How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!

Magazine for geography optional

Recent Geography optional papers are more to do with applied part and topics related to current researches in Geography. Also in paper 1 the questions are difficult to get and are being asked by different names. Can any one suggest a proper strategy to get through it. Kindly suggest some good geography magazines/websites which one should follow .

Comments

• Chhodh do geography! Agar newcomer ho toh..aur already humare jaise gaddhe me ho toh roz mandir jao..bs!
    Prelims=1 ,Mains= 1, Interview=0
    Essay-141 , GS-396 , PSIR Optional.
    Ex-Geography.
  • running away is not an option.

Launde main dum hai...
    And I will whisper 'no'.

Launde main dum hai...
    Kuch karega ye bhai..likh lo..
    Ex-Geography.
  • Bhai, I do not think there is a need for the magazines for the geography optional. This is my strategy to sail through in paper 2 of the geography.

We all read for general studies and that is more than sufficient for this paper, however you have to develop a different strategies while writting optional paper and that includes

1. making the answer geographical oriented by using the already learnt concepts in geography.
    like for an example the question asked in 2017 " how small towns play a role"
    use concepts like cummulative causations, growth pole, core periphery, dependency theory, forward backward linkages, regional imbalances, etc.
    FInd out such more concepts to be used in every chapter of the Indian geography.

2. As far as difficulty level in paper 1 is concerned there are always surprise elements since 2013. I believe if one has read the basic books of the optional then it is manageable to score 140-150 in paper 1. last year they had asked newbegin floristic region and the one related to a climate report which i believe no one had a faintest idea. So stop blaming on the subject. We have to accept now that paper has turned into more on applied side and less on the rote learning.

I personaaly believe the outcry is by those students which have opted this subject just because everyone else were opting. Bhaiya "bhed chal " and bhid budhi will not do "wonders". Either leave this optional or accept the fact that it is now an applied subject.

• Recent Geography optional papers are more to do with applied part and topics related to current researches in Geography. Also in paper 1 the questions are difficult to get and are being asked by different names. Can any one suggest a proper strategy to get through it. Kindly suggest some good geography magazines/websites which one should follow .

Geography and you magazine or down to earth magazine or Yojana and Kurukshetra magazine. Refer only one of them. But let me tell you that ROI is very little as far as geography optional is concerned.
  • Beuce said:

running away is not an option.

Launde main dum hai...
    yr starting main sab yahi bolte hai but 2,3 attempt ke badh dum kam ho jata hai
  • Hi all,
    I think we can look for questions of masters level for geography of some good institutes like JNU, BHU, etc. This may help us get some idea into the minds of good professor in this field.

If any of you have friends that can help getting question paper. we can analyse whether the papers are of any help or not.
    Just giving an idea. If it can click.
  • Beuce said:

running away is not an option.

Launde main dum hai...
    yr starting main sab yahi bolte hai but 2,3 attempt ke badh dum kam ho jata hai
    Bhai mera toh pehle me hi nikal gaya..
    Ex-Geography.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog