Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open! Community Meet 3 – June 10th | 2PM | Meet Anudeep, Abhishek, Sachin, Apurva and Ankita Mishra & the Toppers of CSE 2017

Need Help Regarding a Dilemma

I am 26 year old guy. Have failed thrice in mains with geography as optional. This year i have to join CAPF (AC). Cant take extension as already taken for a year. So now i have following dilemma
1) whether to join it or not?
2) if joining whether to appear for cse this year or not?
3) to change optional or not? I am thinking of taking anthropology. As i think i have given geography my all.
4) if taking anthro should i take coaching or not?
5) or should i prepare for forest services solely while joining capf (
cleared pre this time but failed mains)

For two days i have been pondering over it and now i am in position that i am unable to think of anything. So guys kindly help me.

Comments

• @jaguarr upsc is too big a gamble now, hard work alone is no guarantee to clear mains, you pretty much know it now. AC CAPF is a grp A service which you shouldnt dump at any cost. Had i been in your place, i would have joined it, drop geog and take anthro, drop 2018 attempt and come back in 2019 with better writing practice and short notes for anthro. This way you can play pretty safe. I did the mistake of giving consecutive attempts just to end the frustration asap, but its better to have patience and keep options open in such an uncertain game.
  • edited January 13
    1. Yes, 101%.
    2.No. Enjoy the next year. Make your mind calm and out of this tardy cycle.
    3.Yes change it. But only after seeing your marks this year. If it is reasonably low this year then go for changing it immidiately.
    4. Yes you should if possible.
    5. Next 1 yr give only to training and personal life then only decide on this question.

I can't be any more brief and specific then it. :) ATB
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
  • 1. Yes, 101%.
    2.No. Enjoy the next year. Make your mind calm and out of this tardy cycle.
    3.Yes change it. But only after seeing your marks this year. If it is reasonably low this year then go for changing it immidiately.
    4. Yes you should if possible.
    5. Next 1 yr give only to training and personal life then only decide on this question.

I can't be any more brief and specific then it. :) ATB

+1
    Sound advice.
    Prelims - 2015 | 2016 | 2017
    Mains - 2016 | 2017
    Interview - 2016 | 2017
    Final list - X
  • F5 said:

@jaguarr upsc is too big a gamble now, hard work alone is no guarantee to clear mains, you pretty much know it now. AC CAPF is a grp A service which you shouldnt dump at any cost. Had i been in your place, i would have joined it, drop geog and take anthro, drop 2018 attempt and come back in 2019 with better writing practice and short notes for anthro. This way you can play pretty safe. I did the mistake of giving consecutive attempts just to end the frustration asap, but its better to have patience and keep options open in such an uncertain game.

Agree with this. This is a sensible advice @,jaguarr Also @,Yo yo 's advice is same .
  • never drop something that is already in hand. ask the importance of capf for a person who has exhausted his age and attempts.
  • never drop something that is already in hand. ask the importance of capf for a person who has exhausted his age and attempts.

+111
  • I am 25 years and 4 months can i give capf ac... Category obc
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog