How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class
Current Affairs ( Pre + Mains ) 2019 | 4 Aug | Attend First 3 Classes Free ForumIAS Weekly Current Affairs Classes commence from Saturday, 4 August, 5AM, at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.We invite you to attend the first three classes free
CLICK HERE to register for attending the classes on August 4, 5 and 11.

Current Affairs preparation dilemma

I wish to know from seniors who have written mains about to what extent Vision CA are enough?
Does one needs to supplement it. And how different are their monthly booklets from 365 booklets? Do we miss anything if we do not do the monthly booklets. Are they avoidable?

And a comprehensive review on various Current Affairs classes available these days -
ForumIAS
Vision 365 Classes
Chokkalingam
Vajiram
Luckmann

Comments

• I wish to know from seniors who have written mains about to what extent Vision CA are enough?
    Does one needs to supplement it. And how different are their monthly booklets from 365 booklets? Do we miss anything if we do not do the monthly booklets. Are they avoidable?

And a comprehensive review on various Current Affairs classes available these days -
    ForumIAS
    Vision 365 Classes
    Chokkalingam
    Vajiram
    Luckmann

+1, I have been reading vision CA and somehow I feel that it's more oriented towards mains exam than for prelims , so if any one could please tell me whether reading it is sufficient for pre , and what else I can do to strengthen my current affair part, i'll be highly thankful.
    signature
  • I wish to know from seniors who have written mains about to what extent Vision CA are enough?

ForumIAS
    Vision 365 Classes
    Chokkalingam
    Vajiram
    Luckmann

+1, I have been reading vision CA and somehow I feel that it's more oriented towards mains exam than for prelims , so if any one could please tell me whether reading it is sufficient for pre , and what else I can do to strengthen my current affair part, i'll be highly thankful.
    For internalizing current affairs one needs to discuss issues with people on a regular basis. Simply reading doesn't help much
    Sweet Victory!
  • Gameplay said:

I wish to know from seniors who have written mains about to what extent Vision CA are enough?

ForumIAS
    Vision 365 Classes
    Chokkalingam
    Vajiram
    Luckmann

For internalizing current affairs one needs to discuss issues with people on a regular basis. Simply reading doesn't help much
    thanks, but I don't know anyone whho would be willing to indulge in such an exercise :disappointed:
    signature
  • What i follow is insight and vision ias both...like I make notes on evernote so i make notes of insight daily and in the end when visionias magazine releases i scan the articles/news which not cover in insights by scanning their pdf.. thereafter i cover only those news that too by googling news not reading through visionias.
  • Gameplay said:

ForumIAS
    Vision 365 Classes
    Chokkalingam
    Vajiram
    Luckmann

thanks, but I don't know anyone whho would be willing to indulge in such an exercise :disappointed:
    .m
  • Dorjay123 said:

What i follow is insight and vision ias both...like I make notes on evernote so i make notes of insight daily and in the end when visionias magazine releases i scan the articles/news which not cover in insights by scanning their pdf.. thereafter i cover only those news that too by googling news not reading through visionias.

thanks, I am also thinking to switch to insights daily from December onwards
    signature
  • Try vision monthly + insights editorial.
  • just fucking read the newspaper. Supplement it with any 1 CA magazine to consolidate and revise at the end of each month.
    Telling from my experience as to why one should not run towards CA classes or multiple magazines or yojana/kurukshetra gist or editorials gist or several other compilations from multiple sites/institutes because

a) reading newspaper and various articles will help in essay writing

b) will help in development of analytical skills. Compilations will have ready made analysis and you will be limited by their viewpoint whereas by reading an original editorial or oped, you will devote some time on thinking and analysing which in turn will result in internalising because that is your own thought and analysis about a topic. And in mains, you will reproduce only what you have internalised

c) newspapers are fun, compilations/magazines are boring to read :D

Pre ke liye, I guess static regular books, PT365 and test series are more than enough. I was on borderline in Pre so not an ideal person to give suggestions on that front
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.
  • edited November 2017

just fucking read the newspaper. Supplement it with any 1 CA magazine to consolidate and revise at the end of each month.
    Telling from my experience as to why one should not run towards CA classes or multiple magazines or yojana/kurukshetra gist or editorials gist or several other compilations from multiple sites/institutes because

b) will help in development of analytical skills. Compilations will have ready made analysis and you will be limited by their viewpoint whereas by reading an original editorial or oped, you will devote some time on thinking and analysing which in turn will result in internalising because that is your own thought and analysis about a topic. And in mains, you will reproduce only what you have internalised

Pre ke liye, I guess static regular books, PT365 and test series are more than enough. I was on borderline in Pre so not an ideal person to give suggestions on that front

I second that. Everyone thinks listening Hindu edi analysis means they done with The Hindu. It doesnot go like this,CA has a majority weightage of say 350 marks approx out of 1000. You must be cautious while preparing for it,READING newspaper has no substitute,trust me. I have been the victim of this shortcut,which I considered smart work. You have to read The Hindu,make notes of it and supplement it with any magazine. No need of any other source.
    Prelims=1 ,Mains= 1, Interview=0
    Essay-141 , GS-396 , PSIR Optional.
    Ex-Geography.

ForumIAS
    Vision 365 Classes
    Chokkalingam
    Vajiram
    Luckmann

Vision PT365 are enough for prelims as per my experience.
  • I don't have issues reading the newspaper on daily basis. The problem is of consolidating, which is where these compilations help.

Also I am very sorted with which institute's notes ie. Vision but my main concern is Vision Monthly v/s their 365 booklets. The timing at which they are released is when you have suddenly 6-7 additional booklets to read. No doubt though they are more convenient than monthly magazines since the articles are fragmented and spread over and even repetitive.
    Should monthly magazines be avoided completely? Or both should be done as monthly revision and at the end as consolidating revision. (This is duplication of work, though).
  • just fucking read the newspaper. Supplement it with any 1 CA magazine to consolidate and revise at the end of each month.

Agree with you completely.

Though own notes and compilations multiply the sources to be revised. And both need to be complemented since either of them can't be comprehensive.

CA classes are in fashion, I guess. Additional notes/handouts/compilations, for the non takers. Added to that, pinch of more confusion and insecurity. Quite boggled over the need for them v/s to take it because everyone else is.
  • I don't have issues reading the newspaper on daily basis. The problem is of consolidating, which is where these compilations help.

Also I am very sorted with which institute's notes ie. Vision but my main concern is Vision Monthly v/s their 365 booklets. The timing at which they are released is when you have suddenly 6-7 additional booklets to read. No doubt though they are more convenient than monthly magazines since the articles are fragmented and spread over and even repetitive.
    Should monthly magazines be avoided completely? Or both should be done as monthly revision and at the end as consolidating revision. (This is duplication of work, though).

I would advise you to not avoid monthly current affairs booklets of vision even though pt 365 and mains 365 are copy paste (or somewhat improved/consolidated version) of monthly booklets. Vision generally releases (officially) these pt/mains 365 booklets before the 1 month of examination and it's very difficult to prepare as well as revise them in such a less time. Even if you manage to get them earlier it is still a difficult task to prepare them well.
    My strategy is Daily Newspaper reading (no notes making) + vision monthly booklets + vision pt/mains 365 at the end so as to cover the topics which were missing in current affairs booklets.
  • edited November 2017
    I followed last two years vision IAS monthly compilation,365 pdfs. After comparing all my conclusion is

Don't go for Vision 365 compilation for prelims or mains. (Unless u cover all static portion first then in end current affairs; it's not recommended also)

Reason is it ll spoil the entire revision plan ahead of exam. U wait for pdf one by one, then it drag for more days than expected then chaos.

365 is just cut copy paste of their monthly compilation (except few like schemes PT PDF).
    Also many things that really useful for exam given in monthly mag not included in 365. So it's better to create our own 365 from monthly magazine.

Every month download vision monthly magazine and sort it by sections wise, either in PDF or as hardcopy.
    I use Foxit phantom PDF editor to remove their advt, insert blank page in few places for getting every new Section like Polity, Economy etc in odd page before printing. Keep section wise every month, use the index for that subject to study in organised manner. Ie all month Polity sections should be in one place with all sections index in one page.

Only disadvantage from 365
    It is month wise polity sections, sub topics not got intermixed.
    But by the time u get 365, u already covered the contents, only see its index for any organising if needed.

Hunt alone
  • Is anyone interested in preparing The Hindu notes on daily basis?
    As single person I am not able to complete notes daily basis, its get interrupted.
    I want to form a group of aspirants like 5 max, to share different sections notes eg Economy page, international page, Editorial etc. based one one's interest different persons take a page and prepare notes then we compile regularly.
    Possibly we can from a group/ contact in telegram and organise our notes in Evernote.

Hunt alone
  • Lone Wolf said:

Is anyone interested in preparing The Hindu notes on daily basis?
    As single person I am not able to complete notes daily basis, its get interrupted.
    I want to form a group of aspirants like 5 max, to share different sections notes eg Economy page, international page, Editorial etc. based one one's interest different persons take a page and prepare notes then we compile regularly.
    Possibly we can from a group/ contact in telegram and organise our notes in Evernote.

I am willing to participate in such a group.I can do editorials and IR since my optional is PSIR.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.

+1 thanks
    Sweet Victory!
  • Lone Wolf said:

Is anyone interested in preparing The Hindu notes on daily basis?

I am willing to participate in such a group.I can do editorials and IR since my optional is PSIR.
    I am also interested ..shall we meet and discuss
  • Dead Man said:

I don't have issues reading the newspaper on daily basis. The problem is of consolidating, which is where these compilations help.

I would advise you to not avoid monthly current affairs booklets of vision even though pt 365 and mains 365 are copy paste (or somewhat improved/consolidated version) of monthly booklets. Vision generally releases (officially) these pt/mains 365 booklets before the 1 month of examination and it's very difficult to prepare as well as revise them in such a less time. Even if you manage to get them earlier it is still a difficult task to prepare them well.
    My strategy is Daily Newspaper reading (no notes making) + vision monthly booklets + vision pt/mains 365 at the end so as to cover the topics which were missing in current affairs booklets.
    Thanks. Have been doing that untill now.
    I think I'll incorporate Insights Editorials as suggested by nandini.
  • edited November 2017
    Lone Wolf said:

I followed last two years vision IAS monthly compilation,365 pdfs. After comparing all my conclusion is

Don't go for Vision 365 compilation for prelims or mains. (Unless u cover all static portion first then in end current affairs; it's not recommended also)

Reason is it ll spoil the entire revision plan ahead of exam. U wait for pdf one by one, then it drag for more days than expected then chaos.

365 is just cut copy paste of their monthly compilation (except few like schemes PT PDF).
    Also many things that really useful for exam given in monthly mag not included in 365. So it's better to create our own 365 from monthly magazine.

Every month download vision monthly magazine and sort it by sections wise, either in PDF or as hardcopy.
    I use Foxit phantom PDF editor to remove their advt, insert blank page in few places for getting every new Section like Polity, Economy etc in odd page before printing. Keep section wise every month, use the index for that subject to study in organised manner. Ie all month Polity sections should be in one place with all sections index in one page.

Only disadvantage from 365
    It is month wise polity sections, sub topics not got intermixed.
    But by the time u get 365, u already covered the contents, only see its index for any organising if needed.

Spot on. But what you are suggesting is tedious process. Plus I want to avoid Vision overdose.

• My experience says what actually works is write down everything u read. Make short notes from insights Daily News, newspapers and test series and revise notes before exam. Vision monthly is a good source if one is doing whole month regularly.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog