ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

Why do people leave high paying jobs for becoming IAS? Do they expect to earn through corruption?

I seriously do not understand the motive behind such a move. Forget about what you will tell people. Just talk to your inner self. Is corruption your prime motive? Do you think that you will have your work as main course but corruption as a side dish/dessert? Can you survive without corruption in the bureaucracy? Answering such questions can guide many youngsters like me to go onto the right path. Seniors please give your most valuable opinions/guidance. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Comments

• :smiley: :smiley:

Lol suruyaat main hi karta Hoon ....aapke thread PE :mrgreen:
  • Interesting. Mera bhi mann lalcha raha hai.
  • Hameeda bhen, Roz ek thread banake mast busy rakh rahi ho sab ko.

Meanwhile, you should know this answer better because Tum 40 lpa ka job chhod Kar ias join karogi when you pass the exam. What is your motivation then? :smirk:

Also, ias is not a peanut job when you consider the over all package.

Utna bada makaan, gadi, and a lot of perks.

For those who consider decent salary, homely food, closeness to home and parents, lot of respect in society, a satisfying job profile. This is like a dream job.

Those who make crores in the corporate sector will also probably have the same bungalow, gadi and other perks. But he will be a no one, he will have to speak to hundred people to get a small thing done (sadly that is how our society works). Life will anyways be stressful in such a pay, and very less time to actually enjoy the money he earns.

Ias will any day better than these jobs for me personally. Not sure about others.

And that is why you see people coming back to India leaving high paying jobs and joining the bureaucracy.

It's not about the money, its all about the comfort in life. Is gives a comfortable and stable experience on a personal level.
  • And those who feel the necessity for extra money, teaching, book writing, innovation, small businesses etc will keep the pockets full. Not everyone is corrupt and has to be.
  • I am accepting my job offer. @pizzza After a lot of thought it seemed sensible to get some work experience while the age is on my side. I will write 2018 exam nevertheless.
  • I am accepting my job offer. @pizzza After a lot of thought it seemed sensible to get some work experience while the age is on my side. I will write 2018 exam nevertheless.

Take the job, you will anyways pass the exam.

Build a Humanoid and give her Hameeda's name!

Godspeed!
  • edited February 12
    Its not necessary to be highly paid first to be corrupt later. Corruption has very less to do with what you earn except for may be peon.
    There are several reasons why one may leave a high paying :
    1. As time passes in your life social recognition becomes important. If you join a private job, you will not get that recognition for next 20 years.
    2. Even if you earn more than IAS it won't stop a constable from harassing you but the same constable will bend backward in front of IAS ans IPS. modest amount of money has little value in a society which is corrupt and applies law selectively.
    3. Some people leave well paying job to have better work life balance and spend more time with family.

You will agree with all of these once you start working.

• ^ "Modest amount of money has little value in a society which is corrupt and applies law selectively." Very aptly said.
  • Talking about myself, hailing from one of the most backward areas of India, featuring feudal society and deprived minority community, 'IAS ka Raula' is the sole reason why I left my job which was paying me more than Hameeda's package.
  • pizzza said:

And those who feel the necessity for extra money, teaching, book writing, innovation, small businesses etc will keep the pockets full. Not everyone is corrupt and has to be.

+1
    all i need is You Lord
  • edited February 12
    Why do people work?

fun fact: he also prepared for civil services in his time, gave interview once.
  • Its not necessary to be highly paid first to be corrupt later. Corruption has very less to do with what you earn except for may be peon.
    1. As time passes in your life social recognition becomes important. If you join a private job, you will not get that recognition for next 20 years.
    2. Even if you earn more than IAS it won't stop a constable from harassing you but the same constable will bend backward in front of IAS ans IPS. modest amount of money has little value in a society which is corrupt and applies law selectively.
    3. Some people leave well paying job to have better work life balance and spend more time with family.

It seems u have been harrassed a lot by "a constable". Or do you assume its very common!!
  • anirudh91 said:

Its not necessary to be highly paid first to be corrupt later. Corruption has very less to do with what you earn except for may be peon.

It seems u have been harrassed a lot by "a constable". Or do you assume its very common!!
    It's a common thing. Being an ias works. Be it quick gas, telephone, and other connections. School admissions etc. And countless number of things.

If you are a corporate guy making a crore per year, you are susceptible enough to get harassed by your petty internet connection guy.
  • Why do people work?

fun fact: he also prepared for civil services in his time, gave interview once.

Good one
  • Nobody is immune to harassment. Degree may vary. An IAS is definitely better equipped to deal with harassment.

To reduce the probability of getting harassed -

1. Be assertive.
    2. Don't get isolated.
  • edited February 12
    1ManArmy said:

Nobody is immune to harassment. Degree may vary. An IAS is definitely better equipped to deal with harassment.

1. Be assertive.
    2. Don't get isolated.

I don't exactly remember where did I read it but the postulate goes like when government does not work well, people have two options. First is exit that is you opt out of public services such as relying on private security guards, private schools, private hospitals etc. And there was one other factor which I don't remember. I think it was in last year's economic survey. Anyone recalls it?
  • 1ManArmy said:

Nobody is immune to harassment. Degree may vary. An IAS is definitely better equipped to deal with harassment.

1. Be assertive.
    2. Don't get isolated.

I don't exactly remember where did I read it but the postulate goes like when government does not work well, people have two options. First is exit that is you opt out of public services such as relying on private security guards, private schools, private hospitals etc. And there was one other factor which I don't remember. I think it was in last year's economic survey.
    They take the law into their own hands.
  • 1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

1. Be assertive.
    2. Don't get isolated.

I don't exactly remember where did I read it but the postulate goes like when government does not work well, people have two options. First is exit that is you opt out of public services such as relying on private security guards, private schools, private hospitals etc. And there was one other factor which I don't remember. I think it was in last year's economic survey.
    I don' think that's what it was
  • The standard of living in the private sector is better, for the high achievers at least. Interaction with good people, children grow up with a forward thinking peer group, family friendships with generally honest and interesting folks.

Some of this will be there in the IAS too, depending on the individual but a lot of time will be spent interacting and entertaining people you wouldn't glance at if you weren't in the government. And of course, the harassment by the uncouth poltical class, especially if one decides to bid one's soul, is avoidable.

Of course, most aspirants are equally uncouth and are chasing a feudal lifestyle in the manner of the old colonial rules (although with half their competence). For them, the IAS will always be the natural choice, no matter what the opportunity in the private sector. Their wet dreams are all under the table.
    Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends than that good men should look on and do nothing.
  • 1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

1. Be assertive.
    2. Don't get isolated.

May not be in Economic Survey. 4:00 - 5:48
  • 1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

1. Be assertive.
    2. Don't get isolated.

Found the concept, though still don't remember where did I read it. It's called exit and voice - if people can't voice their grievances they will exit the system.

From wikipedia:

The basic concept is as follows: members of an organization, whether a business, a nation or any other form of human grouping, have essentially two possible responses when they perceive that the organization is demonstrating a decrease in quality or benefit to the member: they can exit (withdraw from the relationship); or, they can voice (attempt to repair or improve the relationship through communication of the complaint, grievance or proposal for change). For example, the citizens of a country may respond to increasing political repression in two ways: emigrate or protest. Similarly, employees can choose to quit their unpleasant job, or express their concerns in an effort to improve the situation. Disgruntled customers can choose to shop elsewhere, or they ask for the manager. Exit and voice themselves represent a union between economic and political action. Exit is associated with Adam Smith's invisible hand, in which buyers and sellers are free to move silently through the market, constantly forming and destroying relationships. Voice, on the other hand, is by nature political and at times confrontational.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit,_Voice,_and_Loyalty

I still think I may have read a reference to it in economic survey.
  • 1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

1. Be assertive.
    2. Don't get isolated.

Found the concept, though still don't remember where did I read it. It's called exit and voice - if people can't voice their grievances they will exit the system.

From wikipedia:

The basic concept is as follows: members of an organization, whether a business, a nation or any other form of human grouping, have essentially two possible responses when they perceive that the organization is demonstrating a decrease in quality or benefit to the member: they can exit (withdraw from the relationship); or, they can voice (attempt to repair or improve the relationship through communication of the complaint, grievance or proposal for change). For example, the citizens of a country may respond to increasing political repression in two ways: emigrate or protest. Similarly, employees can choose to quit their unpleasant job, or express their concerns in an effort to improve the situation. Disgruntled customers can choose to shop elsewhere, or they ask for the manager. Exit and voice themselves represent a union between economic and political action. Exit is associated with Adam Smith's invisible hand, in which buyers and sellers are free to move silently through the market, constantly forming and destroying relationships. Voice, on the other hand, is by nature political and at times confrontational.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit,_Voice,_and_Loyalty

I still think I may have read a reference to it in economic survey.
    hmm
  • edited February 12
    maslows hierarchy

private sector is mainly money and maybe some esteem at a later age after a lot of struggle and luck..

Civil services helps u achieve the needs in the "hiererchy of needs" lot of more easily at a young age..A DCP of mumbai/Delhi after 4 yrs of service below 30 yrs of age is better than many top private posts unless ur hunger for money is limitless..then ofcourse the best route is entrepreneurship wherein too u will need govt(read IAS/IPS) for clearances... & yeah a traffic constable can reduce a 1 crore CEO to nothing in the streets or in the chowki..
    All exams considered bloody tough in India-CLEARED

CSE '16 rank- In 300s

• edited February 12
    pizzza said:

anirudh91 said:

It's a common thing. Being an ias works. Be it quick gas, telephone, and other connections. School admissions etc. And countless number of things.

If you are a corporate guy making a crore per year, you are susceptible enough to get harassed by your petty internet connection guy.
    your son/daughter will not be able to study in top schools in you "white salary". It is crazy that a gas cylinder can guide your career path (unless you are BPL and subscriber of Ujjwala Yojana). A crorepati corporate guy is not just crorepati by money, he has a social network of that stature too.

If private sector had enough quality jobs with high pays, GoI would be begging to get top minds to work for it.
    You live in globalised capitalist world bro, even democracy is a commodity. Elections are paid for, transfers are paid for, votes are paid for.
  • edited February 12

pizzza said:

anirudh91 said:

your son/daughter will not be able to study in top schools in you "white salary". It is crazy that a gas cylinder can guide your career path (unless you are BPL and subscriber of Ujjwala Yojana). A crorepati corporate guy is not just crorepati by money, he has a social network of that stature too.
    Lol, you must be seriously lazy to just rely on the salary. If you need more money, you gotta work more. Now dont ask me how because you seem to be well educated to know how to make "White money",.

And yes yes, have seen many crorepatis lining up to get their gas connection for hours. So, please :mrgreen:
  • https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/et-effect-cbi-registers-fir-against-nhai-officials-american-firm-in-1-18-million-graft-case/articleshow/62860413.cms
    The case actually involves a lot of senior IRS officers including the Chairperson of CBEC but CBI is silent about them.
    The world is filled with amazing things you'll probably never notice if you keep staring at your GODDAMN PHONE.
  • edited February 12
    pizzza said:

pizzza said:

anirudh91 said:

Lol, you must be seriously lazy to just rely on the salary. If you need more money, you gotta work more. Now dont ask me how because you seem to be well educated to know how to make "White money",.

And yes yes, have seen many crorepatis lining up to get their gas connection for hours. So, please :mrgreen:
    So, your argument is "I can't get gas cylinder without being in queue. I will become IAS for it!" Bhai your crorepatis i guess are wealthy by inheritance like Rahul Gandhi. If i am crorepati, i will get my servant to be in queue and use any means to get the cylinder. Like seriously, this conversation cant get below this.

Baat rhi harassment ki, my friend, IAS is so easy to be harassed that you wont believe. Senior citizens goes to office of IAS. Couldn't get the desired thing from him. File a fake complaint on him for harassment. Result of tribunal takes 3-4 years. He will not be able to get promotion during this time. This is less common. Another is harassment using RTI which is so common. Another is a local trade union head doing something illegal. You come from outside state. This Trade union (forget trade union, just any namesake leader with considerable influence) leader is from dominant caste. You take action against him. He will threaten you. MLAs will eat your ass because he is vote banker. Uska kuch ho na ho you will be transferred.
  • edited February 12

I seriously do not understand the motive behind such a move. Forget about what you will tell people. Just talk to your inner self. Is corruption your prime motive? Do you think that you will have your work as main course but corruption as a side dish/dessert? Can you survive without corruption in the bureaucracy? Answering such questions can guide many youngsters like me to go onto the right path. Seniors please give your most valuable opinions/guidance. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Bro,
    there are various expects of Working Life
    High Salary in Private sector comes with a lifeless working career
    The competition gets steeper in the private sector as the pyramid in the Private sector gets narrower.
    Plus no respect even if you are CEO only ET will sing praise that too when you help your company earn millions
    Private company high salary job lives then become monotonous & senseless as you are pushed only to maximize profit. Then you will get superspecialized in job doing the same thing. Eventually Changing companies just for increasing your salary

In short even if earn 25 LPA there is no satisfaction as someone will be earning 35 LPA and you will never be satisfied. Your demands will increase foreign holidays, Luxury Brand clothing --> Basically all hypocrisy
    thus RAT race of Package never ends eventually after 3-4 years you realize you missed out our best years of life for nothing but a few Lakh rupees

that's the reason many of so called high earner want to move out of bullshit Private sector and their high end jobs
  • edited February 12

pizzza said:

pizzza said:

anirudh91 said:

So, your argument is "I can't get gas cylinder without being in queue. I will become IAS for it!" Bhai your crorepatis i guess are wealthy by inheritance like Rahul Gandhi. If i am crorepati, i will get my servant to be in queue and use any means to get the cylinder. Like seriously, this conversation cant get below this.

Baat rhi harassment ki, my friend, IAS is so easy to be harassed that you wont believe. Senior citizens goes to office of IAS. Couldn't get the desired thing from him. File a fake complaint on him for harassment. Result of tribunal takes 3-4 years. He will not be able to get promotion during this time. This is less common. Another is harassment using RTI which is so common. Another is a local trade union head doing something illegal. You come from outside state. This Trade union (forget trade union, just any namesake leader with considerable influence) leader is from dominant caste. You take action against him. He will threaten you. MLAs will eat your ass because he is vote banker. Uska kuch ho na ho you will be transferred.
    Okay. You win. :mrgreen:

because,
    1. Your servant is a VIP and he will go only to get things done and he will never call you without the work being done. :blush:
    2. Only IAS officers get harassed, common crorepatis are immune from MLAs, trade unions and what not. After all money speaks. :trollface:

Hehe, thanks for changing my mind. :innocent:
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog