Write the Prelims 7 Times before you write it on June 3
Write Simulator Test 2 at 9AM on April 8. Get Scorecard same day by 9PM. Enroll now ! Do not wait till its too late! Enrollment Links :1) Simulator Tests : 8 GS Tests 2) Simulator Tests : 8 GS + 4 CSAT Tests
Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE Prelim's 18 courses. Click on the below link for details -

(1) Modern Indian History                                         (2) Environment & Ecology
(3) Polity, Current Affairs & Govt. Schemes            (4)Budget & Economic survey
(5) Geography with MCQ's                                        (6) Important Current Affairs
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now

FIRST ATTEMPT,NEW TO THIS WORLD

edited December 2017 in Books & Booklists
Dear All,

This is my first attempt @ CSE. I am a working professional and my target is 2018 prelims. I can take out 3-4 hours daily for study. I have prepared a list of subjects which form the part of prelims along with list of Books. A sincere request to all to look into the same and share your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in Advance.

The list goes like this-
Polity- Laxmikant(theory) plus current affairs(newspaper-The Hindu)
Ancient History-Ncert "but which one i dont know!!"
Medieval History-Ncert "but which one i dont know!!"
Modern History-Rajiv Ahir Spectrum
Indian Geography- (theory)NCERT Class XI and XII plus current affairs (newspaper-The Hindu)
World geography-(theory)Mrunal articles plus NCERT class 6 and 7 and GC Leong plus (newspaper-The Hindu)
Micro Economics- NCERT Class XI and XII plus Economic Survey
Macro Economics- NCERT Class XI and XII
Environment-No Idea about this
Art and Culture- No Idea!!

Study Plan-

Complete each subject in the sequence mentioned above plus read newspaper daily followed by solving previous year papers and mock tests.

Please give your valuable suggestions.

Comments

• Use search/google to open previous posts on this subject.
  • Thanks sir, i have created this list basis search. Any comments basis your experience?
  • Shankar IAS and Nitin Singhania
  • for modern history-Bipin chandra oe rajiv Ahir??
  • for modern history-Bipin chandra oe rajiv Ahir??

Some people only do Rajiv Ahir, I would advise you to do both, from mains perspective. And not the ncert Bipin Chandra, do his book - India' Struggle for Independence.
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • For economics- Sriram Ias' Economics module that is available in the market for around 200-230. Thats good for doing some basic concepts.
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • Queen ji ne sahi bola hai about 2 books but If you are starting your prep,history ke liye 1 book is sufficient. 2018 is not that far,you see.
    3 June or 1 October dono darwaaje par dastak de rahe hain.

• Apart frm those already mentioned, add these
    Polity - M.Puri' GS2 notes.
    Ancient n Medieval - ask for old ncert history to the shopkeeper in orn. Both of Class XI. Ancient- R.S. Sharma, Medieval - Satish Sharma
    Also do the new ncerts.
    Art n Culture- class XI new ncert for Fine Arts.
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • edited December 2017
    Bhai working professional ho .I don't know how to say this but list or subjects thoda kam karlo or priority thoda change karlo subjects ki.
    Time Kam hai.one cannot read and retain all if 2018 is the target.Baaki exceptions bhi hain.
  • edited December 2017
    If ur target is only to clear prelims - for history do only spectrum and one Sriram Ias' history module of abt 100 pages. It covers all history.
    And the fine arts ncert.
    Though I dont know what would be the objective of targeting only prelims.
    But maybe if u do newspaper everyday very well, u'll get through.
    Prelims has become a dicey game now. You never know what will suddenly become the main focus. The more u become selective, more it becomes risky. I have mentioned what I thought is important. You can choose from these.
    Also, there are abt 4months frm prelims to mains in 2018, so its possible u can cover some part later. But do either optional or gs complete before prelims. Else it will become a huge task even if u qualify prelims.
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • Sahi baat boli hai
  • Dear All,

This is my first attempt @ CSE. I am a working professional and my target is 2018 prelims. I can take out 3-4 hours daily for study. I have prepared a list of subjects which form the part of prelims along with list of Books. A sincere request to all to look into the same and share your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in Advance.

The list goes like this-
    Polity- Laxmikant(theory) plus current affairs(newspaper-The Hindu)
    Ancient History-Ncert "but which one i dont know!!"
    Medieval History-Ncert "but which one i dont know!!"
    Modern History-Rajiv Ahir Spectrum
    Indian Geography- (theory)NCERT Class XI and XII plus current affairs (newspaper-The Hindu)
    World geography-(theory)Mrunal articles plus NCERT class 6 and 7 and GC Leong plus (newspaper-The Hindu)
    Micro Economics- NCERT Class XI and XII plus Economic Survey
    Macro Economics- NCERT Class XI and XII
    Environment-No Idea about this
    Art and Culture- No Idea!!

Study Plan-

Complete each subject in the sequence mentioned above plus read newspaper daily followed by solving previous year papers and mock tests.

Please give your valuable suggestions.

Dear Prelims ka game 3-4 basic rules ka hai.. dont know about new comers, but i have failed prelism evenr and studied between 5 months to 2 weeeks for prelims in different years.

As other people have rightly written here, it is about reducing subjects and prioritizing your subjects.

here is goes

1. Polity- Laxmikant(theory) plus current affairs(newspaper-The Hindu) - high priority
    2. Modern History-Rajiv Ahir Spectrum ( high)
    3. geography 11th and 12th book ( multiple revisions + high priority )
    4. eco - just do ramesh singh. i did from old edition, now three four moe new editions have come, it will suffice.. mrunal is good too, but in the end you need book to revise.
    5. environment - shankar - bas chaat lo usko
    6. art and culture - ncert waali fine arts ki book se upsc ne 2014 me kaafi questions chhape the , but ab kam kar diya hai.. culture keep it low priority because whatever you read, you wont be able to answer much, unless there are basics... if you can find chtonicle special edition on culture that is the best compilation, or you can go for nitin singhania culture book.

bas itna kar lo.. and read one magazine thoroughly.. u can do chronicle if you like, or vision monthly magazine it is quite good.

rest ping me for any prelims realated thing.. prelims is the first level, tricky, but easy if you just do your revision nicely..

also join any one test series first ( dont buy all tests from market and end up reading solutions ) and write it well for 2-3 months.. and do past years papers well... really well.
  • or baaki @queen ne sahi bola hai...i was also once a beginner like you..keep coming back to forum..and i know your situation very well.
  • It's a humble request from a member to keep this thread total bakarfree and formal in nature..
  • It's a humble request from a member to keep this thread total bakarfree and formal in nature..

+1 or else no use of having the forum when anything you write or say is criticised or trolled.
  • Sahi baat boli hai

who has banned this account?
  • One of the most important thing is practicing the mocks as many as possible because no matter how much you have read or revised before the exam only your mcq solving abilities will decide your prelims results
  • Bhai New rahte rahte hi nikal jao is UPSC ke world se warna old hona is field me bahut achha nahi hai.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. They will really help me alot :)
  • @Queen -The idea is to test my mettle. Once i will be sure that i can compete i will quit my job.
  • @Vishwamitra_Rishi - Thanks will try to be selective in studies and go by plan as suggested by @BombayPirate
  • @Queen -The idea is to test my mettle. Once i will be sure that i can compete i will quit my job.

Don't quit your existing job. Never ever.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Deputy Collector and Sub-Divisional Magistrate - Gujarat.
    "Only through time time is conquered."

Don't quit your existing job. Never ever.
    Lets hope that situation never comes :)

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog