ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

appearing for both mba and upsc interviews

This year will be my third interview at upsc
I have decided to make it the last, come what may.

I gave cat too abd got a reasonable percentile. I have got calls from some new iims ( sadly the date coincides with upsc interview, but perhaps they will reschedule it on request).

Now after btech I have a massive gap of 4 years. I will have to justify it by my upsc results...like always cleared pre and cleared mains three out of four times.

But If I tell them about this year's interview, wouldn't it be a negative factor for me. They might ask ki why should we waste a seat for you in case you get final selection.

So should I mention about this year's cse interview or not?

Please, if anyone who has some idea, help me with advice.

thanks
«1

Comments

  • bro just give it in man...

    you will create a sort of history
    Mood bohot kharab hai kya kare
    Prelims -3 Mains-3* Interview - 0*
  • This year will be my third interview at upsc
    I have decided to make it the last, come what may.

    I gave cat too abd got a reasonable percentile. I have got calls from some new iims ( sadly the date coincides with upsc interview, but perhaps they will reschedule it on request).

    Now after btech I have a massive gap of 4 years. I will have to justify it by my upsc results...like always cleared pre and cleared mains three out of four times.

    But If I tell them about this year's interview, wouldn't it be a negative factor for me. They might ask ki why should we waste a seat for you in case you get final selection.

    So should I mention about this year's cse interview or not?

    Please, if anyone who has some idea, help me with advice.

    thanks

    Absolutely NO. Never say about upsc thingy in other interviews. I was blasted all the time. Could not get selected in earlier bank interviews. That too IIMs - they are really very choosy. THis is just my opinion.
  • Hemantg said:

    This year will be my third interview at upsc
    I have decided to make it the last, come what may.

    I gave cat too abd got a reasonable percentile. I have got calls from some new iims ( sadly the date coincides with upsc interview, but perhaps they will reschedule it on request).

    Now after btech I have a massive gap of 4 years. I will have to justify it by my upsc results...like always cleared pre and cleared mains three out of four times.

    But If I tell them about this year's interview, wouldn't it be a negative factor for me. They might ask ki why should we waste a seat for you in case you get final selection.

    So should I mention about this year's cse interview or not?

    Please, if anyone who has some idea, help me with advice.

    thanks

    Absolutely NO. Never say about upsc thingy in other interviews. I was blasted all the time. Could not get selected in earlier bank interviews. That too IIMs - they are really very choosy. THis is just my opinion.
    bank wale qtiye hote hn... they always look down upon you.... but mba wale understanding hote honge imo... atleast they should understand ki time waste to nai kiya
  • edited January 29

    This year will be my third interview at upsc
    I have decided to make it the last, come what may.

    I gave cat too abd got a reasonable percentile. I have got calls from some new iims ( sadly the date coincides with upsc interview, but perhaps they will reschedule it on request).

    Now after btech I have a massive gap of 4 years. I will have to justify it by my upsc results...like always cleared pre and cleared mains three out of four times.

    But If I tell them about this year's interview, wouldn't it be a negative factor for me. They might ask ki why should we waste a seat for you in case you get final selection.

    So should I mention about this year's cse interview or not?

    Please, if anyone who has some idea, help me with advice.

    thanks

    New iims bro not all of them are good
    Ranchi is good not sure about others
    Better to conc on Civils I believe
    Plus fees of iim is too high ROI on new IIM is low
    But for someone with good profile it could be good
    But for average profile its better to skip them 2 years is long time
  • edited January 29

    Hemantg said:

    This year will be my third interview at upsc
    I have decided to make it the last, come what may.

    I gave cat too abd got a reasonable percentile. I have got calls from some new iims ( sadly the date coincides with upsc interview, but perhaps they will reschedule it on request).

    Now after btech I have a massive gap of 4 years. I will have to justify it by my upsc results...like always cleared pre and cleared mains three out of four times.

    But If I tell them about this year's interview, wouldn't it be a negative factor for me. They might ask ki why should we waste a seat for you in case you get final selection.

    So should I mention about this year's cse interview or not?

    Please, if anyone who has some idea, help me with advice.

    thanks

    Absolutely NO. Never say about upsc thingy in other interviews. I was blasted all the time. Could not get selected in earlier bank interviews. That too IIMs - they are really very choosy. THis is just my opinion.
    bank wale qtiye hote hn... they always look down upon you.... but mba wale understanding hote honge imo... atleast they should understand ki time waste to nai kiya
    Mere case me backfire kar gayi thee private interviews me. One was an Investment Banking Compant, and the other was a Consulting firm. I guess, interview panel par bhi depend karta hai. Kahi kahi par honesty work kar jaati hai. RBI interviews me jaise. I guess waha work kari hai jaha logo ne vishwaas dilaya hai ki they will surely join the organisations. Edu Institutions ka lekin different case hona chahiye. They are not employers. Plus waiting list bhi nikalti hai. I guess apke question ka jawab kisi ke liye bhi tough rahega dena.
  • This year will be my third interview at upsc
    I have decided to make it the last, come what may.

    I gave cat too abd got a reasonable percentile. I have got calls from some new iims ( sadly the date coincides with upsc interview, but perhaps they will reschedule it on request).

    Now after btech I have a massive gap of 4 years. I will have to justify it by my upsc results...like always cleared pre and cleared mains three out of four times.

    But If I tell them about this year's interview, wouldn't it be a negative factor for me. They might ask ki why should we waste a seat for you in case you get final selection.

    So should I mention about this year's cse interview or not?

    Please, if anyone who has some idea, help me with advice.

    thanks

    New iims bro not all of them are good
    Ranchi is good not sure about others
    Better to conc on Civils I believe
    Plus fees of iim is too high ROI on new IIM is low
    But for someone with good profile it could be good
    But for average profile its better to skip them 2 years is long time
    mn v iim ranchi, kashipur, trichy , iit delhi, madras ki fight maar raha... aur koi chaara nai h bro.. civils ko kab tak dete rahenge,... direct corporate job lagg nai raha.. i will give my best to civils this time.. but then its time to move on
  • Also I am very poor as far as interviews are concerned. I dont have any problem with articulation per se. But I am socially awkward. Recently, I have come to realize I might be suffering from ADHD.
  • Jhoot bolke interview kharab hone ka zyda chance hai..
    If you'll lie about something you'll be concerned throughout the interview ki yaar kahi pakad na lein!!
    Jo sach hai vo sach hai.. At least you cleared so many times.
    What if one of the interview members who prepared had the same problem in his days.
    Prepare about the questions related to corporate governance, upsc, govt policies, iim and their autonomy etc.
    Upar wale topics justify kar doge toh bhai kisi ko kya farak padta hai what you did in 4 Years.

    Agar sab job interview me aise badla lene lage ki seat kharab kar raha hai toh bank po, capf,, ies, in fact people who are already IPS, IRS could not have cleared this exam again and again. Aap seat kharab nahi kar rahe.. Aap ne Life me ek target banaya aur usko achieve kia aur aap logo se aur deserving ho.. Aap upsc k liye jab iim ki seat chordoge toh reserve list wala ayega usme. Aapne seat kharab kaha ki
    There is no god but God
  • edited January 29

    Also I am very poor as far as interviews are concerned. I dont have any problem with articulation per se. But I am socially awkward. Recently, I have come to realize I might be suffering from ADHD.

    bhai,

    dont take me wrong Corporate interviews are tough nut to Crack. Unlike Civils they want super fluent and articulate individual with lots of self-confidence. Within IIM the fight will be immense. If it was IIM BLACK then one can land into average jobs if not stellar but in new IIM there will be a few decent jobs for which the whole batch will fight and then profile ( male + Engineer) comes into picture
    give it a decent shot. If you convert IIM Ranchi or T join it
    IIT Delhi is good in fact IIT M is good baki could be problem
    PS: Alums of new IIMs please don't target me. I am advising based on the profile and overall perception in the market
  • From experience will tell.

    If dates clashing, u can always shift ur interview dates. They do accomodate such requests.

    Now since u have this long gap, justifying will be difficult if not for some solid backing.

    Tell them cleverly u tried for CSE, now leaving since u r not getting required succes. Dont they same for any business initiative ? Its better to diversify and move on than uselesslu feeding white elephant.

    Tell them, how all these knowledge will help u drastically in mba area.

    They are aware about all harsh realities. They appreciate if u share ur honest opinion but yea of course with articulate manipulation as per need.

    Dont let go of ur calls for sure. This exam is big gamble ...rest u know much better . ATB. Wont be surprised to see u clearing both things. IIM select + IAS cleared. Like a boss. :)
  • Just told the inside view and the competition inside. In case if it helps
  • Bhai i just have an info for you. Please consider it before you take big decisions. If u manage to get into any tier 1 MBA college with 4 years of gap, you will face a really really hard time during placements. 80-90 % companies will not shortlist you for interviews. When it comes to MBA placements, 1 year gap is a blunder, 2 years is a crime and here you have a solid 4 years of gap.
    Do consider it before you take a decision.
  • Just one question I have... Some good colleges don't care abt gap.. So just want to knw in that cases also placement companies will sideline u????
  • rct said:

    Just one question I have... Some good colleges don't care abt gap.. So just want to knw in that cases also placement companies will sideline u????

    Yep.

    It's not about the college.
    It's about the companies.
  • rct said:

    Just one question I have... Some good colleges don't care abt gap.. So just want to knw in that cases also placement companies will sideline u????

    All good colleges do care about the gap as they have a rep to protect. No matter how much wr talk about value addition being the most important takeaway from MBA course, the saf reality is that the reputation of a good college depends a hell lot on its placement record. It is extremely difficult to place students with gap years in good compnies and roles and that is the reason why good colleges do care about gap. Not only tier 1 but tier 2 colleges also care about it.
  • Also I am very poor as far as interviews are concerned. I dont have any problem with articulation per se. But I am socially awkward. Recently, I have come to realize I might be suffering from ADHD.

    bhai,

    dont take me wrong Corporate interviews are tough nut to Crack. Unlike Civils they want super fluent and articulate individual with lots of self-confidence. Within IIM the fight will be immense. If it was IIM BLACK then one can land into average jobs if not stellar but in new IIM there will be a few decent jobs for which the whole batch will fight and then profile ( male + Engineer) comes into picture
    give it a decent shot. If you convert IIM Ranchi or T join it
    IIT Delhi is good in fact IIT M is good baki could be problem
    PS: Alums of new IIMs please don't target me. I am advising based on the profile and overall perception in the market
    i agree but i hv no option. it seems to me that technical was always my forte. so i would try getting excellent at some technical aspect like operations research.. i m myself btech from industrial engineering from iitd.. hopefully that might help... a research based career is also what i m looking for. but i agree to your view. i shdnt be deluded about the competition or the lack of it. but still i will give it a shot just for the sake of excellency somewhere with reasonable monetary incentives..
  • and yes new iims and roi is an important trade off.i think a big university like iit will be better with diverse oppotunities.
  • edited January 30

    Also I am very poor as far as interviews are concerned. I dont have any problem with articulation per se. But I am socially awkward. Recently, I have come to realize I might be suffering from ADHD.

    bhai,

    dont take me wrong Corporate interviews are tough nut to Crack. Unlike Civils they want super fluent and articulate individual with lots of self-confidence. Within IIM the fight will be immense. If it was IIM BLACK then one can land into average jobs if not stellar but in new IIM there will be a few decent jobs for which the whole batch will fight and then profile ( male + Engineer) comes into picture
    give it a decent shot. If you convert IIM Ranchi or T join it
    IIT Delhi is good in fact IIT M is good baki could be problem
    PS: Alums of new IIMs please don't target me. I am advising based on the profile and overall perception in the market
    i agree but i hv no option. it seems to me that technical was always my forte. so i would try getting excellent at some technical aspect like operations research.. i m myself btech from industrial engineering from iitd.. hopefully that might help... a research based career is also what i m looking for. but i agree to your view. i shdnt be deluded about the competition or the lack of it. but still i will give it a shot just for the sake of excellency somewhere with reasonable monetary incentives..
    Cook up a story for IIM interview. IIT tag can help you to sail thru
    Why MBA is most important questions ?
    Then counter questions if you have good story around it you can be through
    Avoid disclosing Civils prep, Prof generally want those who want placement and corporate oriented.
    If you have got great acads play on it during interviews
    IIT D and IIT M MBA are good for operations. I will rate IIT B and D higher than IIM Ranchi - Location is important factor
    In IIM Ranchi and Trichy with IIT tag i guess u can survive. But with caveat its new IIMs things aren't as rosy as ET or TOI posts
    PS: I hope u get thru IAS itself this year :smile:
  • andy133 said:

    Bhai i just have an info for you. Please consider it before you take big decisions. If u manage to get into any tier 1 MBA college with 4 years of gap, you will face a really really hard time during placements. 80-90 % companies will not shortlist you for interviews. When it comes to MBA placements, 1 year gap is a blunder, 2 years is a crime and here you have a solid 4 years of gap.
    Do consider it before you take a decision.

    what kind of gap u r talking about here? does it include the time when an applicant engages him/herself in some other job?
  • Tensachz said:

    andy133 said:

    Bhai i just have an info for you. Please consider it before you take big decisions. If u manage to get into any tier 1 MBA college with 4 years of gap, you will face a really really hard time during placements. 80-90 % companies will not shortlist you for interviews. When it comes to MBA placements, 1 year gap is a blunder, 2 years is a crime and here you have a solid 4 years of gap.
    Do consider it before you take a decision.

    what kind of gap u r talking about here? does it include the time when an applicant engages him/herself in some other job?
    Gap for someone is the time period when he/she is neither enrolled in a regular full time Professional /Academic course nor got a regular full time job.

    Preparing fulltime for IAS in Old Rajinder Nagar is considered "gap".
  • 1ManArmy said:

    Tensachz said:

    andy133 said:

    Bhai i just have an info for you. Please consider it before you take big decisions. If u manage to get into any tier 1 MBA college with 4 years of gap, you will face a really really hard time during placements. 80-90 % companies will not shortlist you for interviews. When it comes to MBA placements, 1 year gap is a blunder, 2 years is a crime and here you have a solid 4 years of gap.
    Do consider it before you take a decision.

    what kind of gap u r talking about here? does it include the time when an applicant engages him/herself in some other job?
    Gap for someone is the time period when he/she is neither enrolled in a regular full time Professional /Academic course nor got a regular full time job.

    Preparing fulltime for IAS in Old Rajinder Nagar is considered "gap".
    just after graduation job in one of the oil and gas psu, then resigned after a few months for prep of cse..gave next year cse and ese...qualified ese and now in railways for around 2 yrs..so, the time period between resignation from psu and the result for ese was around 1 yr and 3 months but till the joining came it around 2 yrs..now, how much gap would be considered in this case and to what level it will hinder mba admission prospects?
  • Tensachz said:

    1ManArmy said:

    Tensachz said:

    andy133 said:

    Bhai i just have an info for you. Please consider it before you take big decisions. If u manage to get into any tier 1 MBA college with 4 years of gap, you will face a really really hard time during placements. 80-90 % companies will not shortlist you for interviews. When it comes to MBA placements, 1 year gap is a blunder, 2 years is a crime and here you have a solid 4 years of gap.
    Do consider it before you take a decision.

    what kind of gap u r talking about here? does it include the time when an applicant engages him/herself in some other job?
    Gap for someone is the time period when he/she is neither enrolled in a regular full time Professional /Academic course nor got a regular full time job.

    Preparing fulltime for IAS in Old Rajinder Nagar is considered "gap".
    just after graduation job in one of the oil and gas psu, then resigned after a few months for prep of cse..gave next year cse and ese...qualified ese and now in railways for around 2 yrs..so, the time period between resignation from psu and the result for ese was around 1 yr and 3 months but till the joining came it around 2 yrs..now, how much gap would be considered in this case and to what level it will hinder mba admission prospects?
    You got into Engineering Services through UPSC. You justified the gap you took to prepare for UPSC by getting into the services. And working with the same for 2 years. What more to ask for!

    You're good to go to.
  • why dont u join ISB? if u have exp
  • 1ManArmy said:

    Tensachz said:

    1ManArmy said:

    Tensachz said:

    andy133 said:

    Bhai i just have an info for you. Please consider it before you take big decisions. If u manage to get into any tier 1 MBA college with 4 years of gap, you will face a really really hard time during placements. 80-90 % companies will not shortlist you for interviews. When it comes to MBA placements, 1 year gap is a blunder, 2 years is a crime and here you have a solid 4 years of gap.
    Do consider it before you take a decision.

    what kind of gap u r talking about here? does it include the time when an applicant engages him/herself in some other job?
    Gap for someone is the time period when he/she is neither enrolled in a regular full time Professional /Academic course nor got a regular full time job.

    Preparing fulltime for IAS in Old Rajinder Nagar is considered "gap".
    just after graduation job in one of the oil and gas psu, then resigned after a few months for prep of cse..gave next year cse and ese...qualified ese and now in railways for around 2 yrs..so, the time period between resignation from psu and the result for ese was around 1 yr and 3 months but till the joining came it around 2 yrs..now, how much gap would be considered in this case and to what level it will hinder mba admission prospects?
    You got into Engineering Services through UPSC. You justified the gap you took to prepare for UPSC by getting into the services. And working with the same for 2 years. What more to ask for!

    You're good to go to.
    thanks.
  • have u tried FMS ?
  • Tensachz said:

    1ManArmy said:

    Tensachz said:

    1ManArmy said:

    Tensachz said:

    andy133 said:

    Bhai i just have an info for you. Please consider it before you take big decisions. If u manage to get into any tier 1 MBA college with 4 years of gap, you will face a really really hard time during placements. 80-90 % companies will not shortlist you for interviews. When it comes to MBA placements, 1 year gap is a blunder, 2 years is a crime and here you have a solid 4 years of gap.
    Do consider it before you take a decision.

    what kind of gap u r talking about here? does it include the time when an applicant engages him/herself in some other job?
    Gap for someone is the time period when he/she is neither enrolled in a regular full time Professional /Academic course nor got a regular full time job.

    Preparing fulltime for IAS in Old Rajinder Nagar is considered "gap".
    just after graduation job in one of the oil and gas psu, then resigned after a few months for prep of cse..gave next year cse and ese...qualified ese and now in railways for around 2 yrs..so, the time period between resignation from psu and the result for ese was around 1 yr and 3 months but till the joining came it around 2 yrs..now, how much gap would be considered in this case and to what level it will hinder mba admission prospects?
    You got into Engineering Services through UPSC. You justified the gap you took to prepare for UPSC by getting into the services. And working with the same for 2 years. What more to ask for!

    You're good to go to.
    thanks.
    Godspeed
  • 1ManArmy said:

    Tensachz said:

    1ManArmy said:

    Tensachz said:

    1ManArmy said:

    Tensachz said:

    andy133 said:

    Bhai i just have an info for you. Please consider it before you take big decisions. If u manage to get into any tier 1 MBA college with 4 years of gap, you will face a really really hard time during placements. 80-90 % companies will not shortlist you for interviews. When it comes to MBA placements, 1 year gap is a blunder, 2 years is a crime and here you have a solid 4 years of gap.
    Do consider it before you take a decision.

    what kind of gap u r talking about here? does it include the time when an applicant engages him/herself in some other job?
    Gap for someone is the time period when he/she is neither enrolled in a regular full time Professional /Academic course nor got a regular full time job.

    Preparing fulltime for IAS in Old Rajinder Nagar is considered "gap".
    just after graduation job in one of the oil and gas psu, then resigned after a few months for prep of cse..gave next year cse and ese...qualified ese and now in railways for around 2 yrs..so, the time period between resignation from psu and the result for ese was around 1 yr and 3 months but till the joining came it around 2 yrs..now, how much gap would be considered in this case and to what level it will hinder mba admission prospects?
    You got into Engineering Services through UPSC. You justified the gap you took to prepare for UPSC by getting into the services. And working with the same for 2 years. What more to ask for!

    You're good to go to.
    thanks.
    Godspeed
    i am one of those who want their answers as soon as they post their queries and keep waiting for them desperately :smiley:
  • I meant "Good luck!".
    Screenshot_20180131-000218.png
    1080 x 1920 - 196K
  • 1ManArmy said:

    I meant "Good luck!".</blockquote

    ohh..thanks again for both-the wishes and adding a new word to my vocab list :)

  • guys any story of startups, family business, responsibilities + cse prep = hence the gap.. will it not work?

    If not then please say the truth. wherever you get admission go there. Dont think too much - say the truth. Although you will be selected in cse, but even if you will have to take admission you will leave every other student behind.
    And remember you havent done any crime by preparing for cse. Your brackground will help.

    IPS in making
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog