How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!

12 hours a day studying for months at a stretch: Myth or reality? Rankholders, tell us the truth.

Some toppers claim studying 12-15 hours a day normally (not before exam days) others swear by not studying more than 6-8 hours.
We see so many students in libraries on their desk from 8 in morning till 10/11 PM. Day in and day out. For weeks and months at stretch. Many of them "seem" really serious.
My query is how is it humanly possible to do so without burn-outs? Or is it a skill mandatory to clear CSE? How it can be done? Or is it a flawed strategy to begin with? (Cuz few of these library goers, I know have been following this routine for last 2-3 years- without even clearing Prelims once).
Or am I missing some secret truth?

All the rankholders/ UPSC interviewees, pls chip in with your study habit/period experience. @DrKingSchultz @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh @Neyawn @crazyphoton @RomanSaini
@mango_dolly @IWRA @woman @Etat @Sathish @Mitochondria @IceMan

Thanks in advance.

Why this post: Have written Mains this time, without much hope (Screwed up my Optional & GS1 paper). With my modest studying habit (6-7 hrs), I now sense, I don't stand a chance aganist these 12-15 hours putting people... As I am inherently disadvantaged in terms of time I can devote, even if I try my level best... :(

Comments

• @Cremator used to sleep for 12 hours/day...haha
    Prelims - 4, Mains - 2, Interview - 1, Service - 0.
    Expecting in Reserve List 2017.

• Namaste babuji... study hours do not have co relation with success in UPSC, factors like capability, right mindset, risk taking ability and quality of study play Important role.
  • @Cremator used to sleep for 12 hours/day...haha

@stonecold_srivastav bhai i am not a rank holder.
    But yes 12 hours sleep plus 2-3 hours of babagiri is essential for me
    2015- prelims failed by 1 mark
    2016 - missed final list by 9 marks
    2017- missed final list by 4 marks
  • Cremator said:

@Cremator used to sleep for 12 hours/day...haha

@stonecold_srivastav bhai i am not a rank holder.
    But yes 12 hours sleep plus 2-3 hours of babagiri is essential for me
    @Cremator Haan to rank holders n tumhare me farak kaha hai...infact kafi rank holders jhut bolke gumrah krte Hain..tum to sach kehete ho...
    Prelims - 4, Mains - 2, Interview - 1, Service - 0.
    Expecting in Reserve List 2017.

• edited December 2017
    "Last but not the least, never compare your study habits with anybody else’s. The ultimate thing is to feel good about your own preparation, and this can happen only if you are following your own instincts. For example, if you usually sleep for 8 hours in a day, then there is no need to cut down on that just because some topper said that he/she slept for only 5 hours. The idea is to respect your individuality at all costs."
    -Debotosh Chatterjee, IRS (C&CE), Batch of 2016 @sanskari babuji
  • Bhai simple hai... if you have before any exam you have to revise the material or syllabus atleast thrice and its depend upon a person ki wo kitna time main karta hai...inhave seen people crack UPSC in six months also and those who didn't qualify despite spending years.
  • BTW u tagged woman and gaurav
    U r an old player

Are you enjoying the thread and of not
    Seriously u shud make this thread earlier
    Good bye
    Jai hind
  • Any of the legends are yet to comment. @DrKingSchultz @Neyawn are active at present. Others might not be
    Bande hain hum uske, Humpe kiska zor
    Ummeedon ke sooraj, Nikle chaaron ore
    Iraadein hain fauladi, Himmati har kadam
    Apne haathon kismat likhne, Aaj chale hain hum...{AW>>STS=SES=A4}

3rd Mains*
  • I am not a rankholder but would like to share my thought:

1.)If you have a good base and have been working on UPSC dream from college and school for ex:Chakresh Mishra you dont need to study more than 4-5 hrs.

2.)If you are a fresher and this is your first attempt with no background then mostly persons who have qualified have worked extremely hard studying 10-12 hrs in general.

3.)If you score high in GS, Essay and Interview then you can get a rank even with 4-5 hrs study as these are relatively independent of amount of hours put in.

4.)If you qualify based on your optionals. Those guys would generally be preparing for years and would put in loads of hours to get a grip over optional.

So you decide which one you are and put in the hours accordingly to have the best chance. As luck and performance on day also matters.
    "If one takes care of the means, the end will take care of itself.
  • karan_004 said:

I am not a rankholder but would like to share my thought:

1.)If you have a good base and have been working on UPSC dream from college and school for ex:Chakresh Mishra you dont need to study more than 4-5 hrs.

2.)If you are a fresher and this is your first attempt with no background then mostly persons who have qualified have worked extremely hard studying 10-12 hrs in general.

3.)If you score high in GS, Essay and Interview then you can get a rank even with 4-5 hrs study as these are relatively independent of amount of hours put in.

4.)If you qualify based on your optionals. Those guys would generally be preparing for years and would put in loads of hours to get a grip over optional.

So you decide which one you are and put in the hours accordingly to have the best chance. As luck and performance on day also matters.

I am no fresher. But, still i feel I need more time than what I give now to cover intended weekly goals.

Am not talking about freshers with few months at hand and CSP/CSM in front. I see a hell lot of 'non-freshers' able to pull out 12+ hrs on a daily basis... For months at a stretch.

Burn-out principle inke liye applicable nahi hoti?
    Ya main hi sirf mentally handicapped hoon?
  • Work done on pushing a wall is zero.
    Smart hard work is the key to success.
  • edited December 2017

karan_004 said:

I am not a rankholder but would like to share my thought:

I am no fresher. But, still i feel I need more time than what I give now to cover intended weekly goals.

Am not talking about freshers with few months at hand and CSP/CSM in front. I see a hell lot of 'non-freshers' able to pull out 12+ hrs on a daily basis... For months at a stretch.

Burn-out principle inke liye applicable nahi hoti?
    Ya main hi sirf mentally handicapped hoon?
    Burn out har kisi ke liye applicable hota hai par burn out se recover kitni der me hota hai admi it depends on will, needs and desperation.

IN 2015 I also use to study or sit in library for 12 hrs but i qualified nothing, as i realised after 3-4 hrs nothing was productive. Now i am in IT job with hardly 2-3 hrs of study but still managed to qualify a very tough exam.
    "If one takes care of the means, the end will take care of itself.
  • edited December 2017
    I feel the critical part is not the daily hours you put in, but an altogether different thing - something that spreads over a peroid. It's the downtime. It's a time when you fel demotivated to study, and start liking lethargy. It can be a day, a week, or month or transalte into a bigger problem of de-spirited study over months. This is what you should try to address. Stay enthusiastic about reading, makin notes and practicing/analysing. Hours will come by themselves.
  • Just make targets and achieve them. Stop counting hours
    2015- prelims failed by 1 mark
    2016 - missed final list by 9 marks
    2017- missed final list by 4 marks
  • Cremator said:

Just make targets and achieve them. Stop counting hours

Very true bro..
  • Namaste babuji... study hours do not have co relation with success in UPSC, factors like capability, right mindset, risk taking ability and quality of study play Important role.

Study 1 hour a day only. Fir battein chodna correlation ki
  • edited December 2017
    I study more than 12 hour a day and not one month but since Dec 2016. Straight. No break. I am no rank holder. 2018 will be first attempt and last too either way. If I clear good if I don't it doesn't matter than much.
  • I feel the critical part is not the daily hours you put in, but an altogether different thing - something that spreads over a peroid. It's the downtime. It's a time when you fel demotivated to study, and start liking lethargy. It can be a day, a week, or month or transalte into a bigger problem of de-spirited study over months. This is what you should try to address. Stay enthusiastic about reading, makin notes and practicing/analysing. Hours will come by themselves.

You talk sensible my friend and with much clarity. Very good.
  • edited December 2017
    Smart study and other high sounding words are all farce. I get about quality 3 hours to study per day. Despite not wasting even a single day, I am preparing again for next year's prelims because mains was a disaster. 3 hours per day was not just sufficient what with ever increasing competition, and ever more hardworking aspirants.

Au contraire, I had a senior who had put all he had for the exam. He went underground for a year, and came out as a topper. He got into IFS. During local felicitation programs, he was all sober and said those holy lines, "UPSC preparations are all about smart work and time management. I never missed social gatherings etc. I maintained a healthy balance between fun and studies".

All lies.

My take - Sleep as much is required. Next, study. Take a day off once a week to rejuvenate.

All the best. :-)
  • Wakaao said:

Smart study and other high sounding words are all farce. I get about quality 3 hours to study per day. Despite not wasting even a single day, I am preparing again for next year's prelims because mains was a disaster. 3 hours per day was not just sufficient what with ever increasing competition, and ever more hardworking aspirants.

Au contraire, I had a senior who had put all he had for the exam. He went underground for a year, and came out as a topper. He got into IFS. During local felicitation programs, he was all sober and said those holy lines, "UPSC preparations are all about smart work and time management. I never missed social gatherings etc. I maintained a healthy balance between fun and studies".

All lies.

My take - Sleep as much is required. Next, study. Take a day off once a week to rejuvenate.

Than how mithali Sethi....shashank...surbhi gautam etc got selected despite of working full days.
  • edited December 2017
    Dorjay123 said:

Wakaao said:

All lies.

Than how mithali Sethi....shashank...surbhi gautam etc got selected despite of working full days.
    Bhai do not compare yourself with any other individual no matter he is selected or not. Those who get selected with job do not tell the whole story. I cant take name but a person who is in top 10 this year say in his every interview that he was working in a psu in his initial 2 attempts. And it is all about tine management. But he never told in any of his interaction that he was on leave for about 6 months in both attempts.l; that he was in ORN after prelims. That he get time to study newspapwr and even optional books during working hours.
    And then he advise others that it is easy to manage with job.
    But every job do not give such luxury.
    In 3rd attempt he got into service and this tine IAS.
    It depends on what job you are in and what is your knowledge base before starting of preparation.
    Lets tell you about another person. He got rank in 400 in 2015. Working in a maharatna company. But he was on leave for more than a year, was on the verge of being dismissed. But got selected in IRS customs. Then left that job and told in coaching institution in his hometown( thane) that cse can be managed with job. It is better to take a job and prepare. I used to study 4 hours everyday. Smart study is required. This is not a school examination.
    And the reality is that he used to atudy for 10-12 hours daily in vision library. Joined mains test series a year prior to mains. After prelims joined another test series. And increased his studying hours. Yes now he was studying for more than 12 hours each day.

Study 1 hour a day only. Fir battein chodna correlation ki
    Very well put....
  • Some toppers claim studying 12-15 hours a day normally (not before exam days) others swear by not studying more than 6-8 hours.
    We see so many students in libraries on their desk from 8 in morning till 10/11 PM. Day in and day out. For weeks and months at stretch. Many of them "seem" really serious.
    My query is how is it humanly possible to do so without burn-outs? Or is it a skill mandatory to clear CSE? How it can be done? Or is it a flawed strategy to begin with? (Cuz few of these library goers, I know have been following this routine for last 2-3 years- without even clearing Prelims once).

All the rankholders/ UPSC interviewees, pls chip in with your study habit/period experience. @DrKingSchultz @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh @Neyawn @crazyphoton @RomanSaini

Thanks in advance.

Why this post: Have written Mains this time, without much hope (Screwed up my Optional & GS1 paper). With my modest studying habit (6-7 hrs), I now sense, I don't stand a chance aganist these 12-15 hours putting people... As I am inherently disadvantaged in terms of time I can devote, even if I try my level best... :(

Some people do clock in 10-12 hours a day. I have met some of them. For example, @ ashed on the Forum ( Ashish , AIR 9) told me in no uncertain words on more than one occassions. I studied for 10-12 hours a day since school , even when I cracked IIT, I used to study. Some people do have equal and better performance even by studying 6-8 hours a day, but I am not able to do.

There is another candidate here on the forum, who cleared Forest and Police. He studied non-stop for forest without much sleep just before the exam, and secured a position. Though he was from IIM - A, he used to say that I am not very sharp, but I can work very very hard. He did not write the exam after IFoS and IPS in the same year. Akhil Patel, not very active on Forum. And one of the few people I admire.

Having said that, your chances do not depend on the number of hours, but about the quality of work you do in that and the intensity of mindwork you put in those hours.

And there are also people who study 10-12 hours a day and wont clear Prelims. This often happens because of lack if guidance or when they are focusing on the wrong things.

You stand full chances if you study even 4 hours a day, but then you need to have access to the exact notes and exact study materiel, so that the time you spend in scourging for it is reduced. Also, you will need photographic memory and tremendous amount of luck. For example, Suharsh, who secured 5th rank in 5th attempt, would often say - the year I put up my best studies, I did not get selected. ( He had quit Audit Accounts to prepare full time and didnt make it next year.) He studied a little less the next year and got IRS. He studied even less and got AIR 5.

Having said that, his cumulative knowledge over the years was high enough for him to have a brilliant grasp over the subject.

As far as you are concerned, you will have to decide how much time you have / can afford and make best use of it. Be precise, well guided,and whatever you do, do it well. That will be the key.

And if success was directly proportional to the number of man hours ( a minimum number of manhours is an essential condition, but not satisfactory condition ), you would always catch more fish if you fished 24x7. But that does not happen. You need to be better aware, know the weather , the climate and know where the fish is.

So yes, you have a chance.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • And thanks for tagging all the old guys :)
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • edited December 2017

banbhatt said:

Dorjay123 said:

Wakaao said:

All lies.

Bhai do not compare yourself with any other individual no matter he is selected or not. Those who get selected with job do not tell the whole story. I cant take name but a person who is in top 10 this year say in his every interview that he was working in a psu in his initial 2 attempts. And it is all about tine management. But he never told in any of his interaction that he was on leave for about 6 months in both attempts.l; that he was in ORN after prelims. That he get time to study newspapwr and even optional books during working hours.
    It depends on what job you are in and what is your knowledge base before starting of preparation.
    Lets tell you about another person. He got rank in 400 in 2015. Working in a maharatna company. But he was on leave for more than a year, was on the verge of being dismissed. But got selected in IRS customs. Then left that job and told in coaching institution in his hometown( thane) that cse can be managed with job. It is better to take a job and prepare. I used to study 4 hours everyday. Smart study is required. This is not a school examination.
    And the reality is that he used to atudy for 10-12 hours daily in vision library. Joined mains test series a year back.
    :neutral: but why do people do this? They could have simply told the truth instead of lying through their teeth
    Swag aur hypocrisy...

Lekin 1 ko me janta hu, usne reliance jaisi company me kaam karte karte nikala h(400s)..3rd attempt..

1st attempt k baad shayad ki kabhi 12 ghante padhai hui hogi(except 2 months before mains)...mujhe lagta h ki itna kuch hota hi nahi h (shayad isi liye ab tak mains nahi nikla kabhi).
  • banbhatt said:

Dorjay123 said:

Wakaao said:

All lies.

And the reality is that he used to atudy for 10-12 hours daily in vision library. Joined mains test series a year back.
    :neutral: but why do people do this? They could have simply told the truth instead of lying through their teeth
    Swag aur hypocrisy...

Lekin 1 ko me janta hu, usne reliance jaisi company me kaam karte karte nikala h(400s)..3rd attempt..

1st attempt k baad shayad ki kabhi 12 ghante padhai hui hogi(except 2 months before mains)...mujhe lagta h ki itna kuch hota hi nahi h bc(shayad isi liye ab tak mains nahi nikla kabhi). :D
    12 hrs :open_mouth: your fundamentals must be strong maybe that's why you were able to devote less time in your subsequent attempt. Wese i think that if one is done with static part thoroughly and optional then it shouldn't take much time to prepare. You just need to read Newspaper/CA , some writing practice, and some mains oriented topics like world history , society etc . mere toh poora time pre or Current and lil bit optional me hi nikl jaata
    bhai tumhara attempt number kaunsa h.. Why are you giving your precious time to pre these days(Agar abhi 1 bhi baar pre nahi appear hue ho to justified h) Warna pre 2 mahine me hi hota h...chahe 4 mahine dedo ya 2...baat barabar h.. Personal opinion.

Meri stithi to marks batayenge...Is saal 85-90% dedication tha but effort utna nahi tha..
  • Neyawn said:

Some toppers claim studying 12-15 hours a day normally (not before exam days) others swear by not studying more than 6-8 hours.

Thanks in advance.

Some people do clock in 10-12 hours a day. I have met some of them. For example, @ ashed on the Forum ( Ashish , AIR 9) told me in no uncertain words on more than one occassions. I studied for 10-12 hours a day since school , even when I cracked IIT, I used to study. Some people do have equal and better performance even by studying 6-8 hours a day, but I am not able to do.

There is another candidate here on the forum, who cleared Forest and Police. He studied non-stop for forest without much sleep just before the exam, and secured a position. Though he was from IIM - A, he used to say that I am not very sharp, but I can work very very hard. He did not write the exam after IFoS and IPS in the same year. Akhil Patel, not very active on Forum. And one of the few people I admire.

Having said that, your chances do not depend on the number of hours, but about the quality of work you do in that and the intensity of mindwork you put in those hours.

And there are also people who study 10-12 hours a day and wont clear Prelims. This often happens because of lack if guidance or when they are focusing on the wrong things.

You stand full chances if you study even 4 hours a day, but then you need to have access to the exact notes and exact study materiel, so that the time you spend in scourging for it is reduced. Also, you will need photographic memory and tremendous amount of luck. For example, Suharsh, who secured 5th rank in 5th attempt, would often say - the year I put up my best studies, I did not get selected. ( He had quit Audit Accounts to prepare full time and didnt make it next year.) He studied a little less the next year and got IRS. He studied even less and got AIR 5.

Having said that, his cumulative knowledge over the years was high enough for him to have a brilliant grasp over the subject.

As far as you are concerned, you will have to decide how much time you have / can afford and make best use of it. Be precise, well guided,and whatever you do, do it well. That will be the key.

And if success was directly proportional to the number of man hours ( a minimum number of manhours is an essential condition, but not satisfactory condition ), you would always catch more fish if you fished 24x7. But that does not happen. You need to be better aware, know the weather , the climate and know where the fish is.

So yes, you have a chance.
    Hello sir,
    I need some guidance regarding stratergy. I have created a new discussion. If you could please help out.
    I am really thankful to you for the session you took right after pre results to guide aspirants how to move ahead with prep. I have followed your advise till now which was to focus on optional and ethics. I need the same further on
    Here is the link http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/29067/guidance-needed#latest
    Thank you sir.
  • Preliminary:If it is your first attempt or you haven't been selected tilll now, devote atleast 3 months. Baaki 2.5 months are enough for prelims as per my view. Followed a disciplined strategy for prelims and always scored 20-30 marks above the cutoff.

It is mains which plays a major role in your selection, infact it decides the selection. So if you need 12+ hrs to erase your flaws, fine.
    If you have lacuna in one or two specific places, even 8 hrs would do just fine.
  • Preliminary:If it is your first attempt or you haven't been selected tilll now, devote atleast 3 months. Baaki 2.5 months are enough for prelims as per my view. Followed a disciplined strategy for prelims and always scored 20-30 marks above the cutoff.

It is mains which plays a major role in your selection, infact it decides the selection. So if you need 12+ hrs to erase your flaws, fine.
    If you have lacuna in one or two specific places, even 8 hrs would do just fine.

+1
  • edited December 2017

banbhatt said:

Dorjay123 said:

Wakaao said:

All lies.

Swag aur hypocrisy...

1st attempt k baad shayad ki kabhi 12 ghante padhai hui hogi(except 2 months before mains)...mujhe lagta h ki itna kuch hota hi nahi h bc(shayad isi liye ab tak mains nahi nikla kabhi). :D
    12 hrs :open_mouth: your fundamentals must be strong maybe that's why you were able to devote less time in your subsequent attempt. Wese i think that if one is done with static part thoroughly and optional then it shouldn't take much time to prepare. You just need to read Newspaper/CA , some writing practice, and some mains oriented topics like world history , society etc . mere toh poora time pre or Current and lil bit optional me hi nikl jaata
    bhai tumhara attempt number kaunsa h.. Why are you giving your precious time to pre these days(Agar abhi 1 bhi baar pre nahi appear hue ho to justified h) Warna pre 2 mahine me hi hota h...chahe 4 mahine dedo ya 2...baat barabar h.. Personal opinion.

Meri stithi to marks batayenge...Is saal 85-90% dedication tha but effort utna nahi tha..
    2nd attempt , phle me pre nhi nikla only CA , polity pdkr gya tha toh basic books abhi acche se nhi kr rkhi , or mujhe dar lag rha ki agr pre nhi nikla toh next year sustain nhi kar paunga me , isliye extra caution le rha
    GS mains ka paper itna dynamic aata he usme CA ke alawa kya pdu pta nhi , GS 4 jan me krne ka plan kia he
    Bhai thumb rule is... sari pre ki kitabe 1-2 baar padh rakhi ho pehle se to 2 mahine lagte h...
    Pre me 3 baar read(1)+ revision(2) ho jana chaiye..niklega hi pakke se...Ye sab 2 mahine me ho jata h...Is saal time zyada h 2 mahine 10 din pakad lo .. bas isse zyada ki, practically, in normal circumstances koi zarurat nahi h

Aksar hamara jaha kat jata h .. hum extra cautious ho jate h bekar me...Abhi time h 1 psc wagahra tayyar kar lo agar backup ki requirement ho to....

Ethics karne hi wale ho... Optional bachta h.

GS1 ki practically koi padhai nahi h..acche se ncert kar lena..wohi ans banawayegi mains wale din..(again personal opinion,)me funde pel rha hu shayad mera kat jaye agle pre me...but tarika yei sahi laga mujhe

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog