ForumIAS Prelims 2018 Open Test:Result Declared
A score of 80+ would be a good score whereas 70+ is a decent score.To Check Result Click here
There are some changes in Solution and Answer Key. Click here

Changing Optional - 2018

If you have or are planning to change optional please share your views on your previous and new optional.

Comments

• Definitely Political Science. You read 70% of it in GS anyway. If you have the requisite interest, it's just about going in depth.
  • I am thinking of shifting from geography optional to either electrical engineering optional or Marathi language optional.
  • I am think about changing from zoology to geo or V.Sc and AH

Are you the mantally the sick my bouy?
  • I had Public Administration. Thinking of either Mathematics or Political Science.

no geography bro. huge syllabus bizaree trend. better try in literature ...if u cover basis it ll never disappointu. 3 month prepn is enough to score 260+
  • siva4688 said:

I am think about changing from zoology to geo or V.Sc and AH

no geography bro. huge syllabus bizaree trend. better try in literature ...if u cover basis it ll never disappointu. 3 month prepn is enough to score 260+
    which literature?

may be ? why ? :mrgreen:

Don't change optional.
  • siva4688 said:

which literature?
    im tamil literature bro generally both malayalam , tamil literature have great scope to score over 70% if prepared diligently. my mentor used to give ample suggestions how one should approach tamil literature for great scores. but 3 straight prelims i wasnt clear so cant advice any in exagerrated things unless i experienced my 1st mains marks

Don't change optional.
    I have to change something... doing same thing and expecting diff. result is not a wise approach
  • siva4688 said:

siva4688 said:

which literature?
    im tamil literature bro generally both malayalam , tamil literature have great scope to score over 70% if prepared diligently. my mentor used to give ample suggestions how one should approach tamil literature for great scores. but 3 straight prelims i wasnt clear so cant advice any in exagerrated things unless i experienced my 1st mains marks
    Ok then I will take Tamil :mrgreen:
  • Krishnan said:

Definitely Political Science. You read 70% of it in GS anyway. If you have the requisite interest, it's just about going in depth.

+1
  • Electrical Engg to Political Science
    Conquering UPSC Mains 2017
  • Electrical Engg to Political Science

Can you please elaborate why such a change ?

Name hi hai mad
  • siva4688 said:

siva4688 said:

which literature?
    I am from Haryana...How much time it will.take to learn and score decent marks in Tamil?
    Is it possible in 3 months?
  • siva4688 said:

siva4688 said:

which literature?
    I am from Haryana...How much time it will.take to learn and score decent marks in Tamil?
    will tell u once
  • siva4688 said:

siva4688 said:

which literature?
    will tell u once
    Why not twice?
  • edited December 8

siva4688 said:

siva4688 said:

which literature?
    I am from Punjab. I was also thinking of changing my optional. Someone mentioned that Tamil literature is scoring and easy.

Just like @Vishwamitra_Rishi I was wondering how much time will it take for me to study Tamil literature optional. Next Mains in October. Can it be done till then?
  • siva4688 said:

siva4688 said:

which literature?
    I am from Punjab. I was also thinking of changing my optional. Someone mentioned that Tamil literature is scoring and easy.

Just like @Vishwamitra_Rishi I was wondering how much time will it take for me to study Tamil literature optional. Next Mains in October. Can it be done till then?
    Nope no literstur is easy unless u have proficiency in reading liotrrature n thinking process .
    U questions look like if I'm take hindi literature up could have score above average around 65% ? I knew it not could not even barely write my name in Hindi suggest in meaniong of I of u have some veteran mentorwho have. Experience in teaching through out his life then ur prep is competitive , rightght track . Though not onlyu could fiionish syllabus in 3 month but u can ensure I 'll be mastered on way to score more than 65% in exam. iorrsectivr of nature of questions.. this can applied to anyvliteraturr subjects. But problem ios very dioffoicult to find guru like parasuraama type. I m lucky to have one. Even though it makes me felt lazy somne
    After all whatever ootioonal u choose either u must enjoy to grasp profiocioecny or must forced to adapt jot of u want to badly need tobscorr better this is my thought buddy. Whatever optional its all lies how badly u want to perform it to score better is matters the most. Pls don't take loiteraturr unless if u don't have studied ur schooling academics in ur mother tongue subject.
  • siva4688 said:

siva4688 said:

which literature?

Lena hi hai to Gujarati Literature lo na, aur mains Ahmedabad se dedo. Kripa Barsegi!!
  • edited December 8
    Pali literature to sinhala literature or russian :p
  • edited December 8
    IceMan said:

siva4688 said:

siva4688 said:

which literature?

Lena hi hai to Gujarati Literature lo na, aur mains Ahmedabad se dedo. Kripa Barsegi!!
    +1. I'm an expert in Gujarati Literature.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • I am changing frm geography to odia litreature..
    composite things decay strive diligently ..
  • Kya yaar koi language hi nahi aati ache se
    sirf - English aati hai, Hindi thodi bahut likh leta hun
    Literature le to kissiki :(
  • Dead Man said:

Electrical Engg to Political Science

Dead Man said:

Electrical Engg to Political Science

Well mainly due to the time consumed in completing the electrical engg. and it can fetch u average marks easily but it is really difficult to get above 300+. Your GS prep. also suffers due to paucity of time, therefore I m shifting to PSIR nd now I can spend more time on improving my answer writing too.

Conquering UPSC Mains 2017
  • To all those seriously considering changing optionals based on UPSC CSM 2016 scoring pattern

UPSC varies its scoring pattern every year
    If CSM 2016 good performance fetched 300, in CSM 2015 it was 230-240
    just looking at marks inflation in CSM 2016 changing optional might be preposterous

PS: I have changed 2 optionals in IFS papers ask me the pain, 1 hi change karta toh sahi tha :(
  • siva4688 said:

siva4688 said:

which literature?
    will tell u once
    Why not twice?
    I don't tell people twice :neutral:
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog