ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

Guidance Needed.

edited December 2017 in Preparation FAQs
Maths optional 2nd Attempt-2018
Current situation- Dedicated wholly to optional prep till now. Currently taking test series for the same. Left with some portions of optional paper-2.
Reading newspaper regularly. That's it. No magazine no daily MCQ's.
Ethics- Made notes of some topics. No answer writing practice. Notes incomplete too.
GS- Haven't touched anything since prelims other than some topics in current.

Planned Targets- Complete optional, ethics and world history by December end. Hadn't planned anything post this. Wanted to focus on optional.

Dilemma-
1) When to start with prelims tests series ? I plan to JOIN one this time and most of them have already started their pre test series. What to do about this ? And is the last three months the time to takes tests or should i start with them right now ? I failed last pre because lack of revision plus exam phobia took over me.

2) What should i do now ? Some portion of maths left, ethics left and world history not even touched. Should i extend my deadline and complete these targets or move towards the others ?

3) What should ideally an aspirant be doing from this December to Feb.

Experienced as well as fellow aspirants please share your experiences and strategies.

Comments

• Prelims Test Series : At this point of time, You can start by revising your weak areas or by giving open tests {such as those conducted by forum ias and vision} to gauge your weaknesses. Start reading up on those topics and give corresponding tests {of any test series of your choice} {This should not be more than 2-3 hours per day}

Ethics : reading stuff and writing answers are very different. I believe one should give 1-2 weeks maximum for ethics reading along with attempting 1-2 mock tests and analysing their model answers. This should be enough for now.

World History : Do only if time permits now, or can be deferred post-prelims.

Maths : Try to complete as many topics as possible before April. Ideally one should have covered each topic atleast once before prelims. If that is not possible, then prioritise topics which one is more comfortable with at this stage.
  • Prelims Test Series : At this point of time, You can start by revising your weak areas or by giving open tests {such as those conducted by forum ias and vision} to gauge your weaknesses. Start reading up on those topics and give corresponding tests {of any test series of your choice} {This should not be more than 2-3 hours per day}

Ethics : reading stuff and writing answers are very different. I believe one should give 1-2 weeks maximum for ethics reading along with attempting 1-2 mock tests and analysing their model answers. This should be enough for now.

World History : Do only if time permits now, or can be deferred post-prelims.

Maths : Try to complete as many topics as possible before April. Ideally one should have covered each topic atleast once before prelims. If that is not possible, then prioritise topics which one is more comfortable with at this stage.

Thanks sir.
    I would ensure i complete as much as i can asap for optional. If you could tell how to go about Mechanics Paper-2 ? Which book to refer ?
  • Rigid Dynamics Vol 1 {Krishna Series} - Do chapters on Moment of Inertia, Lagrangian, Hamiltonian {Do not go too deep in Hamiltonian - just questions about find Hamiltonian and equations of motion}; It time permits go for conservation of energy and other chapters in syllabus.
  • Rigid Dynamics Vol 1 {Krishna Series} - Do chapters on Moment of Inertia, Lagrangian, Hamiltonian {Do not go too deep in Hamiltonian - just questions about find Hamiltonian and equations of motion}; It time permits go for conservation of energy and other chapters in syllabus.

Thanks sir
  • pls helP..how to solve this question:
    mains- 2017 (mathematics), paper-1 , question no- 2 (d)

regarding dimension of subspace U intersection W.
    MATHS_DOUBT.JPG
    1106 x 198 - 46K
  • dim(uinterw)=dim(u)+dim(w)-dim(u+w)
    possibilities of dim(u+w) -max 6 as subspace of V when 2 basis are common between u and v
    -when 3 basis are common dim(u+w)= 3+1+1=5
    -4 basis can not be common as distinct.
    hence, 2,3
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog