Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open! Community Meet 3 – June 10th | 2PM | Meet Anudeep, Abhishek, Sachin, Apurva and Ankita Mishra & the Toppers of CSE 2017

Political Science Result Discussion for MAINS 2017

Hello everybody
Consider this as dedicated thread for all those who gave MAINS 2017 with Political Science.
I was hoping to clear this time but could not.
Those who have cleared,can you share something which you think that clicked for you.
And also those who could not clear,please share which you think that didn't click for you.

Comments

• Psir ka kya rha is bar
    i know only 1 person who gave it all but still didn't make it.
    signature
  • Cant share abhi, cuz marks are not out! I am In, but dont know if its optional or GS! Will share after the final result if ita positive :)
    Mains-01 (864 Marks)
    Interview-01
    Tryst with Prelims 2018
  • out..paper didnt seem tough..may be checking was tougher this time for psir or down scaling..dont know..
  • Cant share abhi, cuz marks are not out! I am In, but dont know if its optional or GS! Will share after the final result if ita positive :)

All the best mate
    signature

All d best Sir, but do share ur strategy
    It's time to make it count !!

All the best bro :)
    Was it your first Mains?
  • In, 4th Mains
  • kehsihba said:

In, 4th Mains

If you can do share some of your strategies or anything you wish...
  • kehsihba said:

In, 4th Mains

COngrats Sir, Please hamein bhi kuch bata do
    It's time to make it count !!
  • Yes, it was my first mains!
    Mains-01 (864 Marks)
    Interview-01
    Tryst with Prelims 2018
  • kehsihba said:

In, 4th Mains

First of Congrats. This was my 3rd mains with geography optional and 3rd time i am out. I am thinking of switching my optional. In your opinion, how is PSIR if one starts from scratch? And how much time will it take?
  • kehsihba said:

In, 4th Mains

First of Congrats. This was my 3rd mains with geography optional and 3rd time i am out. I am thinking of switching my optional. In your opinion, how is PSIR if one starts from scratch? And how much time will it take?
    I'm also planning to switch to political science from geo.. political science guys please help about books to be refered.. Notes an all. How many time it will take to finish this optional if I start from Jan
  • Raj210 said:

kehsihba said:

In, 4th Mains

Multiple Revision + Limited Booklist

My base material was Shubhra Ranjan Mam Notes. Apart from it, I selectively read OP Gauba, Brian Nelson, Andrew Heywood. Relied extensively on internet for many topics, especially IR.

Revise multiple times, read basic notes, revise it, add your notes to it from standard sources + internet, revise it.....
  • kehsihba said:

In, 4th Mains

If you are planning to start now, then you have to devote 2 months before prelims to PSIR only..... Since, it was your 3rd mains, you are already familiar with the multiple topics of the portion... I also started from scratch after 2015 mains result....See previous year papers, if you think you can do it, go for it.....
  • Hello
    I am with philo optional now. Want to change to PSIRThere is no clear direction on how to tackle it. No one knows the best way of answer writing. No source is good enough. No teacher is. There is clearly exodus away from the optional. I haven't given mains with philo yet. But i am not able to manage the preparation. Let's put it that way and not delve much into why I want to change and rationality behind. I am sure that performance of philo and psir isnt my criteria. Ability to manage the optional is!

My GS prep is very average till now. Will have to dedicate 3 months to prelims to score 120+ and be confident of clearing. So even if I change to PSIR my idea is to start the prep of PSIR after prelims, join Subhra man's coaching and stick to her notes and give the test. Those with experience with PSIR, please throw some light on this. Is it enough to join mam's classes and follow her notes and supplement it with CA and is it manageable in 3 months after prelims?

• Hello
    I am with philo optional now. Want to change to PSIRThere is no clear direction on how to tackle it. No one knows the best way of answer writing. No source is good enough. No teacher is. There is clearly exodus away from the optional. I haven't given mains with philo yet. But i am not able to manage the preparation. Let's put it that way and not delve much into why I want to change and rationality behind. I am sure that performance of philo and psir isnt my criteria. Ability to manage the optional is!

My GS prep is very average till now. Will have to dedicate 3 months to prelims to score 120+ and be confident of clearing. So even if I change to PSIR my idea is to start the prep of PSIR after prelims, join Subhra man's coaching and stick to her notes and give the test. Those with experience with PSIR, please throw some light on this. Is it enough to join mam's classes and follow her notes and supplement it with CA and is it manageable in 3 months after prelims?

I meant no direction in philosophy.
  • kehsihba said:

In, 4th Mains

Dronaa said:

kehsihba said:

In, 4th Mains

I'm also planning to switch to political science from geo.. political science guys please help about books to be refered.. Notes an all. How many time it will take to finish this optional if I start from Jan
    kehsihba said:

Raj210 said:

kehsihba said:

In, 4th Mains

My base material was Shubhra Ranjan Mam Notes. Apart from it, I selectively read OP Gauba, Brian Nelson, Andrew Heywood. Relied extensively on internet for many topics, especially IR.

Revise multiple times, read basic notes, revise it, add your notes to it from standard sources + internet, revise it.....
    Hey, my friend who is a genuine gem in Political Science has recently started OPIONALS-PSIR 2018 on Unacademy . He is regularly adding videos and he promises to upload the entire course by 30th January, 2018.
    I would suggest you to have a look.
    Attaching the link- https://unacademy.com/user/amritanshu111-8385
  • Hello

I don’t want to add scepticism to your plans, but here’s my thought on your situation( my optional is PSIR)
    1. IF it takes you 3 months for prelims + your mains portion is half done or less, in such circumstances it isn’t prudent to shift your optionals
    2. Starting PSIR just after prelims even despite join Mam’s classes is going to be a nightmare, despite contrary saying by people, the portion of PSIR is vast and requires depth(just like any optional)
    3. IF you do plan to shift to PSIR, you will eventually compromise either prelims- GS mains- optionals , and none of that is healthy

My alternate plan for you (if you’ve decided to shift to PSIR) is
    1. Begin preparation of Modern history- Polity and Governance- Comparitive Politis of PSIR right away (buy Mam’s notes right away)
    2. Once you’ve done with these by mid April focus only on prelims, this will allow you to be familiar with the easiest and the toughest part of PSIR
    3. Then post prelims join Mam’s crash course and do the rest of the portion (mainly IR) and value addition
    4. Be prepared to work hard from now till April mid by managing prelims mains and optionals

If you work hard and are focused, I’m sure you can crack mains
  • kehsihba said:

Raj210 said:

kehsihba said:

In, 4th Mains

Thanks Brother :)
  • Raj210 said:

Hello everybody
    Consider this as dedicated thread for all those who gave MAINS 2017 with Political Science.
    I was hoping to clear this time but could not.
    Those who have cleared,can you share something which you think that clicked for you.
    And also those who could not clear,please share which you think that didn't click for you.

You can follow him in order to get an exam-oriented approach.. only if you wish
    https://unacademy.com/user/amritanshu111-8385
  • @kehsihba If you have any idea, then can you please through some light on PSIR Crash Course and Test Series of Shubhra Ranjan Mam and Test Series of Piyush Sir. Which one is better?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog