Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE courses. Click below for details -
(1) Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude (2) Ancient, Medieval History, Art and Culture (3) Modern Indian History
(4) Current Affairs April 2017 to May 2018 (5) International Relations and Internal Security (6) Geography
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now.

ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

Dilemma

I had given prelims last year . But got majority 80% wrong. Howevever, once i sit down for studies i feel like doing many things, exploring different hobbies. Joining new classes.. and joining masters in H.R TISS or I.R from jnu. Then i think back that if civils will be manageable with tiss h.r or even with simple masters. I really want to have a certain career. Am already 27 yrs old. I also feel that either i can pursue civils and give serious attempts or do something else.

But then i ll feel regret that had i given my best to civils. Atleast i would hv some my best, then if i would leave it, there ll be no prob. I feel uncertain if i only prep fr civils.

Comments

• Kitni padhai kar ke 80% wrong aaye the ? kitne seconds/min/hours/days/months/years ki padhai ke baad prelims diya tha ?

Against Islamic terrorism, Hindu nation agenda of RSS, Communist bloodshed in Kerala and WB. Learning "how to become a rationalist".

हर हर महादेव | जय माँ भवानी |
  • edited January 13
    go for tiss mba in hr....if u get selected.
  • edited January 13
    80 % qsns wrong ho gaye..fir rehne do UPSC
  • what u have written displays confused articulation by a confused person...khud ko express to thik se karo.
  • Ye shwetakeepwalking ka v2 hai. Lol. :D
  • if you have no responsibilities, give 100% to UPSC.
    try very hard for prelims 2018 (140 days left). pick a test series and follow its plan for prelims (for some discipline). Clearing Prelims in 4 months will boost your confidence and you can then try your best for Mains subsequently, dont bother about optional or ethics at this moment. Prelims itself is a huge battle to survive!
    Make a decision and leave everything else if you have made it. Multitasking is to be avoided at all costs!
  • freeman said:

Can do better
  • edited January 13
    freeman said:

what u have written displays confused articulation by a confused person...khud ko express to thik se karo.

Yes am confused. Because wen i sit to prepare thinking upsc in mind. I see no goal post. Everything seems hazy to me..and wen i think of tiss or other masters exams, picture is clear i mean of preparing and sources and ways and respective career but inside there is lurking feeling that i have not given my best fr civils.. and that lil voice i should push hard and can do it. But wen see other oppurtunities like ngo jobs a good masters from tiss/ d.u/ jnu. It distracts my mind .. i feel as if i wont be able to do tiss and civils together. Then i feel stuck and feel like postponing of doing something from tiss.
    Since i attempted last year. I think i can appear next year in this exam.

I hv already wasted 3-4 yrs of my life . Just wanted to prep fr upsc. But went in figuring how. Really want to get in motion now.
  • freeman said:

Can do better
    Definitely. It is completely alright even if u get 100 % questions wrong. :blush: We learn and we improve.
    See, first u need to see if u have done the basic books properly. Ncerts and other books like laxmikant, spectrum etc. Make a list of the books required to be read from mrunal/forum/topper blogs etc. Then u need to complete topics and attempt prelims papers on those sections and see how u are scoring. After that analyze what kind of questions u are getting wrong. Then re-read the topics and attempt papers again. Practice, practice and practice till u cant get it wrong again.
    Next, about ur dilemma- see, this is something many of us face, when we have to decide whether to stick to preparation or start doing something else. For that, u need to ask urself some questions and get to know what u really desire. Do u want a job immediately, what is ur real passion, what were ur reasons for starting preparation for this, are those reasons still valid etc. After that, take a decision. U can either leave prep completely or take a break for some time (a year maybe) to make ur foundation strong, or do the two things simultaneously. Write down the pros and cons of each decision and see which one u r most comfortable with. One thing is for sure that upsc needs completely sincerity and dedication. A half hearted attempt will get u nowhere. So think properly and then decide.
    If ur only desire is to pursue some hobby, u can take up an evening class of 1 hour or so for the same or explore online options. This can surely be done along with preparation. It will benefit u during the interview as well. :)
    For courses, u can look at correspondence courses too.
    Also, somethings can be pursued even after getting into service. Infact there are many courses as part of the training itself. So dont feel that u will lose out on everything if u go forward with upsc.

P.S. simultaneously doing a regular course and upsc prep will not be easy at all. So choose wisely.
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • edited January 13
    @Queen doing a regular masters with upsc prep? A simple masters in a subject.

I hv already wasted 3-4 yrs of my life . Just wanted to prep fr upsc. But went in figuring how?? Really want to get in motion now.
  • @Queen doing a regular masters with upsc prep? A simple masters in a subject

I didnt get ur question.
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • edited January 13
    Queen said:

@Queen doing a regular masters with upsc prep? A simple masters in a subject

I didnt get ur question.
    I mean will it be difficult to pursue masters and upsc? Coz now i cant sit at home and just prepare . I want somwthing else with my prep.. otherwise i ll not study
  • There are two ways of getting in motion- either start preparing will full energy for 2018 or join another course altogether. U r 27, u will be 29 probably by the time u complete it. U will still be able to give upsc then. Choose what u really want.
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • Kira said:

if you have no responsibilities, give 100% to UPSC.
    try very hard for prelims 2018 (140 days left). pick a test series and follow its plan for prelims (for some discipline). Clearing Prelims in 4 months will boost your confidence and you can then try your best for Mains subsequently, dont bother about optional or ethics at this moment. Prelims itself is a huge battle to survive!
    Make a decision and leave everything else if you have made it. Multitasking is to be avoided at all costs!

+ 1
    Against Islamic terrorism, Hindu nation agenda of RSS, Communist bloodshed in Kerala and WB. Learning "how to become a rationalist".

हर हर महादेव | जय माँ भवानी |
  • @priyankakeepwalking join tiss, i think you need a break from upsc. Make some good friends at college and enjoy a bit there. As you got 80 % Qs wrong after decent preparation, going into 2018 cycle again might be risky with similar mindframe. Also remember that clearing pre isnt an end in itself. Mains is another way bigger and way more uncertain hurdle. You just cant limit yourself to upsc in this 4 GS papers era. Join TISS, give other exams like rbi, ssc, banking, state services and come back to upsc in 2019 with a renewed vigour. Dont be in a hurry to finish off your attempts. Every failure causes even more doubts and lack of self confidence.
  • edited January 13
    don't get influenced by the comments such as " u can do it " etc...lakhs of people are wasting their lives in UPSC just cz of this " can do it " spirit...even if their academic backgrnds have been poor

u can NOT clear prelims this year....forget UPSC this year...yes.u can improve but u will fail for sure...getting 80% qsns wrong shows u r almost illiterate in UPSC prep...so even if u wish to appear with some hope, try in 2019, 2018 is a hopeless case for u
  • showing ur vulnerability in open is most courageous act and i congratulate you for this .Now since you have identified your problem you must solve it. IMO you shall prioritize among job,higher education or upsc. You shall also focus on why of 80 percent wrong , can you deal that issue in 130 dayz or so.
    Like for me I failed in upsc more at battle of nerves then anything else.Beyond a level of preparation confidence becomes important.Which i lacked.
  • edited January 13

showing ur vulnerability in open is most courageous act and i congratulate you for this .Now since you have identified your problem you must solve it. IMO you shall prioritize among job,higher education or upsc. You shall also focus on why of 80 percent wrong , can you deal that issue in 130 dayz or so.
    Like for me I failed in upsc more at battle of nerves then anything else.Beyond a level of preparation confidence becomes important.Which i lacked.

@Abki_Safal @F5 For landing up in job market, one needs experience.. yeah but i can get a fine teaching job and even if i think of appearing in tiss that can only be in 2019 and not this year. And the course which i ll opt will be m.a in H.R which is hectic and with workload n will plc one in pvt company.. which means after that i wont get a good time fr upsc ever.

If i do simple masters in any academic subject that can still be balanced with upsc. But still after till how many attempts should i go far with upsc attempts. I'm ready to give exam wen am sure of giving it. I mean with some level atleast.
  • freeman said:

don't get influenced by the comments such as " u can do it " etc...lakhs of people are wasting their lives in UPSC just cz of this " can do it " spirit...even if their academic backgrnds have been poor

u can NOT clear prelims this year....forget UPSC this year...yes.u can improve but u will fail for sure...getting 80% qsns wrong shows u r almost illiterate in UPSC prep...so even if u wish to appear with some hope, try in 2019, 2018 is a hopeless case for u

U sounding hopeless.
  • freeman said:

U sounding hopeless.
    But what he said is true.
  • edited January 13
    @dpagarwal @freeman i am surely novice in comptv exam preparation. And yes i read everything last year just fr pre w/o understanding anything. I may be bad in analysing things but yet i know where am good or nice or can improve drastically but fr that i need time. I dont need others to scare me.
  • @dpagarwal @freeman i am surely novice in comptv exam preparation. And yes i read everything last year just fr pre w/o understanding anything. I may be bad in analysing things but yet i know where am good or nice or can improve drastically but fr that i need time. I dont need others to scare me.

u will fail in upsc prelims 2018..likh lo note kar lo...rest ur wish..
  • edited January 13

@dpagarwal @freeman i am surely novice in comptv exam preparation. And yes i read everything last year just fr pre w/o understanding anything. I may be bad in analysing things but yet i know where am good or nice or can improve drastically but fr that i need time. I dont need others to scare me.

Yaha poochkar ko confusion hi hoegi. I have no idea why people take so many opinions. Hotch potch nahi ho jata? Ultimately you'll keep rejecting the advices which you don't like, which means ki jaha se shuru hue wahin par fir hazir. Koi kya solve karga aisi dilemma ko. Ye to khud se hi solve hogi na yaar.
  • @dpagarwal @freeman i am surely novice in comptv exam preparation. And yes i read everything last year just fr pre w/o understanding anything. I may be bad in analysing things but yet i know where am good or nice or can improve drastically but fr that i need time. I dont need others to scare me.

Yaha poochkar ko confusion hi hoegi. I have no idea why people take so many opinions. Hotch potch nahi ho jata? Ultimately you'll keep rejecting the advices which you don't like, which means ki jaha se shuru hue wahin par fir hazir. Koi kya solve karga aisi dilemma ko. Ye to khud se hi solve hogi na yaar.
    exactly...people tend to believe only what they want to irrespective of the suggestions that they are provided..they don't want suggestions, they just want statements which gets in sync with their preconceived notions.
  • freeman said:

one of my friends severely criticised my approach in mains 2016, advised me to drop 2017 and go for backup, but i still went for the attempt and screwed it up yet again. classic case of vinaashkaale viprit buddhi.
  • F5 said:

freeman said:

one of my friends severely criticised my approach in mains 2016, advised me to drop 2017 and go for backup, but i still went for the attempt and screwed it up yet again. classic case of vinaashkaale viprit buddhi.
    haha...people don't heed to good intentioned expert advice..dats the prb
  • freeman said:

F5 said:

freeman said:

haha...people don't heed to good intentioned expert advice..dats the prb
    coz we think we know better.lol
    An act of stealth, a silent coup d'état
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog