10 Days to Prelims – 10 Things to Keep in Mind by Anudeep Durishetty CSE 2017 AIR 1
MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batch of Philosophy from10th JUNE(Evening) -5:15 pm & 14th JUNE(Morning)– 11 am
                                                " Highest marks 306 by Juhi Jalota rank 122 "

For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
,Website:- www.mitrasias.com
To know her strategy &answersheet: CLICK HERE

Geography Optional

Hello all Geography Optional guys,
Keeping in mind past Geography papers of past few years and its meandering trend, I would like to propose this thread as a platform to co-operate with each other fill the gaps.
Hope everyone will benefit from it.
Participation of Geography Optional Guys are extremely necessary to make work.
What is your take on 2017 Paper?

Comments

• #commenting to follow the thread.
  • @ForumIAS check this if it can be treated as announcement for the sake of geography optional guys.
    N.B. I am old member but changed the name due to privacy issue.
  • Geography is suicidography....I highly recommend to desist from this death canyon... Take it from me if u put even 75% of effort that is required in geography into anthro or philosophy ,can deterministically score 270 easily... If u think it helps in GS1, that's a naïve assumption to say the least , rather it proves counterproductive ( massive syllabus creates such a complex situation before the exam)... These ORN coaching walas often end up misleading students in a honey trap while chosing optional, for their own capitalisticgains.. i caution the aspirants of these selfcentered optional guides....make an informed choice guys...
  • edited January 7
    Clare said:

Geography is suicidography....I highly recommend to desist from this death canyon... Take it from me if u put even 75% of effort that is required in geography into anthro or philosophy ,can deterministically score 270 easily... If u think it helps in GS1, that's a naïve assumption to say the least , rather it proves counterproductive ( massive syllabus creates such a complex situation before the exam)... These ORN coaching walas often end up misleading students in a honey trap while chosing optional, for their own capitalisticgains.. i caution the aspirants of these selfcentered optional guides....make an informed choice guys...

100% true,especially the GS 1 part.I hope new aspirants don't fall in this geography trap.
    CSE 2016 Indian Police Service ( IPS )

CSE 2017 Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
  • Clare said:

Geography is suicidography....I highly recommend to desist from this death canyon... Take it from me if u put even 75% of effort that is required in geography into anthro or philosophy ,can deterministically score 270 easily... If u think it helps in GS1, that's a naïve assumption to say the least , rather it proves counterproductive ( massive syllabus creates such a complex situation before the exam)... These ORN coaching walas often end up misleading students in a honey trap while chosing optional, for their own capitalisticgains.. i caution the aspirants of these selfcentered optional guides....make an informed choice guys...

2015 me Geography ne Mera Mains Ka score kharab Kar diya. Ab 2017 me dekhna hai kya ho Raha.
  • Clare said:

Truth spoken......
    composite things decay strive diligently ..
  • Clare said:

True
    मैं खड़ा हूँ उसी दोराहे पे, आज भी इंतज़ार में तेरे !
    या तो ज़िन्दगी आये तेरे लिबास में! या मैं चलूँ फिरदौस की तलाश में !!
  • Aww... such a cursed optional. :-D
  • There is no point in cursing Optional in January. It is time to consolidate before plunging into prelims race.
    @Wakaao I saw your profile. May be we can collaborate.
  • @Trupence Grasshopper Sir, please give your 2 cent in this initiative.
  • There is no point in cursing Optional in January. It is time to consolidate before plunging into prelims race.
    @Wakaao I saw your profile. May be we can collaborate.

He has already collaborated. @Wakaao Isnt it? :p. Better luck next time..
    Prelims=1 ,Mains= 1, Interview=0
    Essay-141 , PSIR Optional.
    Ex-Geography.
  • Hi @Beuce :smile: I didn't understand your comment.
    How was your mains especially optional?
  • Clare said:

true
  • Hi @Beuce :smile: I didn't understand your comment.

Nothing,he would tell you that.
    Paper 2 was okayish. Paper 1 was fucking hard.

Ex-Geography.
  • Clare said:

Very well said. Agar lutiga doobi toh wo sirf optional ki wajhe se hogi.
    Ex-Geography.
  • Beuce said:

Hi @Beuce :smile: I didn't understand your comment.

Nothing,he would tell you that.
    Paper 2 was okayish. Paper 1 was fucking hard.

Same here..
  • Although I am on the same boat,but I have realised that making geography perfect in your next attempt is a myth. Everything stick to optional for the next attempt and consider the people who left out as stupid. But trsut me they much smarter and practical then others,who decide to leave this optional in the starting phase itself. First of all its the syllabus that kills,secondly its the out of syllabus questions that are aksed and after sustaining all this,kts the strong coaching i dustry kf ORN and MN which UPSC tried to defeat every year. And after all this odds,if an aspirant makes it to the list,he had already exhausted his 3-4 attempts ,ruined in GS with focusing on optional,remain underconfident throughout the failed attempts. As per many my seniours,Geography is a graveyard. I might give my second attempt with it,but not after that,thats for sure,no matter how confident I get with the syllabus.
    Ex-Geography.
  • Is there a way to better one's prep i.e. notes etc

Means many guys who scored above 280 this tym didn't have concrete strategy to tackle dynamic part!
  • @Trupence Grasshopper @Mudit_jain_ips sir can you tell about davis cycle of glacier erosion.
  • Is there any whatsapp group for geography
  • Hello all Geography Optional guys,
    Keeping in mind past Geography papers of past few years and its meandering trend, I would like to propose this thread as a platform to co-operate with each other fill the gaps.

Agree!!
    Dear Friends,
    Lets keep threads about Geography going, one reason why? is that these will be particularly beneficial for those not doing any coaching right now!!
    Here are 6 books which I have been digging at quite depth past years.
    You Gentlemen and Ladies, please mention any other book equally worth of digging you find.
    Let us see any ingredients that we are missing YoY. Please contribute to set thread in motion--

I put before 6 books +NCERTs + Couple of class notes from market of course!!! Anything more.
    2.jpg
    344 x 461 - 24K
    3.jpg
    208 x 320 - 27K
    5.jpeg
    546 x 832 - 57K
    6.jpg
    1066 x 1394 - 306K
    1.jpg
    761 x 1024 - 181K
    4.jpg
    1436 x 2209 - 434K
    2.jpg 24.2K
    3.jpg 26.6K
    5.jpeg 56.7K
    6.jpg 305.6K
    1.jpg 181.5K
    4.jpg 434K
  • Don't forget to practice old questions. Do them from that pdf uploaded on directionias website where questions are segregated by topic. It helps cover a lot of topics easily.
    Prelims - 2015 | 2016 | 2017
    Mains - 2016 | 2017
    Interview - 2016
    Final list - X
  • Don't forget to practice old questions. Do them from that pdf uploaded on directionias website where questions are segregated by topic. It helps cover a lot of topics easily.

Yes! Thanks. I have been doing them.
    Using Vishal's for the same!!

How regularly, thoroughly you do
    -> rupa 2 books.
    -> topic based book like geomorphology by savinder, oceanography, biogeography.
    because I don't follow these sources.
  • edited February 12
    anirudh91 said:

Hello all Geography Optional guys,

Agree!!
    Dear Friends,
    Lets keep threads about Geography going, one reason why? is that these will be particularly beneficial for those not doing any coaching right now!!
    Here are 6 books which I have been digging at quite depth past years.
    You Gentlemen and Ladies, please mention any other book equally worth of digging you find.
    Let us see any ingredients that we are missing YoY. Please contribute to set thread in motion--

I put before 6 books +NCERTs + Couple of class notes from market of course!!! Anything more.
    Add Geography of India - RC Tiwari. Regional Devpt part is good.

+

Rupa books are really good. The Soil segment (Biogeography) is given in short and succinct way. Also Slope Development.
  • edited February 12
    anirudh91 said:

Don't forget to practice old questions. Do them from that pdf uploaded on directionias website where questions are segregated by topic. It helps cover a lot of topics easily.

Yes! Thanks. I have been doing them.
    Using Vishal's for the same!!
    Vishal's? Bro @anirudh91 , is it some book Of solved papers? If so then please share the link. I'd buy. Thanks. :-)
  • Hi all.. I have written 5 mains with geography . Though now no more eligible for exam but I can help if you have difficulty in any topic. Just message the topic and I will try to help if I can .. Just give some time cause I will only be free on alternate weekends . Good luck to you all
    " DO NOT CRIB "
  • anirudh91 said:

Don't forget to practice old questions. Do them from that pdf uploaded on directionias website where questions are segregated by topic. It helps cover a lot of topics easily.

How regularly, thoroughly you do
    -> rupa 2 books.
    -> topic based book like geomorphology by savinder, oceanography, biogeography.
    because I don't follow these sources.
    In topic based books I have done , Geomorphology by Savindra Singh (not full). There are 3-4 chapters that should be covered from here in addition to Geomorphology from the Physical Geography Book.
    Another big benefit of writing questions is that you can easily cover the critical revolution/QR/Determinism and such parts directly by attempting these questions (As there isn't much to twist here).
    Prelims - 2015 | 2016 | 2017
    Mains - 2016 | 2017
    Interview - 2016
    Final list - X
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog