How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class

Basketball as hobby for CSM 2017 Interview Preparation

Anyone having basketball as hobby - please discuss here on possible questions, problems in this sport, federation battles etc.

We can have a telegram group if there are more people.
Prelims - 3 - 2015, 2016, 2017
Mains - 2 - 2016, 2017
Interview -1 - 2017

Comments

• Anyone?
    Mains - 2 - 2016, 2017
    Interview -1 - 2017
  • I am not giving interview; infact didnt even clear prelims, but I used to play basketball and am a passionate follower of the game. So can contribute my bit. But I need the leads to build upon.
  • edited January 25
    Ha, finally. @kake Never mind about the interview status - passion for the game is that matters. I haven't been following the latest updates but do have an outline about what to prepare for. Please add more points.

1. Problems endemic to the sport in India
    2. Factional fight in the BFI
    3. UBA Pro - turn out, success or not, how it can help in bringing popularity to the game.
    4. Performance of India in Asian/ World tourneys
    5. Why a country like Philippines or Iran is able to outperform India in this sport.
    6. Future of the sport
    Mains - 2 - 2016, 2017
    Interview -1 - 2017
  • 8. Indians in NBA and NBA Academy/ reachout in/to India;

9. General issues/inputs/observations relevant (in general for all sports except CRICKET ;) )-

9.1) don't we value a sportsperson (give them a menial job- railway TT, for eg), after all why does he even need to do a job at all (Anurag Kashyap's Mukkabaaz can also be cited)

9.2) It is not even infrastructure intensive- can pick up with with a decent nudge/support

9.3) it is surprising that it is popular in school, college level but post that the enthusiasm fizzles out. India ranks a good 64/145 (some years back it ranked 45-50).

9.4) Except traditional sports (wrestling), sports which have caught imagination for decades (cricket, hockey) and sports where individuals have catapulted on self effort(badminton, shooting, tennis etc), others need (and I vehemently state this) state/PPP Support

9.5) BFI need to be radically restructured- it is headed by a politician (as are other sports bodies)- WTF

10. specific example vis-a-vis Indian basketball-
    # some years back I came across a news item where an Indian basketball player was contemplating a career in fashion ( hoopsters are lambe-chaude and obviously owing to lack of opportunities in the game)- obviously things are changing now
    # Support to the sport is missing- eg- was not included in CWG 2010 ( India me hone ke bawajood)

I have very random, unorganized thoughts and opinion as of now. But yes I can contribute further as issues refine.
  • Those are really good points especially 9.2, 9.3 and 9.4. Need to deliberate on these topics. Glad that we can get this thread going. May become a reference point for future interview candidates.

What do you think about lack of height/physique being a factor affecting our players' ability to become world class athletes. How can we address it from grassroots level.
    Mains - 2 - 2016, 2017
    Interview -1 - 2017
  • Physique is no doubt important in any sport (specifics vary with sport). As far as basketball is concerned, I think we are a country that is endowed with decent physical parameters. The issue is training, coaching at the right time. Even that wouldn't work (for eg- we can bring in foreign coaches, put up infrastructure etc) unless players (sportsmen in general) have the comfort of not navigating between their sport and a career ( padhe likhe bina kuch nahi hota- this attitude has to go); Isn't Satnam Singh excelling in America (NBA G-League; I myself have witnessed his game improve by leaps and bounds- US, obviously has one of the best ecosystems for that)- he was on a scholarship to US and is earning handsomely there now. At the same time, there were/are many players who were not fortunate enough to land up there- look u for T.J Sahi (youtube- self made basketball player; given similr kind of ecosystem support he too would have excelled)
    Also, there are many countries- not that naturally endowed vis-a-vis height etc- Phillipines, Korea, Japan etc but they still fare better than us.
    Therefore accordin to me, the kind of changes (all revolve around the ECOSYSTEM that is desired) required are

1. Fundamental attitudinal change (as mentioned above) in society (theoretical point but yes req.- also would take time, not doubt)- but that can be addressed through govt intervention (as the attitude owes its origin to lack of opportunity rather than some strongly held beliefs)

1. Grassroots
    1.1 school level- in curriculum, pedagogy- sports period is sub-altern to academic periods (we know this stark reality). Platforms exist (zonal, district, national competitions)- but these need to be invigorated- children performing good there can be institutionally supported- hand held, guided, scouted and coached, without worrying for an academic career- which can be addressed (as mentioned below) (My personal case- when used to skip school to play zonals- I was marked absent- sheer insensitivity)
    1.2 University- Majority of US Olympic champs are univ grads; In India- univ me toh sports ke naam pe keval wo hi khelta hai jo pehle se trained ho; the point is- the second chance wherein fruitful interventions can take place i.e. univ- is altogether cut-off from the sports consciousness.

3.Policy/State Support- restructuring BFI, flagship talent scouting/training (through self or collaborating with say, NBA). It can even support UBA- which is a good initiative. Concessions, for eg- tax breaks, land and other facilities for eg, to leverage NBA (eg- basketball without borders program)

3.1) Potential talent selected across India- can be coached and their aptitude further developed. I agree not all can play for India, so there can be a system of gradation, parallel academic opportunities, nurturing league systme (eg-UBA, again) to absorb remaining talent etc

3.1 This suggestion is a bit radical, but why differentiate between different sports. All eligible sportsmen (across al sports) can be paid a regular salary. They aren't doing something which- even if not a direct utility to society (though I feel it is)- is not worth paying them handsomely.

I know I have digressed a lot form the agenda (these can be addressed separtely). The crude point is, it is not the lack of physical attributes, rather it is the following factors that have stymied development of sports like basketbal
    1. Culture/Attitude
    2. Lack of infra and policy support
    3. Lack of world class training- which leads to even natural talent being not/sub-optimally utilized
    4. Lack of economic security

Lessons can be drawn from US, Australia, China (selectively though- we dont want athlete producing "factories")

• edited January 25
    @kake

You have summed up really well. The culture/attitude part is a major factor I believe, one that is the cause for Philippines being better than India because of its past as an American colony while we ended up with cricket.

1. About TJ Sahi, when I started it was S Robinson, who also couldn't make it big in the international stage. There is always this question - what could have been if these players were identified earlier and given proper coaching and perhaps given overseas scholarships like what is happening now.

2. There is definitely change happening and UBA is revolutionary much like ISL. Because basketball is such an attractive or 'cool' sport, there is no dearth of takers for it in schools. There has to be a system like in the West where players are offered seats in colleges (in sports or other disciplines) before they finish high school so that they don't feel threatened by the competitive exam process to get into colleges.

3. Much needed reforms in BFI and other similar sports bodies.

4. About the grassroots part, I feel the competition among Basketball is restricted to certain select schools who have that basketball culture. There is a need for top down as well bottom up approach in engaging schools in taking up basketball coaching seriously. Most govt schools have dilapidated courts with either 1 ring or no ring at all. So building infrastructure part is very pertinent and at the same time creating an ecosystem among the schools to make them compete for honors.

I have to agree with all your other points here. Thanks man. This has become a panacea for interview prep and in general discussion about the state of affairs of sports in our country. All the above points are applicable to every other sport except cricket.
    Mains - 2 - 2016, 2017
    Interview -1 - 2017
  • yeah. all the best for you interview bro. Would contribute further to this cause here.
    P.S. missing prelims give me ample time to follow NBA ;) :D
  • and play too ;)
  • kake said:

yeah. all the best for you interview bro. Would contribute further to this cause here.
    P.S. missing prelims give me ample time to follow NBA ;) :D

Thanks bhai. Been a while since I too watched NBA and play :neutral:
    Mains - 2 - 2016, 2017
    Interview -1 - 2017
  • nice points mentioned above but i dont think basketball these days is a game of physique these days many players not only in us but in India also have defied the so called physique related mentality major problem with the indian players as i myself have played till nationals is that when they play for India they have this attitude problem .If u take the example of the current Indian basketball team most of the players are based in Dehradun and i know how much they are into alcohol and all .Well i have high hopes from amyjot singh currently playing the g league and also palpreet singh brar can also places and we should not only be limited to NBA considering the example of BALL brothers there father sent them to Lithunia we have to shift focus from NBA to other leagues reach upto a certain level and then can go for the tryouts in NBA .Currently there are many NBA players who are playing in Chinese league so i think there defintely has to be attitudinal change from the players side also
  • edited January 26

nice points mentioned above but i dont think basketball these days is a game of physique these days many players not only in us but in India also have defied the so called physique related mentality major problem with the indian players as i myself have played till nationals is that when they play for India they have this attitude problem .If u take the example of the current Indian basketball team most of the players are based in Dehradun and i know how much they are into alcohol and all .Well i have high hopes from amyjot singh currently playing the g league and also palpreet singh brar can also places and we should not only be limited to NBA considering the example of BALL brothers there father sent them to Lithunia we have to shift focus from NBA to other leagues reach upto a certain level and then can go for the tryouts in NBA .Currently there are many NBA players who are playing in Chinese league so i think there defintely has to be attitudinal change from the players side also

@Sagar Sharma - So there is an attitudinal problem among players and they have to become professional in their approach to realize their dreams - is the point you have made which I think is true because I have seen players playing while drunk at Zonal-Univ levels and the prevailing culture is to get drunk, make fights and pass out after every game. Only few players are professional, ones that come from schools/colleges with strict disciplinary regime.

About getting into other leagues like Euroleague and China, this will provide much needed exposure to the players but these players have to be sent early in their careers through club/federation level associations with those leagues. Once we get some real icons in our country through such measures (Yao Ming for China), the sport will become popular to sustain on its own.
    Mains - 2 - 2016, 2017
    Interview -1 - 2017
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog