Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE courses. Click below for details -
(1) Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude (2) Ancient, Medieval History, Art and Culture (3) Modern Indian History
(4) Current Affairs April 2017 to May 2018 (5) International Relations and Internal Security (6) Geography
(7) 200 Most Important Topics for UPSC CSE Prelims 2018
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now.

ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

UPSC 2018 : senior advise needed

I was teaching in Kota IIT coaching . I was earning fine money and love my job. But I and my family want a stable govt. job so I am preparing for UPSC 2018 . In last 2 months I have completed much of NCERTs of history and geography and completed half of mrunal videos for economy and some other things . now problem is that by see the unpredictability of UPSC and my age 27 I am in dilemma of continuing preparation further . i lost my 1 lakh rupees per month(job se resign de diya) for studies and here people prepare UPSC for 3-4 years . Please advise whether I should go further or stop in this way .
I dont know much of the forum rules.
thanks .

Comments

• Bhai you have left your job for the exam toh ek attempt toh de do. Vaise bhi I guess coaching waali job toh tumko October(mains) ke baad fir se mil hi jayegi.
  • Thanks sir.
  • Well you yourself is a teacher, so a better judge but I think what you need is direction, proper booklist, little nitty gritties. Better if you can talk to either some one selected or @Neyawn.
    If you can devote energy with correct approach, then it is possible to clear the exam. Correct approach is very important.
  • 1 saal se approach bana raha tha sir. Problem ye hai ki books to le aaya but jab optional me scaling butchering ye dekha to thoda mamla bigad gaya.
    PSIR or anthropology for optional ?? This is the main concern.
  • Thanks bharat2017 sir
  • Any senior member plzz advise is it doable or achieveable?? I want a practical response. Coaching waale to sabjbaag dikhaate hain.
  • bhai kahin tum pauri garhwal ke launde to nahi ??
    Against Islamic terrorism, Hindu nation agenda of RSS, Communist bloodshed in Kerala and WB. Learning "how to become a rationalist".

हर हर महादेव | जय माँ भवानी |
  • Dekho bhai.. okhli me sar de diya to musal se kya darna..

Koi kam books pad ke select ho jata hai aur koi zyada pad ke bhi select nahi hota.

Also that you yourself are a teacher, so you must be knowing it that failure is a part and parcel of this exam just as is the case with JEE. Subjectivity is high and scaling is a reality.

Its your call to proceed further or not. After some failures one would like to go back to what was lost.
    "थककर बैठ गये क्या भाई! मंजिल दूर नहीं है। "
  • Let me put some pointers for you, see if it helps.

1. If you have just started this preparation like been just 2-3 months, then why think about the factors like unpredictability or uncertainty involved ? You have not given the exam so how do you know its unpredictable ? If you believe in such things then there are hundreds of rumors floating in the bylanes of ORN and Mukherjee Nagar!
    Stop listening to such things, not going to help you.

2. People prepare for 3-4 years or even 6-8 years too, but don't we have example of people clearing this exam in 2 years cycle or say First attempt ? Why can't you imagine yourself among those?
    Don't follow people, what they do or don't do, you just follow your dream or goal and give your best.

3.You have given emphasis on the money part in your question, like I was earning 1 lakh or good money, that's your call right? nobody forcing you to prepare for this exam. People go bankrupt while preparing for exam like UPSC, but that's their choice. isn't it ?
    Thinking about the money, will create roadblock in your preparation. stop thinking about it. You can any day go back to JEE coaching ! isn't it? that's not the case with the people from IT background or people leaving govt jobs like Scientist etc. so see the other side of the coin. No money fine ! but happiness? that you are following your dream ?

Now coming to practical aspect of this journey!

1. Certain level of preparation - This exam requires it. 6-9 months at least in my opinion before prelims. People who have started their preparation 1 year (or 9-10 months) before prelims have cleared this without problem in their first attempt. I don't know much about your preparation level. Before prelims you must revise the syllabus for at least 3 times and attempt a test-series too. That's the minimum people who revised multiple times and take regular tests, consolidate their studies and make short notes for revision have better chances of clearing prelims than those who don't do it. Still time is there so you can do it, but requires great efforts from your side, don't want to quantity it like 12 hours or 14 hours, that's your job to figure out.

2. Optional preparation- at least one reading of the optional before prelims or at least one paper of the Optional is bare minimum in my opinion.
    But there are very few bonds who did not study optional before prelims and taken coaching after prelims and appeared in the list same year! can you imagine yourself among them ? that's your call.

3. Right Strategy and Guidance: It is the key to clear this exam and also very crucial for people who faces dilemma like you at this early stage. Get in touch with some friends who are seriously preparing for this exam, take help of your teachers if taking any coaching else Forum is the best you can get for guidance. Utilize it for guidance only, don't take part in gossips or bakar, not for you at this stage.

4. Stay away from negativity and socialize the minimum, less friends if u are in delhi.

5. Stay away from girls :lol: . No alcohol consumption (though once in a month can be taken :lol: )

6. Be a guy on mission. Be positive, try to stay healthy, avoid outside junk food, avoid unhygienic places.

That's all from my side. Give your best shot.
    cheers :)

PS: this is personal opinion about preparation, everybody thinks differently and so you don't have to follow it blindly, just see if anything applies to you, just take that part.
    Against Islamic terrorism, Hindu nation agenda of RSS, Communist bloodshed in Kerala and WB. Learning "how to become a rationalist".

• Thanks yashwardhan sir.
    Sir optional kaunsa badhiya hai PSIR or ANTHROPOLOGY ??
  • edited January 7

Thanks yashwardhan sir.

Yaar ye to aap ko hi decide karna padega. go through these thread and see if anything help u. Specially if you see Newyan Sir's comment in any thread, please read it, it will benefit u.

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/18405/how-to-choose-optional-for-upsc-cse-ias

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/13178/which-optional-to-choose-between-psir-and-anthropology

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/18791/choosing-optional-for-2017-how-to-choose-optional

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/2376/optional-with-maximum-overlapping-with-gs

All threads for political science can be found here- go through threads relevant to your query.

http://discuss.forumias.com/categories/political-science

All threads for Anthropology can be found here- go through threads relevant to your query.

http://discuss.forumias.com/categories/anthropology

Analysis has to be your own. Don't take any optional just because some friend advised it. Put 2-3 days if needed to analyse properly. Read the syllabus, see previous year questions too.

PS- bhai sir mat bulao.

welcome to the "CIVILS WORLD" brother
    1. I too was a JEE PHYSICS faculty.
    2. After that I joined GOVT. job to prepare for UPSC.
    3. I cleared many exams initially but not FINALLY.
    4. I RESIGNED from the govt. job too to devote myself COMPLETELY for this adventure of civils!
    5. This adventure has now turned into "MIS-Adventure".
    6. Last attempt this year for UPSC and all that courage and "ENTHUSIASM" and "DREAM" at the age of 22 has seen a downward trajectory in these 5years! STILL I am MOTIVATED.
    7. But I am more SATISFIED in TEACHING than doing any other ODD GOVT. JOB.
    8. I worked HARD day and night STILL NO SUCCESS!! HARD means 3-4 hours sleep only!! STILL NO SUCCESS!! getting my point brother!! and NOW I HAVE FORGOTTEN ALL MY SCIENCE-MATH even because of this ASHOK-BUDDHA-SOCRATES-GANDHI-NEHRU-RBI-NABARD-BUDGET-CULTURE-ART!!!!!
    9. At least 1 year would be required to reach that level of JEE now. So, basically I have nothing except being remain MOTIVATED (FALSE CONSCIOUSNESS of MARX) now, so my journey continues.
    10.Here "GYAAN" will be freely delivered to you regarding your QUEST and ADVENTURE in this field by a lot of SENIOR VETERANS or even by NEWBIES but one thing I want to say "CONCEIVE, BELIEVE and ACHIEVE" but have the COURAGE to face the worst and have some BACKING!
    11.Now at last THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT ----------- WHY AM I NOT GETTING SUCCESS!! and why people get SUCCESS in this field so early and boast off??
    ANSWER- GET your HORRO-SCOPE (kundali) checked by some GOOD ASTROLOGER and ask him what "FIELD" would be better for you for making career (just an advise because ASTROLOGY is a SCIENCE and I hope you are a SCIENCE student). MANY would say that it's deviation from "KARMA" and getting into FATALISTIC mode BUT having read so many scriptures related to VEDIC INDIA/GREECE , I can CHALLENGE that untill "IT" (Civils yoga) is there in your horoscope , DO whatsoever under your capacity, IT IS already "written" where you will EXCEL and where you will PERISH!! PLEASE CONSULT ASTROLOGER and FOLLOW/DO with faith and belief whatever "UPAAY" she preaches !
    12. People will comment on this post, but as LORD BUDDHA says 'FORGIVE/IGNORE them because they are IGNORANT about what they are saying". IT is YOUR CAREER and YOUR DECISION. My BEST WISHES brother.

4. I RESIGNED from the govt. job too to devote myself COMPLETELY for this adventure of civils!
    6. Last attempt this year for UPSC and all that courage and "ENTHUSIASM" and "DREAM" at the age of 22 has seen a downward trajectory in these 5years! STILL I am MOTIVATED.
    8. I worked HARD day and night STILL NO SUCCESS!! HARD means 3-4 hours sleep only!! STILL NO SUCCESS!! getting my point brother!! and NOW I HAVE FORGOTTEN ALL MY SCIENCE-MATH even because of this ASHOK-BUDDHA-SOCRATES-GANDHI-NEHRU-RBI-NABARD-BUDGET-CULTURE-ART!!!!!
    9. At least 1 year would be required to reach that level of JEE now. So, basically I have nothing except being remain MOTIVATED (FALSE CONSCIOUSNESS of MARX) now, so my journey continues.
    10.Here "GYAAN" will be freely delivered to you regarding your QUEST and ADVENTURE in this field by a lot of SENIOR VETERANS or even by NEWBIES but one thing I want to say "CONCEIVE, BELIEVE and ACHIEVE" but have the COURAGE to face the worst and have some BACKING!
    11.Now at last THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT ----------- WHY AM I NOT GETTING SUCCESS!! and why people get SUCCESS in this field so early and boast off??
    ANSWER- GET your HORRO-SCOPE (kundali) checked by some GOOD ASTROLOGER and ask him what "FIELD" would be better for you for making career (just an advise because ASTROLOGY is a SCIENCE and I hope you are a SCIENCE student). MANY would say that it's deviation from "KARMA" and getting into FATALISTIC mode BUT having read so many scriptures related to VEDIC INDIA/GREECE , I can CHALLENGE that untill "IT" (Civils yoga) is there in your horoscope , DO whatsoever under your capacity, IT IS already "written" where you will EXCEL and where you will PERISH!! PLEASE CONSULT ASTROLOGER and FOLLOW/DO with faith and belief whatever "UPAAY" she preaches !
    12. People will comment on this post, but as LORD BUDDHA says 'FORGIVE/IGNORE them because they are IGNORANT about what they are saying". IT is YOUR CAREER and YOUR DECISION. My BEST WISHES brother.

Thanks yashwardhan sir.

wow, first time dekha hai kisi ko astrology ko support karte hue
    PS: not an astrologer
  • Most important thing in life is to avoid regrets. If you don’t give a serious attempt, you will regret later in your life. I too left my job at the age of 25(September 2016) Why? To avoid regret. This is something which I wanted to do. If I didn’t give a attempt then, I would regret for the whole lifetime. I gave my first mains this year. I am not very hopeful of getting selected in mains this year. Apparently I have lost some twenty lakhs of my salary. But I am satisfied. I will be writing another attempt. Bhai ab aa hi gye ho to maidaan me to fir wapas kya dekhna, ab ho jaye aar ya paar ki (Y)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog