zara seats to count karo
  • my experience is that one- two year struggle is there anyway. Results will come soon. If you are consistent. But you will find some job after that. SO keep working.

No, result will not come, ever for most of the candidates.
  • ramon said:

People who get selected every year are not aliens, if they can do it so can you. Prepare honestly, you will get result sooner or later. Making new threads very frequently and asking suggestions for every problem on public forum will lead you nowhere. Everyone has a story of troubles. You shouldn't give it a damn what others think of you. Once you get selected, these very people will come and say i knew you will do it.........So work hard..dnt overthink..Prelims is coming...ATB.

"if they can do it, so can you" this is the most misleading line ever. Abe yaaron, Zara seats to count karo
    .... If you think it is misleading , then most probably you will only prove it right for yourself. ..Remeber Henry Ford.
  • ramon said:

my experience is that one- two year struggle is there anyway. Results will come soon. If you are consistent. But you will find some job after that. SO keep working.

No, result will not come, ever for most of the candidates.
    My own experience has been such. Aapka agar nahi achha to mehnat kariye. Kahin kuch na kuch hoga. I think there is very small proportion of people jinko koi naukari nahi milti. Obviously not everyone will qualify upsc. But kuch na kuch achhi job nikal hi jati Hai. Baki if you are so sure about poor results being the norm, preparation chhod do.

+1

And try to convince your mom. And dad(if they too r doubtful) because they are investing thier valuable money...so they have the right to doubt you :) convince them..

Apart from mom and dad aap dusro ko kabhi satisfy nahi kar sakte....even aaj kal toh gandhiji ko bhi question karte h log keval bipin Chandra padh kar :)
  • Workhard said:

My family or anyone in society would say ki kya kr rahe the?? Result dikhana chyie next year. Result nhi dikha toh they would say mehnat nhi ki.. !!! why is it so?
    How do i convince my family atleast?

Life is too small to convince..India is too big to serve.. :)
  • Unko bolo ki jeevan Shadi karke bachche karne se kahi jyada bada hain. India me most of the people Shadi Bachcha hi karte hai after college studies. Unko bolo Bapu Amma ji hame kuchh khatarnak karna hai apne jeevan me. Aap je Shadi byah ke chahkar me any fasawo hame. Hame bas karne do. Hosla Dena chahiye apko to. Apni aulad ka thoda bharosa rakho. Sab theeke hi hoga.

हर हर महादेव :)
    You better be careful kid
  • ramon said:

People who get selected every year are not aliens, if they can do it so can you. Prepare honestly, you will get result sooner or later. Making new threads very frequently and asking suggestions for every problem on public forum will lead you nowhere. Everyone has a story of troubles. You shouldn't give it a damn what others think of you. Once you get selected, these very people will come and say i knew you will do it.........So work hard..dnt overthink..Prelims is coming...ATB.

.... If you think it is misleading , then most probably you will only prove it right for yourself. ..Remeber Henry Ford.
    And harrison ford :mrgreen:
  • one thing is for sure ...u can never convince your parents ... till they have hope ... rest u can convince urself for not to convince your parents ... :D
  • edited February 13
    convince urself :D
  • MR1_Today said:

convince urself :D

exactly, kyuki selection nai hone k baad khud guilt aata hai ki these years went down the drain. Parents ko to fir bhi samjha skte ho, khud ko maaf karna jyada muskil kaam hai..
  • edited February 13
    @Workhard aka 29 others :mrgreen: u r more like a crybaby, become a karmyogi .
    सौभाग्य न सब दिन सोता है,
    देखें, आगे क्या होता है।

याचना नहीं, अब रण होगा,
    जीवन-जय या कि मरण होगा। :mrgreen:

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog