The Only Test Series you will ever need to crack Prelims 2017
Join ForumIAS Prelims 2017 Test Series – 31 Tests to cover the full syllabus – with 10 Sectional Tests6 Subjectwise Tests and 8 Simulator Tests ™ to cover the full syllabus. This will be supplemented by 2 Full Length Current Affairs Tests and 1 Test on Economic Survey and India Year Book. On your request, we have also included discussion classes/videos for each Test.

About IAS on QUORA.Is this the reality ?

edited November 2013 in Miscellaneous
i have gone through this on quora and saw this link

http://www.quora.com/Indian-Administrative-Service/Is-civil-services-a-good-option-for-an-IITian

Is the comment by an IAS officer true ?

friends,need ur insights.
·

Comments

• Well, no system is fair and he has exaggerated things way beyond reason. Is corporate culture clean, I was so fed up with 15 hrs shifts, 6-7 days a week in my previous jobs. I left them. One was of a software quality assurance guy and other of a prop. trader.

In the end I say take it with a pinch of salt. folks from IIT and IIM still aspire for services and I am one among them.

There are nuances, should we go beyond newspaper to know all that. Corruption, Transfer, Dhamki etc.

it the end it is an individual call, UPSC never forces IITians to join Services :)
    Mankind was corrupt from the time of Adam & eve, why complain now :) || कांथर हुनु भन्दा मर्नु राम्रो || वीर भोग्या वसुंधरा
    ·
  • Article likhne wala feku hai...ha ha ha....

"Lots of hot girls in 3BHK apartment" .....definitely he is not deserving to become IAS.....every job has it own sets of hazard and reputation....as @Thor rightly pointed out....UPSC didnt begged for him to join IAS..it was his selection if cant adapt...then he deserve to go to that 3BHK apartment....

Ekdum pakau article hai...ha ha ha...and demoralising too....this forum is to create confident, to discuss and boost one's morale for Civil service...

He gave example of Khemka...i dont think Khemka has this opinion. He is always clear with stand which only IAS can do....corporates will only do " XXXXXXXXXX (some term of mutual benefit i cant remember)"
    ·
  • @Emptiness

Kahi ye tumhari strategy to nahi hai...ki ye article padh log form bharna band karde...and you will be the only person to fill the CSE 2014 form....

So u will b the first ranker and last ranker of CSE 2014 :-)) =))
    ·
  • Guys the blogger is such a frustrsted individual. I was wondering how such ***** enter into the IAS and then compare it with a corporate job. That too he is saying he is a DM.
    He is talking about his friends posh apartments with hot girls, how it is a middle class mentality about IAS being considered the best job etc etc...
    If that was the attitude why did he take enter it in the first place?
    ·
  • long time back our very own Doordarshan telecasted a program which was anchored by Ms Neelam. The Guest was an IPS officer from UP Cadre. He was an IIM grad who had been working as an I-Banker. So when somebody asked why he joined IPS, he said that as an I Banker he was making hell lot of money. He would have commissions for the deals he would execute. But there was something lacking in his life. He felt no satisfaction in such work. So he gave UPSC exam and joined IPS. Then one day during his posting in western UP an old lady came to him for help. Turned out that land sharks had grabbed her land. She was all alone in her family with nobody to take care of her and this piece of land was the only hope for her. So he (IPS Officer) went and took action against those guys and handed over the land to the old lady. when the old lady got her land back, she hugged this officer and blessed him with moist eyes. and then he said that this was the moment he felt real satisfaction in his life. he felt as if he had done something really meaningful in his life. So this is what Civil Services offers you to make real impact on people's lives. I have hardly ever heard any corporate honcho make such a statement. So its upto us whether we want to make a positive impact, a negative impact or no impact. And lets not forget every career has its fair share of positives and negatives.

But Civil services definitely has a different charm to it :)
    ·
  • long time back our very own Doordarshan telecasted a program which was anchored by Ms Neelam. The Guest was an IPS officer from UP Cadre. He was an IIM grad who had been working as an I-Banker. So when somebody asked why he joined IPS, he said that as an I Banker he was making hell lot of money. He would have commissions for the deals he would execute. But there was something lacking in his life. He felt no satisfaction in such work. So he gave UPSC exam and joined IPS. Then one day during his posting in western UP an old lady came to him for help. Turned out that land sharks had grabbed her land. She was all alone in her family with nobody to take care of her and this piece of land was the only hope for her. So he (IPS Officer) went and took action against those guys and handed over the land to the old lady. when the old lady got her land back, she hugged this officer and blessed him with moist eyes. and then he said that this was the moment he felt real satisfaction in his life. he felt as if he had done something really meaningful in his life. So this is what Civil Services offers you to make real impact on people's lives. I have hardly ever heard any corporate honcho make such a statement. So its upto us whether we want to make a positive impact, a negative impact or no impact. And lets not forget every career has its fair share of positives and negatives.

But Civil services definitely has a different charm to it :)

@chinu_meena11 Thanks for sharing this at high time...
    ·
  • There is a poem by Cavafy - Ithaca

When you set out for Ithaka
    ask that your way be long,
    full of adventure, full of instruction.
    The Laistrygonians and the Cyclops,
    angry Poseidon - do not fear them:
    such as these you will never find
    as long as your thought is lofty, as long as a rare
    emotion touch your spirit and your body.
    angry Poseidon - you will not meet them
    unless you carry them in your soul,
    unless your soul raise them up before you.

Ask that your way be long.
    At many a Summer dawn to enter
    with what gratitude, what joy -
    ports seen for the first time;
    to stop at Phoenician trading centres,
    and to buy good merchandise,
    mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
    and sensuous perfumes of every kind,
    sensuous perfumes as lavishly as you can;
    to visit many Egyptian cities,
    to gather stores of knowledge from the learned.

Have Ithaka always in your mind.
    Your arrival there is what you are destined for.
    But don't in the least hurry the journey.
    Better it last for years,
    so that when you reach the island you are old,
    rich with all you have gained on the way,
    not expecting Ithaka to give you wealth.
    Ithaka gave you a splendid journey.
    Without her you would not have set out.
    She hasn't anything else to give you.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka hasn't deceived you.
    So wise you have become, of such experience,
    that already you'll have understood what these Ithakas mean.
    ·
  • There is a poem by Cavafy - Ithaca

When you set out for Ithaka
    ask that your way be long,
    full of adventure, full of instruction.
    angry Poseidon - do not fear them:
    such as these you will never find
    as long as your thought is lofty, as long as a rare
    emotion touch your spirit and your body.
    angry Poseidon - you will not meet them
    unless you carry them in your soul,
    unless your soul raise them up before you.

Ask that your way be long.
    At many a Summer dawn to enter
    with what gratitude, what joy -
    ports seen for the first time;
    to stop at Phoenician trading centres,
    and to buy good merchandise,
    mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
    and sensuous perfumes of every kind,
    sensuous perfumes as lavishly as you can;
    to visit many Egyptian cities,
    to gather stores of knowledge from the learned.

Have Ithaka always in your mind.
    Your arrival there is what you are destined for.
    But don't in the least hurry the journey.
    Better it last for years,
    so that when you reach the island you are old,
    rich with all you have gained on the way,
    not expecting Ithaka to give you wealth.
    Ithaka gave you a splendid journey.
    Without her you would not have set out.
    She hasn't anything else to give you.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka hasn't deceived you.
    So wise you have become, of such experience,
    that already you'll have understood what these Ithakas mean.
    One of my favourite poems, and very apt for civil services aspirants.
    ·
  • "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything."
    ·
  • @igirit wonderful! Thank you.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google