Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open! Community Meet 3 – June 10th | 2PM | Meet Anudeep, Abhishek, Sachin, Apurva and Ankita Mishra & the Toppers of CSE 2017

Probable qualities that help some people consistently clear Mains

edited January 12 in Social, Tips & Support
Some people consistently make it through mains. So, my question is if such people ever wondered or tried to do some free-time analysis ever regarding what are some of their qualities that help them clear mains repeatedly ?

I have also seen people who failed initially in clearing mains, sometimes even twice or thrice, but since then been clearing it repeatedly. So which areas they focussed other than of-course the content which helped them clearing mains then always.

As for me, I have legible writing, pretty good content (at least average type in all my answers if not very good) and used well structures (even flowcharts and diagrams at places) in my answers barring 2-3 questions in every paper due to time shortage. So, it's feeling hard for me to guess where could I have lacked except the optional part where it could have damaged something (3rd attempt but 1st mains) unless I receive my marksheet to at least get a rough idea which will take 2 unbearable months more.

What should I religiously do from now on to improve chances of clearing mains.... ??

@Neyawn @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh plz kindly announce it if possible and give your views too over the question......

Regards: A desperate aspirant...... :neutral: :neutral:
Running my own group for editorials and MCQs now, don't care what anyone else says.

Feel free to join anytime at: https://facebook.com/groups/aim.upsc/

Comments

• My many friends have consistently cleared. Some of the things are certain:
    1) Way of arranging thoughts in concise and orderly fashion.
    2) Covering many dimensions in question which are relevant.
    3) Not giving too much importance to any one point. This frustrates conciseness.
    4) Good with basic data and examples.
  • edited January 12
    jal said:

My many friends have consistently cleared. Some of the things are certain:
    3) Not giving too much importance to any one point. This frustrates conciseness.

3rd point very important, linked to emotional intelligence, as we get emotional with our knowledge. Can you tell, where to put a stop, how much one should stretch any one point?
  • Platoon said:

jal said:

3rd point very important, linked to emotional intelligence, as we get emotional with our knowledge. Can you tell, where to put a stop, how much one should stretch any one point?
    You are asking me to do a thing, which you precisely pointed out as on must not do. You can learn form my above response.
  • jal said:

Platoon said:

jal said:

You are asking me to do a thing, which you precisely pointed out as on must not do. You can learn form my above response.
    Got it, very well! Thanks.
  • jal said:

thanks @jal bhai....... :smile:
    Running my own group for editorials and MCQs now, don't care what anyone else says.

• kouta said:

Some people consistently make it through mains. So, my question is if such people ever wondered or tried to do some free-time analysis ever regarding what are some of their qualities that help them clear mains repeatedly ?

I have also seen people who failed initially in clearing mains, sometimes even twice or thrice, but since then been clearing it repeatedly. So which areas they focussed other than of-course the content which helped them clearing mains then always.

As for me, I have legible writing, pretty good content (at least average type in all my answers if not very good) and used well structures (even flowcharts and diagrams at places) in my answers barring 2-3 questions in every paper due to time shortage. So, it's feeling hard for me to guess where could I have lacked except the optional part where it could have damaged something (3rd attempt but 1st mains) unless I receive my marksheet to at least get a rough idea which will take 2 unbearable months more.

What should I religiously do from now on to improve chances of clearing mains.... ??

@Neyawn @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh plz kindly announce it if possible and give your views too over the question......

I failed last mains by more than 100 marks...cleared this year...although i read less this year..
    Ek bhi diagram nahi banaya....writing thik thak hai but vision ne ek do time kaha ths make ur writing better...aur english bhi utni acchi nahi hai
    I did two thing different first...substantiated my ans and multi dimensionality.... Baki bhagwan jana i was not hopeful...may be i just get equivalent to cut off
    Aa raha hai......aaj ka modern dushasan ......upsc apni izzat bacha sakti hai tu bacha le........pre mains interview sab ka badla lega ye dushasan...
  • kamena said:

kouta said:

I failed last mains by more than 100 marks...cleared this year...although i read less this year..
    Ek bhi diagram nahi banaya....writing thik thak hai but vision ne ek do time kaha ths make ur writing better...aur english bhi utni acchi nahi hai
    I did two thing different first...substantiated my ans and multi dimensionality.... Baki bhagwan jana i was not hopeful...may be i just get equivalent to cut off
    From where do you keep note of facts and recommendation kf various committess. And did you note it somewhere
  • jal said:

2) Covering many dimensions in question which are RELEVANT.

Very nicely put. I feel like taking its Printout and sticking on study-table wall when preparing answer writing.

just want to add : 5) read the question as thoroughly as possible, and while writing answer always keep in mind what you need to focus on. (I mostly re-read the question many times during writing the answer, to be as concise as possible)
    Optional : PSIR
  • edited January 12
    kamena said:

kouta said:

first of all, very heartful congrats @kamena for making through mains, happy for you,......... :smile:

just one qn, apart from what u mentioned u did in GS, can optional or essay have any more role in clearing it this tym as compared to last year, matlab did u enhanced ur performance in it too (According to ur intuitions or analysis) .......... ??

• edited January 12

'substantiated my answers'
    ?
    Can you elaborate this @kamena
  • UVcan said:

?

Suppose u want to say npa is increasing.. U can say as per rbi financial report ...it is x % by sept and will become y % by march....same u can say according to niti aayog x report farmer income can be doubled if u follow y path....according to world bank india economy will be..highest growing.. (If u want to focus on good aspect of economy)..

Please note this is one of the way and NOT ONLY way and may not suit everyone like....using phrases in ans it never suited me
    Aa raha hai......aaj ka modern dushasan ......upsc apni izzat bacha sakti hai tu bacha le........pre mains interview sab ka badla lega ye dushasan...
  • kouta said:

kamena said:

kouta said:

first of all, very heartful congrats @kamena for making through mains, happy for you,......... :smile:

just one qn, apart from what u mentioned u did in GS, can optional or essay have any more role in clearing it this tym as compared to last year, matlab did u enhanced ur performance in it too (According to ur intuitions or analysis) .......... ??
    Bro although my optional is pub ad but my paper 2 optional was disaster... Being it easy and relativity is key in intra optinal marking....i lost hope on that day...so chances r less that it has contributed.. But one has to wait for marks .....as far as essay is considered i m not good in writing skill as well as in english ....so i went for factual essay ( farmer)...and 2nd essay was also only so so.....baki last year i got only 120 in essay so only god know...i still feel i am on boundary
  • dpagarwal said:

kamena said:

kouta said:

From where do you keep note of facts and recommendation kf various committess. And did you note it somewhere
    Yes i made a seprate file....for it...from newspapers and internet....i didn't bother about committee kyu ki hot issue par vision me mil jata hai.....
  • edited January 12
    kamena said:

UVcan said:

?
    Suppose u want to say npa is increasing.. U can say as per rbi financial report ...it is x % by sept and will become y % by march....same u can say according to niti aayog x report farmer income can be doubled if u follow y path....according to world bank india economy will be..highest growing.. (If u want to focus on good aspect of economy)..

Please note this is one of the way and NOT ONLY way and may not suit everyone like....using phrases in ans it never suited me

Nice example :+1:
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • jal said:

Very nicely put. I feel like taking its Printout and sticking on study-table wall when preparing answer writing.

just want to add : 5) read the question as thoroughly as possible, and while writing answer always keep in mind what you need to focus on. (I mostly re-read the question many times during writing the answer, to be as concise as possible)
    Bhai ye hisab se important hai...kai baar aadhe likhne ke baad pata chalta hai...question kuch aur puch raha hai....
  • Queen said:

kamena said:

UVcan said:

?

Nice example :+1:

• jal said:

• edited January 12
    lucky to live and learn in a world where so many are deprived of even basic necessities...
    hope to give them reason to live someday...
  • kamena said:

kouta said:

kamena said:

kouta said:

Bro although my optional is pub ad but my paper 2 optional was disaster... Being it easy and relativity is key in intra optinal marking....i lost hope on that day...so chances r less that it has contributed.. But one has to wait for marks .....as far as essay is considered i m not good in writing skill as well as in english ....so i went for factual essay ( farmer)...and 2nd essay was also only so so.....baki last year i got only 120 in essay so only god know...i still feel i am on boundary
    thanks @kamena :smile:

• kamena said:

UVcan said:

?

Thanks Bhai
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog