How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class

TISS vs CGL vs UPSC

Hi everyone,

I have been preparing for UPSC CSE for the last 4.5 years.
2014- Did not appear
2015- Out of the Prelims 2015( Did not study much-got distracted).
2016-Gave Mains exam but did not clear.
2017-Out of Prelims by a close margin.

Just 2-3 months before the Prelims 2016, I started studying in a focused manner. I cleared the Prelims this time. I gave Mains 2016 but did not clear by 130 marks. However, one positive was that I had scored good marks in Essay-140.

I was also juggling SSC CGL 2016. Cleared its Tier-1 with good marks(170) but could not give time to Tier-2. Scored low in Maths TIer-2(105). I just cleared the cut-off for Tier-3 and Tier-4 which happened in 2017.

As it happens to many of us, I got complacent after the Mains 2016. It became difficult to start my studies again. But I struggled. I also lost some time and willpower preparing for SSC CGL Tier-3 and Tier-4. I was confident that I would clear CSE Prelims 2017. Due to this overconfidence, I did not work as hard as I should have. I just missed the cut-off.

My folks wanted me to clear SSC CGL 2017 and focus less on UPSC. I gave myself time solely for CGL but I did not/ could not study Maths for Tier-2( I don't know why I don't feel like studying Maths).

As I was getting worried about my future, I gave TISS NET 2018 which I cleared for HRM & LM at Mumbai campus. Now, I am confused between TISS, CGL, and UPSC. I never wanted CGL and TISS. I am not well prepared for CGL Maths Tier-2. For UPSC, I need to make notes for the optional as without them I am not able to perform well in the Mains. Prelims exam is approaching and I have to focus more if I want to clear it(lower vacancies, last time did not clear).

Should I prepare for GD/PI for the TISS? Should I join TISS if I clear the exam? Joining TISS would mean saying goodbye to UPSC. On one hand, UPSC is a dream that I have nurtured for long. It is difficult to give up. On the other hand, it is getting difficult to study and there is an uncertainty in UPSC. I want to clear UPSC.

There is an issue of the time gap for selection in TISS and placement after the course. What should I do? Please help.

Comments

• Are you sure that Lust and Literotica will cease to impact your Academics negativity, inside TISS?
  • there comes a time in life to move on, no matter what.
  • edited February 8
    chase your dreams. what else is life's worth ...
  • 1ManArmy said:

Are you sure that Lust and Literotica will cease to impact your Academics negativity, inside TISS?

Lust does not take much time to satisfy once you meet the right person. And I am not interested in Literotica. I was talking about good non-fiction and fiction books.
  • Hi everyone,

2014- Did not appear

Just 2-3 months before the Prelims 2016, I started studying in a focused manner. I cleared the Prelims this time. I gave Mains 2016 but did not clear by 130 marks. However, one positive was that I had scored good marks in Essay-140.

I was also juggling SSC CGL 2016. Cleared its Tier-1 with good marks(170) but could not give time to Tier-2. Scored low in Maths TIer-2(105). I just cleared the cut-off for Tier-3 and Tier-4 which happened in 2017.

As it happens to many of us, I got complacent after the Mains 2016. It became difficult to start my studies again. But I struggled. I also lost some time and willpower preparing for SSC CGL Tier-3 and Tier-4. I was confident that I would clear CSE Prelims 2017. Due to this overconfidence, I did not work as hard as I should have. I just missed the cut-off.

My folks wanted me to clear SSC CGL 2017 and focus less on UPSC. I gave myself time solely for CGL but I did not/ could not study Maths for Tier-2( I don't know why I don't feel like studying Maths).

As I was getting worried about my future, I gave TISS NET 2018 which I cleared for HRM & LM at Mumbai campus. Now, I am confused between TISS, CGL, and UPSC. I never wanted CGL and TISS. I am not well prepared for CGL Maths Tier-2. For UPSC, I need to make notes for the optional as without them I am not able to perform well in the Mains. Prelims exam is approaching and I have to focus more if I want to clear it(lower vacancies, last time did not clear).

Should I prepare for GD/PI for the TISS? Should I join TISS if I clear the exam? Joining TISS would mean saying goodbye to UPSC. On one hand, UPSC is a dream that I have nurtured for long. It is difficult to give up. On the other hand, it is getting difficult to study and there is an uncertainty in UPSC. I want to clear UPSC.

There is an issue of the time gap for selection in TISS and placement after the course. What should I do? Please help.

is your name priyanka?
  • is your name priyanka?

Yes. How is that relevant to my query?
  • 1ManArmy said:

Are you sure that Lust and Literotica will cease to impact your Academics negativity, inside TISS?

Lust does not take much time to satisfy once you meet the right person. And I am not interested in Literotica. I was talking about good non-fiction and fiction books.
    Accept my humble apologies, ma'am, for mistaking your reading habits.

And seems like a lack of drive to me.
  • 1ManArmy said:

What kind of a reply is that ?? Where did lust n literotica come from ?? Isn't that offensive ?
    I shall bomb the world one day !!
  • Hi everyone,

2014- Did not appear

My suggestion based on the knowledge I have about the things would be to focus on UPSC & CGL. If you don't have any age limit issues you may also consider taking a break from Civils and clear CGL in the meantime and get back to CSE with renewed vigour and confidence the following year.

I also feel that TISS can become really hectic and unmanageable with UPSC. I have a good friend at TISS who is herself an UPSC aspirant. If you wish I can get her in touch with you. You may leave me a message.
  • Financial stability is utmost need of the hour in increasing blooshed compitition era .. :)
    Jo aaj tera hai ,wo kal mera hoga aur parso kisi aur ka ho jayega !!
  • Was in similar situation few years back. I went with CGL. It gave me time to prepare for further attempts.
    Mission 2018 - Final assault
  • Hi everyone,

2014- Did not appear

go for TISS
  • First best thing is job(cgl), second TISS (if first is not happening). Third can be whatever, eg. Upsc.
  • taliban said:

1ManArmy said:

What kind of a reply is that ?? Where did lust n literotica come from ?? Isn't that offensive ?
    There was a line in the original post which contained the word 'lust' and separately literature(out of syllabus books) which are distracting me. So, he is not at fault in that. It's just that he misconstrued it a little and blew it out of proportion to the problem at hand. That is why I removed it.
  • taliban said:

1ManArmy said:

There was a line in the original post which contained the word 'lust' and separately literature(out of syllabus books) which are distracting me. So, he is not at fault in that. It's just that he misconstrued it a little and blew it out of proportion to the problem at hand. That is why I removed it.
    prepare well for tiss because MBA aspirants also appear for this exam
  • taliban said:

1ManArmy said:

Ohh my bad ! @1ManArmy
    Thanks for the clarification
  • 1ManArmy said:

*negatively
  • taliban said:

taliban said:

1ManArmy said:

Ohh my bad ! @1ManArmy
    Thanks for the clarification
    You're forgiven.
  • 1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

Where does drive come from? I know the reasons why I want to do things. I know the scenarios, and what I will leave and gain. Nothing seems to be good enough. I have become cynical.
  • taliban said:

1ManArmy said:

taliban said:

1ManArmy said:

And I apologised.
  • 1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

Where does drive come from? I know the reasons why I want to do things. I know the scenarios, and what I will leave and gain. Nothing seems to be good enough. I have become cynical.
    a bird in hand is better tahn two in the bush.
  • 1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

Have replied in private.
  • Thank you all for giving it a thought!
  • The only difference between people who finally make it to the coveted list and who don't is that- earlier ones never got distracted from their dream of clearing this exam. Job security wale jobs hi karte rah jate hai, risk lene walon me se hi kuch log apne mukam tak pahunch paate hai.

Financial issues and age issue nahi ho to UPSC hi karo, job security ki tension mat lo, you won't die due to hunger and starvation, kuch na kuch to kaam karoge hi, in the worst case. Now all depends that your dream of clearing this exam kitna real hai !

किस्मत कभी- कभी तब मेहरबान होती है जब हमे कुछ उम्मीद नहीं होती !
  • The only difference between people who finally make it to the coveted list and who don't is that- earlier ones never got distracted from their dream of clearing this exam. Job security wale jobs hi karte rah jate hai, risk lene walon me se hi kuch log apne mukam tak pahunch paate hai.

Financial issues and age issue nahi ho to UPSC hi karo, job security ki tension mat lo, you won't die due to hunger and starvation, kuch na kuch to kaam karoge hi, in the worst case. Now all depends that your dream of clearing this exam kitna real hai !

Your words are really encouraging. Sometimes, it becomes difficult to believe in yourself after a string of failures. I agree with you. I just need to gather some courage and dive in. And I just need to improve my Maths to clear CGL which is somewhat needed for CSAT also.
  • Can any of you kind souls tell me how to improve my Maths in short time with the least possible efforts? My CGL exam is in February '18.
  • Can any of you kind souls tell me how to improve my Maths in short time with the least possible efforts? My CGL exam is in February '18.

Past year papers.

Topicwise pyq in reverse order of years from 2017. Do 50 questions in each topic atleast and revise them if needed before going for the next set of 50 more( if time permits)
    Google sandeep bohay maths notes for compilation of formulae and imp questions with tricks!

Ps: if you have already done maths, going back to your notes is more better.
    Revolution 2020
  • Kira said:

Can any of you kind souls tell me how to improve my Maths in short time with the least possible efforts? My CGL exam is in February '18.

Topicwise pyq in reverse order of years from 2017. Do 50 questions in each topic atleast and revise them if needed before going for the next set of 50 more( if time permits)
    Google sandeep bohay maths notes for compilation of formulae and imp questions with tricks!

Ps: if you have already done maths, going back to your notes is more better.
    Thanks!

I like this. Very positive attitude. I myself giving my 4th attempt (3rd serious attempt)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog