ForumIAS Open Test 1: Results will be declared by 9PM, 12 th December.
Candidates can write Test till 2PM , 12th December by visiting Center or online by Clicking here Your OMR sheets are being manually evaluated.

Which is the best phone to buy under 18k?

I have broken my Samsung phone. It had anyway run out of its shelf life.

Wanted to get a new phone. Budget is a little extended from 8k to 18k.

One thing that is needed is good camera. Most cheap phones have shaky camera.

Friends have recommended me MI, but I saw one model of MI, whose camera was blurry .

So the priority is this way

1) Camera
1.5) Touchscreen should be good and responsive
2) battery life
3) small size for single hand typing
4) should not hang
5) good voice clarity

P.S. I have seen iphone getting cheap and can be afforded by extending budget to a little higher amount.

But I do not want to buy iphone as of now for obvious concerns, and it is single sim, whereas I need a dual SIM for Jio.

I have also taken a Jio phone but it is having loads of free data without whatsapp and chrome, so that phone is practically useless for me.

Good reccos with honourable phone experts will be appreciated with amazon /flipkart links.

TYIA ☺

Comments

• (1) Mi A1 - Very good camera+ Android one device so quick updates
    (2) Moto G5S plus - better camera than Mi A1 but costly than Mi A1.
  • Dead Man said:

(1) Mi A1 - Very good camera+ Android one device so quick updates

Thanks for replying.
    What is the size of the phone. I think the size of iPhone 6 is v good. Is A1 smaller or bigger than that ?

I am more inclined for MI as I have read very good reviews about it.

Just that the camera sucks.

I will take a look at both.

Just one last query, can I buy MI phones just like that or do they have that bidding /flash sale /pre booking concept? I am sorry ,but I have not bought a phone in 3 years and a lot has changed since then . So have such stupid doubts. Problems of half knowledge .
  • Nokia 6 or Moto G5s. Go for latter as it’s camera is 13 MP +13 mp dual back camera i.e, has two lens and will give you depth in pics, 8 mp front cam. It is very very good and has other good features too. It’s size is good and has dual sim.

Don’t go for Mi. It is garbage*. However if you want a water heater then you can. Just put Mi in charge and throw it in bucket.
    Moto is little brother of google flagship nexus series and has fantastic 18 months google support.
    Nokia has great specifications but it is a new player, still has miles to go to compete with established brands.

*Okay Mi users, accept it and take a chill pill.
    Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
  • anjus said:

Dead Man said:

(1) Mi A1 - Very good camera+ Android one device so quick updates

Thanks for replying.
    What is the size of the phone. I think the size of iPhone 6 is v good. Is A1 smaller or bigger than that ?

I am more inclined for MI as I have read very good reviews about it.

Just that the camera sucks.

I will take a look at both.

Just one last query, can I buy MI phones just like that or do they have that bidding /flash sale /pre booking concept? I am sorry ,but I have not bought a phone in 3 years and a lot has changed since then . So have such stupid doubts. Problems of half knowledge .
    Mi A1 is 5.5 inches same as that of Moto G5S plus. Currently there's no flash sale of Mi A1 so you can get it ordered anytime. But if you are looking for device with single hand usage then both of them are big. I personally own Mi A1 and it's running pretty good and overall performance is good for day to day basis. You can get anyone of these two both are equally good. Final verdict - if camera is your topmost priority then go for Moto G5S plus while software updates is your topmost priority then go for Mi A1 (as it's android one device so quick updates directly from Google also it's a pure android with little add-ons so fast)
  • Burger said:

Nokia 6 or Moto G5s. Go for latter as it’s camera is 13 MP +13 mp dual back camera i.e, has two lens and will give you depth in pics, 8 mp front cam. It is very very good and has other good features too. It’s size is good and has dual sim.

Don’t go for Mi. It is garbage*. However if you want a water heater then you can. Just put Mi in charge and throw it in bucket.
    Moto is little brother of google flagship nexus series and has fantastic 18 months google support.
    Nokia has great specifications but it is a new player, still has miles to go to compete with established brands.

bro now moto is owned by Lenovo. New moto gs' are not of same quality and build as old ones. Can's say about the latest one though.
  • Burger said:

Nokia 6 or Moto G5s. Go for latter as it’s camera is 13 MP +13 mp dual back camera i.e, has two lens and will give you depth in pics, 8 mp front cam. It is very very good and has other good features too. It’s size is good and has dual sim.

:D Okay, we accept that you're biased. :joy:

P.S.: MI is not garbage. It works just as well as Moto or any other. And the camera is great as well. (I own a Redmi Note 4.)
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • Motorola is a great option. Personally I would recommend it over any other phone in this price range. My Motorola phone is 2 years old but works as good as new. I'm more than happy with Motorola and for around 12-13k you can get really good specifications.
  • Belive me u wont get any better mobile than OPPO , its camra is just great , just check it out
    Depending on budget u can try different specs ( i myself ws Mi and samsung user but OPPO is far better)
  • If you don't have an iPhone. Well,you don't have an iPhone.:P Bhai agar Tab hai na koi sa, toh iPhone 6 le lo thoda push karke.
    Prelims=1 ,Mains= 1* , PT=0

Geography Optional.
  • Beuce said:

If you don't have an iPhone. Well,you don't have an iPhone.:P Bhai agar Tab hai na koi sa, toh iPhone 6 le lo thoda push karke.

An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
  • Beuce said:

If you don't have an iPhone. Well,you don't have an iPhone.:P Bhai agar Tab hai na koi sa, toh iPhone 6 le lo thoda push karke.

Thik hai bhai,tum Karbonn hi lo fir.:P

Geography Optional.
  • edited November 22
    For Single hand typing, Sony XA is better not best
    I personally recommend Redmi 4.
    Budget friendly and satisfy all Ur expectations.
    P.S:I am not biased.
  • iphone SE.
  • Think many times before going for an iPhone. The phones have been getting slower because of iOS updates. iPhone 6 has become very very slow after iOS 11 update. I would recommend going for a Xiaomi rather than spending a fortune of 50k to one lakh on a phone that is slow (or will become slow within a year).
  • Think many times before going for an iPhone. The phones have been getting slower because of iOS updates. iPhone 6 has become very very slow after iOS 11 update. I would recommend going for a Xiaomi rather than spending a fortune of 50k to one lakh on a phone that is slow (or will become slow within a year).

Kya slow hua bhai? Mujhe toh nahi laga kuch bhi slow..

Geography Optional.
  • Beuce said:

Think many times before going for an iPhone. The phones have been getting slower because of iOS updates. iPhone 6 has become very very slow after iOS 11 update. I would recommend going for a Xiaomi rather than spending a fortune of 50k to one lakh on a phone that is slow (or will become slow within a year).

Beuce said:

Think many times before going for an iPhone. The phones have been getting slower because of iOS updates. iPhone 6 has become very very slow after iOS 11 update. I would recommend going for a Xiaomi rather than spending a fortune of 50k to one lakh on a phone that is slow (or will become slow within a year).

bhai lagta hai seb aapka favorite fruit hai :trollface:
  • Beuce said:

kaafi seb kha liye, ab zara oreo toh khake dekhiye...
  • Beuce said:

kaafi seb kha liye, ab zara oreo toh khake dekhiye...
    Bhai seb khaane se nind kum aati,padhai me help ho jati hai..:P favourite toh hai bhai,jhooth kyu bolu..

Geography Optional.
  • Beuce said:

ios 11 is the worst thing to have happend to iphone. Either go for iphone x or dont buy an iphone at all.
  • edited November 22
    वाए दिस ऑब्सेशन विद कैमेरा? अंलेस यू वॉन्ट तो मेक सैमि-प्रोफेशनल वीडिओज़, कैमेरा क्वालिटी हार्डली मैटर्स। फोर गुड सेल्फीज़, एं एमैच्योरिष अंडरस्टैंडिंग ऑफ फोटॉग्रफी वुड सफाइस|

Koi bhi sasta sa le lo android waala, aur 4g waala, बिकॉज़ ऑल ऑपरेटर्स वुड ट्रांज़िशन टू 4जी सूनर ओर लेटर|
    तदबीर से बिगड़ी हुई तक़दीर बना ले, अपने पे भरोसा है तो एक दाँव लगा ले।
  • Redmi note 4 is the best phone in that range.. you can blindly go for it in that budget. Although camera is not that great but it is also not that bad. It take good pictures. Good means better than all phones in that price range. Rest everything is fantastic.
  • A5 2017
    4th mains| iss baar c**d maarenge
  • Honor 5X bhi accha he golden color ,metallic body, bdiya photo quality----like it better then 6x , 6X ka camera is fantastic but look wise accha nhi lgta
    signature
  • Iphones are overhyped phones. You can look for moto z play. Its dual sim..super amoled display... 16 mp f2.0 camera..and sexy look...most important its working on 7.1.1 and sure to get android oreo 8.0...i myself using it its great phone trust me.
  • Beuce said:

Then you have been the lucky Apple customer.
    iPhone 4S slowed after iOS 9 update. iPhone 5 and 5s slowed after iOS 10 update. iPhone 6 slowed down after iOS 11 update. Even iPhone 7 slowed down after iOS 11 update. I have seen all these phones getting extremely slow after these updates.

If the update slows a phone why is that update being released for that phone? There is something known as data obsolescing. After that you are stuck with your "premium" phone. Sasta lelo. At least panga hua kuch toh zyada monetary loss toh nhi hoga.

• Hey guys, what phone should I buy........ everyone screams iPhone
    Hey guys, what tab should I buy....... everyone screams iPad
    Hey guys, what laptop should I buy.....everyone screams macbook

Meri toh itni aukat hi nahi hai, abhi bhi 5 Saal Purana toota hua Asus phone use Kar Raha hoon

Therefore give iShit to such recommendations.

Apple fanboys/fangirls....please don't abuse me
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods

Meri toh itni aukat hi nahi hai, abhi bhi 5 Saal Purana toota hua Asus phone use Kar Raha hoon

+1 :lol:
    I possess a basic Microsoft phone.
    Sweet Victory!

wat about iAS image
  • edited November 22
    Burger said:

Rabid!
    :blush: :blush:
    Work is hard. Distractions are plentiful. And time is short.
    Self-reverence, self-knowledge, self-control; these three alone lead one to sovereign power
    Pre-2, Mains-2*, Interview-0
  • edited November 22
    I have used Samsung, Mi, Moto and Windows phones in last 3 years.

My 2 cents:
    Samsung would be the worst choice in under 20k category, as alternatives available in that price are much better.
    Windows telephony is dead.
    Mi is good, but will suck in some aspects really bad (overheating, slow updates,customer service...)
    Moto leads the pack, esp in under 20k category.
    Go for G5 plus(14k, launched May 2017) instead of G5s plus(16k, launched Oct '17) as what the latter offers as improvements upon the former is not much significant.

Other wise, G5s should be ideal.
    anjus said:

I have broken my Samsung phone. It had anyway run out of its shelf life.

Wanted to get a new phone. Budget is a little extended from 8k to 18k.

So the priority is this way

1) Camera
    1.5) Touchscreen should be good and responsive
    2) battery life
    3) small size for single hand typing
    4) should not hang
    5) good voice clarity

P.S. I have seen iphone getting cheap and can be afforded by extending budget to a little higher amount.

But I do not want to buy iphone as of now for obvious concerns, and it is single sim, whereas I need a dual SIM for Jio.

I have also taken a Jio phone but it is having loads of free data without whatsapp and chrome, so that phone is practically useless for me.

Good reccos with honourable phone experts will be appreciated with amazon /flipkart links.

TYIA ☺

Work is hard. Distractions are plentiful. And time is short.
    Self-reverence, self-knowledge, self-control; these three alone lead one to sovereign power
    Pre-2, Mains-2*, Interview-0
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog