ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

Literature in English Language

I am preparing for UPSC 2018 mains and am thinking to select "Literature in English" as an Optional.

Gave my Mains this year in my grad subject(Geology) and was decimated completely.

I love to read and have decent command over the language too.

If anyone is interested or can provide any tips, it would be most gracious on their part.

Comments

• @DrKingSchultz @DrKingSchultz_old

Contact him(he scored 268 in eng lit this year)..by the way I need one help from you also..what was your geology score?why you are leaving Geo and challenges in Geo...
  • Thank you guys..

I lost out in Geology because I come from a petroleum background and what geology i have read is quite different from the geology asked.

Over-confidence killed me.
  • Thank you guys..

I lost out in Geology because I come from a petroleum background and what geology i have read is quite different from the geology asked.

Over-confidence killed me.

You’re welcome and goodluck!
    The End Is the Beginning Is the End
  • This was my choice initially, but then I changed.

Is there anything you want to ask in particular?

For starters, I'd recommend History of English Literature, by William J Long. It's reader-friendly, as far as my experience goes. Giving every page a good reading while focusing more from 14-16 th century literature, would lay the basic foundation for your optional preparation. (You can read any book you feel comfortable with, but one good reading of history of literature is a must, IMO)

ALWAYS keep the socio-political milieu surrounding a literary figure in mind, it should always be at the back of your mind while reading/analysing a work or writing answers, and a book like William J Long would help you do that adequately.

I wish I had my files and notes with me to share here with you, but I have none.

Best Wishes. :)

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog