Registration : Open Test by ForumIAS – May 24 | Online + Offline FEW DAYS BEFORE THE PRELIMS by CSE Rank 373 : SURYAWANSHI MAYUR
Online/Offline Batch Enrollment For Focussed Foundation Program 2019 (limited seats available)
Click Here :- Details | Register | Download Brochure
Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE Prelim's 18 courses. Click on the below link for details -

(1) Last Lap Current Affairs for Prelims 2018           (2) Science and Technology for Mains 2018 & Prelims 2019
(3) Comprehensive module for Ancient, Medieval, Modern History - Pre+Mains    (4) Concepts + latest developments in Environment/Ecology (Pre & Mains)
(5) Class 6-12 NCERT Summary for all the Subjects -Mains 18 & Prelims 19     (6) Important Topics for Mains GS Paper 2 and 3
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now

Video : Interview Preparation - Some Key Facts to keep in Mind

Hello All,

I have been working with multiple small groups of Forum Members for Interview Preparation. I am a little concerned and would like to point out a few things with respect to preparation for the Interview.

I have written a blog post on it. It may not make sense to a lot of you, especially if you have never appeared in the interview. and it will make total sense to you if you have spent some years in service.

I decided to put this down in writing for some time, on the request of some friends who were able to secure super good marks in the interview and asked me to pen this down for their friends who are appearing for the Interview this year.

Here it is.

http://blog.forumias.com/ias-interview-honesty-and-simplicity-is-the-key-here-is-why/

Please feel free to go through this and discuss and debate. we already have a pretty heated up discussion going on the Forum telegram Group for Interview Prep :)

You do not have to agree to all of it, but it is a good idea to pick up what suits you / what you can implement.
*No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |

Comments

• Also, please note that if you are in the 21-24 age group, giving your first interview, its okay to be a little less prepared, and maybe immature too.

But for those who are 28+, it is expected that you are more mature in the outlook and in your answers, especially if its not your first interview.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Really confused....after so many advises.....aise hi mains me kam marks aaye honge.............uspar se this and that.....koi kahta hai be pragmatic.. Koi kahta hai idealistic.. ( do legally right)......soch raha agar board wala puccha why ias tu bol dunga..gharwalo ne kaha tha
  • @Neyawn Saw the video. Did make a lot of sense. Cutting out the fat and not singing like a bird.
    Let us say the question asked is why have you filled 99 (no preference) for kashmir and North East ( like your case study of aiims Ranchi)
    Honest answer-
    1. Instability (desh seva ke sath thodi stability chahie zindagi mey)
    2. If given (get a low rank) accept it. But if I get a high rank, then why not stay in a good state.
    The board members know this is the reason- yes. Instability.

What to do then. To avoid being honest or not.
  • samosaa said:

@Neyawn Saw the video. Did make a lot of sense. Cutting out the fat and not singing like a bird.
    Let us say the question asked is why have you filled 99 (no preference) for kashmir and North East ( like your case study of aiims Ranchi)
    Honest answer-
    2. If given (get a low rank) accept it. But if I get a high rank, then why not stay in a good state.

Glad that you asked. I will
    Not and cannot give a fixed answers here on a public platform because of a large number of people say the same thing, then that is what creates trouble.

Plus if you do not understand why you should say this, you must not say it.

I also don’t expect it to make sense to everyone except those who have appeared for the interview before, and hence I did not put the video in public domain .

I can tell you that a candidate when asked why he has put North East in the end, simply said

Sir, it is a little far from my home state , and I would prefer to stay closer to home and family.

Both he and his wife are in Punjab Cadre in the IAS.

The point is that such answers as well as such applications are given after being selected also for deputation posting, and is accepted as valid.

I mean let us say you get North East Cadre and want to go for deputation to North India / home state, and if you have to provide a reason , you do write that I would like to spend some time with my parents and family , closer home and is accepted as a valid reason .

On the other hand , if you write something like “Punjab is going through a agrarians crisis and I want to rescue it “ and shit like that , you are likely to be reprimanded and even scolded By Personnel secretary and even will be asked to re-submit your application.

If you have followed the forum, you would remember that one person on being asked by Alka Sirohi board, what were the problems being faced by forest dwellers, he said that ma’am I have never lived outside Delhi and I don’t know the problems faced by forest dwellers , did get good marks in IFoS.

I am not saying that you should repeat what he said, but that is an okay answer too.

Are you on the telegram group?
  • Neyawn said:

Also, please note that if you are in the 21-24 age group, giving your first interview, its okay to be a little less prepared, and maybe immature too.

But for those who are 28+, it is expected that you are more mature in the outlook and in your answers, especially if its not your first interview.

May I join the telegram group? If yes then please provide the link.
  • edited January 26
    @Neyawn You have created some form of turbulence in the mind of candidates with that video. Plz give the telegram group link. I have lot of doubts.
    "Unpredictable" Public Service Commission and Uncertain Future.
  • Neyawn said:

Hello All,

I have been working with multiple small group of Forum Members for Interview Preparation. I am a little concerned and would like to point out a few things with respect to preparation for the Interview.

I am written a blog post on it. It may not make sense to a lot of you , especially if you have never appeared for the interview. and it will make total sense to you if you have spent some years in service.

I decided to put this down in writing for sometime, on the request of some friends who were able to secure super good marks in the interview , and asked me to pen this down for their friends who are appearing for the Interview this year.

Here it is.

http://blog.forumias.com/ias-interview-honesty-and-simplicity-is-the-key-here-is-why/

Please feel free to go through this and discuss and debate. we already have a pretty heated up discussion going on the Forum telegram Group for Inetrview Prep :)

You do not have to agree to all of it, but it is a good idea to pick up what suits you / what you can implement.

@neyawn bhai, you have hit the bull's eye. Although people realise such things only after few attempts have gotten wasted or after coming to service. hum upar upar ki baath karte rehte hain, aur requirement kuchh or hoti hai. Par ye sab naukri ke baad pata chalta hai. i have made exactly same mistakes, and learned from it only after 2-3 attempts.

apko maine telegram pe ping kiya hai 3 din pehle, but yet to get a reply. please try to help as this is my last attempt, and have decided not to write any further. age bhi nikalti ja rahi hai aur ab padhai bhi utni nahi ho pati hai. i will not take much time.

@Vakkoda
    contact yo_yo bhai he is handling the telegram group.
  • Vakkoda said:

@Neyawn You have created some form of turbulence in the mind of candidates with that video. Plz give the telegram group link. I have lot of doubts.

+1
  • Vakkoda said:

+1
    Pick up what makes sense to you leave what does not.

Also I recommend that wherever you are taking mocks be it ForumIAS or Chanakya , try to request the people to allow you to observe at least 1-2 candidates by being a mute spectator and sit on the other side of the table.

A lot of it will
    Make sense to you.

I have done this with a few candidates.
  • Neyawn Sir.
    This makes absolute sense to me. I ve not encountered anything like this in publuc forum. Its a gem.
    I ve experienced same thing in other Govt Interview:
    1. SSB for Army: Asked why you want to join. Said " Will provide good facilities for the family and good salary plus variety in Job". Result Selected. This was advice given by a very learned person. He said try to segregate your answers and be practical.
    2. UPSC CAPF : Why want to join CAPF, he said bcoz there are scarcity of job in Pvt Sector. Selected.

Thanks for putting this video out.
  • Wow, thank you so much for this video sir.
    Rank 267 (CSE 2017). First attempt.
    Time for the 2nd and final round.
  • Neyawn said:

Hello All,

I have been working with multiple small group of Forum Members for Interview Preparation. I am a little concerned and would like to point out a few things with respect to preparation for the Interview.

I am written a blog post on it. It may not make sense to a lot of you , especially if you have never appeared for the interview. and it will make total sense to you if you have spent some years in service.

I decided to put this down in writing for sometime, on the request of some friends who were able to secure super good marks in the interview , and asked me to pen this down for their friends who are appearing for the Interview this year.

Here it is.

Please feel free to go through this and discuss and debate. we already have a pretty heated up discussion going on the Forum telegram Group for Inetrview Prep :)

How a dimond cutter doesn't let the diamond lose it's sheen even if he works on the road. :p This is a gem. Thanks.
    You know what they say
  • "All people who want to add their known friends who have written this year's mains in this group, should follow this prescribed route:

1. Mail your latest DAF to student@forumias.academy along with other basic details like Name, Roll No. And Your Mobile Number.

2. After this is done very shortly you will receive a link on your ID. (Wait for 1-2 days at maximum)

3. In case it is not received you can ping any admin of the group. Mine profile address is @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh (on telegram).

Thankyou.

PS- Please follow standard procedure because it was intended for some good reasons only. (1. To keep only those who have actually written mains this year. 2. If possible forumias academy MAY provide some valuable DAF analysis/Questions to people at a later time.) "

An old message from the group. :smile:

PS- Many people are sending PM to me. Hence this copy-paste here itself. :smile:
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
  • samosaa said:

@Neyawn Saw the video. Did make a lot of sense. Cutting out the fat and not singing like a bird.
    Honest answer-

Honesty is good, but sometimes honesty can land you in trouble. This is where diplomacy comes in.

Instability can occur at any place and at any time. Riots, Violence, Terrorism activities. You never know.

Like J & K and NE, Every place has it's fair share of problems.

If you are saying that instability is the reason for you to not opt these cadres, it may not send a good signal to the board. From coward to biased, opinions can be many.

Instead, like neyawn sir said, you can just say you prefer being near your home state and that you dont have preferences for those states and you will be happy to serve anywhere.
  • @Neyawn : Sir the video is quite insightful, especially for somebody living far away from Delhi.

It is requested to please share the other lectures too which were conducted on PT preparations.

If possible they can be offered as a classroom course for the benefit of all the candidates specifically who are working and/or are located outside Delhi.

thanks & regards,
    lucki
    The train to Mussoorie will be leaving shortly....
  • @Neyawn Thank you.
    "Unpredictable" Public Service Commission and Uncertain Future.
  • hello, i have to join the interview guidance program. my interview is on the 19 th February. since, forum's physical venue has shut down as of now, whom do i approach. Thanks
  • Thank you @Neyawn for the reply!

No, I am not a member of the telegram group! Will do as yo yo choti singh has mentioned.
  • @Neyawn sir. Why the video is not working ??
  • How to join forum's interview program (offline)
    Interview in April..
  • edited January 30
    http://blog.forumias.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Interview-Assistance-Program-PDF-1.pdf
    skydiver said:

How to join forum's interview program (offline)
    Interview in April..

• tsrsingh said:

http://blog.forumias.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Interview-Assistance-Program-PDF-1.pdf

skydiver said:

How to join forum's interview program (offline)
    Interview in April..

How do they conduct in online mode?
  • Just enrolled for the interview programme. Whom to contact to schedule the first session?
  • Dear Aspirants/Friends ,
    1. An interactive guidance session for candidates from Bih-Jhk appearing in CS Interview will be held at 10:00 AM on Saturday, 10th Feb at 2nd floor meeting room, Bihar Niwas. Senior Civil Servants from Bihar and Jharkhand will be there to guide them & conduct mock interviews also.

2. Interested candidates should WhatsApp their details in the format (Name, Phone No, State, District, Optional, Date of Interview) to Sh Rohit Jha at 99993 80432‬ or Sh Gannath Jha ‭at 097714 28101‬ Those in touch with such candidates, may kindly share this message with them.

Regards
    Madhukar Anand IRS 2015 , ITS 2014
  • Maddy said:

Dear Aspirants/Friends ,
    1. An interactive guidance session for candidates from Bih-Jhk appearing in CS Interview will be held at 10:00 AM on Saturday, 10th Feb at 2nd floor meeting room, Bihar Niwas. Senior Civil Servants from Bihar and Jharkhand will be there to guide them & conduct mock interviews also.

2. Interested candidates should WhatsApp their details in the format (Name, Phone No, State, District, Optional, Date of Interview) to Sh Rohit Jha at 99993 80432‬ or Sh Gannath Jha ‭at 097714 28101‬ Those in touch with such candidates, may kindly share this message with them.

Regards

Thanks for doing this @maddy

Would be curious to know who all are organising it
  • Maddy said:

Dear Aspirants/Friends ,

Regards

thanks sir..
  • Neyawn said:

Maddy said:

Dear Aspirants/Friends ,

Regards

Thanks for doing this @maddy

Would be curious to know who all are organising it
    It is organised by an National Association of Civil Servants from Bihar & Jharkand ( NACS) which is a voluntary association of about 500 members
  • Neyawn said:

Hello All,

I have been working with multiple small groups of Forum Members for Interview Preparation. I am a little concerned and would like to point out a few things with respect to preparation for the Interview.

I have written a blog post on it. It may not make sense to a lot of you, especially if you have never appeared in the interview. and it will make total sense to you if you have spent some years in service.

I decided to put this down in writing for some time, on the request of some friends who were able to secure super good marks in the interview and asked me to pen this down for their friends who are appearing for the Interview this year.

Here it is.

Please feel free to go through this and discuss and debate. we already have a pretty heated up discussion going on the Forum telegram Group for Interview Prep :)

Current Affairs 2018 Click Here
  • Current Affairs 2018 Click Here
  • Neyawn said:

Hello All,

Here it is.

Time Table 2017-2018 Click Here
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog