How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!

Malayalam Literature Optional for 2018

There isn't much forums for Malayalam Literature, if anyone's interested in serious discussions and answer writing practice, let's help each other by keeping this thread alive.
For the night is dark and full of terrors

Comments

• aarum ille!! :open_mouth:
  • Seems like there ain't any. :(
  • Actually literature aspirants are jealous to share their knowledge as they feel it may hurt their prospects... And since there is very limited information about literature in Cyber space, people try to gain advantage by collecting books, articles from professor, bookshops etc. and they won't share the source. (I am also literature student. So I know this). You won't get good marks if u read only some generally followed books.. If u want 300-320+ collect extra materials, read them after finishing basic materials thoroughly.. Usually in literature aspirants with 2 or 3+ attempts will have very high advantage if they have added value to the preparation in each attempt. (This is from my experience).
    "Unpredictable" Public Service Commission and Uncertain Future.
  • Vakkoda said:

Actually literature aspirants are jealous to share their knowledge as they feel it may hurt their prospects... And since there is very limited information about literature in Cyber space, people try to gain advantage by collecting books, articles from professor, bookshops etc. and they won't share the source. (I am also literature student. So I know this). You won't get good marks if u read only some generally followed books.. If u want 300-320+ collect extra materials, read them after finishing basic materials thoroughly.. Usually in literature aspirants with 2 or 3+ attempts will have very high advantage if they have added value to the preparation in each attempt. (This is from my experience).

+1 that's true.cent percent . They won't share tricks , at all
  • siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

Actually literature aspirants are jealous to share their knowledge as they feel it may hurt their prospects... And since there is very limited information about literature in Cyber space, people try to gain advantage by collecting books, articles from professor, bookshops etc. and they won't share the source. (I am also literature student. So I know this). You won't get good marks if u read only some generally followed books.. If u want 300-320+ collect extra materials, read them after finishing basic materials thoroughly.. Usually in literature aspirants with 2 or 3+ attempts will have very high advantage if they have added value to the preparation in each attempt. (This is from my experience).

Do you want any tricks from this baby literature aspirant? i would love to share since there are no secrets these days.. I read 2 magazines regularly. I think everyone read them, though they dont realize that everybody else too is reading..It is a thing of pleasure to imagine that we are collecting some unique ideas while in reality every serious aspirant is doing the same( though there can be differences in the style of consolidating and personalizing these.).
    I know someone who is attending 3 coachings for the same literature optional and finishes the paper with 5-10 minutes left for verifying and someone else not having any coaching, has her own views about all the texts(esp in paper 2) and a fundamental ability to relate it to the current happenings but leaving 50 marks around... In a bird's eye view, the second one has been taught well about the sharing and caring thing it seems!
    Its upto the individual ofcourse..:)
  • Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

Do you want any tricks from this baby literature aspirant? i would love to share since there are no secrets these days.. I read 2 magazines regularly. I think everyone read them, though they dont realize that everybody else too is reading..It is a thing of pleasure to imagine that we are collecting some unique ideas while in reality every serious aspirant is doing the same( though there can be differences in the style of consolidating and personalizing these.).
    I know someone who is attending 3 coachings for the same literature optional and finishes the paper with 5-10 minutes left for verifying and someone else not having any coaching, has her own views about all the texts(esp in paper 2) and a fundamental ability to relate it to the current happenings but leaving 50 marks around... In a bird's eye view, the second one has been taught well about the sharing and caring thing it seems!
    This is not the relevant information.. Some literatures have become stagnant. No current works are going on (w.r.t syllabus topics). So u have to read articles, some exclusive books which are not available even in library sometimes... It will be available with only some experienced professors. While forming question papers they lift questions directly from these articles. I have observed this many times. And there are many other things not only finishing paper, but on how to write answers etc.
  • Vakkoda said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

This is not the relevant information.. Some literatures have become stagnant. No current works are going on (w.r.t syllabus topics). So u have to read articles, some exclusive books which are not available even in library sometimes... It will be available with only some experienced professors. While forming question papers they lift questions directly from these articles. I have observed this many times. And there are many other things not only finishing paper, but on how to write answers etc.
    This was not at all an information, let alone be a relevant one! if you have taken literature after listening the success stories, mistake!! but if you are taking it coz you love it, you will already be aware of or find ways to get those rare articles.. dont know about the stagnant ones though..
  • Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

I agree on ur last 2 points bro. I have no idea about other literature papers bro.but Tamil literature this year proved they make question papers in halfbaked knowledge way or ambiguously they make. All I aware of this year questions can make from veteran professor own notes. Which we discussed elaborately , conclude these years paper setters don't have sufficent knowledge to take questions from interesting themes of topics rather they simply take questions from my veteran professor own notes. ( hrs teaching over 45 + years. So I simply follow his own notes in paper 2 for most topics n for paper 1 utilise paper 2 knowledge in some questions . This is my approach. I m cqr3fully analysing paper questions comingbof past 5 years ten only confirmed to approach this way. Unfortunately no one in my literature aspirants aware of this ...lets see how much I got next October.I personally feel scoring more than 65+ in my optional is not difficult wit limited time.
  • siva4688 said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

I agree on ur last 2 points bro. I have no idea about other literature papers bro.but Tamil literature this year proved they make question papers in halfbaked knowledge way or ambiguously they make. All I aware of this year questions can make from veteran professor own notes. Which we discussed elaborately , conclude these years paper setters don't have sufficent knowledge to take questions from interesting themes of topics rather they simply take questions from my veteran professor own notes. ( hrs teaching over 45 + years. So I simply follow his own notes in paper 2 for most topics n for paper 1 utilise paper 2 knowledge in some questions . This is my approach. I m cqr3fully analysing paper questions comingbof past 5 years ten only confirmed to approach this way. Unfortunately no one in my literature aspirants aware of this ...lets see how much I got next October.I personally feel scoring more than 65+ in my optional is not difficult wit limited time.
    You must not rely on any professor's notes.. coz, aspirants from time immemmorial would have those notes intact and the issue of monotony will strip that individuality off your paper, that is what the best mentor for CSE in Malayalam has told my friends. He suggested reading a number of much acclaimed original texts atleast once and get ready with past 10 years questions.Many of these have relevance in current situation too dude. for example: a novel titled Indulekha is there in P2. It is the story of a bold n beautiful lady named Indulekha. She, those who have read the novel, can be taken as a model by many young girls who spoil their lives thru FB,WA etc. and trust me, every poem can have your own version of interpretation too( but it must not go out of the band or not politically incorrect)..
    Afterall, the taste is reflected in literature, if i may paraphrase the last year Rank 1. We need to develop that too to get 300+
  • Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

You must not rely on any professor's notes.. coz, aspirants from time immemmorial would have those notes intact and the issue of monotony will strip that individuality off your paper, that is what the best mentor for CSE in Malayalam has told my friends. He suggested reading a number of much acclaimed original texts atleast once and get ready with past 10 years questions.Many of these have relevance in current situation too dude. for example: a novel titled Indulekha is there in P2. It is the story of a bold n beautiful lady named Indulekha. She, those who have read the novel, can be taken as a model by many young girls who spoil their lives thru FB,WA etc. and trust me, every poem can have your own version of interpretation too( but it must not go out of the band or not politically incorrect)..
    Afterall, the taste is reflected in literature, if i may paraphrase the last year Rank 1. We need to develop that too to get 300+
    I agree on u bro. I should develop my own. Niche of literature knowledge but prof naguvsir notes gives us door to show how one should connect valid prose, n annotations in required questions with clear picture. Bro again I said I don't know about other optional, but in Tamil literature subjectivity knowledge if u want to cover to gain with vast knowledge in exam point of view .his self made notes is enough. Questions directly framing from his own topics but I completely agree what u said . wE should not fully depend upon any ones notes but problem in nyYliteraturr is nowadays people won't gain sufficient knowledge ibstrognly believe in my literature rich content with good handwriting is key to score better marks..but poor writing habitat like me 'll face tough battle in last day of already exhausted mind to face this paper if I appear next main.am already crossed 29 . Gave 3 orlrims so far never cleared prelims . Nothing to wish to face worse in this exam then my present scenario. lets see what holds my iLife ahead thanks bhai. Overall Tamil literature is toughest to cover n score thanany other literature bro. Malayalam syllabus is very short bro.
  • Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

In Bangalore, among aspirants community, I am hearing criticism that if u want to get 300+ take Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada literature (which is my optional)! Those who criticise us are not aware of pain we have taken to collect relevant materials, understand, interpret etc.... Its difficult to get mastery over literature in first attempt.. Its not too factual also (especially paper II)... So if u don't get command over subject, its gone..
  • Vakkoda said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

In Bangalore, among aspirants community, I am hearing criticism that if u want to get 300+ take Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada literature (which is my optional)! Those who criticise us are not aware of pain we have taken to collect relevant materials, understand, interpret etc.... Its difficult to get mastery over literature in first attempt.. Its not too factual also (especially paper II)... So if u don't get command over subject, its gone..
    It's ridiculous to hear ads like " getting to score over 325+ in Kannada literature"
  • Vakkoda said:

You're right about Literature aspirants being jealous to share their materials. Rather than sharing the materials I still think we should have discussions as each piece of poetry or prose is subject to different interpretations and it's beneficial for everyone
  • Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

I don't think current affairs has much role here ( alteast in Malayalam lit) from the past question papers. As you have said rather than having such deep knowledge on each topics, smart, strategical approach where you are able to convince the evaluator that you know shit about the topic is what actually matters (I think)

What's the point in having so much of knowledge if you can't finish the paper in time?
  • Vakkoda said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

This is so true. I'm doing my GS coaching in Vajiram now. And whenever I say to someone that my optional is lit, they'll be like oh you did such a sensible move I'm so jealous lit is a piece of cake, and trust me half of the people who say this can't even perform in their compulsory language paper well. :/
  • Acidburn said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

I don't think current affairs has much role here ( alteast in Malayalam lit) from the past question papers. As you have said rather than having such deep knowledge on each topics, smart, strategical approach where you are able to convince the evaluator that you know shit about the topic is what actually matters (I think)

What's the point in having so much of knowledge if you can't finish the paper in time?
    nanah! not the current affairs.. current trends in the literary world as seen in bhashaposhini, mathrubhoomi etc. one example is the debate about the poem 'Theevandiyile paattu'. there was a question regarding the same this year.. another was the comparison of mymuna of khasakk with karuthamma of chemmeen .. also, the real nature of Ayyappa panicker poems was another hot topic this time since it is 10 yrs since his departure... I have given Inulekha example, which was one part of a question too this time! Malayalam literature arena is very active and the paper setters are those who are staying really close to these movements!
    But,
    1)So much Knowledge + Normal/Avg language
    2)So much knowledge + Impressive language
    3)So much Knowledge + Poor language
    and other combinations of the above language skills with less/avg knowledge is there... just finishing the paper for the sake of finishing is a different thing though !
    Still, the attitude that literature is a cakewalk and not taking it as the optional is nothing but hypocrisy...
  • Lion_King said:

Acidburn said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

nanah! not the current affairs.. current trends in the literary world as seen in bhashaposhini, mathrubhoomi etc. one example is the debate about the poem 'Theevandiyile paattu'. there was a question regarding the same this year.. another was the comparison of mymuna of khasakk with karuthamma of chemmeen .. also, the real nature of Ayyappa panicker poems was another hot topic this time since it is 10 yrs since his departure... I have given Inulekha example, which was one part of a question too this time! Malayalam literature arena is very active and the paper setters are those who are staying really close to these movements!
    But,
    and other combinations of the above language skills with less/avg knowledge is there... just finishing the paper for the sake of finishing is a different thing though !
    Still, the attitude that literature is a cakewalk and not taking it as the optional is nothing but hypocrisy...
    Well tbh I didn't know we had to be that update with the latest discussions, I just used to pick up mathrubhumi weekly at times but I wasn't a regular.

This is new information. Thanks for that Mr.Lion King. :smile:
  • Acidburn said:

Lion_King said:

Acidburn said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

But,
    Well tbh I didn't know we had to be that update with the latest discussions, I just used to pick up mathrubhumi weekly at times but I wasn't a regular.

Accepting that thanks without any hesitation Mr. Acidburn ! :D
    And yeah, the reality is we need to be updated too( ..and without any benefits of overlap in gs/essay generally.. ) !!
  • Acidburn said:

Lion_King said:

Acidburn said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

But,

Same thing with my optional.. Lot of relevance to current society... For example 'Devaru' (Central Sahitya Akademy award winning book) - is a rational literature book related to existence of God... It was written in 1990s.. But still relevant today... The author discusses problems that arise due to creation of God, religion etc.. - I wrote example of Dear Sachs, Ram Rahim, Nityananda, superstitions etc - how innocent and even how educated people are fooled in the name of God... Another Kannada poet Kuvempu - wrote 'Kalki' poem in 1950s - still relevant today as he discusses issue of rising inequality in the society, plight of poor people and its impact on society leading to violence and revolution... So almost in all topics of syllabus u can find relevance.. Paper setters are also aware of ongoing issues ( one question in 2015 was directly lifted from a book review in leading Kannada daily - that article was published one month prior to exam!!)
  • Vakkoda said:

Acidburn said:

Lion_King said:

Acidburn said:

Lion_King said:

siva4688 said:

Vakkoda said:

But,

Same thing with my optional.. Lot of relevance to current society... For example 'Devaru' (Central Sahitya Akademy award winning book) - is a rational literature book related to existence of God... It was written in 1990s.. But still relevant today... The author discusses problems that arise due to creation of God, religion etc.. - I wrote example of Dear Sachs, Ram Rahim, Nityananda, superstitions etc - how innocent and even how educated people are fooled in the name of God... Another Kannada poet Kuvempu - wrote 'Kalki' poem in 1950s - still relevant today as he discusses issue of rising inequality in the society, plight of poor people and its impact on society leading to violence and revolution... So almost in all topics of syllabus u can find relevance.. Paper setters are also aware of ongoing issues ( one question in 2015 was directly lifted from a book review in leading Kannada daily - that article was published one month prior to exam!!)
    So in short we have to be updated with all the ongoing literary debates. Wow.
  • Sell your k1dney for money urgently, We need genuine donor only, We are ready to pay 2 Cr for one k1dney, Contact us today on Email: sathyakidneyhospital@gmail.com call or WhatsApp +917507435483
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog