Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE courses. Click below for details -
(1) Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude (2) Ancient, Medieval History, Art and Culture (3) Modern Indian History
(4) Current Affairs April 2017 to May 2018 (5) International Relations and Internal Security (6) Geography
(7) 200 Most Important Topics for UPSC CSE Prelims 2018
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now.

ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

How to make current affairs notes

I have started making current affairs notes for the past 3 weeks and am getting 4-5 pgs of notes/day after going through all the sources(TH+IE+RSTV+PIB). If this goes on by the time I write prelims in 2019 I will have close to 2500+ pgs of CA notes and I doubt that anyone can revise so much.How do I minimise notes I take per day yet get the important news? I currently note down facts and try to analyse a bit and end up doing too much unwanted research which alone occupies 60% of the notes, is that the way to go about taking notes? I read insights and iasbaba daily CA too and make notes based on that style , should I change it?

Comments

• 4/5 pages? That's a lot.

What kind of notes are you making? Are you including the editorials as well?

Ideally, a single page (one side of the paper/sheet) is just enough to jot down important points. And because you must have gone through the story, subsequent revisions would reinforce what you have written in points. Dont write all those lines - as in the real news - in your note. They eat up spaces, and our brains, at times.

I was a regular follower of Insights. But problem with their daily CA is that they often copy paste stuffs from the paper directly. Their detailed approach includes many things which can be winnowed off. If you dont have biases, please try Vision CA booklets once. They are pocket version of Insights but as relevant. By writing this, I'm not black brushing the Insights entirely. Their other offerings are awesome.

• Wakaao said:

4/5 pages? That's a lot.

Ideally, a single page (one side of the paper/sheet) is just enough to jot down important points. And because you must have gone through the story, subsequent revisions would reinforce what you have written in points. Dont write all those lines - as in the real news - in your note. They eat up spaces, and our brains, at times.

I was a regular follower of Insights. But problem with their daily CA is that they often copy paste stuffs from the paper directly. Their detailed approach includes many things which can be winnowed off. If you dont have biases, please try Vision CA booklets once. They are pocket version of Insights but as relevant. By writing this, I'm not black brushing the Insights entirely. Their other offerings are awesome.

I don't include editorials in those notes, I make around 10-15 entries per day(mostly economy and SC/HC related stuff). I usually write down the facts and since I am new to prep I write down new terms and topics to look up in net based on the article and write 2-3 pts on it.

I am looking for vision daily CA actually but I am only getting the monthly and yearly compilations and they haven't been updated for time. Do they do a daily analysis or just monthly and yearly complications?
  • Don't make any current affairs notes.
  • Jtb90 said:

Wakaao said:

4/5 pages? That's a lot.

I don't include editorials in those notes, I make around 10-15 entries per day(mostly economy and SC/HC related stuff). I usually write down the facts and since I am new to prep I write down new terms and topics to look up in net based on the article and write 2-3 pts on it.

I am looking for vision daily CA actually but I am only getting the monthly and yearly compilations and they haven't been updated for time. Do they do a daily analysis or just monthly and yearly complications?
    Ok, fine. I was assuming that you are including editorials as well. Dont miss out the important editorials. By important I mean relevant to the exam and not all those critical notes on political slugfest. Honestly, your approach seems good but what are those 10-15 economics/polity entries? That's too much for a day. And also, please cut down your sources. Pick one of the sources that you are currently dealing with, and stick with it. Have faith in your decision. Dont trouble yourself by thinking that you will miss out something if you dont do all.

Vision doesn't have daily stuffs coming out like Insights. They have the monthly thing. If you are not in Delhi, you can order the booklets via flavido. You can also try this. Write down the important stuffs from a single paper (eg. The Hindu). At the end of the month, get the vision booklet and cross check the entries made. This way, you'd come to know your standing vis-a-vis note making. But let me reiterate once again, please cut down pages consumed per day in notes making. Just the view of those papers can give serious headache in days leading to mains.

• edited January 7
    bhai if you are tech savvy and don't treat online note making as untouchable thing, then I would suggest utilize the Evernote or Onenote efficiently.
    Itne notes mat banao, been there, done that. Doesn't help much. 100 questions prelims me current affairs se nahi aate na !
    Against Islamic terrorism, Hindu nation agenda of RSS, Communist bloodshed in Kerala and WB. Learning "how to become a rationalist".

हर हर महादेव | जय माँ भवानी |
  • Jtb90 said:

I have started making current affairs notes for the past 3 weeks and am getting 4-5 pgs of notes/day after going through all the sources(TH+IE+RSTV+PIB). If this goes on by the time I write prelims in 2019 I will have close to 2500+ pgs of CA notes and I doubt that anyone can revise so much.How do I minimise notes I take per day yet get the important news? I currently note down facts and try to analyse a bit and end up doing too much unwanted research which alone occupies 60% of the notes, is that the way to go about taking notes? I read insights and iasbaba daily CA too and make notes based on that style , should I change it?

There are different approaches to making notes for the exam.

If you are new to the preparation,

first, read the newspaper thoroughly and daily. If you just do that, you will know more current affairs than some people who teach current affairs on various websites. Current Affairs stories develop over a period of time, and at the end of even 3 months of newspaper reading - with 100% attention, you will love the genius you would have become.

This however requires two things - first is, hav patience while reading and second is read daily. Dont miss a single day.

If you do not know which articles to read and which to skip ( this is a big issue for first timers ) , you can refer to the Must Read News Articles , which is now pretty refines and covers at least The Hindu very throughly.

You can also get the info of important news items in print edition from this page

http://blog.forumias.com/dailynews

Secondly, for Prelims , you can supplement it with any ONE magazine of your choice, you can do the magaxine 3-4 months before the exam ( or monthly and timely) . That will be enough.

Most of the facts and editorials will be coming in compilations later , and if you have been doing newspaper sincerely and daily, your learning and memorizing curve will be really small.

In case you still decide to make notes, you must go for just writing points , and not full reporting. Create headings and just write down the points.

For example, few days back UP Assembly passed the UPCOC Bill.

Arguments against
    Firstly, the UPCOC Bill could be misused against political adversaries and the press.
    Secondly, there were sufficient provisions in the IPC and the CrPC to keep a track on crimes which curtails the need of a specialized Bill.
    Thirdly, the Bill can be used to suppress the voice of politicians, farmers, social workers and journalists.
    Fourthly, it also breaches the constitutional right to freedom of expression.
    The Opposition has instead demanded the Bill to be sent to the select committee of the House for further scrutiny.

Even shorter than above. You can refer to a sample summary here

In case you would like to do, you can go for note making on e platform such as Evernote and One Note, They are pretty sleek and these days a lot of people use them.

However, you must make sure you do not just copy and paste, because if you dont write in own words, you wont remember. If you copy paste just to compile, the guys at vision, insights and forum will do a better job that you - so wait for their compilation.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Jtb90 said:

first, read the newspaper thoroughly and daily. If you just do that, you will know more current affairs than some people who teach current affairs on various websites. Current Affairs stories develop over a period of time, and at the end of even 3 months of newspaper reading - with 100% attention, you will love the genius you would have become.

This however requires two things - first is, hav patience while reading and second is read daily. Dont miss a single day.

If you do not know which articles to read and which to skip ( this is a big issue for first timers ) , you can refer to the Must Read News Articles , which is now pretty refines and covers at least The Hindu very throughly.

You can also get the info of important news items in print edition from this page

Secondly, for Prelims , you can supplement it with any ONE magazine of your choice, you can do the magaxine 3-4 months before the exam ( or monthly and timely) . That will be enough.

Most of the facts and editorials will be coming in compilations later , and if you have been doing newspaper sincerely and daily, your learning and memorizing curve will be really small.

In case you still decide to make notes, you must go for just writing points , and not full reporting. Create headings and just write down the points.

Arguments against
    Firstly, the UPCOC Bill could be misused against political adversaries and the press.
    Secondly, there were sufficient provisions in the IPC and the CrPC to keep a track on crimes which curtails the need of a specialized Bill.
    Thirdly, the Bill can be used to suppress the voice of politicians, farmers, social workers and journalists.
    The Opposition has instead demanded the Bill to be sent to the select committee of the House for further scrutiny.

In case you would like to do, you can go for note making on e platform such as Evernote and One Note, They are pretty sleek and these days a lot of people use them.

However, you must make sure you do not just copy and paste, because if you dont write in own words, you wont remember. If you copy paste just to compile, the guys at vision, insights and forum will do a better job that you - so wait for their compilation.
  • Jtb90 said:

Basically you are doing manual labour work which is being done by coaching institutes for us so I would suggest you to only read the newspaper and follow any daily CA coverage of coaching institute (insights editorial + daily CA or forum IAS 9PM daily brief) and make notes from these daily initiative so that you save the time on making elaborate notes from newspaper. At the end of the month compare your notes with vision current affairs magazine to see if you have missed anything.
  • edited January 7
    It used to happen with me as well, I used to write more than 3-5 pages of notes, but as I would revise and as time passed by, somehow my note making got better and is more concise now.

I think it's when you go back and revise, your note-making also improves as per your style.. just keep trying, you'll find a way to reduce the notes you make while not missing out what you want to note down. : )

Are you new to preparation? That could also be another factor, back when I was new, so many things look important, like the usage of some set of words pertaining to governance/polity/etc - I used to note them down as well, and look up general terms like GDP, repo rate, adjournment etc etc etc - but as time passes - you'll get used to such words or 'things' and will not be wasting any more time on either looking 'em up or noting them down, because you must've noted it down sometime before and are well-aware, so your notes will get shorter with time...

You can also look up efficient note-making techniques on google, you may find new ideas. : )

Best wishes
  • Neyawn said:

Jtb90 said:

Arguments against

• Wakaao said:

Jtb90 said:

Wakaao said:

4/5 pages? That's a lot.

Ok, fine. I was assuming that you are including editorials as well. Dont miss out the important editorials. By important I mean relevant to the exam and not all those critical notes on political slugfest. Honestly, your approach seems good but what are those 10-15 economics/polity entries? That's too much for a day. And also, please cut down your sources. Pick one of the sources that you are currently dealing with, and stick with it. Have faith in your decision. Dont trouble yourself by thinking that you will miss out something if you dont do all.

Vision doesn't have daily stuffs coming out like Insights. They have the monthly thing. If you are not in Delhi, you can order the booklets via flavido. You can also try this. Write down the important stuffs from a single paper (eg. The Hindu). At the end of the month, get the vision booklet and cross check the entries made. This way, you'd come to know your standing vis-a-vis note making. But let me reiterate once again, please cut down pages consumed per day in notes making. Just the view of those papers can give serious headache in days leading to mains.

Neyawn said:

Jtb90 said:

Arguments against

Tried implementing your tips and it has been good as far. My notes for today are just 2.5 pgs long( long but still I am reducing slowly) and the biggest factor is reduction of sources and cutting down unwanted resources. Looks like the advise 'Less is more' is true in regards to upsc prep
  • Wakaao said:

4/5 pages? That's a lot.

+1
  • I am working on a secret project to deliver Current Affairs for Prelims exclusively.

I went through Forum,Insights, Vision Material and saw that for Prelims a lot of things can be cut down in the monthly compilations. Like half of it can be eliminated.

I am compiling the magazine backwards, like from December onwards , so that news that has already been settled such as Triple Talaq - is not repeated in May or July '17 issue so that size of the study material gets reduced.

While studying we tend to be greedy and think that this is also important - this is also important and we end up reading everything. We also end up studying for Mains before Prelims, but the truth is that for Prelims , largely facts + some understanding is required.

If you are doing daily newspaper, just reading it , you develop a god understanding. For facts, we end up reading bulky material - in the greed that it will also help in Mains.

But when you write Mains, you will realize that we need all the Mains issues at one place and prepare dedicatedly those issues.

I will update you when I am done.

The goal is to have everything for Prelims, cutting down all from which questions cannot be asked and have the bare essentials for Prelims.

Also, you can now follow the must read news articles - which I am personally seeing ( and hence can vouch for it ). I refer to the print edition before doing it,so some web-only articles may not be there, but trust me it is sufficient.

• Neyawn said:

I am working on a secret project to deliver Current Affairs for Prelims exclusively.

I went through Forum,Insights, Vision Material and saw that for Prelims a lot of things can be cut down in the monthly compilations. Like half of it can be eliminated.

I am compiling the magazine backwards, like from December onwards , so that news that has already been settled such as Triple Talaq - is not repeated in May or July '17 issue so that size of the study material gets reduced.

While studying we tend to be greedy and think that this is also important - this is also important and we end up reading everything. We also end up studying for Mains before Prelims, but the truth is that for Prelims , largely facts + some understanding is required.

If you are doing daily newspaper, just reading it , you develop a god understanding. For facts, we end up reading bulky material - in the greed that it will also help in Mains.

But when you write Mains, you will realize that we need all the Mains issues at one place and prepare dedicatedly those issues.

I will update you when I am done.

The goal is to have everything for Prelims, cutting down all from which questions cannot be asked and have the bare essentials for Prelims.

Also, you can now follow the must read news articles - which I am personally seeing ( and hence can vouch for it ). I refer to the print edition before doing it,so some web-only articles may not be there, but trust me it is sufficient.

"Like half of it can be eliminated" YES!!

For 2017 I made notes from GKToday, only selecting those issues which were relevant for Prelims. The final notes came to be around 250-300 pages (vs. 1000 pgs of Vision). Even in these 250-300 pages I could identify the more important ones (schemes, reports etc.) which I could revise more intently.

I'll have to make the notes again this year, and it will be very helpful if someone else makes them (by Feb, Mar preferably?)
  • edited January 9
    Neyawn said:

@Neyawn Please explain
    At the end of the road, let there be no excuses, no explanations, no regrets
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog